Author Topic: Toilets at Teewah  (Read 3112 times)

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
Toilets at Teewah
« on: September 22, 2021, 07:51:12 PM »

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-09-22/teewah-beach-mandatory-portable-toilets-campers/100481606

Good move IMHO, has been one of the main reasons we haven't been there in a few years.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 07:53:19 PM by tryagain »

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
Re: Toilets at Teewah
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2021, 12:32:20 AM »
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-09-22/teewah-beach-mandatory-portable-toilets-campers/100481606

Good move IMHO, has been one of the main reasons we haven't been there in a few years.

They did the same at Stockton beach......

Not long before they closed it to camping altogether...
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan.

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2021, 05:33:20 AM »
Queensland Parks and Wildlife assistant director-general Andrew Buckley said the new requirement was the best answer to the issue of toileting at Teewah Beach.

Andrew Buckley is wrong.
The best answer is for QPW to stick their greedy little hands into that mountain of cash they’ve collected from the 4wd permits and actually do some improvements up there. 

Offline plusnq

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2021, 06:05:19 AM »
Andrew Buckley is wrong.
The best answer is for QPW to stick their greedy little hands into that mountain of cash they’ve collected from the 4wd permits and actually do some improvements up there.

Which improvements would you like to see?

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2021, 06:18:41 AM »
If ya banned all the rowdy pissheads that leave all their rubbish behind and do donuts on the beach and rip up the dunes would be the best thing for the area.
Its a lovely spot.... except for the above.
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2021, 07:05:54 AM »
But the people Jeeps mentions, who cause the problems, aren't going to bother about getting a portaloo, so, yet again, the people who do the right thing are inconvenienced because of those who do the wrong thing, & who don't care about the rules :'( >:(
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2021, 11:14:22 AM »
Andrew Buckley is wrong.

I think part of the issue is that those funds then get used for government specified projects, like half a million that they mention for a portable dump point. I would guess that most caravan parks etc install dump points for a small fraction of that.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2021, 11:25:29 AM »
Quote from: tryagain
I think part of the issue is that those funds then get used for government specified projects, like half a million that they mention for a portable dump point. I would guess that most caravan parks etc install dump points for a small fraction of that.

yea but the contract for the caravan park isnt given to someone in Gov Co's cousins business and is given more scrutiny than the council dudes cousin...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home
The following users thanked this post: flossy

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2021, 11:42:07 AM »
If ya banned all the rowdy pissheads that leave all their rubbish behind and do donuts on the beach and rip up the dunes would be the best thing for the area.
Its a lovely spot.... except for the above.

That's the other main reason haven't been there in a while, as much as I don't like paying the ferry fee's to Straddie etc, it seems they dislike it more.

Mid week out of school holidays at Teewah is nice, but a bit hard when you have school aged kids

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2021, 03:56:26 PM »
Which improvements would you like to see?
Anything….???

Way back in 2007 they released a Regulatory Impact Statement paper to discuss how to manage this area into the future.
Part of the paper outlined 4 possible options.

1) Do nothing. Allow people to come and go as they please for free, bring their dogs, do donuts on the beach and crap wherever they like.
Obviously this was rejected.

2) Educate the public about the importance of the area and how to use it sustainably. This option was rejected because; “The financial costs of this option would be significant and include printing and sign costs. There would be increased staff costs associated with an increased public contact effort on and off-site.”
Yeah that sounds way too hard… ::)

3) Declare a Coordinated Conservation Area under the Nature Conservation Act. The rules for conservation areas are pretty strict and this option was ruled out because; “Revenue would not be available from vehicle access permits to be spent on recreation management, including recreational facilities.
Revenue from all other permits(e.g.camping permits and commercial activity permits) would not be required to be retained and spent only for recreation management purposes”

Are we all seeing the pattern here.?
Don’t get any money = rejected
Have to spend money = rejected
Be allowed to charge access fees and camping fees, but not be allowed to keep all of this money = rejected

So now here we are…

4) Declare the area a Recreational Reserve.
This allows for uniform regulations and enforcement measures for all tenures.
Collection of fees and the allocation of funds based on need rather than tenure.
An integrated permit system and information sources for commercial operators and visitors to the area.

So this option obviously won because it’s easier to set fees and enforce regulations. There is no requirement to put the money directly back into the area, they can define the need as they please.

The official line was and still is; “The visitor’s experience will be of a higher quality due to improved facilities and better maintained access tracks and roads, funded from a permit system that channels funds back into the recreation areas.”

So to the question, what improvements would we like to see?
We’ll.. A hell of a lot more then an over priced dump point and a pair of license plate cameras set up at each end of the beach to make them more money in fines…..

Because over the last 11 or 12 years they would have collected close to $10,000,000 in revenue from 4wd permits and those 2 things are the only money they have put back into “improved facilities and better maintained access tracks”.

And the beach camping area is absolutely going to be closed soon.
The place will effectively just be another toll road with a hefty fee to go and visit the point for the day. :(

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2021, 06:39:08 PM »
Does that mean we can start using sand spears again…….

Sadly the placed is over loved these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2021, 06:43:43 PM »
We’ve been carrying a loo in the 4B for the last three years……..no issue from us and reckons it long overdue

What I see happening is either camper will

A. Dump the loin the dunes before driving home or

B have loo to satisfy Rangers, but don’t use the loo and still crap in the dunes.

Offline plusnq

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2021, 06:49:28 PM »
We’ve been carrying a loo in the 4B for the last three years……..no issue from us and reckons it long overdue

What I see happening is either camper will

A. Dump the loin the dunes before driving home or

B have loo to satisfy Rangers, but don’t use the loo and still crap in the dunes.

We have been carrying one for a while now too. I think you are right. Sadly the area has become a cesspit for too many people. I can see it eventually being closed to all except day trippers.

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2021, 07:19:16 AM »
I can see it eventually being closed to all except day trippers.

Who won't be carrying their own toilets with them, so they'll still have to use the surf & dunes! ::)
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline plusnq

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2021, 07:24:17 AM »
Who won't be carrying their own toilets with them, so they'll still have to use the surf & dunes! ::)
Agreed. But it doesn’t make me wrong 😂😂😂

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2021, 07:53:04 AM »
I can see it eventually being closed to all except day trippers.

I think the more likely scenario is bollards, assigned campsites and greatly reduced numbers, main beach Straddie had a heap of numbered bollards when we were there a few months ago and is probably a sign that it's on its way there, similar to say Bribie. It's amazing how much some bollards can ruin the natural feel of the place, but still probably preferable to somewhere overcrowded pissed ferals.