Author Topic: A thread about America, Australia, ARB and many other points  (Read 28179 times)

Offline 99disco

• Soft Floor Camper User
A thread about America, Australia, ARB and many other points
« on: February 14, 2015, 12:17:36 PM »
Umm.....ever tried to set up a business in Australia???

I see where your coming from mate. You can buy Arb air lockers (made in Australia) from the U.S. Cheaper than you can buy them local. How ridiculous.

Shane
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 06:37:36 PM by GGV8Cruza »

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Quote from: 99disco
You can buy Arb air lockers (made in Australia) from the U.S. Cheaper than you can buy them local. How ridiculous.
Shane
exactly.. This throws all others arguments out the window.

I think it was funny when ARB man tried to explain that on the forum here..
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline cucinadio

• Soft Floor Camper User
exactly.. This throws all others arguments out the window.

I think it was funny when ARB man tried to explain that on the forum here..

And how did the ARB explain the reasoning Bird?
My 130 HCPU camper build - (now sold) http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=6733.msg240757#msg240757

Offline feisty

• Hard Floor Camper User
Bugger. I was about to buy some air lockers although the exchange rate has probably killed any saving I might make.
Feisty
Sahara 100TD & Pioneer Argyle

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
Money is made round to go around . lf you don't have it bitch about the price , & l really don't need it  ./ lf l do buy it , its the best " bit O Kit " going . Got it for a song what ever price you paid for it .
 Get it , use it , enjoy it , brag about it , put the stickers on the rig to say you got it . lts only got to help you once to give you bragging rights , so why don't you have it  ??? ???
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust
The following users thanked this post: cucinadio

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
Quote from: cucinadio
And how did the ARB explain the reasoning Bird?

USA shops use them as a loss leader.. sell them at a loss to get customers in the door...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
Something about Exports from a local company trying to break the local market , subsidies from the Tax Office Etc . Get the whole pic then ring the bell  ??? ??? >:D                :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Homer_Jay

• Soft Floor Camper User
USA shops use them as a loss leader.. sell them at a loss to get customers in the door...

Now that's a piss take!
I guess he couldn't be honest and just tell us they rip us Aussies off. PR department probably wouldn't have approved.

Landcruiser 76 wagon V8 T/D

Supreme Getaway pop top 12 ft

Offline ozbogwam

• Soft Floor Camper User

bingo

Exactly how they do it plus they can sell more units at a smaller profit margin due to the much much bigger market place in the US

Offline cucinadio

• Soft Floor Camper User
bingo

Exactly how they do it plus they can sell more units at a smaller profit margin due to the much much bigger market place in the US

You hit the nail on the head mate.. "profit margin"  ;)  as even my 11 year old can tell you ..
"Dad, why don't people just sell everything for a dollar?...they would sell heaps more if everything was only a dollar!"  .. lol..
You see whilst simplistic..it's even the understanding of avarice is child play!.... [Not that i wouldn't buy ARB product, just i would do my research as to value for money in a deceptive market ;)]
My 130 HCPU camper build - (now sold) http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=6733.msg240757#msg240757

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
Quote from: Homer_Jay
Now that's a piss take!
I guess he couldn't be honest and just tell us they rip us Aussies off. PR department probably wouldn't have approved.
Yep, but some people will believe shops sell things mail order to overseas to get you in the door 12,000klms away
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

KingBilly

Ambivalent

KB

The following users thanked this post: Bird

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Wrex

• Swag User
A coffee in my old coffee shop cost $5.80 for a large T/A. The reason here in Australia particularly over here in the West was my 28sqm shop with 10sqm store room in a major shopping center cost us $108,000 a year rent. My 15yo kids working Thurs nights and Saturdays were on more money per hourly rate than my 50yo ladies working 9-5 during the week.

The same Franchise is in the US and rents in major shopping complexes are up to 80% less. Wages again 40% less. Insurance, power, water etc etc. My coffee shop in the US, that same cup of coffee would be around the $3 mark.

I giggle at some of the comments above.

Offline cucinadio

• Soft Floor Camper User
A coffee in my old coffee shop cost $5.80 for a large T/A. The reason here in Australia particularly over here in the West was my 28sqm shop with 10sqm store room in a major shopping center cost us $108,000 a year rent. My 15yo kids working Thurs nights and Saturdays were on more money per hourly rate than my 50yo ladies working 9-5 during the week.

The same Franchise is in the US and rents in major shopping complexes are up to 80% less. Wages again 40% less. Insurance, power, water etc etc. My coffee shop in the US, that same cup of coffee would be around the $3 mark.

So what do you think the solution is?... Are you still in coffee?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 02:28:15 PM by cucinadio »

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User

Plus a ten times bigger market.

Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
So what do you think the solution is?... Are you still in coffee?

Ha ha ha are you ready for US style  GFC housing crisis with workchoices x100 being introduced???

No,  most Australians aren't so keep lubing up when buying things.

Jim

Offline cucinadio

• Soft Floor Camper User

Ha ha ha are you ready for US style  GFC housing crisis with workchoices x100 being introduced???

No,  most Australians aren't so keep lubing up when buying things.

I don't know if you being sarcastic or proffering a comment ....I'm certainly not looking at a x100 Work-choices situation. but certainly know the Australian people don't accept the argument that wages are the issue?

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
but certainly know the Australian people don't accept the argument that wages are the issue?

You haven't travelled to the US have you?
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
.I'm certainly not looking at a x100 Work-choices situation. but certainly know the Australian people don't accept the argument that wages are the issue?

And hence this thread will continue on.

You can simply not compare selling things in AU compared to other markets in the world. Regardless of where they are made. The sales channels, the size of markets, the costs of getting those goods, the wages, the conditions, etc etc etc. and I am not saying some companies aren't profiteering either.

But the average Australian has nooooo idea how well they have it employment and living standard wise.

Jim
The following users thanked this post: slcs78

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User

But the average Australian has nooooo idea how well they have it employment and living standard wise.

Dam right there mate
Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/

Offline Barry G

• Hard Top Camper User
  • For my 'Pop' l.Cpl Tom Powell, A Comp.21Batt.6Brig

I totally agree with you that major shopping complexes are little more than extortion rackets robbing shop operators blind.  I have lost count of how many long running shops have been forced out of 'Bay City' in Central Geelong, only to be replaced by yet another seller of $2 junk. But we are told 'that is how the free market works'.
I am happy to pay to cover penalty rates, would even be happy to pay $10% more in cafés and restaurants at weekends for the privilege of having others serve me when I am out with friends at what remain the most common times for people to be off work and enjoying the company of friends.
2000 Jackaroo Monterey 2002 Jackaroo 'Equipe' & Heaslip soft floor rear fold camper.
05 Subaru Outback Weekender GOGO Camper
 i hope for a better world for my kids, and yours, not just a bigger slice of the current one!

Offline cucinadio

• Soft Floor Camper User
And hence this thread will continue on.

You can simply not compare selling things in AU compared to other markets in the world. Regardless of where they are made. The sales channels, the size of markets, the costs of getting those goods, the wages, the conditions, etc etc etc. and I am not saying some companies aren't profiteering either.

I'm sure Australian "DO" know how good they have it .. and they have fought long and hard for it too. so there not about to let it go back wards just to appease more profit at there expense.

That aside, you can compare markets, it's profit driven regardless where it's produced and sold. Try telling that to Woolworths when buying milk for 30cent a litter ;)

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
That aside, you can compare markets, it's profit driven regardless where it's produced and sold.

You actually can't compare the markets and you left out one critical factor, volume. It all gets down to supply and demand.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline cucinadio

• Soft Floor Camper User
You actually can't compare the markets and you left out one critical factor, volume. It all gets down to supply and demand.

Yes, you're right mate. I forgot the "volume" excuse for hiking up the price .. sorry  :cheers:

Oh.. and profit margin is determined by your particular business model.. take for instance the current business model of www.4wdsupacentre.com.au .. they have chosen to use a business model that drastically undercuts certain players in the market .. even tho some of these competitors are selling the same product at the expense of Australian manufactures [albeit some Australian made product].
Take for example the fact you can order Supercheap snatch straps from china for .70cents a piece tailgate .. and then sell them for $70 a piece in Australia .. you see business models are integral to profit margins and they all have a choice to make as to where and when they are taking the piss ;)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 04:35:14 PM by cucinadio »