Author Topic: Buying First Camper Trailer - Skamper Nomad  (Read 2448 times)

Offline Mjaydee

• Learning the Ropes
Buying First Camper Trailer - Skamper Nomad
« on: April 27, 2018, 07:31:33 AM »
Hi all, long time listener, first time caller here!
So I've just about convinced the Minister of finances on the purchase of our first camper to upgrade from tenting! We've got our eye on a 2nd hand Skamper Kamper nomad, does anyone have any experience with these?

We're not looking at doing any offroad stuff, just some national parks etc, we're happy with the tent I'm just not sure about the quality of the trailer.

Our budget isn't too high so we're limited in what we can look at, other than the skamper, we've been looking at a few MDC ones as well.

Any help would be great!

Offline JusyApples

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Buying First Camper Trailer - Skamper Nomad
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 08:48:30 AM »
Not sure about the nomad but one their models won a camper trailer of the year award
Bought a what?
Researching my next camper

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 09:37:43 AM »

Any help would be great!
[/quote
What ever you decide to get into 1st up  , as you see more your thoughts will change .
lf you think about your 1st car ,  are you still driving that  ??? . You have possibly moved on to bogger & better     ??? ;D  . Enjoy the ride    :cheers: 
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Hookie

• Tent User
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 04:21:45 PM »
I don't have any experience specific to that model, but as far as generic trailer buying advise, I'd recommend choosing quality over frills. There are a lot of cheap trailers with a lot of fruit that doesn't stand up to wear and tear, and there are a lot of cheap trailers that forego a lot of the shiny bits and have quality where it counts. If you start with a good solid base, you can add the parts you really want down the track, there's no shortage of parts and addons around.
If you're ever going anywhere near a beach, I recommend going for a galvanised trailer.
A good sized toolbox is a bonus too. You might think, as a seasoned tenter, that you'll never need that much storage, and it might be a while before you do, but there's always more crap you can bring. A toolbox on the front is great for things that you always want to have along, but don't want to have to pack and unpack because they're in the trailer box under the bed.
Also, I've said it here before and I'll probably say it again, I think in the lower price range MDC trailers are definitely worth a look.

Offline Mjaydee

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2018, 11:41:35 AM »
Thanks so much, friends of ours have the Skamper Ranger & it's great but out of our price range, so I found the Nomad which I believe is an older model light duty trailer. As a "seasoned camper" We still carry a whole assortment of crap lol, so I'm definitely looking for a trailer with the front toolbox.

There is a galvanised one for sale however it comes with the smaller 9ft tent which I'm concerned will end up being too small for us as the kids grow.

Sheesh, I thought the hard part was gonna be convincing the wife!

I'll check out the MDC ones I've got my eye on. Thanks for the advice