Author Topic: pole hedge trimmers  (Read 2530 times)

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
pole hedge trimmers
« on: February 08, 2019, 07:28:18 AM »
hi all,

in the market for a pole hedge trimmer...

we have 'aussie boomer' hedges that are up to nearly 3m high, so am looking for something to trim them up a bit...

our local hire place doesn't have them to hire, so a purchase is on the cards...

i see bunnings has an ozito 18v setup (including battery) for $129, but am worried that it won't be powerful enough...

https://www.bunnings.com.au/ozito-power-x-change-18v-pole-hedge-trimmer-kit_p0054478

always been a fan of more grunt (BIL has a shindaiwa petrol normal hedge trimmer and it works a treat) and i think petrol will give me this, but at a steep price premium...

thinking about a stihl combi system, but very expensive...

anyone have this type of hedge trimmer (petrol or battery)?  thoughts appreciated...

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: pole hedge trimmers
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 07:33:12 AM »
Ozito also do a corded one for $99.
Only know that cause I'm looking for a pole saw which will get very little use so I'm looking at the cheap end of the market.
Even considering a no-name combo of fleabay
2013 Aussie Jays - Crusher      2013 Toyota Hilux. 
The following users thanked this post: paceman

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 07:34:20 AM »
lf you have a straight shaft brush cutter  your in . l put an old saw blade on mine then l can face the sides of the hedge with ease . this is what l use to trim my Screenmaster hedge along the front of my house . This will take a bit to master the unit but so will a hedge trimmer  .    :cheers:
Goes well in long grass as well  .              :cup:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 07:36:55 AM »
Ozito also do a corded one for $99.
Only know that cause I'm looking for a pole saw which will get very little use so I'm looking at the cheap end of the market.
Even considering a no-name combo of fleabay

i did see the corded, but not really fussed on having cords, to be honest...

i was using a corded trimmer to get as high as i could before, but the cord kept annoying me and getting hooked up in the garden...

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2019, 07:38:03 AM »
lf you have a straight shaft brush cutter  your in . l put an old saw blade on mine then l can face the sides of the hedge with ease . this is what l use to trim my Screenmaster hedge along the front of my house . This will take a bit to master the unit but so will a hedge trimmer  .    :cheers:
Goes well in long grass as well  .              :cup:

interesting... i have a straight shaft kawasaki that has served me well for a long time...

what size saw blade?  how did it attach to the head?

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2019, 07:56:10 AM »
Quote from: speewa158
:worthles: :worthles:
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2019, 08:47:53 AM »
Why do I have visions of the Monty python Black Knight with no arms and legs scene  ;D  ;D Ahh its just a flesh wound  ;D
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2019, 01:41:40 PM »
If you are just using it for a trim, not a hack, the Ozito power X change one should be OK, it won't be as good or as quick as a Stihl or Shindaiwa units ( I have both) but should still get the job done. One thing to consider when looking is weight, if you aren't used to using them, you will discover muscles you didn't know you have. The Ozito Power X Change one is what I recommended to my Dad, and had a go at his hedge with it last year, It went well for the price, and your arms are probably going to give up before the battery.

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2019, 02:02:04 PM »
If you are just using it for a trim, not a hack, the Ozito power X change one should be OK, it won't be as good or as quick as a Stihl or Shindaiwa units ( I have both) but should still get the job done. One thing to consider when looking is weight, if you aren't used to using them, you will discover muscles you didn't know you have. The Ozito Power X Change one is what I recommended to my Dad, and had a go at his hedge with it last year, It went well for the price, and your arms are probably going to give up before the battery.

i went into the local outdoor shop today and they had the shindaiwa petrol and it certainly is heavy...

i'm actually being tempted by the stihl battery powered units, which they also had on display...

and they have a pole saw skin, which may come in handy in the future...

up there in price, but i am more of a 'buy once, buy good' type of bloke, when it comes to this stuff...

Offline Kangaron

• "Don't make excuses, Make it Happen."
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2019, 02:21:21 PM »
I used a Ryobi trimmer at a mates place a few weeks back, was impressed with the adjustable head and interchangeable  blades.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owBVwDa7O_Q

Offline Coolblue80

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2019, 06:35:19 AM »
I needed to purchase a pole saw recently and due to a lack of choice where i live and not wanting to wait for a mail order unit, I got a Rover whipper snipper (didn't want it but couldn't buy the power unit by itself) and the pole saw attachment.  $310 in total.  I see they do a hedge trimmer attach.attachment as well. I've done a couple of bigger jobs at home and at dad's place and i am quite happy with the performance. Might be something to look at. https://www.rover.com.au/handhelds/hedge-trimmer-attachment.html
2015 Mitsi Pajero. Dobbo MRR Lift, ARB Bar, MM4X4 Lock Up Mate, Intervolt DC Pro DBS, 12,000lb Mako winch. Bla Bla Bla.

96 80 Series. Lots of mods, not enough wheeling. - Gone but not forgotten.
Gulf King Warrior soft floor camper & 19ft Jayco Van