Author Topic: Off road van or hybrid  (Read 8112 times)

Offline outbackogre

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Off road van or hybrid
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2018, 09:25:00 AM »
Wow, that exploroz thread is an eye watering read.  :'(  I wonder if the later (from 2015 I think) Tuff Trax models still have those problems.
My friends call me Rob.  You can call me ... Rob!
NW auto diesel Pajero towing a Jayco Starcraft Outback.

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2018, 03:48:11 PM »
All this talk of off-road vans vs hybrids seems to ring a bell... 🤔

Probably because that was us probably 9+ months ago! 😂 There's even a thread I started on here that had some awesome suggestions from a lot of members... Probably could find it if you did a search.

Anyway. Long story short we went with an Ultimate. You CAN pick one up second hand in the price range the OP is talking, but that'll be an older one. Despite the company's recent struggles (don't buy new... at least just yet - fingers crossed they get themselves out of the pickle they're in!) they are a quality Aussie made product. Just ask any Ulti owner and they'll sing it's praises just like we do.

Everyone has different priorities but it worked out to be the best option for us for these reasons:

- We didn't need an indoor shower/toilet. Plus, there's a toilet locker and a hot/cold outdoor shower outlet on the camper so we just throw up an ensuite tent and we're set wherever!
- We needed indoor space to protect us from the sun/flies/rain/whatever depending on the time/season/location. It has a good-sized U-shaped couch and indoor kitchen. Yes, I cook inside. But we also carry a table and our old camp stove so I can still cook outside should I so choose (and have the fire pit that I also cook on).
- We wanted a "normal" sized bed. We're both short, but even so we didn't want one of those tiny little caravan beds you often see. The Ulti has a massive king-size bed, and with a cheap topper it is damn comfortable, too.
- Initially we didn't want a lot of canvas... but we decided it was moreso that we didn't want a difficult or time-consuming set-up, and canvas was OK as long as it kept out the weather (which it does). We can be completely set up with a cold drink in hand in under 15 minutes.
- Most important? IT HAD TO BE LIGHT AND TRULY OFF-ROAD. We weren't done with remote travel and rough or sandy tracks. We didn't want some heavy boat-anchor dragging behind us stopping us getting to certain spots. No issues there with the Ulti. And at a little over a tonne fully loaded the Jimny could nearly tow it. 🤣 Jokes aside, it is a safe and sensible option for a lot of lighter vehicles that don't have the huge towing capacity that is often required for spec'd out off-road vans that are notoriously heavy. Even with the Patrol we don't use as much fuel, don't need to worry about it overheating, etc. - all of which could have been an issue with a full-sized off-road van.

The moral of my not-so-little story? Figure out your priorities. Go and look at a LOT of options. Discuss your priorities some more... then look at everything again. The first time we looked at an Ultimate we both laughed and said "never". Heck, we called it an ugly upside-down boat! But we LOVE our camper and it suits us perfectly. We're so glad we didn't go down the path of getting a huge, heavy caravan or cross-over thing. What we have suits us perfectly. But there are different options out there because we are all different. Find what works for you.
Trinity (+ James + Mister Dog)
'04 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Wagon + '06 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Coil Cab Ute + '18 Ultimate Xplor GT Camper

www.bulldustandbackroads.com

Offline tombie

• Tent User
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2018, 05:05:02 PM »
Tombie, do you have the (Alko?) independent rubber strut suspension and over ride brakes on your Xplorer?  I like these vans but am a bit put off by the suspension and brakes.

Yes, it does.  Well maintained and it works a treat.
I will be upgrading to electric brakes once these wear out though, just because I can.

Check older units for water ingress (applies to many vans) and if you get a good one you’ll be fine.

The suspension hasn’t ever caused a problem on even the worst surfaces (at silly speeds occasionally too )

And absolutely no worries about the chassis, solid as a rock, one of the primary reasons I purchased this particular unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline outbackogre

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2018, 07:56:33 PM »
Thanks Tombie.
My friends call me Rob.  You can call me ... Rob!
NW auto diesel Pajero towing a Jayco Starcraft Outback.

Offline 2010banditsa

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Cheers- It's 12 O'clock somewhere
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2019, 11:38:27 AM »
how about a goldstream pop top? I have smashed the absolute bejesus out of ours and its performed with no problems at all
Isuzu MUX
2013 Goldstream 16' poptop with bunk
Van- http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=31445

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2019, 12:29:55 PM »
If my experience with Ezytrail is anything to go by, don't touch them. I spend more time screwing mine back together than I did enjoying it. And the Sydney Ezytrail head office told me it carries zero spare parts.
Keith
200 Series 2008, bull bar, Airmax snorkel,rack with 200 watt solar, third battery, winch, 33's with 2 spares, long range tank, drawers & barrier, bash plates, lifted & locked, Richards transmission lockup plus plenty of dings. Now towing the new Off Road Glamper.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2019, 04:30:09 PM »
If my experience with Ezytrail is anything to go by, don't touch them. I spend more time screwing mine back together than I did enjoying it. And the Sydney Ezytrail head office told me it carries zero spare parts.
Keith
"zero" is actually the name of their 120 piece spare parts kit. You just misunderstood what they were getting at.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2019, 10:04:09 PM »
Bird, I might not be looking hard enough, but I could find no spare parts kits on the Ezytrail website.
A year ago, when I needed a replacement stone guard mesh for my 3 year old Eden LX, I was told that they only carried parts for the models that were currently on sale.
No stone guard mesh, no tent frame parts, nothing.
Keith
200 Series 2008, bull bar, Airmax snorkel,rack with 200 watt solar, third battery, winch, 33's with 2 spares, long range tank, drawers & barrier, bash plates, lifted & locked, Richards transmission lockup plus plenty of dings. Now towing the new Off Road Glamper.