Author Topic: Please help us recruit new Myswag.org Members!!!  (Read 6180 times)

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Please help us recruit new Myswag.org Members!!!
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2022, 09:07:59 AM »
Or I know of a backyard that has an awesome looking firepit & pizza oven ... ;D

All going well, the fire pit will undergo a bit of a reno this week-end with the help of a generous myswag member  8).
A Myswag pizza night may not be out of the question in the near future  ;)
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Zone Peregrine caravan.
The following users thanked this post: Fizzie

Offline 2Strokeit

• Tent User
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2022, 09:25:02 AM »
All going well, the fire pit will undergo a bit of a reno this week-end with the help of a generous myswag member  8).
I have an rustic flu and chimney idea rattling around in my head if your interested. Think Yahoo serious in Young Einstein. A flu that funnels the initial smoke up then when the fires hot enough collapses downward to reflect heat to those sitting around it.

I'm in the same suburb.

The following users thanked this post: Spada

Online GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2022, 11:34:09 AM »

:cup: :cup:

Road trip??  ;D
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2022, 12:05:24 PM »
Quote from: GeoffA
:cup: :cup:
Road trip??  ;D
airfares... ;)
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2022, 12:59:53 PM »
I have an rustic flu and chimney idea rattling around in my head if your interested. Think Yahoo serious in Young Einstein. A flu that funnels the initial smoke up then when the fires hot enough collapses downward to reflect heat to those sitting around it.

I'm in the same suburb.
Sounds intriguing, but the reno is about adding a cooking grill plate. I dont usually have any problem with fires not being hot enough  >:D
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Zone Peregrine caravan.

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2022, 05:08:02 PM »
Maybe some more concentrated sponsorship opportunities to bring in the new members…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Jillsy

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2022, 04:10:54 AM »
As a member that has arranged many trips in the group, forums have gone backward in a sense. Social media has the benefits for a number of reasons.

You can join groups related to brand or model of your car , camper, caravan etc.

Pictures can upload quicker no matter  the size of them.

Replies are simple and quick.

Social media groups have bigger audiences.

You don't have to scroll through endless topics to find things. Yes there is a search function and you can set up notifications but really you need to be on  tapatalk to get any quick notifications.

Personally I still hop on now and then but it's now out dated in sense and thats not going against foums as I have met some great friends from here. I also don't see anything that interests me anymore from the group sadly.

Mark

Thanks for your feedback Mark  :cheers:

Have to agree with McGirr, the days of interesting trip reports are very few and far between, most things I see are unfortunately not related to the Forums title.

Forums are a two way street:

*Make sure that you are giving as well as taking ie don't just log on and read but also make sure you contribute. If you go on a trip...do a trip report. A trip report doesn't have to be fancy - it can be as simple as a quick summary of where you went, what you saw and a couple of piccies.  I'm looking forward to doing a Trip Report regarding our trip to the National Meet - ours will be more like a blog though as we will be doing ours as we go (otherwise I will have to write up 8 weeks in one go  :o ). I personally like to add a few extra things into a Trip Report/Blog so that it becomes more informative to others who might be planning a trip - I like to note down the price we paid for fuel, the pro's and con's of the the places we stayed, the fees (if applicable) for places we stayed, any issues we encountered and how we overcame them (in case this might help someone else), what the temperatures were or what the road conditions were like of non sealed roads (so other people can be prepared if they do the same trip at a similar time) etc.

**Start a topic that is related to the Forum title. 

***If you know the answer to someone's question...reply with an answer instead of waiting for someone else to do it. 

I’m going on a 10 day trip out to western Queensland in September, and don’t really see the need to compile trip reports… can’t see how it would be interesting to more than a couple of people at most. Why wouldn't it be interesting? Someone could be planning a trip to a similar area and trying to get first hand knowledge about certain things.  Just because people don't comment on a Trip Report, doesn't mean they don't a) read them or b) use information gleaned from them. Take note of a topics views rather than replies...

Also, a lot of us have never met others on this forum and sometimes it can feel like an outsider looking in, with little groups within groups. Organise a catch up locally and meet other Swaggers face to face.  We plan on doing more of this once we get back from Tassie.  We haven't done any in the past 12+ months as we haven't had a CT or van (still haven't got our new one and we leave on the 05/09 for the National Meet  :o . I for one have really missed a) getting away and b) meeting up with old friends and meeting new ones.  Please don't be scared to put your hand up to organise one.  Although some Myswaggers have, in the past, organised gatherings that would rival any Guided Tour you would pay thousands for (and done a ripper of a job I might add), your Meet doesn't have to be a complex, complicated or highly organised affair.  It's as simple as you choosing a destination/venue that you know and love (or one that you would really love to visit) and creating a thread in the Trips Section saying "I am going camping at ***insert venue name, location and date here***.  Anyone care to join me?"
The following users thanked this post: paceman, Fizzie

Offline Jillsy

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2022, 04:18:04 AM »
I have stated this before , the worst thing that has happened to Myswag is the Bookface site , people on Myswag are known by their user name , unlike bookface where you bookface profile is who you are . Just my 2 bobs worth .

Hey duggie,

Thanks for your feedback however I don't think the Myswag FB page is super active.  I for one make sure that if I post something on the FB page, I also post it on the Forum - I do that more so to ensure that EVERYONE gets to see it ie there are some people on the Forum who aren't on the FB page and vice-versa.

Forums in general are much, much better for people looking to get good, accurate or detailed information that may have been written many years ago, but is still correct and relevant. I agree...

Facebook is good for killing time, photos and quick answers (of questionable accuracy). <--- THIS!

I signed up here when I was researching specific technical details for an upcoming trailer build I was planning. I read so many build threads, some that were up to 10 years old (or more). I read some threads many times and studied 100s of photos intently.
I didn’t need to ask many questions or comment on other peoples work while researching, I just took everything I needed from the threads that I liked.

To steal a phrase from annoying people at work, this is the forum’s “unique selling point”.
You can’t do that stuff on Facebook. Very true...

Over the years I took heaps of knowledge from this forum, not just for my build, but also camp oven cooking recipes and good spots to camp that I had never heard of before or had driven past and had no idea I missed them.

The biggest thing about forums is members contributing couldn't agree more, so I tried to give back to this knowledge base as much as I could and documented as much of my build as possible.
I also tried to write as many trip reports as I could whenever we did something interesting or different.

Skip forward a bit and we were all in lock-down or severely restricted in where we could go & what we could do, and the general chit-chat lost some relevance as we all progressively went stir crazy. Agree...

With the cycle of life looping back around and members now starting to get back out & about, I suspect normal viewing will resume shortly. This forum has been a great source of info for a lot of people, but I see a few members from past that used to contribute quite a bit have gone real quiet. The user stats show that they are still logging in and reading quite regularly, but they're just not posting like they used to. I suspect thats because we've gone off-topic a bit (thanks to covid). Agree...

Winter will be over in a month or two, so maybe it's time to start thinking about having a few meet & greet weekends in some local campgrounds? That can be as simple as posting a campground that your going to and inviting people to come along and say hi. I have to say that I've met some great people through a few of the Brisbane area Myswag days/weekends that have been done in the past, which then created a personal link to the forum discussions and helps drive the conversation. Ha ha...I literally just finishing saying the same thing in a previous reply  ;D

There is nobody on here that doesn't like camping, and I suspect many of us may have first heard about Myswag in a campground? so lets just get back out and around a campfire so we can chat face to face again  ;) Yes!!!
The following users thanked this post: paceman, Fizzie

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2022, 07:09:49 AM »
Hi Jillsy... appreciate you taking the time to respond to feedback, even if the feedback isn't all positive...

a couple of followups:

Why wouldn't it be interesting? Someone could be planning a trip to a similar area and trying to get first hand knowledge about certain things.  Just because people don't comment on a Trip Report, doesn't mean they don't a) read them or b) use information gleaned from them. Take note of a topics views rather than replies...

perhaps it would be a boost to people who post trip reports, if they actually DO get some feedback on their report?  even if it is just a 'thanks for posting' or something of that nature?

Organise a catch up locally and meet other Swaggers face to face.  We plan on doing more of this once we get back from Tassie.  We haven't done any in the past 12+ months as we haven't had a CT or van (still haven't got our new one and we leave on the 05/09 for the National Meet  :o . I for one have really missed a) getting away and b) meeting up with old friends and meeting new ones.  Please don't be scared to put your hand up to organise one.  Although some Myswaggers have, in the past, organised gatherings that would rival any Guided Tour you would pay thousands for (and done a ripper of a job I might add), your Meet doesn't have to be a complex, complicated or highly organised affair.  It's as simple as you choosing a destination/venue that you know and love (or one that you would really love to visit) and creating a thread in the Trips Section saying "I am going camping at ***insert venue name, location and date here***.  Anyone care to join me?"

hugely dependant on where you are.  not everyone lives in places that have multiple members and is able to travel long distances for camping.

imagine posting that you will be somewhere and no-one responds.  not a great feeling.

just my 2c...

i will endeavour to produce a trip report from our upcoming trip in september...

Online Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2022, 07:22:16 AM »

perhaps it would be a boost to people who post trip reports, if they actually DO get some feedback on their report?  even if it is just a 'thanks for posting' or something of that nature?

Certainly, & while my current trip report (which is taking as long & slow to write as the trip was!) has only had a couple of actual comments made (Thanks! ;D), it's been viewed 351 times, so I guess somebody is interested ???

imagine posting that you will be somewhere and no-one responds.  not a great feeling.

Been there, done that, & we still had a good time by ourselves ;D

i will endeavour to produce a trip report from our upcoming trip in september...

Have fun!
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday
The following users thanked this post: Jillsy, paceman

Offline Harbourmaster

• Tent User
  • Hard floor camper
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2022, 09:48:43 PM »
My view. I read 4 forums pretty much every night. 2 like this, 1 related to my make of vehicle, and another on vintage caravans ( I'm 70 so I will be looking for something easier in the future ok) I enjoy this forum the most by far. I think things went a bit south due to covid so would expect that it will pick up sooner if people will write up their trips. I leave early tomorrow morning to join some other swaggers for the Northern Simpson trip & SJ Industries has said he will write up our exploits, I'll have to keep on him. But it just takes a few to do a little bit of work as Pottsy has just done. Guess I've spent my 2 bob
2013 ex Telstra GU Patrol 2004 Kimberley Kamper
The following users thanked this post: Jillsy, Mace

Offline Jillsy

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2022, 02:11:40 AM »
Hi Jillsy... appreciate you taking the time to respond to feedback, even if the feedback isn't all positive... All feedback is appreciated - good or bad  ;D - gives a clearer picture.

a couple of followups:

Why wouldn't it be interesting? Someone could be planning a trip to a similar area and trying to get first hand knowledge about certain things.  Just because people don't comment on a Trip Report, doesn't mean they don't a) read them or b) use information gleaned from them. Take note of a topics views rather than replies...

perhaps it would be a boost to people who post trip reports, if they actually DO get some feedback on their report?  even if it is just a 'thanks for posting' or something of that nature? Possibly.  To some people they might be doing the trip report more as a diary to themselves and to look back on.  Others do it for the benefit of others for when they plan a similar trip and so may possibly be anticipating questions or similar from other Members.  I do agree that it is nice to receive feedback/comments though...

Organise a catch up locally and meet other Swaggers face to face.  We plan on doing more of this once we get back from Tassie.  We haven't done any in the past 12+ months as we haven't had a CT or van (still haven't got our new one and we leave on the 05/09 for the National Meet  :o . I for one have really missed a) getting away and b) meeting up with old friends and meeting new ones.  Please don't be scared to put your hand up to organise one.  Although some Myswaggers have, in the past, organised gatherings that would rival any Guided Tour you would pay thousands for (and done a ripper of a job I might add), your Meet doesn't have to be a complex, complicated or highly organised affair.  It's as simple as you choosing a destination/venue that you know and love (or one that you would really love to visit) and creating a thread in the Trips Section saying "I am going camping at ***insert venue name, location and date here***.  Anyone care to join me?"

hugely dependant on where you are.  not everyone lives in places that have multiple members and is able to travel long distances for camping. Whilst not everyone lives in a place that has multiple members, it is not always known how many Members are in fact in a certain area sometimes (especially since the Member map pooped itself) ie some Members are lurkers rather than posters. Never know unless you ask  ;D

imagine posting that you will be somewhere and no-one responds.  not a great feeling.  Depends.  If we had already planned to go to a place (just us and our family or us and our neighbours etc) and just thought we'd throw out an invitation for interested Myswag Members to come then I wouldn't be overly worried if no one else came.  However if I had specifically planned something for Myswag Members to come together to meet face to face and no one came then that would obviously be disappointing.  However I would imagine that if you had tried to create such an event and you had no one confirm that they were attending..you wouldn't go ahead with it.  If this were to happen, people shouldn't take it personally. Life is busy. People have other commitments etc. I guess it's one of those situations where you won't know unless you try...

just my 2c...

i will endeavour to produce a trip report from our upcoming trip in september...Please do  ;D. Keep an eye out for mine too  ;D
The following users thanked this post: paceman