Author Topic: Resigned - Gunna hit the road. (April Update)  (Read 11967 times)

Offline Barrabart

• "Queenslander forever, forever Queenslander"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
Resigned - Gunna hit the road. (April Update)
« on: October 22, 2017, 04:39:18 PM »
G'day all,

I've spent the last 10yrs working a FIFO job in PNG, it's always been a hard gig at work but the last couple of years have been getting worse.
Anyway, the kids are pretty much all grown up and off our hands, so the Mrs and I have been making some loose plans for me to in the coming months throw the towel in up here.

Well I returned to work last Tuesday, was met with the same sh1tfight and pressures we always walk into, worked through the day thinking seriously, WTF am I really doing here.
That night was yarning with the wife back in Aus on our usual hit and miss messenger voice chat (wifi cuts out every few mins up here) and told her how I was just over it and reckon I might just say f#*k it and snatch it tomorrow. Of course being a good Mrs she said, well, if that what you really want to do, go for it........
So Wednesday morn I did just that.  ;D ;D ;D

Anyway, I have a couple more swings to push through, but come 20th Dec I'm outa here....... and it will be the 3rd Xmas in 10yrs I've been home for.

Plans are at the moment to hook up and head somewhere, debating though wether to unload all the cars, my old 100 series cruiser (petrol), my mobile skip bin 90's tray back hilux and the Mrs's little Yaris and the tracky  :'( , replace the Cruiser with a more economical 4cyl diesel and a suitable caravan for the Mrs and I.
Thinking a c'van might be better as I could end up doing stints away at mines and parking the Mrs up somewhere safe while I'm away topping up the bank account..

So we have some decisions to make around that, though it looks like we've already got someone to rent our house....... but anyway, early days yet any advice from any of you that have done something similar would be great.
Only thing I know is that I already feel better knowing I'm getting the hell outa here and back home to the Mrs and in some way shape or form we're hitting the road.

The finer details we'll sort as we go.  :cheers:

Feel free to offer up tips or your experiences.....

Catch yas
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 08:43:30 PM by Barrabart »
Trackabout Safari towed by an old HJ75 Cruiser Tray Back.. Lovin'it!!!

Offline glenm64

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Resigned - Gunna hit the road.
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 05:38:24 PM »
G'day all,

I've spent the last 10yrs working a FIFO job in PNG, it's always been a hard gig at work but the last couple of years have been getting worse.
Anyway, the kids are pretty much all grown up and off our hands, so the Mrs and I have been making some loose plans for me to in the coming months throw the towel in up here.

Well I returned to work last Tuesday, was met with the same sh1tfight and pressures we always walk into, worked through the day thinking seriously, WTF am I really doing here.
That night was yarning with the wife back in Aus on our usual hit and miss messenger voice chat (wifi cuts out every few mins up here) and told her how I was just over it and reckon I might just say f#*k it and snatch it tomorrow. Of course being a good Mrs she said, well, if that what you really want to do, go for it........
So Wednesday morn I did just that.  ;D ;D ;D

Anyway, I have a couple more swings to push through, but come 20th Dec I'm outa here....... and it will be the 3rd Xmas in 10yrs I've been home for.

Plans are at the moment to hook up and head somewhere, debating though wether to unload all the cars, my old 100 series cruiser (petrol), my mobile skip bin 90's tray back hilux and the Mrs's little Yaris and the tracky  :'( , replace the Cruiser with a more economical 4cyl diesel and a suitable caravan for the Mrs and I.
Thinking a c'van might be better as I could end up doing stints away at mines and parking the Mrs up somewhere safe while I'm away topping up the bank account..

So we have some decisions to make around that, though it looks like we've already got someone to rent our house....... but anyway, early days yet any advice from any of you that have done something similar would be great.
Only thing I know is that I already feel better knowing I'm getting the hell outa here and back home to the Mrs and in some way shape or form we're hitting the road.

The finer details we'll sort as we go.  :cheers:

Feel free to offer up tips or your experiences.....

Catch yas
Good on you mate. Lifes too short to spend it doing what you dont enjoy.

Cheers Glen

There's a big difference between kneeling down
......... and bending over.
The following users thanked this post: Barrabart

KingBilly

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 06:11:15 PM »
Wish I had those decisions to make.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.  Enjoy your new life.

KB

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
Resigned - Gunna hit the road.
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 06:27:12 PM »
You have the 1st step done......living what most of us are still dreaming off

Good luck with the search of the perfect touring setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 07:37:16 PM by weeds »

Offline Thirsty4.8

• Sleeping Bag User
  • Patrol 3L CRD - was 4.8 petrol but drank too much!
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 06:32:34 PM »
Good luck - some days I think we all feel like doing that.
3L Patrol. Lifestyle Extenda Elite.

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 09:47:32 PM »
Bloody good stuff, many here would be very envious.

From what I have read, get rid of all your furniture etc don't store it. Everyone that has done similar to you has alays regretted keeping all their old stuff....
2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2017, 09:51:48 PM »
Good luck = MOST EVERY DAY,   I think we all feel like doing that.
Fixed it for you .. ;D
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 06:50:18 AM »
Plenty of jobs out there. Hit the road and you will nevef look back. Its coming up to 3 years since we left Cairns.

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline themissus

• Swag User
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2017, 03:19:49 PM »
It'll be the best decision you'll ever make. We've been on the road 4 years and love it. There is plenty of work out there and you will have a crack at jobs you never imagined yourself doing. Life is cheap on the road, we work on average 3 months of the year. If you can find a housesit while your working you will save a fortune in park fees. Most of our jobs have included accommodation which is also handy.
As for the perfect set up, it's a unicorn, there is always a compromise. We started with a swag and a boat and now have a AOR Q+. I miss having a boat but LOVE having a shower and toilet as we free camp 99% of the time.
Good luck, you've taken biggest step, it's all fun from here!
Cheers Kim
Showing the grey nomads how it's done :-D
The following users thanked this post: Barrabart, Windowlicker

Offline Wunderlust

• Tent User
    • NoSetPlan.com.au
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2017, 07:20:31 PM »
You’ll not regret your massive decision. I did the same, we are now 9 months into our trip and seen places, done things and worked in the most amazing places some could only dream off.
No Set Plan - Our Aussie Adventurehttp://www.nosetplan.com.au

Offline Barrabart

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2017, 09:55:31 PM »
Plenty of jobs out there. Hit the road and you will nevef look back. Its coming up to 3 years since we left Cairns.

Mark
Yeah mate, your travels have been on my mind.

Sent from my LG-K520 using Tapatalk

Offline Barrabart

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2017, 09:58:14 PM »
It'll be the best decision you'll ever make. We've been on the road 4 years and love it. There is plenty of work out there and you will have a crack at jobs you never imagined yourself doing. Life is cheap on the road, we work on average 3 months of the year. If you can find a housesit while your working you will save a fortune in park fees. Most of our jobs have included accommodation which is also handy.
As for the perfect set up, it's a unicorn, there is always a compromise. We started with a swag and a boat and now have a AOR Q+. I miss having a boat but LOVE having a shower and toilet as we free camp 99% of the time.
Good luck, you've taken biggest step, it's all fun from here!
Cheers Kim
Thanks Kim, my wife and I are pretty excited!  I'll be frikken over the moon on my last fly out from here.

Offline pommiedic

• Tent User
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2017, 08:52:06 AM »
Just do it mate. Ask anyone on the road "any regrets" and the answer is a standard "not doing it sooner"
Why is the 1st Tea of the day the best?

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2017, 03:41:44 PM »
Well done. I took early retirement 6 years  ago and so glad I did. Have had the best 'MY TIME' since. Gone from soft floor camper to AOR hard floor to Bushtracker van. Spent 12 months on the road last year in the van but still have the camper which our kids use (kids? They are in their mid 30s with kids) still amasing how many travellers wish they started earlier.  You will have no regrets.  Kevin
Kris and Kev
2008 TTD Landcruiser 200 GXL, Aust Off Road Camper, 20ft Bushtracker.

Offline Barrabart

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2017, 04:45:24 PM »
If anyone knows of someone who may be looking to sell a good little touring caravan for the Mrs and I, feel free to give me a yell.
Thinking, under $20k should see us getting started, don't want anything huge, thinking around 18 foot??
Also, any tips on pro's and con's of different brand caravans?
Any to avoid?

Offline Muckinhell

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • 2014 Ecomate traveller forward fold.
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2017, 07:25:29 PM »
all the best on your travells, i dream of doing this most every day as well, have you got  a link to your place of work so i may be able to afford the same in few years time? Am a sparky if that helps.
2005 HDJ100r Sahara
Better to look at it, than for it!

Offline Rob Mac

• Tent User
  • My Father learning to drive 1950
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2017, 08:03:19 PM »
Good on Ya BB, just did this end of July myself. Although not cause of my job, I liked it and was damn good at it, nearly 19 years.
Got cancer so thought I did not want to die on the job, so retired just short of 62nd birthday, bought a Jayco 16ft Starcraft and am traveling. Sitting in Edmonton at the moment, been catching up with cousins and friends here and tablelands then head back to Brisbane for next check-up.
Going to do 10-11 week trips and if it holds off maybe do casual work and just quick trips back for check-ups.
Play it by ear and see how it goes.
Cheers. 
Potatoes go with anything

Offline phatassphairy

• Swag User
  • BarraBarts better half
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2017, 11:43:14 PM »
Hello everyone.... This is the wife 😁.

I can not really put into words all the things that are going through my head right now in the way of processing what we need to have done.... I am sure I will have a few sookie lala moments when we start selling off stuff....  But am I hesitant.... No bloody way....  I miss barrabarts company beyond my ability to express the depth of that truth on here.... But to say I am so pleased that we decided in a 10 Min chat... Let's do it...  Snatch the Job.
.and let's just jump neck deep into living life as walkabout Gypsies... Make the bucks when we can...  And eat sleep and drink together as often as we can.....  I truly feel blessed to be living our dream.....  In just under 7 weeks we will be celebrating our 30year anniversary.... I reckon what a smasher of a gift.... Hitting the road. 

Ps...  Can't wait for 20th of December... 
have you ever noticed, that whenever you run into a spiderweb, you turn into a ninja?!
The following users thanked this post: PJ80, edz

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2017, 06:33:50 AM »
You Go Girl   Treg up & Make Dust                   :cup: :cup: :cheers:
Everybody ask yourself  , What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail  ???     
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline themissus

• Swag User
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2017, 05:03:11 PM »
Hello everyone.... This is the wife 😁.

I can not really put into words all the things that are going through my head right now in the way of processing what we need to have done.... I am sure I will have a few sookie lala moments when we start selling off stuff....  But am I hesitant.... No bloody way....  I miss barrabarts company beyond my ability to express the depth of that truth on here.... But to say I am so pleased that we decided in a 10 Min chat... Let's do it...  Snatch the Job.
.and let's just jump neck deep into living life as walkabout Gypsies... Make the bucks when we can...  And eat sleep and drink together as often as we can.....  I truly feel blessed to be living our dream.....  In just under 7 weeks we will be celebrating our 30year anniversary.... I reckon what a smasher of a gift.... Hitting the road. 

You'll never look back and wonder why you didn't do it sooner!!!
There are plenty of traveling and working pages on Facebook to follow for tips and ideas.
Good luck!!
Cheers Kim
Showing the grey nomads how it's done :-D

Offline Barrabart

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2017, 09:31:44 PM »
Hello everyone.... This is the wife .

Yep, can't wait.

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2017, 06:40:08 AM »
The longest journey starts wilt the 1st step                 :cup:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Troublekitty

• Learning the Ropes
    • Skampering Around Australia
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2017, 08:16:28 PM »
I totally get it Phairy!

Maybe we should start a "Future Vagabonds Support Group"???  Meetings starting soon in a city near you....

-TroubleKitty

Offline Barrabart

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2017, 11:26:40 AM »
Good on Ya BB, just did this end of July myself. Although not cause of my job, I liked it and was damn good at it, nearly 19 years.
Got cancer so thought I did not want to die on the job, so retired just short of 62nd birthday, bought a Jayco 16ft Starcraft and am traveling. Sitting in Edmonton at the moment, been catching up with cousins and friends here and tablelands then head back to Brisbane for next check-up.
Going to do 10-11 week trips and if it holds off maybe do casual work and just quick trips back for check-ups.
Play it by ear and see how it goes.
Cheers.

All the best to ya mate..... Here's to plenty of years of getting about, seeing new sights....... :cheers:
The following users thanked this post: Rob Mac

Offline Barrabart

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2017, 01:18:45 PM »
Well all, there's been a bit of a turn of events............. a fewdays after posting this thread I received a call from a bloke regarding a job offer.........
So long story short, it looks like I may be taking up an advisory gig for a 4 - 6 month Production Improvements Project. Which means I get to resign from my current employer and jump in with an engineering group who are going to be designing the required bits of kit for my current employer..... go figure.
So talk about a change of scenery, if all goes to plan I'll be finishing up this gig in PNG and going to work in down town Brisvegas, shacked up in an apartment with the Mrs, all paid for in a round about sort of way by the mob I'm resigning with.......  :cheers:

While all this is exciting, and a good offer and opportunity I'm still keen to get it over and done with and get back to the original 'hit the road and go' plan.......

But I'm thinking also, I'll see out the job in Brissy, get a few more $$ tucked away and buy a Tug & C'van down around Brissy somewhere, hopefully there will be a few more to choose from and the prices a little more competitive than up in Cairns.....

Anyway, watch this space...... And anyone who owns a Car/Caravan combo around SE Qld who wants to unload it around Jun 2018 keep me in mind....