Author Topic: Newbie & looking for advice!  (Read 2920 times)

Offline boondy_999

• Learning the Ropes
Newbie & looking for advice!
« on: January 23, 2018, 09:36:35 PM »
G’day everyone,

Had a quick look through the forum and looks like I’ll have plenty of hours flicking through threads getting tips and tricks to make our journey even better!

Wasn’t sure where to post this, but I’d say this is as good as any!
Quick background on our situation:
- Planning a trip Perth to Darwin around may/June for 6-7weeks (would love eventually to do the full lap!)
- Myself and my partner travelling & maybe the dog but hopefully leave him at home as National parks would be a nightmare.
- Hdj100 cruiser as the tow rig fairly setup for touring with all the good bits

Now I already know the answer but just to re-assure myself and the mrs I’d like to get your opinion on what I’ve been looking at.

MDC forward or rearfold (haven’t made our minds up yet), there’s a few secondhand that seem close to brand new but a few $grand knocked off
OR
A mate is about to sell his Followme Argyle explorer, has done two big trips probably more than one big lap collectively(30-40k km). For probably 3-4K more than we were looking to spend.

Am I mad to even consider the Chinese imports over the WA built followme camper?
Has anyone dealt with or compaired the two or similar?

I’m all ears as this is our first CT

Cheers!
Dean.

Offline gordo350

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Newbie & looking for advice!
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 06:28:22 AM »
You know the correct answer.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 06:32:58 AM by gordo350 »
Gordo 350
2015 Ford Ranger Super Cab
Aussie Jays Big Red
everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 09:01:40 AM »
If your doing 1 or few trips for that time, buy a cheap trailer, do your trip, and flog it off.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline boondy_999

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 03:29:31 PM »
Darwin/Gibb river road will be the main trip we focus on. Will use it for a few weekend getaways down south of WA but none of that will be very strenuous, just sand dunes at worst.

We are considering another east coast trip or even full lap in the following year or two.

Mainly worried about the structural integrity of the trailer dragging it through the Gibb and off through the stations nearby... Heavily leaning towards the Followme as Aussie built is always the favourite for stength