Author Topic: Feedback from DOT owners please! (Drifta Offroad Tourer)  (Read 31478 times)

Offline lilstookie

• Traveling Lab Rats
  • Soft Floor Camper User
    • http://facebook.com/thewanderingjocks
Feedback from DOT owners please! (Drifta Offroad Tourer)
« on: January 02, 2015, 10:16:29 PM »
We're interested in feedback on the DOTs from owners. How are they holding up? Is there anything that irks you about them? We didn't even know about these until we visited the factory earlier in the week and Luke showed us a couple. OMG we LOVE them, just not too sure how it would work for us with three young kids (4, 3 and 1) and living on the road. We don't need heaps of sleeping space and they have a good amount of storage, they're light, compact and a well thought out no fuss unit IOHO. We have a soft floor atm and totally over the crappy tent we have (we will NEVER EVER EVER own another Austrack item ). We only use the bedroom for sleeping and even then there's really way more space than we need. We're also looking at forward folds and have stuck rear folds in the mix too, but this is at the top of the list atm. Everything has its pros and cons (too many cons for a caravan though many are saying that's what we SHOULD be looking for), we just need to make sure we've considered as many things as possible.

Lil ?

Sent from my fingertips using my brain
If the spelling and grammar are good, it's a post from Lil. If not, the mad Scot is on the keyboard ;)

Add us on facebook and keep up to date with our big lap .
www.facebook.com/TheWanderingJocks or follow our blog

KingBilly

Re: Feedback from DOT owners please! (Drifta Offroad Tourer)
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 07:43:40 AM »
I haven't seen one in the metal but I do know that anything Luke does is a first rate, quality product with exceptional after sales service.  I guess the biggest question is will the sleeping area be too high for kids?  Good luck with your decisions.

KB

Offline Barry G

• Hard Top Camper User
  • For my 'Pop' l.Cpl Tom Powell, A Comp.21Batt.6Brig
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 11:29:41 AM »
Lil, from what I have read the Hannibal RTT that Luke uses is the best on the market.

If you ye ally only need the tent for sleeping why not get Luke's trailer and awning without the RTT and an Oz tent, and pitch it with the awning of the tent joining to the trailer a wing?

Probably quicker to erect than the RTT.  Fold the tent down with the MATRESS inside and carry it on the trailer lid. Other stuff could be carried on the top deck, in place of the RTT.
2000 Jackaroo Monterey 2002 Jackaroo 'Equipe' & Heaslip soft floor rear fold camper.
05 Subaru Outback Weekender GOGO Camper
 i hope for a better world for my kids, and yours, not just a bigger slice of the current one!

Offline Kangaron

• "Don't make excuses, Make it Happen."
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 12:17:11 PM »
Just watched the set up vid on the drifta site.
Looks like a nice unit but also looks a PITA to set up.
Gotta agree an oztent next to it would be easier [ and no ladder]

Offline lilstookie

• Traveling Lab Rats
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 04:13:01 PM »
We're thinking we may possibly need a quick setup tent anyway. The biggest thing is being able to sleep the kids off the ground. We've had a RTT in the past with number one child and really liked it apart from being stuck in one place as it was on the car and didn't find the setup particularly onerous. Only sold it when pregnant with number two. Not sure that a quick setup tent would be that much quicker than the RTT either, but was after a little firsthand experience to help with the decision making. The kids are also dealing with a ladder half the size easily and that ladder can be kept short during the day so no sneaky climbing

Lil ?

If the spelling and grammar are good, it's a post from Lil. If not, the mad Scot is on the keyboard ;)

Offline Crimso

• Tent User
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 07:30:26 PM »
I don't have one but its a great setup. Contemplating taking the big tent off our camper and after a couple of mods ending up with a very similar setup.
Patriot do a similar thing without the actuators,& if you look closely at the Patriot it's easy to see the problems that they don't point out, such as height under the awning  & window clearance for the RTT. Much prefer the Drifter setup.
The reason we're looking at changing is the ease of setup & pack up. I'm now in my 60's and am finding it hard to handle a big annex & tent pack up, especially when doing a few over nighters in a row! We've already bought an Ostrich Wing awning & a RTT which both fit on a frame on the back of my truck over the ladder racks, works a treat too. The ability of setting up camp with the drifter style unit is very appealing.
If we didn't already have a top class trailer (Lifestyle) I'd think about selling it to get the Drifter.
In a nutshell, I'd say go for it!
http://www.myswag.org/gallery/d/19406-2/Burrum+Camp.jpg

Offline lilstookie

• Traveling Lab Rats
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2015, 09:56:53 PM »
We don't need a lot of space, setting up off the ground is great, due to travelling a lot of the year we can't pull over in a truck style stop and open the door to a caravan and setting up a softfloor on a gravel siding is just not going to happen. Pulling open just the tent to sleep all of us sounds great and when pulled up at a more permanent spot then he kids can sleep in the enclosed area underneath on their bunks. Everything these days caters for an elaborate setup that's detrimental to overnight stops we find. This little unit is lighter, more compact, rugged and way more storage than anything we have seen in the range. It's also ALL aussie built, and after the service we have already had from Luke we would not even question what warranty it comes with.....we know we would be looked after if any problem arose.

The following users thanked this post: Bobsan

Offline mtb

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 07:46:09 AM »
I'm looking at both the DOT and patriot campers. I was keen to buy the patriot but was directed to the DOT, they look really well made. Looking forward to your choice.

Mtb

Offline StrvnMrvn

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • I get payed to go camping!!
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2015, 08:48:49 AM »
I was looking at the DOT after I got rid of my CT. I discussed with Luke some of the following:

1. The gap between the kitchen awning and the RTT. He was looking at putting in some form of gutter in there from one side to the other, I'm pretty sure he has but just check.
2. Adding an oztent RV5 for extra space. Luke said that they can make up attachments like the one on the rhino rack awning so that you can attach or zip that sort of tent on for an extra room.
3. For larger family's. Adding another awning on the other side of the trailer with the room attachments. I have three lil Strvys and whenever I go camping, other family members find out somehow and rock up for a few nights. That area could also be used for a storage area or shower change area when on longer trips.

There were other things that we discussed, but they were more like lighting and battery's.

Hope you work out what you want!! And when you do, ENJOY IT!!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 08:52:05 AM by StrvnMrvn »
Cheers

Strvy

Offline lilstookie

• Traveling Lab Rats
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2015, 09:17:22 AM »

I was looking at the DOT after I got rid of my CT. I discussed with Luke some of the following:

1. The gap between the kitchen awning and the RTT. He was looking at putting in some form of gutter in there from one side to the other, I'm pretty sure he has but just check.
2. Adding an oztent RV5 for extra space. Luke said that they can make up attachments like the one on the rhino rack awning so that you can attach or zip that sort of tent on for an extra room.
3. For larger family's. Adding another awning on the other side of the trailer with the room attachments. I have three lil Strvys and whenever I go camping, other family members find out somehow and rock up for a few nights. That area could also be used for a storage area or shower change area when on longer trips.

There were other things that we discussed, but they were more like lighting and battery's.

Hope you work out what you want!! And when you do, ENJOY IT!!

Looks like you asked the same questions we have asked in an email

We're looking at the Ecomate rear and forward folds tomorrow and I think we'll be making our decision shortly after that. Just hope it stops pursing down here in Cairns so we can give them a good going over!

Just as an aside, I'm amazed how many companies expect you to be happy handing over thousands of dollars without being able to have a go at setting up and packing up. You can't see how much space you actually have and how easy/hard things are to do. Drifta and Ecomate are quite happy for us to have a go before purchase. All the others (in the ~$25,000 and under...not a small amount of cash IMO) told us to watch the videos online even knowing we would be living in it and need to be comfortable and confident more so than occasional users.

Lil ?

Offline midgenflatter

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2015, 09:58:46 AM »
I have had a DOT camper for a couple of months now but have only used it twice. From my limited experience with it I can provide the following. It is a very strong and functional trailer. If you do wish to stay in one place for any length of time, it is a bit of an effort to put all the awnings and walls up and pack up, as is any trailer camper really. If you want a quick overnighter, without the walls etc, it is ideal, as you can have the rooftop tent and the pullout kitchen ready to go in 10 minutes easy. The rooftop tent is quite large. Mine would sleep 4 quite comfy and erected by itself is still bug proof. The foxwing type awning over the kitchen, if required, would take another 5 - 10 minutes to place. The primus stove provided is very good and the water tank - 80l I recall is adequate for a small family. The kitchen is lightweight but very functional and works great. The unit tows beautifully behind my BT 50 but I have had an issue with my ute's freestyle tray and the stone guard on the trailer. It has hit the corners of the trays when cornering and damaged the stone guard fabric slightly. I have discussed the problem with Luke and he has offered to fix it. Most towbar setups wouldn't have any problems but if you have a long cab chassis tray overhanging your tow hitch, it pays to purchase an extra long tow tongue. Christmas holidays are not my favourite part of the year but when the silly season has finally dissipated, my wife and I hope to get out and about to make use of our DOT. Hope this helps!

Offline lilstookie

• Traveling Lab Rats
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2015, 11:42:08 PM »
Thanks midgenflatter

Offline McTavish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2015, 06:05:46 PM »
Show us a photo when you take delivery!!!!   
Vacation Camper & McTavish surfboard - what more does a guy need??

Offline DOT38

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2015, 09:49:30 PM »
Hi Guys

I just spent 3 weeks living out of mine through the Kimberleys. All in all and excellent trailer. Well built, solid as a rock and never missed a beat. The dust seals held up really well after 800 odd kms of dust and dirt road including the tent bag on top.We got the kitchen with the evakool fridge, an extra battery and the Redarc BMS1230 installed.

Setting the trailer up is easy enough. Like anything it gets quicker and easier the more you use it. Once you work out a routine and an order of how things need to be done it can be set up pretty quick.

The ability to lift the tent up high is excellent and you can walk under everything without risk of banging your head on it. The walls being separate is great as when we were in certain places we put certain walls up to keep the sun away. It means you don't have to put up a full tent annexe just to shade 1 part of the trailer. I have asked for them to make me 2 bags to store the walls in which they are doing now. If anyone goes to buy one I'd recommend asking for this.

The lighting around the bottom and inside the tent at night is excellent. The only place it is a bit dull is around the stove area. I found myself cooking with a head torch most nights. 2 options there are to run the tent pole and wand set up they sell or the modified LED strip lighting. I think I'll go the strip lighting route and rivet some sail track into the inside of the awning beam.

If anyone is looking at buying one I can't recommend them enough. From the build quality the team puts out to the after sale support is unreal. It's a well thought out trailer. Normally with stuff like this I will have a list of things I want to change or add but with this there wasn't anything bar the LED lighting over the stove.

Offline jayjay

• Tent User
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2015, 02:24:42 AM »
Just one question though: how do you go about negotiating that ladder during the night-time toilet trips, when you are half asleep??
Mitsubishi Challenger
Rearfold Safari Trackabout

Offline DOT38

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2015, 11:05:51 AM »
I don't have that issue, I have a decent bladder haha. My wife on the other hand didn't seem to have any problems.

Offline Aido

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2015, 10:07:13 PM »
Hi all,
         Had our DOT since November last year, done a few trips now and it hasn't disappointed one bit. If you are after a very practical no fuss, quick set up and pack up touring type CT then the DOT is worth considering, might be bias, but i would highly recommend it! I can set it up and pack up my self, love the flexibility of how much you set up or don't, from just folding the RTT out or putting all the walls and awning out/up. The kitchen is so simple to set up, but very versatile. I agree with DOT38's observation about the lighting over the stove, but i've overcome this with a tent pole and a KORR LED strip. We don't find the ladder an issue, you just need to set it on the right angle, which is easy when you can just adjust the height of the tent and or ladder. I got the team at Drifta to extend the draw bar to allow my rear door to open fully, something worth considering if you have that type of set up.

Offline topcat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2015, 11:28:35 PM »
Hi all,
         Had our DOT since November last year, done a few trips now .......

C'mon Aido - you know the score  :worthles:

..... same goes for you DOT38

TC  ;D
Prado 150 GXL 6M + 2016 TVAN Murranji

2008 Trackabout 4x4 Deluxe Tourer - Sold (first love xox)

"If all ya got's a hammer, every problem is a nail"

Offline Aido

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2015, 04:43:42 PM »
Sorry topcat, newbie to this. Attached are a few photo's of different setups over the last 8 months, surprising that i didn't have a few more without one of our mugs in it that was willing to share with WWW. Anyhow hope these few will do in the mean time.

cheers

Offline topcat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2015, 09:15:05 PM »
Thanks Aido - looks like a great unit. Thanks for sharing.  :cheers:
Tony
Prado 150 GXL 6M + 2016 TVAN Murranji

2008 Trackabout 4x4 Deluxe Tourer - Sold (first love xox)

"If all ya got's a hammer, every problem is a nail"

Offline trngia

• Tent User
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2015, 10:54:32 PM »
Just ordered a new DOT 6 last week. Can't wait.  :-).  Sounds like great feedback so far. 

Offline Ajhadley35

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2015, 11:31:53 AM »
Really interesting the read peoples feedback as there isn't too much out there from owners. I'm interested in buying a dot and really like the idea of them. I've seen a few at a show and also the first dot equip. I was originally interested in the patriot but cost and lack of customising puts me off.

I'd like to know from owners that have had theirs for a while how they are holding up, have they been reliable and solid? How have they gone off road, corrugations etc? Anything you'd change about the camper?

Thank you in advance for any replies.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Offline The punter

• "avoiding grey nomads since 2011"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2015, 12:52:31 PM »
A mate has one and he's camped with us.

I watched him set it up and it's quick. Very well made and has some handy ideas on it. Even the foxwing doesn't take long to set up.

While there are great pros about being off the ground, the ladder might become annoying, also not a lot of privacy for getting changed. They would suit many, and it would last for a long time, you just have to be ok with the ladder idea.
13 FJ Cruiser
15 Lifestyle Reconn
1980 HJ45

Offline trngia

• Tent User
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2015, 12:59:28 PM »
My considerations were between a patriot, predator and the Dot.  That was the design I was looking for with a rooftop tent.  However after lots of research I kept going back to the DOT as have seen nothing like it in terms of features.  Cheaper than the Patriot but in my view better.  The real difference is having the actuators to raise the height of the roof top tent and creating real usable space that joins with the awning all the way around from tent to kitchen.  No bending down trying to get into drawers etc.  yes the DOT also has some other features which you won't see anywhere else such as the DRIFTA kitchen and little touches like the boot table on the tent and gutters for the awning, all custom made. 

I have ordered mine now and they are incredibly easy to deal with and all my modifications were not a problem even one that needs to be customer made. 

Of course I can't say what it's really like yet until I do a full review on our first trip however I couldn't find anything that could compare to the DOT. 

Offline The punter

• "avoiding grey nomads since 2011"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2015, 01:03:16 PM »
My considerations were between a patriot, predator and the Dot.  That was the design I was looking for with a rooftop tent.  However after lots of research I kept going back to the DOT as have seen nothing like it in terms of features.  Cheaper than the Patriot but in my view better.  The real difference is having the actuators to raise the height of the roof top tent and creating real usable space that joins with the awning all the way around from tent to kitchen.  No bending down trying to get into drawers etc.  yes the DOT also has some other features which you won't see anywhere else such as the DRIFTA kitchen and little touches like the boot table on the tent and gutters for the awning, all custom made. 

I have ordered mine now and they are incredibly easy to deal with and all my modifications were not a problem even one that needs to be customer made. 

Of course I can't say what it's really like yet until I do a full review on our first trip however I couldn't find anything that could compare to the DOT.

It's a quality rig, you won't be disappointed. He even throws in a spare actuator
13 FJ Cruiser
15 Lifestyle Reconn
1980 HJ45