Author Topic: Resigned - Gunna hit the road. (April Update)  (Read 12038 times)

Offline Barrabart

• "Queenslander forever, forever Queenslander"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Resigned - Gunna hit the road. (April Update)
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2018, 10:02:38 AM »
I agree with speewa.  Don’t sell up.  You need to remain in the property market otherwise you may never be able to buy back into it.  Ask any of the professionals, don’t take my word for it, they will give you the same advice.

CB, Speewah and Dicko,

Thanks for your advice..... like I said earlier, unless I get the price I'm asking for the house I'll be renting it out...... we've probably spent around $50k on it over the last few years making it how we wanted it, hence the why I'm not in any urgency to sell it, as no doubt one day we'll move back in...... As for renting, we have a good agent with proven history with other friends and family who rent there houses, also, we have a few friends of friends who have shown interest in renting our house so I reckon we'll be giving it a crack first......
Trackabout Safari towed by an old HJ75 Cruiser Tray Back.. Lovin'it!!!

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2018, 12:05:40 PM »
Renting vs selling is such a personal decision, no one can tell you what's right for your circumstances unless they've walked in your shoes. Good luck with whatever decision you go with moving forward. Tenants can be a real pain, or they can be fine and as reliable as the sun getting up each day. Good agents help a great deal.

Loved reading over your story thus far. I know the feeling all too well of grand plans hitting the cutting room floor, so to speak, when life changes for some unforeseen reason. Patience and determination, it'll happen. :D
Trinity (+ James + Mister Dog)
'04 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Wagon + '06 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Coil Cab Ute + '18 Ultimate Xplor GT Camper

www.bulldustandbackroads.com
The following users thanked this post: Barrabart

Offline Barrabart

• "Queenslander forever, forever Queenslander"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2018, 12:30:58 PM »
Renting vs selling is such a personal decision, no one can tell you what's right for your circumstances unless they've walked in your shoes. Good luck with whatever decision you go with moving forward. Tenants can be a real pain, or they can be fine and as reliable as the sun getting up each day. Good agents help a great deal.

Loved reading over your story thus far. I know the feeling all too well of grand plans hitting the cutting room floor, so to speak, when life changes for some unforeseen reason. Patience and determination, it'll happen. :D

Thanks Trinityalyce......

Yeah hoping we get good tenants, should do as we'll be scrutinising the applications and so forth......... and yep, I do believe you always hear about the horror story's and not so many about families that have rented the same house for a decade or more, treating it as their own, planting gardens etc..... (I know of a couple of stories like this).
As for my story, we never really had grand plans, just knew we needed a change from the expat FIFO world........ we've achieved that, so we're happy as!!!

Life's what ya make it!!  ;D
Trackabout Safari towed by an old HJ75 Cruiser Tray Back.. Lovin'it!!!

Offline Bigpickle

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2018, 10:14:24 PM »
My 2 cents worth, if I may, is that you should look to do your trip asap.

In 2013, wife and I set out with our van on a 2 year odyssey around Oz. We had house sitters and a good budget and were able to do pretty well whatever we liked. We were both in our 60's but both quite healthy and active.

One of the most glaring things we noticed was the number of old folks that pulled up alongside us at various attractions (especially those that involved a bit of a walk to access the "spot"), got out of their car, walked around the car park, read the information board then got back into their car and drove away.

These people were on the trip of a lifetime but were not able to access the sites due to physical incapacity. I found it sad to talk to them about their inability to experience what they had spent time and money to see.

The crux of this post is to do it while you are young enough and fit enough to enjoy it. There is nothing worse than pulling up at Kings Canyon or Rawnsley Park and not being able to experience what you have come to see.
The following users thanked this post: stephenh1235, trinityalyce

Offline briann532

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2018, 08:45:49 AM »

These people were on the trip of a lifetime but were not able to access the sites due to physical incapacity. I found it sad to talk to them about their inability to experience what they had spent time and money to see.

The crux of this post is to do it while you are young enough and fit enough to enjoy it. There is nothing worse than pulling up at Kings Canyon or Rawnsley Park and not being able to experience what you have come to see.

Great advice.
Back to a swag!
BitsiShity Tryton
Spending most of my time at the farm in Dalton!

Offline glenm64

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2018, 09:12:47 AM »
Pickle is spot on.
We've always tried to get around the country but life just seemed to keep getting cluttered with things.
My big wake up call was my youngest brother who was healthy with no known medical problems dropped dead in his 40's.
Now life is far more focused on the real important things.
Family time, a simplified life and getting around this great country as much as possible.
Never been more content.

Cheers Glen

There's a big difference between kneeling down
......... and bending over.