Author Topic: 2005 Pioneer Argyle issues?  (Read 5767 times)

Offline hammers71

• Learning the Ropes
2005 Pioneer Argyle issues?
« on: February 03, 2012, 07:31:01 PM »
Hello all, been on this site for a while looking to buy a ct, finally had a great stroke of luck and got a ct way beyond what I thought I could get. I was originally looking for Built Tough, Camel or Tambo as I wanted a soft floor having a young family, but the Pioneer got offered from nowhere and now i have to change my thinking (soft to hard floor) . Has anyone had any issues I should keep an eye out with these ct's ( i know about the water tanks-this one only has a 60 litre). I have spoken to Chris at Glenrest campers here in SA who has been really good in finding me extra canvas, but before I go out into the great beyond I wanna be armed- what pitfalls are there people? What should I fix up?

Cheers

Offline Wandering Tassie

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: 2005 Pioneer Argyle issues?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 06:29:32 AM »
Hi hammers71 and welcome to My Swag. Can't help with info on the Pioneer, maybe just take it away for a weekend close to home, you will soon find any issues that need fixing.

Trevor

Offline Heiny

• "All who wander are not lost"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 09:16:13 AM »
Hi hammers71 and welcome to My Swag, good luck with the Pioneer

:cheers: bubba
NM Pajero GLS 3.2 DiD manual
2008 Jayco Flamingo Outback

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 09:20:15 AM »
Pioneer have a generally good reputation, though there have been a number of issues raised on here. One member had a stub axle come off on a relatively new camper, and the response from Pioneer was less than satisfactory.

The camper you're looking at should be fine, if anything was going to go wrong it would have done so already.
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline Cozzie

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Jets
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 10:35:26 AM »
Pioneer have been taken over by a Victorian company which could be a good thing as the previous owner started taking money saving short cuts on the later models, As BigJules said "if anything was going to go wrong it would have done so already" also on the earlier models they were not using cheap Chinese suspension.

welcome to Myswag :cheers:

Cozzie
2008 Holden Colorado - 2012 19.61-2 OB Jayco Starcraft

Offline Barrabart

• "Queenslander forever, forever Queenslander"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 02:31:04 PM »
Pioneer have a generally good reputation, though there have been a number of issues raised on here. One member had a stub axle come off on a relatively new camper, and the response from Pioneer was less than satisfactory.

The camper you're looking at should be fine, if anything was going to go wrong it would have done so already.

G'day mate,

Below is the thread Big Jules is referring to...........

http://myswag.org/forum/index.php?topic=15904.0

Trackabout Safari towed by an old HJ75 Cruiser Tray Back.. Lovin'it!!!

Offline Jaysea

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • To go where I have never been
    • My 4WD Site
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 05:40:45 PM »
G'day hammer. When we were trying to decide on a camper we hired a few before buying.

One of these was the pioneer onyx.  These are my thoughts but please note each person has different needs.

1. The company we hired it from have used these for several years as they said for a hard floor camper they were the most robust for their price range.  They did spend some time trying to source another one due to the transport cost from manufacturer to Sydney but in the end the ysaid that they could not find anything better.

2. We hired t for 2 weeks and took it out western nsw.  In general it went well but we did have some small issues with a dodgy water tap, a bent pole, and a water pump that sometimes would not stop.  Nothing significant and again it is not a high end soft floor such as a KK so I think you have to manage your expectations.

3. The basic set up worked really well.  Good space under the bed. Functional kitchen. We had several days of torrential rain and gale force winds and we had no leaks.

4.  While we liked the hard floor and it was quick to set up for us it showed that a soft floor was the only way to go due to the size of our family (2+3).  We travelled with a family of 2+2 and they were also very tight for space.  While these are great for couples if you have or plan more than 1 munchkin then be prepared for limited space. You mentioned extra canvas. But remember more rooms means more hassle setting up.

As you can see we thought it was a good camper for its price but not suited to our family.  I am sure what ever decision you make you will enjoy your New toy good luck :cheers:

Ps: FYI this is what we ended up with http://myswag.org/forum/index.php?topic=17776.0
Jaysea

2012 Prado GXL + Adventure Camper

My build: http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=17776.0
My photos & travels: www.lensontheroad.com
My facebook: http://tinyurl.com/k2haolg

Offline hammers71

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 06:16:21 PM »
Thanks guys, story about the couple going thru Coen is one to keep in mind. The camper I have just bought has sat around for 5 years , all in good nick but definitely needs to be checked over, pick it up from the canvas shop in 2 weeks as I am having more put on to accomodate the kids, apparently you can't keep them on the back of the ute in lock ups any more, so pc nowadays.

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 09:26:39 AM »
apparently you can't keep them on the back of the ute in lock ups any more, so pc nowadays.

;D
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline Barrabart

• "Queenslander forever, forever Queenslander"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 12:48:57 PM »
;D

I think you can, as long as you provide shade and a bucket of water............ ;D
Trackabout Safari towed by an old HJ75 Cruiser Tray Back.. Lovin'it!!!

Offline Jillsy

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2012, 08:26:10 PM »
G'Day and welcome to Myswag,

I haven't had experience with Pioneer but the beauty of any CT is that you can MODIFY it to what you want.

As others have suggested, take a few short trips before anything major just to iron out any issues it may have and then you will be able to set out on a big adventure with confidence.