Author Topic: Bathroom Tiling Pros and Cons  (Read 2197 times)

Offline Rodt

• Hard Floor Camper User
Bathroom Tiling Pros and Cons
« on: May 06, 2023, 09:23:35 AM »
Not a camping question obviously but due to the range of experiences in the group am interested in thoughts in regards to a bathroom reno question.

We have basically gutted an older house and have re-framed (old hardwood was bowed everywhere) and are currently awaiting to get re-sheeted. Our thoughts are now moving towards the bathroom. Have been investigating tiles and have come up with a dilemma that we don't know what to do.

We have had our daughter and others suggest that we should tile completely from floor to ceiling throughout the whole space. Our colour scheme is pretty minimalist as in grey with patterns floor tiles (600 x 600) with gloss white wall tiles (300 x 600) to all work in with gloss white bath, vanity and toilet with black tapware and fixtures. We then reckon we can inject colour with accessories. We are also having niches in the showere and above the bath and were thinking about tiling these with the floor tiles just to provide some contrast. I have a concern that full wall tiling will look to clinical and remind me too much of a hospital or other industrial type settings.

Those of you that have experience in this I would love your thoughts in regards to yes or no, pros and cons?

Thanks

Rod   

Online Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life's to short to drive a boring vehicle.
Re: Bathroom Tiling Pros and Cons
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2023, 10:50:52 AM »
We are investigating a bathroom remodel too.

personally i think the all white approach for the entire walls combined with white fittings will be a bit much. More contrast needed.  We will most likely go with darker floor and wall tiles of the same colour with white ceilings and furnishings.

https://www.google.com/search?q=floor+to+ceiling+bathroom+tiles&rlz=1C1GCEB_enAU921AU921&sxsrf=APwXEdf8MSQ3HecNjVCWmMYQ3btonV1MIQ:1683333750405&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiKxuzxut_-AhXt-jgGHU4QBM4Q_AUoAXoECAEQAw&biw=1920&bih=1057&dpr=1#imgrc=1vbNSOl3gU5yhM

:cheers:
2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2009 Coromal 452
2002 Commodore SS (The Toy)

Offline JimS

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2023, 11:25:32 AM »
We have one bathroom completely tiled floor to ceiling, and our second bathroom is tiled to halfway mostly, and a bit above the shower recess.
In my opinion the fully tiled room looks better, and doesn't need re-painting.

Cheers
Jim
Jim
2015 D-Max
2002 Ultimate camper

Offline austastar

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2023, 12:46:41 PM »
Hi, we have the same walls as the rest of the house, but with a vynl floor. The shower recess is a one piece fibreglass unit that can double as a small bath. No glass, just a shower curtain.
So much easier to clean.
Downstairs (kids area) is shower over bath, with tiled walls around 3 sides of the bath.
Not so easy to clean and needs extra effort maintaining the grout. The cork tiles here are much warmer on the feet than the vynl upstairs.
If I built again, fiberglass shower enclosure, cork floor tiles, basin taps on the wall - not the bench top, floor draining to centre outlet, go for a quality ball bearing extractor fan on a delay switch - so much quieter, all taps solid  brass without fancy plastic chromed bits and needing special tools to service and stupidly priced ceramic cartridge inserts, give me standard hydroseal tap washers throughout.
Wall mounted radiant heater with smart switching.
NO fan-tastic heater lights.
Separate bathroom for the kids? Go for a separate hot water cylinder, they will guard their share zealously, and it is a bit of redundancy if yours fails. It can be turned off when they leave home.
Cheers

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2023, 03:07:21 PM »
Most places we build today are fully tiled. Easier to clean and maintain, the junction between tile and paint can look good, or really bad if done wrong. Tile trims can be fiddly if you have a lot of corners and openings. Depending on your final finish , tile setout with fixtures, taps and the like can be done with great detail if needed for alignment or if not so worried, bang them where you want. Some of the places we do take a lot to get right.

GG

Offline Rodt

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2023, 05:13:12 PM »
We are investigating a bathroom remodel too.

personally i think the all white approach for the entire walls combined with white fittings will be a bit much. More contrast needed.  We will most likely go with darker floor and wall tiles of the same colour with white ceilings and furnishings.

Thanks mate. Black fittings not white and grey floor tiles

Offline Rodt

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2023, 05:16:13 PM »
Most places we build today are fully tiled. Easier to clean and maintain, the junction between tile and paint can look good, or really bad if done wrong. Tile trims can be fiddly if you have a lot of corners and openings. Depending on your final finish , tile setout with fixtures, taps and the like can be done with great detail if needed for alignment or if not so worried, bang them where you want. Some of the places we do take a lot to get right.

GG

Thanks mate. Have read that if a new house then go full floor to ceiling but in an older house maybe not. Not sure why and maybe doesn't apply to our situation anyway as we have completely gutted the internals and are installing gyprock throughout

Too much information out there which is half the problem i think

Offline Rodt

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2023, 05:18:20 PM »
We have one bathroom completely tiled floor to ceiling, and our second bathroom is tiled to halfway mostly, and a bit above the shower recess.
In my opinion the fully tiled room looks better, and doesn't need re-painting.

Cheers
Jim

Thanks Jim. Are the tiles in the completely tiled bathroom a feature colour or just plain white? Am worried that gloss white will look a bit clinical and stark

Offline JimS

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2023, 07:28:06 PM »
Our floor to ceiling tiles are plain light pink !!?? Look OK. Think plain white would look a bit ordinary. Any patterning might become a bit overpowering, unless it's just some edging lines or very mild mottling.
Actually I'm pretty clueless at decor so probably best to ignore me !!!!

Cheers
Jim
Jim
2015 D-Max
2002 Ultimate camper

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2023, 08:00:18 PM »
Rodt, it really is a personal preference but I do like the mix of tile and colour of a painted wall.
Here is our bathroom that has a combo of full height and half height.

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2023, 08:03:02 PM »
And our granny flat

Offline lloydus67

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2023, 09:46:57 PM »
Floor to ceiling white everything will look very stark

However what you suggest, grey floor tiles, black finishes will really look good with glossy white tiles on the walls.

As for half or to the ceiling, half height looks dated in my opinion, floor to ceiling is what you would expect in a modern home or a better quality hotel.
Btw I just picked random photos to show the colour palette, obviously not the exact setup that you described.
Lloyd

Sent from me

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2023, 10:33:01 PM »
You could use a frieze tile strip to tie in the contrasting fittings colour with the main wall colour.
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan.

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2023, 11:07:27 PM »
We recently did our ensuite (currently doing the 2nd bathroom) with mid grey floor tiles and floor to ceiling white tiles. Have a niche for the bath and shower which we were going to do a feature tile but decided to keep it white. Our vanity and mirror cabinet are some sort of oak laminate with glass shower screen. We were worried about too much white it turned out great, missus mixes up the accessories as per her mood.
2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2023, 11:22:38 AM »
Here's what i meant about having a frieze.. The horizontal strip around the walls.
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan.

Offline Rodt

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2023, 10:46:21 AM »
Thanks all for the comments.  :cup:

JimS - PML over your comments as I reckon I resemble those remarks
Troopy - thanks for explaining and showing what you meant (I was going to have to Google otherwise)
Thanks also Rags and Lloyd for the comments and pics. They helped me a lot as I am a visual person and find it hard to imagine concepts sometimes

Lots to consider as it will be our retirement and hopefully forever home and don't want to look at it with regrets over a long time (hopefully)