Author Topic: Preset tyre deflators  (Read 5835 times)

Offline brianvicki

• Swag User
Preset tyre deflators
« on: June 06, 2021, 11:31:35 AM »
Many years ago, I used the staun deflators, worked a treat especially for the beach.
Since I have used the new type where the valve is partially removed which speeds the process up, but the last time I experienced a problem with the valve leaking a bit after... it actually jammed the valve in too far and had to be fully replaced... yes my fault.. but...

I’m looking for a preset, to drop the tyres down, when towing the van on corrugated gravel roads, what is better products on the market now that you have experienced

Offline boobook

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Preset tyre deflators
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2021, 11:40:27 AM »
These are the ducks nuts. Preset for inflating or deflating.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWxwnuh_XTE

Instructions.

1)Set pressure - up or down - or use one of the two configurable presets ( Eg 20 PSI and 40 PSI)
2)Connect to tyre
3)Have beer, and relax till it beeps
4)Do other tyres.

These are brilliant. Jamec Pemm is top quality and they come with their individual calibration certificate.

If you shop around you can get them for around $240
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 11:44:41 AM by boobook »

Offline glenm64

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2021, 12:18:26 PM »
I still use Stauns. I have 2 sets actually, Stauns set at 15 psi for sand and a set of Ebay knock offs set at 28psi for gravel roads. I use the cheapies heaps and they work just fine.
They are small, reliable and there's no need to do anything else except take the dust caps off.
I couldnt be bothered with anything else.
There's a big difference between kneeling down
......... and bending over.
The following users thanked this post: brianvicki

Offline plusnq

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2021, 12:42:35 PM »
I still use Stauns. I have 2 sets actually, Stauns set at 15 psi for sand and a set of Ebay knock offs set at 28psi for gravel roads. I use the cheapies heaps and they work just fine.
They are small, reliable and there's no need to do anything else except take the dust caps off.
I couldnt be bothered with anything else.

That’s what I do as well

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2021, 02:30:57 PM »
I never had luck with stauns, mine are somewhere 400ft off the track up the high country in the bush
i ended up with the old Ferret deflator - removes core etc... works well for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmhqytzWnS0
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 12:28:09 PM by Bird »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2021, 05:16:56 PM »
Stauns here too. Never had a problem with them, and they are always accurate. Set mine for 16psi for beach, but if the sand is damp and not so soft, you can tap the top of the Staun deflator, a little before it shuts off and it will stay closed around 19 or 20psi. Walk to the next one and do the same.. Just saves a bit of time on re-inflation.
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan.

Offline lloydus67

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2021, 05:28:25 PM »
I use stauns and ARB Tyre deflator plus a kings brand knock off of the same thing.
The stauns are so easy but a trap for new players. You set them up for each vehicle. 20psi on my Hilux was was 12psi on the much heavier 80series.

Sent from me

Offline Champin

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2021, 08:15:18 PM »
Been using Stuans for yonks and love em. I've got 2 set at 22psi and 2 at 18psi. I check them for accuracy from time to time and have always been preety good.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Offline HEM19X

• Hard Top Camper User
  • If I agree with you, then we would both be wrong!
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2021, 04:23:10 PM »
Stauns, by the time you put them on, go for a leak, they are done!
2019 BT50 with custom canopy and lots of fruit. Towing a 2014 Lotus Freelander [welcome to the dark side]

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2021, 03:09:14 AM »
I use stauns and ARB Tyre deflator plus a kings brand knock off of the same thing.
The stauns are so easy but a trap for new players. You set them up for each vehicle. 20psi on my Hilux was was 12psi on the much heavier 80series.

Sent from me

Not this old chestnut again.. LOL

You must have a different grade of air in the 80series...
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan.

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2021, 07:30:28 AM »
Not this old chestnut again.. LOL

You must have a different grade of air in the 80series...

Doesn't it also depend on what altitude you're at when you measure tyre pressure?
'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"
The following users thanked this post: Troopy_03

Offline plusnq

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2021, 07:42:29 AM »
Doesn't it also depend on what altitude you're at when you measure tyre pressure?

Must be a big lift on the 80 then 😂😂😂
The following users thanked this post: Troopy_03

Offline BaseCamp

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Shake & Bake BB!
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2021, 07:48:22 AM »
From about 38psi;  I slowly countdown about 40 sec, using a key to depress the valve to dump air ...
Then check the pressure using one of those large sized ARB tyre gauges....  (Very easy to read, and seems v. accurate)....
Tyre now sitting at about 25psi...
Dump another 10 - 15 sec worth; then done ...   

My preferred pressure for sand, (FI); 18psi is reached...

I am guessing that with a tyre deflator - you use a gauge to confirm the finish pressure anyway?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

You get out and in to the world -- you take more @#&$. …You climb a little higher, ..you take less @#&$.  …Till one day -- you're up in the rarefied atmosphere -- and you've forgotten what @#&$ even looks like….  Welcome to the layer cake son.

Offline lloydus67

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2021, 07:48:33 AM »
I can tell you from my experience that they are a simple mechanical device and that every time on my 2 ton hilux with 31” tyres, they never missed a beat bringing all 4 tyres down to within 1 psi of each other.
When I changed vehicle they brought all 4 tyres to within 1 psi of each other but a much lower Tyre pressure. The only difference was the second vehicle was 3 ton 80 series with 33” tyres. Once I reset them they still worked at the desired pressure and within 1 psi of each other. You are welcome to make any thing you want of this information. However this is what I found happened. Feel free to discuss your own air but do not discount my experiences.

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2021, 07:53:13 AM »
Just ordered a set of Staun knock offs from Fleabay $14  for four [  Couldnt find my original stauns ] .. A mate has the cheapies and they worked as good as a set of genuine Stauns in a side by side test .. So for $14 why not ..
You watch, now  my  originals will show up somewhere ..
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2021, 01:44:16 PM »
Must be a big lift on the 80 then 😂😂😂

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"

Offline silverfox1111

• Tent User
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2021, 02:13:01 PM »
We got a set of the campboss deflators cause the missus couldn't/didn't like the quicky deflator. They are dearer than the rest but come in a set of four & you can adjust them to what pressure you require with the markings on the unit body. Their very easy to use (like the stauns) & pretty accurate.
Silverfox
Toyota hilux
Modcon ff1(no more)
Jayco swan outback
The following users thanked this post: McTavish, brianvicki

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2021, 02:35:36 PM »
I can tell you from my experience that they are a simple mechanical device and that every time on my 2 ton hilux with 31” tyres, they never missed a beat bringing all 4 tyres down to within 1 psi of each other.
When I changed vehicle they brought all 4 tyres to within 1 psi of each other but a much lower Tyre pressure. The only difference was the second vehicle was 3 ton 80 series with 33” tyres. Once I reset them they still worked at the desired pressure and within 1 psi of each other. You are welcome to make any thing you want of this information. However this is what I found happened. Feel free to discuss your own air but do not discount my experiences.

Yep, a simple mechanical valve that pushes against a spring. The valve has a certain sized surface (fixed) and the spring sets the tension against the valve. It takes a certain amount of pressure to push the valve open against the spring, depending on the spring tension.

So there are only a couple of things that vary the pressure required to open the valve.

The size of the surface of the valve plunger - nope it's fixed

The spring tension against the plunger - nope it's fixed, once you have set it correctly.

So yes, it's a very simple mechanical device, with very little to go wrong.

What can be a bit of a trap is not tightening them down on the valve stem properly. This causes the escaping pressure to be divided between the air escaping through the valve, and the air escaping around the valve. But it will cause the staun to close sooner, because it's only seeing a portion of the total pressure. But then the air is still escaping around the Staun, so you'll probably end up dropping the pressure too low anyway.

Also, if you deflate your tyres while they are very hot, once they cool down, the pressure in the tyre will be a lot lower. Conversely,  If your tyres aren't overly hot, and you drop them to a certain pressure, once you drive them partially deflated, they'll heat up and the tyre pressure will increase.

I originally set mine up for a Toyota 4Runner, then about 5? years later changed to a Troopcarrier. The pressure were always with .5 to 1 psi. A few years ago I did reset them, because one of them seemed to be dropping the tyres to 2psi difference. But since then, they work perfectly.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 02:37:51 PM by Troopy_03 »

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2021, 11:07:16 PM »
I used the stauns for a while (still in the shed) but stopped using them and went to the valve removing type. I use different pressures for sand/gravel etc so found I only used the stauns when I went on the beach. I just got used to using the valve removing type, especially when I’ve got the camper tyres to do as well.
2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC

Offline del97td

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2021, 11:42:00 PM »
i have a set of abr sidewinder staun knockoffs have two set to 18 psi and two at 25psi had em for about ten years now seem a bit more reliable than the stauns cos you set them with an allan key whereas the the stauns just have the knurled section which can get accidently moved by fat or gloved fingers when using

Offline MrHorsepower

• Swag User
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2021, 09:53:01 PM »
Jamec Pem Auto1000 into Indeflate 4 hose connected to Sherpa Big Air .. Im lazy

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2021, 11:59:22 PM »
Well the Fleabay cheapy $14 for 4 Staun knock off tyre deflators came today, Didnt realy expect them to be in seperate bags all in pieces though ..  Easy enough to put together ..
Machine work is nice and seem well made, though there is a couple of bits of the knurling that are machined off on the lock nuts [ obviously happended when they cut them from the longer piece of stock ] ..Now to see if there is enough thread on the main shaft / cap to set them at  20 PSI .

Offline boobook

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2021, 07:34:41 AM »
Chuck em in the bin IMHO. I got copies, they never lower to the same tyre pressure twice.

Offline geopaj

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2021, 06:52:15 PM »
Well the Fleabay cheapy $14 for 4 Staun knock off tyre deflators came today, Didnt realy expect them to be in seperate bags all in pieces though ..  Easy enough to put together ..
Machine work is nice and seem well made, though there is a couple of bits of the knurling that are machined off on the lock nuts [ obviously happended when they cut them from the longer piece of stock ] ..Now to see if there is enough thread on the main shaft / cap to set them at  20 PSI .

I look forward to the review once assembled (please share the link with the review too).

One thing I’ve also wondered is, would they deflate quicker if the ‘air bleed hole’ on the side was enlarged by, say an extra mm??
NT Pajero VRX (My build - https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=47893 )

Sar Major Camper Trailer (My Build - http://www.myswag )

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2021, 08:33:34 PM »
Hey GPaj, Yeah thought about enlarging the bleed hole too ..
Have a cheapy valve removal type and an open clip on ball valve type deflator if I wanted outright speed deflating ..
Old buggered ankles and knees makes it uncomfortable to kneel / bend over each wheel in turn ..So Im going back to these, thread lock them on the PSI setting ..Screw them on, do the walk around, then once theyre down, do another walk around remove and put the caps back on .. if it takes 5 + minutes Im not worried ..
Made a cheap DIY one of these up for the fast deflates a few years ago [ bunnings bits and fleabay for the valve clipons and gauge about $50 from memory ] . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMMixOGG9VU         .....     Fleabay site https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/294106418762
« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 08:50:11 PM by edz »