Author Topic: Feedback from DOT owners please! (Drifta Offroad Tourer)  (Read 31438 times)

Offline Ajhadley35

• Learning the Ropes
Re: Feedback from DOT owners please! (Drifta Offroad Tourer)
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2015, 03:44:04 PM »
I'm sold on the concept of the roof top tent as I already have one that goes on and off my ranger. I'd like a trailer to permanently mount it, and have a setup that's as easy as hitching the trailer. The lack of internal space is no issue as I'm up in Darwin.

They are very function over form, which is fine I just don't want something that may feel like it was built in a shed, do people get this impression when using it? How do the kitchens hold up over time? Anyone found the leaf spring suspension to bounce around?

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Offline StrvnMrvn

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • I get payed to go camping!!
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2015, 07:03:45 PM »
I'm sold on the concept of the roof top tent as I already have one that goes on and off my ranger. I'd like a trailer to permanently mount it, and have a setup that's as easy as hitching the trailer. The lack of internal space is no issue as I'm up in Darwin.

They are very function over form, which is fine I just don't want something that may feel like it was built in a shed, do people get this impression when using it? How do the kitchens hold up over time? Anyone found the leaf spring suspension to bounce around?

Mate, Ive been through the build shed at Drifta and these trailers are built from the ground up! The guys put a lot of effort into the DOT.

Ask anyone here who has had or has a Drifta kitchen in their CT or tug and there will be little or no problems! If there is, I would be very surprised that Luke didn't take a vested interest in fixing the problem!
Cheers

Strvy

Offline Ajhadley35

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2015, 07:33:24 PM »
Mate, Ive been through the build shed at Drifta and these trailers are built from the ground up! The guys put a lot of effort into the DOT.

Ask anyone here who has had or has a Drifta kitchen in their CT or tug and there will be little or no problems! If there is, I would be very surprised that Luke didn't take a vested interest in fixing the problem!
Thank you for the reply. It's very comforting that no one has a bad thing to say. I'm just trying to be sure, as like I said before there aren't too many owners reviews out there and we don't get chance to see many up here. I do get the impression Luke is very passionate and keen to get things right, a rare thing these days.

Anymore owners impressions would be good?

Offline woolgoolgaoffroad

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Hardfloor
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2015, 08:06:32 PM »
My considerations were between a patriot, predator and the Dot.  That was the design I was looking for with a rooftop tent.  However after lots of research I kept going back to the DOT as have seen nothing like it in terms of features.  Cheaper than the Patriot but in my view better.  The real difference is having the actuators to raise the height of the roof top tent and creating real usable space that joins with the awning all the way around from tent to kitchen.  No bending down trying to get into drawers etc. 
[/quote

Thats the only prob i have with my viper- you have to bend down to get into several of the doors, and i honestly think putting up the wall kit on the RTT is useless to get changed etc- unless your 4 foot 10 !!!!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 09:37:14 PM by woolgoolgaoffroad »
Kev

http://woolgoolgaoffroad.blogspot.com.au
Landcruiser + Ultra Breakaway

Offline Kevlux

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2015, 09:30:51 AM »
Has anyone installed a hot water system in their DOT trailer?

Offline campingaroundoz

• Swag User
  • When smoking a fish, never inhale
    • Our big lap
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2015, 08:31:20 PM »
I was looking at the DOT after I got rid of my CT. I discussed with Luke some of the following:

1. The gap between the kitchen awning and the RTT. He was looking at putting in some form of gutter in there from one side to the other, I'm pretty sure he has but just check.
2. Adding an oztent RV5 for extra space. Luke said that they can make up attachments like the one on the rhino rack awning so that you can attach or zip that sort of tent on for an extra room.
3. For larger family's. Adding another awning on the other side of the trailer with the room attachments. I have three lil Strvys and whenever I go camping, other family members find out somehow and rock up for a few nights. That area could also be used for a storage area or shower change area when on longer trips.

There were other things that we discussed, but they were more like lighting and battery's.

Hope you work out what you want!! And when you do, ENJOY IT!!

Hi  StrvnMrvn, did you ever go with options 2 and 3 as quoted above, I would like to have another room option on the dot for the kids during the longer stays.

Thanks
Follow me camper pentacost
https://www.facebook.com/campingaroundoz

Offline trngia

• Tent User
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2015, 08:35:11 PM »

Has anyone installed a hot water system in their DOT trailer?

I have a Coleman hot water in demand that I used with the DOT on the last trip. I didn't have it plumbed into the tanks though which is my next job.  There is an outlet in the pump box and going to use that to feed direct into Coleman system.  That will make it much easier for showers and washing up etc.  Will just need to keep an eye on the water when the wife is in the shower ;-)

Offline StrvnMrvn

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • I get payed to go camping!!
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2015, 05:08:33 PM »
Hi  StrvnMrvn, did you ever go with options 2 and 3 as quoted above, I would like to have another room option on the dot for the kids during the longer stays.

Thanks

I haven't taken any steps to get the DOT yet, but I would definitely look at getting the OZtent attachment! The extra awning on the other side you can get off the net pretty cheap with the extra walls.

There is a few other thing that I would get Luke to do for me which I have thought about if I was going to get one.
Cheers

Strvy

Offline trngia

• Tent User
Feedback from DOT owners please! (Drifta Offroad Tourer)
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2015, 06:48:18 AM »
Just thought I would add my review of the DOT to this thread as some may not have seen it. 

New Drifta DOT 6
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=45883

Rich.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 07:48:40 AM by trngia »

Offline Matt211181

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2016, 08:23:39 AM »
Hi All

Just wondering if there's a Drifta DOT owner in Brisbane that would be kind enough to let a prospective future DOT buyer come around and drool over their rig?!

My wife and I are keen on the DOT, but we're just still a bit unsure whether or not it will suit us and our 2 young kids - so we're looking to have a play with one in the flesh before we consider purchasing. Things like storage space and sleeping area in the RTT would be great to see in person. We've emailed Drifta, and they've offered to show us one - but just thought I'd check to see if there's someone local before we head off on a 15hr round trip to Gloucester!

Thanks
Matt

Offline PaulGC

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2016, 11:36:18 AM »
Hi Matt
You could try & message Tbone , doesn't look like hes been on lately but is in Brisbane.
See post - http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=45048.msg758251#msg758251
He may be able to help you out.

Offline campingaroundoz

• Swag User
  • When smoking a fish, never inhale
    • Our big lap
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2016, 03:28:54 PM »
Hi Matt, we are currently heading for bourke in our dot but could be in tamworth in a few weeks time, if thats helps let me know. We are travelling Aus and also have 2 kids aged 6 and 9.
Follow me camper pentacost
https://www.facebook.com/campingaroundoz

Offline Jasjul

• Tent User
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2016, 06:45:08 PM »
For those interested, there's now a Facebook page, invite only

Drifta Fans Australia

I'm not affiliated, but have joined up because I'm a fan of there products.
Jason

Mazda BT50 and Outback Campers Tanami