Author Topic: Deals at Shows - what can I get??  (Read 5730 times)

Offline Xoe01

• Tent User
Deals at Shows - what can I get??
« on: May 09, 2011, 05:17:19 PM »
Hi,

New to this great site & looking to purchase our CT soon, maybe at the Brisbane June show.

Was wondering what kind of 'extras' they throw in at the show, we have a few that were keen on, so could be swayed by what's thrown in the deal. The dealers have indicated that they will be doing show deals, so just after a bit of heads up as to what these goodies may be??

Looking for a CT around the $15K mark BTW, keen on Camel, Lifestyle, Jimboomba (who are not there...but will still be offering specials), maybe Trackabout too ..... or Customline.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!!!

:cheers:
Xoe  :cheers:
Holden Colorado 7 2016 & Camel Bushman Plus 2010.. soon to be Jayco StarCraft

Offline davo69 and the Nurse

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • '07 Trackabout 4x4 Deluxe Tourer
Re: Deals at Shows - what can I get??
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 05:31:29 PM »
You'll probably find most businesses won't tell you what the specials are until the show starts... and you will find maybe 80% will continue or honour the show special for a week or 2, allowing people time to make an informed choice.

I guess one of the tips I can offer you, is seriously look at the extras that are being given away. If you are being offered fridges, upgrades on structural components (axles, springs etc), or if they seem to be giving away the "whole farm".... it should make you consider why they are giving away so much... a high quality trailer with the same quality canvas tent should really sell itself...

Take a list with you too, of what you need and what you would like in a trailer, as this will help you focus and it will help the dealers out with creating something that you really want, rather than being stuck with "gimmick" type items that pose little or no value to you.

the Nurse
get DIRTY

Offline JCOJ

• 2019 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 07:03:15 PM »
Firstly welcome to the forum.

I'd be getting prices now prior to the show, then that will give you a direct comparison to the show price specials to see how much more you are actually getting.

Also - awesome advice above from the Nurse.  A list of what you need and want from a camper trailer will stop you from upgrading to things you don't need.

Offline cancan

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • "So long and thanks for all the fish"
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 07:08:47 PM »
Don't quote me but I think trackabout won't be at the Brisbane show but they are offering show specials...cant remember where I read that.
Jeep Grand Cherokee - Modcon Ecomate Traveller

Offline cootha

• Tent User
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 07:23:14 PM »
Don't quote me but I think trackabout won't be at the Brisbane show but they are offering show specials...cant remember where I read that.

that's true, they won't be at the show, the man himself told me last week.  it's on their website too.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 07:30:16 PM by cootha »

Offline Pauly

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Whats This?
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 08:54:21 PM »
Dont know if you have seen this one, cheap and JT gives it a warranty :cup:

http://myswag.org/forum/index.php?topic=12791.0

Cheers Pauly

New ride 2005 Landcruiser Sahara, Mickey T,s, dual batts Arb Sahara Bar, HID lights :)

Self made camper

Offline morgue

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 08:58:06 PM »
Last year at the RNA Caravan show...these were the deals I was given , eventhough I was just kicking tyres/drooling and slobering all over the Campertrailer sites...I was a mess, if only I had not maxed out my credit card!

Jayco...  the Jayco Eagle with offroad pack( with wheels to suit tow vehicle)..thrown in for free..free rego...12 months insurance incl...drive away $29,000 or weekly payments of $120.00, very tempting if I was going around Oz with a young family. ( sell when I get back..payback lease and pocket the difference)

Only catch...the deal was on the campers that were on the floor...but it was still tempting.

Kimberly Kampers...Nah..(they are too much in demand)..just a bag filled with goodies...stubby holder and such.

Adventurer Camper Trailers...Base model Daintree, with Led lighting upgrade and kitchen similar on the Pilbara for extra $250 on to of Daintree price...

I tried Tvan...waste of time...there very popular and they are getting there price for the trailer.

Pioneer  Campers...base model...upgrade suspension to independent and gul wing duel sided box on the tow bar ...extra $ 1000.oo on base model (Prospector) price.

These were some of the deals that I can remember, the Adventurer Camper and Pioneer  trailer deals had me hot under the colar...bloody maxed out credit card!

Anyway..don't be afraid to ask for a deal and do your homework on the campers you want and the model that interests you and the options that come with the trailer...then start negotiating.
 Its like dealing with Car Salesman...The make of Trailers that are popular...little head room for haggling, but those trailers that are end of model cycle ie 2010, base model run out etc or are struggling to meet market sales...then you have some real room to do a deal that is favourable to you.

Then..be prepared to walk away from the deal, if it does'nt meet your goals, ther are others in the market place.

Just on a personal note...
Some of the hard floor camper manufacturers maybe feeling the pinch this year...its a very crowded market segment at the moment with heaps of manufacturers asking telephone numbers for their products.
I've noticed that the advertising of several manufacturers has been more prominent this year...just an observation?
Complete Campsite has 2 new hardfloor models just released...they are zeroing in on the market share against KK, AORC, Aussie Swag, Pioneer etc
So this year, there may be some wriggling room...you never know.

Good luck

Offline gruesome

• Don't follow me I'm LOST
  • Tent User
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 09:07:43 PM »
Welcome to the forum mate, when we bought our Complete Campsite it was at the Lismore camping show, was well worth the effort as we saved heaps off the normal price, main thing is to know what you want and stick to your budget as its easy to get carried away and you can get a really good deal, otherwise I can lend you the misses, she's real savage when it comes down to dealing,
Cheers Andy
2001 Prado OME coils and springs, bfg 265/75/16, UHF, Warn 9000lb winch
dual batteries, snorkel, draw  system, TJM bar, hella lights
Complete Campsite trailer

Offline rotor138

• Tent User
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 09:56:08 PM »

I'd be getting prices now prior to the show, then that will give you a direct comparison to the show price specials to see how much more you are actually getting.

This is excellent advice as a lot of places actually put there price up at shows like this to pay for their floorspace.

Offline craigtempo

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • welcome to the party that never ends
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 10:09:54 PM »
One thing i would add is that a few of the ct exhibitors will sell the display camper at the show at a reduced price . so they don't have to tow the ct back to the yard . and u can pick up the ct after the show.

another  thing to consider is that there are so many models out there ,if u haven't used a ct as yet .. hire one ... have a good look at it ... think about what u like and dislike about that particular ct then take that information with u to help decide on what features u want with your ct.i went to last years camping show at rosehill in Sydney with the intention to order a ct .well i ended up going 4 times and just couldn't make up my mind on which one to get .the one i was going to order was so far removed from what we had in mind and it was more than we budgeted for . it was well built , but big and heavy . my wife didn't like it . ???
on the way out of the show we walked past the customline ct,s and found one that ticked all of the boxes ...... so we ordered one .

must say ... very happy with it .

good luck and welcome to the site .

Craig
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 10:11:46 PM by craigtempo »

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 03:47:09 AM »
Yes DO your homework . I looked long & hard then ended up buying the tent top & having the trailer built for me to my specks . It came about that what I wanted in CTs would have been way out of the $ range I had to play with . As it has turned out have the CT I wanted at a much cheaper price . Beware the show specials as some are more special than you want to know . :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Xoe01

• Tent User
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 07:48:09 AM »
Thanks guys, some useful info there.

We have done quite a bit of research into the models we are keen on, and know the prices of them & the extras we want, so should be OK on that respect. Will also get show prices from the dealers NOT at the show, so we should have them all.

Have a VERY set budget, there's just no more in the pot. I'm also very good at knowing my limit & will walk away quite happily.

Keen on that trackabout reno listed here, but having 3 kids I think a 'basic' 9ft is too small, after an extended 10ft if the trailer is longer to accomodate a walkup staircase, or if a standard bed, I think we'll need a 12fter.

Also keeping a very close eye on a few 2nd hand ones too...
Xoe

Offline riderx

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 09:19:27 AM »
 I would be getting price now. I purchased mine from a Brisbane manufacturer this time last year and it was actually cheaper before the shown than during the show or after. Reason being that this was their quiet time of year as sale increased dramatically after the show and also becauseas the weather improved and people were wanting to purchase.

Shop around and you might save yourself a few bucks .I know I did

Offline earle

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2011, 09:22:48 AM »
At the Brissie pre-xmas show last year the show specials saved you around $1000 on a $12-15K camper. I think lifestyle offered free electrics but would not hold there show specials over, Jimboomba offered a discount once they did you up a quote which they would hold over and customline had a show special that included annex etc etc etc for around $11K which they would also hold over. We went with the customline but added a few more extras like brakes.

Offline spargo

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • "Love that car.."
    • Twitter
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2011, 09:47:13 AM »
In some of my original posts on this site, I told the story of browsing at the mid-year Brisbane C'Van/camping show, but wanting to buy post-show so that we'd be able to take delivery just before xmas when we needed it.

We cruised the whole show, and the Lifestyle Extenda CT's blew us away for their bang-for-buck and because of the wide walkway and 10ft tent. We had one child at that time, and plans for another one which is now in the oven & due in Sept, so we knew we'd be camping with 2 kids under 3 soon enough. The 10ft tent is perfect for us, and with a full annex and walls I reckon it'd easily do 3 or 4 kids. I opened and closed a 12 footer once, and that was once enough. I found I couldn't do it myself which is no good for when it's just me and the little one camping (she's under 2, so not much help beyond laying out and collecting the pegs!), and we felt that the dimensions of the extenda 10 footers was more suitable than a narrow/long 12ft tent.

As I recall the Trackabout extended model at the time had a narrower walkway, so Lifestyle was our preferred pick because of this. I certain Trackabout now offer the same width walkway so it'd be a much harder decision if we were doing the same this year..

We approached the Lifestyle guys at the show and told them that we didn't need to put money down and order until a few months after the show, giving them 4 months for delivery. But last year this didn't matter as they were going to offer the show package continuing on into the year. As I recall, the show package included upgrades on the standard features to include gas struts on the bows, upgrades to LED tail lights, new 16" Mud Terrains all round, kitchen sink pump & tap, and other stuff I can't recall - I think it was the case that these features were to become standard down the track, so it was a bit of a test on the market as to who wanted what features at each price point and on what models.

It was a 'special' as such when you compared the deal we got with other standard offers, but for us they were items we wanted anyway so it was really just an easy way to get the package we wanted with limited haggle.. I remember too that the base price on our model went up by $400-ish later in the year and after we ordered, but that was probably just their annual review of costs and increases etc.

Could we have driven a harder bargain waiving some cash around at the show? Maybe.. but we didn't have the cash, and didn't need the trailer yet, so it wasn't in our buying scenario.

My show tips:

- Check if the deal is really a deal. Get quotes pre-show as it makes sense that the market would be quieter post-xmas and coming into winter so might be able to move on $$$ and inclusions.. I think you've set yourself up to do this already which is good. We were probably a little under-prepared in knowing prices.
- Be wary of drive-away deals. We saw and were offered one that was very suspect, as it was the tent they had the public traipsing through, and it wasn't registered in Qld, so it was actually illegal to do so. I think we all know which Sydney-based dealer this might have been.. .. . ..  ...
- Is the deal going to be available post-show? Ours was, but most we saw were hard and fast not available after Sunday afternoon. I'm not a fan of these pressure deals when laying down $10-15K++.
- Know your products, and features. We found even with leaf spring suspension the range and standard of products under the trailers varied massively once you looked closer!!!
- Try and do a lap of the tents in the middle of the day - with many of them outside on display in Brisbane compared to inside at their respective home showrooms/factories, it was an opportune time to stand in them, in the sun, and see how hot they all really are or will be when out camping. This is where the Tropical roof won out for us on the Lifestyle and others that had them fitted/standard.

Good luck, it's a jungle out there!!!

Offline cancan

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • "So long and thanks for all the fish"
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2011, 11:09:15 AM »
My show tips:

-- Try and do a lap of the tents in the middle of the day - with many of them outside on display in Brisbane compared to inside at their respective home showrooms/factories, it was an opportune time to stand in them, in the sun, and see how hot they all really are or will be when out camping. This is where the Tropical roof won out for us on the Lifestyle and others that had them fitted/standard.

Now thats a good tip...hadn't thought of that, more so if you have young kids (wife) who still like there midday sleeps
Jeep Grand Cherokee - Modcon Ecomate Traveller

Offline spargo

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • "Love that car.."
    • Twitter
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2011, 11:25:53 AM »
Now thats a good tip...hadn't thought of that, more so if you have young kids (wife) who still like there midday sleeps

I'm hearing ya!! Mum-to-be and Miss nearly-two definitely need their late morning sleep.

Over last summer (when the sun actually came out), we found that our inside tent was far cooler than the annex area, because of the tropical fly roof (both are the same huge height, so a fair comparison). Well worth the extra coin, or worth going with if its a deciding or differentiating factor between models..

Also re-read the excellent earlier comments by 'The Nurse' regarding gimmicky extras. There certainly was some absolute Shite being 'thrown in' last year (e.g. an offer of a small cheap imported 12v fridge, when the trailer didn't actually come with a 12v system or solar). Also, if a trailer is being offered with things like a higher rating leaf spring or dodgy independant suspension, longer drawbars, 'powdercoating', bigger wheels/tyres, then I think you really need to be asking whether or not it should have these on it from the start at that price point..

Offline cootha

• Tent User
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2011, 04:06:59 PM »
Does anyone else just go in there and end up walking around in a daze, drooling, zombie like, not remembering what it was you came to look at, hardly able to remember your name even. 

And end up walking out with an empty wallet a bunch of stuff you didn't know you needed a few hours earlier. 

Then you get home and realise you didn't even see the things you wanted to see, and you can't remember why... 

Well that's how it usually is for me anyway.  ???

Offline Matto

• Don't Follow Me - I Won't Make It
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2011, 05:22:00 PM »
Keen on that trackabout reno listed here, but having 3 kids I think a 'basic' 9ft is too small, after an extended 10ft if the trailer is longer to accomodate a walkup staircase, or if a standard bed, I think we'll need a 12fter.
Hi Xoe,

I'm in two minds about this one. Like Spargo, we have an extenda trailer (Trackabout, in our case, with the bigger walkway), with the 10ft tent. There's HEAPS of room in this setup, and you'd fit a metric bucket-load of kids in no problems. I like my space  ;D. So there's no denying that the extended trailer with the 10ft tent are great for families.

BUT, depending on how old your kids are, you might find a standard trailer with the 9ft tent would be adequate for your needs. My brother has an OzTrail Camper9 tent top, and it fits their 3 young kids (7, 5 and 2) in no worries. The older boy sleeps in the bottom bunk with the middle on top (keep the weight down low!), and the youngest on a little mattress beside. They  don't have a huge amount of extra room in there, but neither is it really cramped. They have walls for the annex which they use if they're staying for a while, and treat the annex area as the living room. It ends up being a really comfortable setup, but retaining all the advantages of the smaller tent.

To pick on the Trackabout 9ft tent (because that's what I'm familiar with), the side walls are much more vertical than the OzTrail tops, and a lot of other tent tops. This effectively gives you a heap more internal volume, because you can pack stuff right up to the walls, instead of needing to have bunk beds and such further inside the tent to cater for the sloping walls.

Again, not trying to talk you out of an extenda trailer (they're excellent!!!), and not trying to talk you out of the bigger tent (it's wonderfully spacious!), but it might be worth having a look in some of the 9ft tents when you're at the show, just to see how you would go. They might not fit at all, but, you never know! If you really do like that resurrected Trackabout, have a chat to JT - he might be able to drop a 10ft tent onto it for you - one of the advantages of a shop that not only makes the trailers, but does all their own canvas work as well. I've no idea if it's possible, but one thing I learned from buying our camper was to call JT up with a list of ideas, and see which ones would fly. From what I know of the guy, he's usually more than happy to accommodate people's specific needs.

Good luck - it's an exciting and stress-filled time!
Matto :)
"I have a bunch of junk that is not any better than yours." - MoGas - ExPo member #226.

Offline DAZnBEC

• THE MIGHTY MODCON!
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2011, 05:31:29 PM »
When we ordered our Modcon, the trailers were all the same price but they through in a water tank, 4 burner stove and two annex walls. So I would call that an alright saving.

Most manufactures will be doing show specials, so it definately the time to order!

Offline morgue

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2011, 05:46:39 PM »
Does anyone else just go in there and end up walking around in a daze, drooling, zombie like, not remembering what it was you came to look at, hardly able to remember your name even. 

And end up walking out with an empty wallet a bunch of stuff you didn't know you needed a few hours earlier. 

Then you get home and realise you didn't even see the things you wanted to see, and you can't remember why... 

Well that's how it usually is for me anyway.  ???

Yep, I did for the first time I went...but I got smarter,the next time I went to the Brisbane show, I went in to look for what I want, haggle, buy it, then take back to the car...after which, I am then free to head back into the show and drool to my hearts content.

Offline Xoe01

• Tent User
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2011, 11:14:43 AM »
Just had a nice look at the Trackabout, and had a look at the flood reno. 9ft just not big enough, otherwise I'd put in a good offer for that, as it's a virtually new trailer at a bargain price.

The new Trackabout Deluxe Tourer looks fab, it's going to be a tough choice who we go for!!!

Offline Matto

• Don't Follow Me - I Won't Make It
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2011, 11:28:36 AM »
You can't go wrong with a Deluxe Tourer! Especially with the new bling Stainless trim! If 9ft is too small for you then the 10ft tent does give a lot more room.

Did JT have an Extenda there for you to look at? With the 10" tent out the side, they've got an extra 2" of length in the tent due to the walkway. It's huge in there!

Good luck with your decision - there's certainly a lot of options out there.

Thanks!
Matto :)
"I have a bunch of junk that is not any better than yours." - MoGas - ExPo member #226.