Author Topic: Going backwards?  (Read 6058 times)

Offline 1302toby

• Swag User
Going backwards?
« on: May 06, 2016, 08:27:23 PM »
I have a 2012 jayco eagle outback which is great for a family.. But recently have been thinking of going back to a tent and off-road box trailer. We have a ten year old freedom touring tent and could get a larger version for more room if needed. Pros of tent, six pegs and a centre pole and done. Cons, no indoor space, cooking areas etc..The jayco takes up a far bit of space intake carport whereas a trailer can be used for multiple purposes. We have a babyq, stove and hot water system to transfer if needed. I know the freedom tents are bulletproof and assume others like southern cross are too. Am thinking box trailer with water tank, slide out kitchen etc would be just as comfortable with more portability and more everyday use. Has anyone else done this or am I just thinking stupid?

Offline Garfish

• Mini Marlin
  • Soft Floor Camper User
  • Have fun and enjoy
Re: Going backwards?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 08:34:40 PM »
The thing I would miss going back to tent is a bed.  Especially with older knees getting up from floor is getting harder. 
Ross
No camper or 4x4 😪

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 08:37:16 PM »
Quote from: 1302toby
I have a 2012 jayco eagle outback which is great for a family.. But recently have been thinking of going back to a tent and off-road box trailer. We have a ten year old freedom touring tent and could get a larger version for more room if needed. Pros of tent, six pegs and a centre pole and done. Cons, no indoor space, cooking areas etc..The jayco takes up a far bit of space intake carport whereas a trailer can be used for multiple purposes. We have a babyq, stove and hot water system to transfer if needed. I know the freedom tents are bulletproof and assume others like southern cross are too. Am thinking box trailer with water tank, slide out kitchen etc would be just as comfortable with more portability and more everyday use. Has anyone else done this or am I just thinking stupid?
Plenty of people doing this... lot of money sittin in the driveway there... not so with a box trailer.. and if you already have all the tent etc, then go for it.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Skinnee

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 09:33:22 PM »
Unless you spend big you are only camping under canvas anyway. Have owned a soft floor , ultimate camper. Given we only get out a few times a year due to our job commitments it's hard to justify $$ in the driveway.

We are back to tents  and are looking at Drifta DOT base trailer for dual purpose use. Looked at some cheaper Offroad trailers here in SA but didn't like the quality and options they come with.

Offline 1302toby

• Swag User
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2016, 09:54:59 PM »
Yep, lots of dollars in the driveway doing nothing.. And jaycos seem to sell pretty well and quickly too. Might be time to give it a clean up and get rid of it.

Offline Greeny

• Swag User
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 10:04:44 PM »
If you're looking for dual purpose use, sell the van and buy a soft floor that you can remove the tent from and effectively be left with a box trailer.

That's what I do with mine, although it takes 4 guys to lift the tent off it's worth it. I've also just learnt that CT's are designed for the extra weight and don't like being towed empty, so be weary of that.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B6 using Tapatalk

Offline Marcus73

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2016, 10:09:12 PM »
I've only been thinking of this myself of late. I currently have the camper plus another trailer and the majority of my trips are overnighters or at best 2 nights. Seriously considering selling both, buying an offroad trailer, fitting a water tank, front box for some electrics and either a rooftop tent or go back to swags as the camper only really gets slept in and used carry gear. One trailer, one rego, dual purpose = $'s in my pocket.

Sent from your iPad using Mental telepathy

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2016, 10:52:28 PM »
Go back to handling everything 4 times??? Not for me......
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline jayjay

• Tent User
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2016, 11:23:41 PM »
The rationale all sounds good..... until you remember why you bought the campertrailer in the first place.......
I have to say- I really do like my bed in the CT- and being up off the cold hard ground has lots going for it!!
Mitsubishi Challenger
Rearfold Safari Trackabout

Offline Skinnee

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2016, 06:28:43 AM »
Go back to handling everything 4 times??? Not for me......

I would agree with you if it's just tents, but tents and a box trailer with a Drifta camp kitchen wouldn't be much different for a family. Hard floor and box trailer need to be loaded with food and clothes, only real difference is the tent/ bedding is already there.

Takes us 30mins to fully setup our Oztent and beds, (flys, awning , side panels). You wouldn't get much change out of a hard floor in that time with a full set up.

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2016, 07:14:44 AM »
Set up time for a Hard floor , roll out , place chair , grasp can  :cup:       :cheers:
As 2nd can is being replaced your still watching a tent go up & on we go
                       What ever floats your boat                    :cheers:
& the leckie blanket running off the inverter
   & the LED lights at the flick of a switch
      & it follows me where ever we go                              :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline GeoffA

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2016, 07:18:25 AM »
I would agree with you if it's just tents, but tents and a box trailer with a Drifta camp kitchen wouldn't be much different for a family. Hard floor and box trailer need to be loaded with food and clothes, only real difference is the tent/ bedding is already there.

Takes us 30mins to fully setup our Oztent and beds, (flys, awning , side panels). You wouldn't get much change out of a hard floor in that time with a full set up.

....perhaps, but who does a full setup? I know we don't. Minimal setup for us always....

Having a dual purpose box trailer is the problem (and I still have mine). If it's kept empty for other uses, it needs to be loaded before you can go camping. Then it needs to be unloaded when you get to the camp site, reloaded to come home, and unloaded again when you get home. Way too much handling for me.

I understand that some space and dollars could be saved by going down that path, but the time and effort to do it all would grow old very quickly for me (and it did).
It's where most of us started, and the reason we got dedicated campers. There is no perfect solution.....

:cheers:

Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2016, 07:22:35 AM »
I wouldn't say it is going backwards, you're just evolving your camping setup.

We have 4 modes of camping:
1 - Swag, for overnight trips on my own
2 - Oztent, for overnight/weekend trips with my son
3 - Camper, for family trips
4 - Cabin, for family trips

Bottom line is, whatever mode/equipment you choose it needs to be efficient to pack and setup, and suitable for the job.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 07:28:48 AM by D4D »
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2016, 07:28:19 AM »
lts bad enough having to hook up & chuck in the food , cloths &  :cheers: .Having to pack everything each time leaves you open to forgetting something , & you know whom would get the blame  :'( :'(                    :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline GeoffA

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2016, 07:30:00 AM »
The rationale all sounds good..... until you remember why you bought the campertrailer in the first place.......
I have to say- I really do like my bed in the CT- and being up off the cold hard ground has lots going for it!!

Agree with that ^.

Not interested in sleeping on the ground any more.....

:cheers:
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2016, 07:56:45 AM »

Bottom line is, whatever mode/equipment you choose it needs to be efficient to pack and setup, and suitable for the job.
X2 on this...have seen some pretty ordinary tent and camper trailer set ups over the years that people use, ones that take up way to much time to set up and pull down when you should be sitting back relaxing instead.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline feisty

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2016, 08:57:47 AM »
Would be hard to go backwards I reckon..... how many nights do you use the camper in a year? If not many then probably worth selling it but if you use it I a lot I'd keep it.
Just come back from camping with work mates. One has an old track camper. Not sure what year but the sticker has a 7 digit phone number on it. He picked it up for 5 grand and it is brilliant.  Yeah it's old and the canvas isn't as clean as it once was but a great bit of kit considering. Might be worth downsizing to something like that.
Feisty
Sahara 100TD & Pioneer Argyle

Offline paulo

• Tent User
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2016, 10:05:05 AM »
What about when it rains and is cold and miserable.

And then if you get rid of it, and decide you want it back, more $$$, and you have to find one to suit.

To answer your question, I think you're thinking stupid. ;D

Offline chillipepperz

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2016, 10:46:16 AM »
How about hiring a camper for those times you want the comfort and convenience?

Cheers!
Andrew
Alumina Hardtop Camper Build: http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=22809.0

Offline Alan Loy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2016, 11:23:49 AM »
Would be hard to go backwards I reckon..... how many nights do you use the camper in a year? If not many then probably worth selling it but if you use it I a lot I'd keep it.
Just come back from camping with work mates. One has an old track camper. Not sure what year but the sticker has a 7 digit phone number on it. He picked it up for 5 grand and it is brilliant.  Yeah it's old and the canvas isn't as clean as it once was but a great bit of kit considering. Might be worth downsizing to something like that.

We just moved from tent to an Outback Canning that we picked up for $6500.  Much quicker, more comfortable and it doesn't owe us much.  :cup:

It parks in the same space as a normal trailer

Offline doc evil

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2016, 12:45:23 PM »
Box trailer,  bolt/slide frame with a rooftop tent........
Frame could slide on or jerry rig a way to hoist off.
best of both worlds. Off the ground and comfy bed.
2005 4.2TD ST Patrol 4 door ute, lifted, locked, ARB barred and Warn winched, 33" Cooper ST Maxx.....and a denco turbo upgrade! mmmm power.....