Author Topic: A thread about America, Australia, ARB and many other points  (Read 28180 times)

Offline Garfish

• Mini Marlin
  • Soft Floor Camper User
  • Have fun and enjoy
Re: A thread about America, Australia, ARB and many other points
« Reply #100 on: March 03, 2015, 01:39:16 PM »
Ouch, 2 weeks annual leave ??? . I just negotiated with my employer for 6 weeks per year. I couldn't survive on two.

Where I worked previously. The RDO's and 5 weeks annual leave were taken in blocks of 5 weeks every 8 month for the manufacturing staff, , for each 6 roles we needed a seventh person to cover the leave.

Ross
No camper or 4x4 😪

Offline hainess

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #101 on: March 03, 2015, 05:10:13 PM »
I have been self employed for the last 30 years.
Longest time off in 1 stretch is 10 days.
2004 family holiday.
2011 cataract surgery.
2014 family holiday.
But i do enjoy long weekends when I can organise them.
The bottom line is, I don't work, I don't get paid. End of story.
No 4 weeks paid,plus bonus,Holiday.
No paid public holidays.
No paid sick leave.
No employer paid super.
No paid long service.

Thats why I charge $90 an hour. ;D

Rod

Offline HuskyInAuz

• Swag User
« Reply #102 on: March 03, 2015, 08:21:04 PM »
Ouch, 2 weeks annual leave ??? . I just negotiated with my employer for 6 weeks per year. I couldn't survive on two.

Seriously... too much TV and just plain media hysteria, there is a lot of variation.   US Goverment workers have three stages of vacation accumulation plus holidays.  Get to leave group 3, in 6 years and you end up taking 3-5 weeks a year off.

Private companies vary but in general most competitive IT after 3 years your getting at least 3 weeks plus holidays, many 'shutdown' over the Christmas and New Years holidays which is not included in leave (holiday).  After 10 years I had a 3 month sabbatical (aka long service) and I sat at the same table as the CEO. 

And .. I'm actually off to the old country for 8 weeks if you want a on-the-ground perspective from Oregon. ;)

Be safe all!

"Pressure makes diamonds" -- George S. Patton

2004 Nissan Patrol 4.2TD way too many mods, wish I had it here.. Dodge does okay though

2007 Dodge RAM 3500 Laramie DRW (6.7LCummins  / 6sp Allison)

Offline dales133

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #103 on: March 04, 2015, 05:45:13 AM »
I have been self employed for the last 30 years.
Longest time off in 1 stretch is 10 days.
2004 family holiday.
2011 cataract surgery.
2014 family holiday.
But i do enjoy long weekends when I can organise them.
The bottom line is, I don't work, I don't get paid. End of story.
No 4 weeks paid,plus bonus,Holiday.
No paid public holidays.
No paid sick leave.
No employer paid super.
No paid long service.

Thats why I charge $90 an hour. ;D

Rod
X2

Offline Bill

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #104 on: March 04, 2015, 06:10:51 AM »
Seriously... too much TV and just plain media hysteria, there is a lot of variation.   US Goverment workers have three stages of vacation accumulation plus holidays.  Get to leave group 3, in 6 years and you end up taking 3-5 weeks a year off.

Private companies vary but in general most competitive IT after 3 years your getting at least 3 weeks plus holidays, many 'shutdown' over the Christmas and New Years holidays which is not included in leave (holiday).  After 10 years I had a 3 month sabbatical (aka long service) and I sat at the same table as the CEO. 

And .. I'm actually off to the old country for 8 weeks if you want a on-the-ground perspective from Oregon. ;)

Be safe all!
All the above is true for the small minority, but your average worker (90% of the workforce) only get 2 weeks per year.
Excluding when I was in the Military I only ever got 2 weeks off in the 20 years I worked before moving here.
You could have knocked me over with a feather when I saw all the holidays I was entitled to and my pay rate when I got my first job here. And it was just a crap job at Target.
Bill
"The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
-unknown