Author Topic: Acerage near Brisbane  (Read 5797 times)

Offline rockinj

• Soft Floor Camper User
Acerage near Brisbane
« on: September 24, 2016, 08:55:02 PM »
Husband has been offered a job at Brisbane (Eagle Farm) and while we are tempted, I am pretty sure Real Estate will make this opportunity a non starter. Can any Brisbanites let me know of 'rural' areas to look at for ideas of prices.
We want no more than 30/35 mins from Eagle Farm and at least 30 acres (the more the better). We already live 55km from hubby's work in rural Qld so can't see the point of making travel even longer than it is now. Hubby leaves for work 4am so traffic shouldn't be an issue.
The person pushing for hubby to accept the position reckoned we could find 40 acres at Narangba for 400 - 500k. I had a quick look this afternoon and he is dreaming as far as I can see.
I have found heaps of 1 acre places but this is of no use at all.
Thanks for any suggestions. :-)
Trying to find the time to use our camper . . .

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Acerage near Brisbane
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 09:42:55 PM »
Narangba is basically a Northern suburb of Brisbane these days....good luck finding 30 acres of land anywhere 30 - 40 minutes from the centre of Brisbane (which Eagle Farm just about is). If you do find land that size, you'd be up against property developers who'd want to split it up for housing development, it'd cost a bomb to buy.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline BaseCamp

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Shake & Bake BB!
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2016, 09:51:00 PM »
Yeah....   it'll be a bit of a challenge. ....Hamilton and surrounds is mega expensive. ...   

As for 40+ acres within commuting distance that's not a gazillion dollers; good luck with that one. ....   

Maybe go on real estate. com.au ... I seem to recall there is some options in the advanced search areas where you can put in a region "south east queensland"  .....then minium acres "40"   --(annoyingly I think you have to convert it to upteen thousand square metres)....  then maximum cash "$500K"  etc  etc   ....  then go with the map option. ....    you'll get red pins on the map matching your criteria. ...   Keep an eye on ground zero  (Hamilton)...   and see how far out the pins are.....

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

You get out and in to the world -- you take more @#&$. …You climb a little higher, ..you take less @#&$.  …Till one day -- you're up in the rarefied atmosphere -- and you've forgotten what @#&$ even looks like….  Welcome to the layer cake son.

Offline SEADOO

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2016, 10:00:56 PM »
Husband has been offered a job at Brisbane (Eagle Farm) and while we are tempted, I am pretty sure Real Estate will make this opportunity a non starter. Can any Brisbanites let me know of 'rural' areas to look at for ideas of prices.
We want no more than 30/35 mins from Eagle Farm and at least 30 acres (the more the better). We already live 55km from hubby's work in rural Qld so can't see the point of making travel even longer than it is now. Hubby leaves for work 4am so traffic shouldn't be an issue.
The person pushing for hubby to accept the position reckoned we could find 40 acres at Narangba for 400 - 500k. I had a quick look this afternoon and he is dreaming as far as I can see.
I have found heaps of 1 acre places but this is of no use at all.
Thanks for any suggestions. :-)

Keep dreaming.

Unless you move out west, your not going to get that sort of acerage 40 mins from Eagle Farm.

Why does it have to be so large?

KingBilly

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2016, 10:05:29 PM »
Eagle Farm is north side so you would probably need to be thinking out around Caboolture to be getting that sort of acreage at that price.  If you look at somewhere which is easy to get onto one of the major arterials, like the Gateway Motorway, a 4am run to Eagle Farm would be pretty painless.  In fact most major roads will be relatively traffic free until about 6.30.  If you looked at southside of the river, either a toll to get over the Gateway Bridge, Eagle Farm is just off that bridge, or a run through the city, a longer longer journey.

If you see anything that takes your fancy, post it up.  Good luck

KB

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2016, 10:05:50 PM »
Narangba is basically a Northern suburb of Brisbane these days....good luck finding 30 acres of land anywhere 30 - 40 minutes from the centre of Brisbane (which Eagle Farm just about is). If you do find land that size, you'd be up against property developers who'd want to split it up for housing development, it'd cost a bomb to buy.

Somewhere between $750k and $1million per acre is what developers seem to pay around where I am on the North side at Bridgeman Downs 20km from CBD.

Offline rockinj

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2016, 10:20:42 PM »
yea, thought price would be crazy. Think we probably will be better off staying on our farm where we are even though this job offer is tempting. It would be easy if we would be happy to live in town but that is not even something we could contemplate. Wonder how many horses, cows, pigs, dogs and poultry would fit in a babkyard? lol
We better stay country!!!

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2016, 11:07:07 PM »
Eagle Farm is north side so you would probably need to be thinking out around Caboolture to be getting that sort of acreage at that price.  If you look at somewhere which is easy to get onto one of the major arterials, like the Gateway Motorway, a 4am run to Eagle Farm would be pretty painless.  In fact most major roads will be relatively traffic free until about 6.30.  If you looked at southside of the river, either a toll to get over the Gateway Bridge, Eagle Farm is just off that bridge, or a run through the city, a longer longer journey.

If you see anything that takes your fancy, post it up.  Good luck

KB
i live about a 15 minute drive from the city and as KB says, by 6.30 a.m the traffic is pretty heavy, before 6.00 a.m is usually a good run, once you get past 6.15 a.m all bets are off as to what the traffic will be like on any of the main arterials leading towards the city. Personally I'd hate to drive any highway daily into the city if it wasn't being done before 6.00 a.m, it only takes one crash to turn a 30 minute drive into an hour and a half run.

Offline chisel

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Lifestyle Extenda 2012, Landcruiser 100 TD 2006
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2016, 11:22:04 PM »
You might get 5 acres near Mt Cotton or some of the surrounding areas for under $1M with a nice enough house.
Dunno about 30 acres though.  Do you really need 30?

Offline rockinj

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2016, 11:39:47 PM »
yep at a pinch we could go that small. Keep in mind we are farming people and we have animals. Everybody is confirming what we suspected $ are too high to seriously contemplate. Thanks everyone for your input.

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2016, 03:30:59 AM »
Try the Lockyer Valley around Lowood etc.
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2016, 06:46:36 AM »
Try the Lockyer Valley around Lowood etc.
be aware...at 4.00 a.m that's atleast an hours drive though at best and who knows how long at peak hours.

Offline rockinj

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2016, 08:45:58 AM »
Thanks everyone - we are not interested in crazy commutes and million dollar prices. The hours he works now plus the time to and from work is crazy enough without adding more to it. I think it is pretty easy to shelve this idea as unrealistic. The person desperate for him to go to the Brisbane plant can't see why some people have no desire at all to live in Brisbane. He obviously was dangling carrots he knows nothing about.
Thanks again everyone, you have really confirmed for us what we suspected.
My swag is awesome!

Offline Shaun99

• Tent User
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2016, 08:58:00 AM »

Get the bloke offering the job to find the new property.

Until he can back up his statement and provide some examples I think you need to tell him he's dreaming!

Offline rockinj

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2016, 09:11:25 AM »
Get the bloke offering the job to find the new property.

Until he can back up his statement and provide some examples I think you need to tell him he's dreaming!

Ha ha, good point.

I should send him a copy of 'The Castle'. :-)

Offline Garfish

• Mini Marlin
  • Soft Floor Camper User
  • Have fun and enjoy
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2016, 07:20:28 PM »
http://raywhitecaboolture.com.au/qld/toorbul/1538087/

But Ivwouldn't believe the marketing spiel that it is 45 mins to Brisbane airport would be closer to an hour and that is out of traffic.   

As others have said Acreage won't be within easy drive of Brisbane and not mega $.   I worked at the airport for years and I'm only half way to toorbul and that commute was long enough.

Sent from my fingers via my brain
Ross
No camper or 4x4 😪

Offline BaseCamp

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Shake & Bake BB!
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2016, 12:01:30 PM »
^^^^^^^
Does this fine print at the bottom of the ad mean that it has already gone to auction and was passed in; and now is for sale at $425K ono; or is it just "bait"?

This property is being sold by auction or without a price and therefore a price guide can not be provided. The website may have filtered the property into a price bracket for website functionality purposes.
You get out and in to the world -- you take more @#&$. …You climb a little higher, ..you take less @#&$.  …Till one day -- you're up in the rarefied atmosphere -- and you've forgotten what @#&$ even looks like….  Welcome to the layer cake son.

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2016, 02:09:06 PM »
be aware...at 4.00 a.m that's atleast an hours drive though at best and who knows how long at peak hours.

Not the way I drive.  >:D  ;D
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline hempo

• Tent User
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2016, 04:12:46 PM »
That add at Toorbul is land only.  Then you need another few hundred to build a house.

Going in at 4 might be okay, but coming home in mid afternoon is a nightmare.  Particularly around the Deagon area with all of the roadworks.

Closest Northsiode for price and size would be around Woodford. Well over an hour each way at those times of day.  More likely hour and a half coming home.

Not sure about Southside.  Would have to be down Mt Cotton/Sheldon way which is pretty expensive as noted above.

If you are out near Wondai I would be staying there.  We go out there regularly to see family and friends.

Cheers
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 04:15:15 PM by hempo »
2016 Holden Colorado LS Cab Chassis with 2011 Jimboomba Condamine Camper Trailer

Offline Hoyks

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2016, 07:12:37 PM »
I'm out near Marburg/Rosewood area and the 100 acres just over my back fence sold for a neat mill. A lot of the area here is over old underground coal mines, so isn't really suited to subdivision. People tend to complain when their foundations crack ???

The easiest way to get into town from here is to drive to Dinmore station and train it in. My wife worked in Roma St and for her to get to work it was 1.5 hours in the car on a good day (the same trip is 40min on a Saturday). Home again was around the same.
Taking the train was 15-20 minutes to the station and a reasonably reliable 40-45 minutes and you didn't arrive mentally exhausted from driving in stop/start bumper to bumper traffic.

Now she has a new job 16 minutes from the door. ;D

But, park and ride might be a better option, I'm not a fan of public transport as it generally has the public on it, but driving in heavy traffic just does my head in.

Offline V8ute

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2016, 08:19:27 PM »
I live @ Marburg, I'm a Tradie and leave home @ 5. Could easily get to eagle farm in under a hour. Did it for 18 months working on units @ hamilton.
Plenty of land around here ;D
 :cheers:
   V8ute
08 Cruiser ute, 10 Outback Eagle.
Loaded ready to roll

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2016, 10:13:39 AM »
Maybe worth a look! Vicki is a really nice person.
https://www.raywhite.com/qld/armstrong-creek/1428209/
Good Luck
Steve
'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"