Author Topic: Remote controlled flying things-Quads, Hex, Octo or anything  (Read 673316 times)

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Remote controlled flying things-Quads, Hex, Octo or anything
« Reply #2050 on: December 20, 2015, 11:06:31 PM »
Friendly reminder :)

http://www.news.com.au/national/breaking-news/warnings-issued-over-christmas-drones/news-story/0c5be894245da7613dfa6c15c483bef1

Hi D4D,

Sad they need to do that (i wish people would apply common sense), but as a point of fact there are a number of inaccuracies.  I know they are trying to keep it simple but they should stick to the facts.  It's like saying that we should all drive 40km/h in a school zone, even when it's not in effect or even in the school zones but everywhere....  Just to keep it simple....  Sound good or are we dumbing it down too much...  Dumb it down and then expect people to be dumb.....

First Inaccuracy - Night flying is allowed if following MAAA or AMAS guidelines....  No requirement to belong to the organisation.
101.390  Operating model aircraft at night
 &
101.385  Visibility for operation of model aircraft

No 30m rule for buildings, there is an item for a failure, it has to avoid hitting a building in a populous area.  That pretty much means dont fly over a building that you dont own.  Unless you know the failure modes really well dont fly in your street or backyard, stick to a park (unless it's so light it is really unlikely to damage the building).  There is a 30m rule for people.
101.055  Hazardous operation prohibited

400ft limit only applies if within 3nm of a Aerodrome or Helipad or in Controlled airspace (this really doesnt cover most of the cities as claimed by CASA - it does cover most cities but at a height higher than 400ft).  I've got two heli pads in my area after seeking clarification with CASA and Airservices Aus.
101.400  Operation of model aircraft outside approved areas  -- This one says you can operate as a model aircraft higher than 400ft
101.075  Operation near aerodromes
101.070  Operation in controlled airspace

So in the majority of the cases the advice given by the regulator is in fact incorrect.  I love that my tax dollars are being spent on telling me I can't do something that I'm allowed to do. 

I'd rather they push the don't fly in the approach paths of airports, stay below 400ft if within 5km's of an airport / helipad, stay 30m away from people (think of it as a bubble) and avoid flying over people.  That would be just as good as what they have said and been factually correct and in line with the regulations (and a lawful use of my tax dollars).  I feel there should be a law which states that government agencies can only tell you something is against the law if it actually is.....

CASA brushed my question I put to them about these inaccuracies.  They answered all of my other questions quite well and we had some back and forth to confirm my understandings.

Chris

« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 09:03:29 AM by CBRK »
Toyota Prado (96) - 90 Series & Skamper Kamper Ranger Offroad

Mitsubishi Outlander
The following users thanked this post: pank

Offline Crisp Image

• Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again!
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2051 on: December 23, 2015, 08:34:28 PM »
I saw on the news today footage of a skier and the nice multi rotor crash down to the ground smashing into a million bits just behind them.
Looked god but I feel for their loss.
Crispy

2008 Outback Sturt, 2010 Prado 150 D4D Tug

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2052 on: December 23, 2015, 10:25:20 PM »
I saw on the news today footage of a skier and the nice multi rotor crash down to the ground smashing into a million bits just behind them.
Looked god but I feel for their loss.
Crispy

Yep that wasn't some cheap consumer rig, that would definitely had some dollars attached (the camera was prop a high quality 4K job in the 10K's range).

I hope they were insured otherwise the contract better have been worth it.

Very lucky it didn't hit the skier, I bet the skier was surprised after seeing the footage as they wouldn't have seen it.

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Triple Vaxed and ready to go ANYWHERE ( please )
« Reply #2053 on: December 24, 2015, 09:57:05 AM »
It must be Christmas !!

I was just hooking up the new mini OSD board to my F450 and decided to check all the plugs going into the Naza M -

So I used an old Naza M that last time I used it the GPS wouldn't work - Bonus time it worked with the new mini-OSD ..

So I now have a Naza M to go into the Alien once I attempt a re-build ....

Just ordered some motor arm extension boards so I can run 1245 props on the F450 ...

Then ordered some 1245 threaded props --

Might have to sell one or two of my quads as I think 5 is too many ... LOL

Just love Christmas ...

Mandrake
Going back to basics - sort of ...

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2054 on: December 24, 2015, 03:15:33 PM »
It must be Christmas !!

I was just hooking up the new mini OSD board to my F450 and decided to check all the plugs going into the Naza M -

So I used an old Naza M that last time I used it the GPS wouldn't work - Bonus time it worked with the new mini-OSD ..

So I now have a Naza M to go into the Alien once I attempt a re-build ....

Just ordered some motor arm extension boards so I can run 1245 props on the F450 ...

Then ordered some 1245 threaded props --

Might have to sell one or two of my quads as I think 5 is too many ... LOL

Just love Christmas ...

Mandrake

Very nice Steve, will be good to see the alien in the air, even it is it is with a NAZA, whatever works for you best!  That's odd that the mini worked but the other one didnt, must be slightly different firmware driving it.

5 is a good number, much more and you dont get to fly them often enough.  I'm running with two Quads and 3 fixed wing.  Im building two competition planes at present so for a while I'll be at 7 flying things.  I have enough to build several more though......

You and Nadia have a Merry Christmas and we'll sort out a new date and location next year for a flying funanza.  Marschy has been in contact via other means so I hope he'll make the next one.

I'll upload my video from the last trip using my slightly faster than snail pace ADSL connection over the holidays.  Apparently I have to get a cable person in to fix up some stuff (Since they stuffed me around the TIO managed to get the call out charges wiped from my provider).

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2055 on: January 04, 2016, 05:06:01 PM »
Seems there are a few smart people in here, so I'm turning to the brains trust for advice.

Santa was kind enough to leave a drone under the tree for me (nothing fancy like you guy's talk about, just a basic phantom 3). My plan is to use it to compliment my DSLR trip photo's which I usually package up as a holiday movie. I'm looking for advice on what video editing software to get. The DJI app only seems to work on the phone, and only seems to do 30sec blocks? I've got the GoPro software, but that seems limited and not really suited to non-GoPro video. I've also tried unsuccessfully to use window's movie maker, and again it seems very limited.

I was about to purchase an Adobe Lightroom / Photoshop package for my stills photo editing (Canon RAW files, not the Drone stuff), but I don't know if they are OK for the drone video ?

So what are those in the know using, or what are the recommendations so I can do a reasonable edit on the home PC (windows based) ?

Cheers,
Spada.
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Zone Peregrine caravan.

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Triple Vaxed and ready to go ANYWHERE ( please )
« Reply #2056 on: January 04, 2016, 05:25:54 PM »
I use Moviemaker .. AVS Video Editor - Sony Vegas130 ( when I get really stuck ) - I have Photoshop CC but haven't tried video editing on it yet ...

Take care with the Phantom 3 - There are a few known problems - checkout PhantomPilots on Tapatalk and read some of the things that have happened

to other pilots .. Phantom 3 is WAY WAY above my limits - 3 x Phantom 1 and F450 hexacopter and an Alien if I can get it up off the deck !!!

mandrake
Going back to basics - sort of ...
The following users thanked this post: Spada

Offline Darcy7

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The plumage doesn't enter into it.....!
    • RVeeThereYet.com
« Reply #2057 on: January 05, 2016, 02:01:38 PM »
I know you specified Windows but if you do have an iOS device, check out iMovie.  It is so simple and easy to produce movies with a professional touch.  The template themes are a lot of fun.

Visit our blog at WWW.RVeeThereYet.com

Offline MattRC

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #2058 on: January 08, 2016, 04:35:00 PM »
Don't fly much anymore but was pretty heavily into Scale Aerobatics and Dynamic and Slope soaring. A few of my toys below

Offline Darcy7

• Hard Top Camper User
    • RVeeThereYet.com
« Reply #2059 on: January 15, 2016, 02:03:52 PM »
For anyone interested, did a bit of a review of my Parrot BeBob Quad.  Looking at it from the perspective of someone who is a first time quad owner and wants to get some cool aerial footage on their holidays.

http://rveethereyet.com/parrot-beebop-drob/

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2060 on: January 15, 2016, 02:22:06 PM »
For anyone interested, did a bit of a review of my Parrot BeBob Quad.  Looking at it from the perspective of someone who is a first time quad owner and wants to get some cool aerial footage on their holidays.

http://rveethereyet.com/parrot-beebop-drob/

Nice review, seems like thr bebob is the perfect match for you.

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline Darcy7

• Hard Top Camper User
    • RVeeThereYet.com
« Reply #2061 on: January 15, 2016, 02:50:17 PM »
Nice review, seems like thr bebob is the perfect match for you.

Thanks....yeah so far its done everything I've wanted it to do which isn't much really.  I'm certainly not making professional motion pictures. 

The other thing I like about it is, this may sound a bit strange, but its unintimitating.  People seem to like it when they see it rather than give you all that grief about 'pesky drones'.  One guy asked me if I could use it to take his fishing line out past the breakers...!

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2062 on: January 16, 2016, 10:06:05 AM »
Thanks....yeah so far its done everything I've wanted it to do which isn't much really.  I'm certainly not making professional motion pictures. 

The other thing I like about it is, this may sound a bit strange, but its unintimitating.  People seem to like it when they see it rather than give you all that grief about 'pesky drones'.  One guy asked me if I could use it to take his fishing line out past the breakers...!
I've been lucky but I've never had someone with a negative opinion approach me. I've had plenty of positive interactions.

Mitsubishi Outlander

scrapsD40

« Reply #2063 on: January 27, 2016, 05:15:30 PM »
This might already be somewhere in the 104 pages, but still interesting.

https://www.facebook.com/quartznews/videos/1098586363508398/

Offline ScottH

• Swag User
« Reply #2064 on: January 27, 2016, 07:22:28 PM »
Anyone in Sydney that would be able to give me a hand setting up a quadcopter in a week or two?

I have a 2nd hand build mostly from Hobbyking but am out of my depth getting all the electronics hooked up.

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2065 on: January 27, 2016, 09:45:53 PM »
Anyone in Sydney that would be able to give me a hand setting up a quadcopter in a week or two?

I have a 2nd hand build mostly from Hobbyking but am out of my depth getting all the electronics hooked up.

Hi,

Which part of Sydney you from?  Depending on how far away you are I might be able to help you out - depends on when your looking at.  What do you have?  If your not sure a pic would help to understand if you have all the bits you'll need.

Feel free to PM with details.

Regards,

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline Crisp Image

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2066 on: February 19, 2016, 05:03:09 PM »
Has anyone set up a power thing with the HK APM 2.7? I have been trying to calibrate it for current used and voltage but can't seem to get it to read anything.
I am using a watt meter to get the accurate readings under load with the props reversed so the quad does not fly away while conducting tests.
Thanks
Crispy

Sent using fat fingers on the iPad thingy

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2067 on: February 19, 2016, 05:46:06 PM »
Has anyone set up a power thing with the HK APM 2.7? I have been trying to calibrate it for current used and voltage but can't seem to get it to read anything.
I am using a watt meter to get the accurate readings under load with the props reversed so the quad does not fly away while conducting tests.
Thanks
Crispy

Sent using fat fingers on the iPad thingy

Hi,

Sure have.  I think you are saying you have issues reading the amps.

How have you got it wired up?  I use a watt meter in between the battery and the power module so I get V and I(A) values.  I think your saying your getting 0 amps, to make it easy take a happy snap of the setup and I'll see if I can see what the issue is.  Are you certain the the Amp meter is inline and is capable of reading that sort of load?

Make sure you set it to 'other' for the sensor type, this will allow you to access the fields you need to modify.

You should be able to calibrate both the voltage and amps.  I do the test with about a 15A load.  On the props invert and rotate one position around.

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline Crisp Image

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2068 on: February 20, 2016, 07:02:58 PM »
I have an inline Turnagy meter so it is capable of the current and voltage stuff. I am sure it is in the settings that I need to change things. I will have another go at setting it to "Other" when I get a chance and let you know how I go. I will also do the photo thing for reference.
Thanks
Crispy

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline banksy69

• Swag User

Offline raider

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2071 on: May 08, 2016, 08:16:39 AM »
Well I'm in the game. Wife surprised me with a Parrot drone ,which looks brand new , that she got cheap. Probably very basic compared to some of the stuff on here but it's a start.  :D
Don't live a life of going-to-do's and die with nothing done

Offline Darcy7

• Hard Top Camper User
    • RVeeThereYet.com
« Reply #2072 on: May 10, 2016, 09:52:13 AM »
Well I'm in the game. Wife surprised me with a Parrot drone ,which looks brand new , that she got cheap. Probably very basic compared to some of the stuff on here but it's a start.  :D

You'll love it.  Even the first Parrot had a decent camera on it that would suit 90% of us hacks. 

Using the ipad as a controller is dead easy but take the time to practice in a large open area with no trees around.  Just makes it easier and less stress when you first start off.

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2073 on: May 10, 2016, 09:58:16 AM »
Hi,

You have done well, my wife just says not another one.  You'll have fun with it, my prediction is you'll have so much fun it wont be your last ????.

Chris

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2074 on: May 12, 2016, 12:45:02 AM »
Fairway fare-
http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/AJ201605080016.html
but there's a wee penalty for any lowlife hackers in Leyland P76s caught on film kicking the ball out of the rough
Sharlene scores-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNPJMk2fgJU
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.