Author Topic: Big 4 Parks  (Read 8469 times)

Offline darren

• Hard Top Camper User
  • "Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius"
    • CampingAustralia.org
Re: Big 4 Parks
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2011, 07:09:07 AM »
That was 120 bucks for an un powered site at a park without a pool from memory GD
Living the Dream.

Offline Gunna Do

• "To Infinity and Beyond"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2011, 07:18:05 AM »
That was 120 bucks for an un powered site at a park without a pool from memory GD

Yeah that's right.  Unpowered piece of grass, and if we wanted a swim we had to go to the council pool outside the park.

To be accurate the price quoted was $117.00 (with a 10% Big4 members discount), so that would have been $130.00 full price (2 x adults and 2 x teenage kids).

What amazed me was the park was almost full, so there are plenty of people out there prepared to pay.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 07:22:36 AM by Gunna Do »

Offline griz066

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2011, 08:05:47 AM »
My wife & I stay away from parks that aren't dog friendly (even if we're traveling ourselves).  Would prefer to support the guys that welcome our 4 legged mates :)

So no Big4 for us.
X2 for us and they are few and far between. We found a great one at Caloundra that will do us fine when we get the urge to go to the coast. Have stayed at Treasure Island Big 4 on Gold Coast when we had the billy lids, they absolutly loved it. So they have a place, just not for everyone.
Yesterday's Gone, Tomorrow Hasn't Happened, Live For Today.
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=12950.msg192834#msg192834

Offline Crisp Image

• Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again!
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2011, 08:43:51 AM »
When at the Melbourne Caravan and camping show we were told that from July 1st Big $4 parks will be able to have dogs. Not sure if it was all parks though.
Regards
Crisp Image

2008 Outback Sturt, 2010 Prado 150 D4D Tug

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2011, 09:07:37 AM »
When at the Melbourne Caravan and camping show we were told that from July 1st Big $4 parks will be able to have dogs. Not sure if it was all parks though.

Up to the park owners discretion I believe
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Matto

• Don't Follow Me - I Won't Make It
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2011, 01:19:44 PM »
We stayed in the Big 4 Cairns Coconut Holiday Resort  for a few nights on our way back from up the Cape.  
That's just down the road from our house. It's expensive, yes, but for kids it's a wonderful place. Friends of ours book an unpowered site for the night there, but don't actually bother about taking their tent. They use the facilities all day - kids have a ball. Then go home for dinner and to sleep, and come back the next morning for a couple of hours play. It's a cheap water-park weekend for them, and the kids have a blast. They don't do it every weekend, but occasionally it's great.

I don't think it's just the Big4 parks that are expensive, although they're probably the most visible. We've stayed at three independent places in the last 9 months - two proper caravan parks (one in SEQ, one up here) and just a general camping spot. Each of them has been over $30/night for a basic, unpowered patch of grass. A powered site is usually only $5 more, which I find confusing, but I guess you're paying for the floorspace, not necessarily the power.

I suspect it's just the way the market is going. If people will pay the $30/night, then as a park owner you'd be silly to charge less. Their costs are probably going up all the time as well.

Thanks!
Matto :)
"I have a bunch of junk that is not any better than yours." - MoGas - ExPo member #226.

Offline listo

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2011, 07:48:48 PM »
I notice there are a few here that don't like parks without dogs. If you are ever up that way, can i recommend the Beachcomber at Cardwell. It's a beautiful tidy park, nice pool for kids and adults, pet friendly, happy hour every day at the bar over looking the beach, and the owners (Graeme and Sandy) are the loveliest people you would meet. We were there over christmas and new years in a fishermans cabin and they've got us for life now  ;D
As for the big 4 parks, lesson learned, i'll stay away from Rocky now. Cania is dear too, $48 a night but at least it's powered and there's a jumping pillow that will keep the kids going for hours. When there's choices and i'm a bit better set up, the parks can get stuffed if we don't have to stay there and we'll just go down the creek for the night or weekend.
Listo

Offline Matto

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2011, 09:03:57 AM »
If you are ever up that way, can i recommend the Beachcomber at Cardwell.
Not trying to be funny Listo, but do you know if it's still there?

It sounds like a nice place for a quick getaway, but I know a lot of the businesses in Cardwell (especially those along the front) have taken such a bettering earlier this year that the owners have given up and won't be rebuilding. It's sad, because Cardwell is such a picturesque spot, but I can't say I blame them. To have spent to much hard work and tears after Larry rebuilding, only to have your hard work destroyed overnight again - the psychological toll that must take on people is immense.

If they are still operating, I'd like to get down and support them.

Thanks!
"I have a bunch of junk that is not any better than yours." - MoGas - ExPo member #226.

Offline listo

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2011, 07:18:35 PM »
I'm pretty sure they are Matto, I've seen a few articles of them rebuilding again. Bloody hope so, that would be one of two of my favorite holiday spots
Listo

Offline Matto

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2011, 07:23:02 PM »
I'm pretty sure they are Matto, I've seen a few articles of them rebuilding again. Bloody hope so, that would be one of two of my favorite holiday spots
Listo
Excellent. Good on them then. With a rap like that, I think we'll need to check it out in the near future then.

Hey - quick general question on pet-friendly parks - are everyone's dogs well behaved? What if you're *ahem* the one with the bad dogs? Are only good dogs allowed? ;D I'd love to take ours with us some day, but they're a little too friendly and inquisitive - any person needs to be asked for a pat, and any possum/cat/shadow needs to be investigated and, if found troublesome, barked at.

Thanks!

Offline listo

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2011, 07:39:02 PM »
When we were there, we had a 6mth old Great Dane pup... Not the best idea. Our first night there, we went to IGA for half an hour. Sandy called near the end and said we need to get back as she was going mental. We couldn't leave her for 5 mins without her barking up a storm so we ended up putting her in a kennel for the week... That was our first and last experience with taking a dog to a park with us
Listo

Offline griz066

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2011, 06:19:50 AM »
Here is BIG4's response to my question re dogs, 8)

BIG4 has decided to allow BIG4 Holiday Parks the option to accept dogs from 1 July 2011. While some BIG4 Holiday Parks will decide to welcome dogs in their park, not all BIG4 Parks will accept dogs. Parks that choose to accept dogs are required to go through a qualification process to ensure dog-specific infrastructure is in place to meet BIG4’s high quality standards. We pride ourselves on the high standards, great facilities and friendly and welcoming environment of BIG4 Holiday Parks and have quality control measures in place to ensure these standards are met – and that will not change. Detailed information will be available on BIG4.com.au in late June. :cheers: :cheers:
Yesterday's Gone, Tomorrow Hasn't Happened, Live For Today.
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=12950.msg192834#msg192834