Author Topic: DC-DC charger for LC 200  (Read 3322 times)

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
DC-DC charger for LC 200
« on: June 02, 2021, 09:52:36 AM »
My 60 amp Stirling DC-DC charger had been a dog since the day I bought it and the local supplier seems to have been dumped by the UK manufacturer. So I need a new one.

I am familiar with what's available on the market but I have a question. The 200 Series has a 160 amp alternator. But I am guessing that this 160 amps is for short periods in cool conditions.

In the real world, does anyone have any idea of the capacity of the alternator to run the biggest possible DC-DC charger? I know plenty of people are running 40 amp units. But could the alternator drive a bigger DC-DC charger?

Keith
200 Series 2008, bull bar, Airmax snorkel,rack with 200 watt solar, third battery, winch, 33's with 2 spares, long range tank, drawers & barrier, bash plates, lifted & locked, Richards transmission lockup plus plenty of dings. Now towing the new Off Road Glamper.

Offline plusnq

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: DC-DC charger for LC 200
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2021, 10:52:44 AM »
I know enerdrive run dual dc dc units. They recommend a minimum of 120 A alternator for 60A output.I would suppose it depends upon total loads on main battery as well.

http://www.enerdrive.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Dual-DC2DC30-Charger-Setup.pdf

Offline moeite

• Tent User
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2021, 11:36:43 AM »
With a 120A alternator I'd suggest that no more than 60A be devoted to a DC-DC charger. Reasoning that modern cars take a goodly amount of power to run - engine management, gearbox management, entertainment system, fans, air-con, lights, instrument panel, etc. By the time you take all of that into account there's probably about half, maybe less, of your alternator output available for other purposes.
Mark F...
VK3KW
2002 Discovery 2 Td5 auto
2004 Outback Sturt rear fold soft floor
Http://jandmf.com

Offline austastar

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2021, 03:28:50 PM »
Hi,
    The Enerdrive one can be throttled down from its 40A within the menu settings.
Cheers

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Offline BBull

• Tent User
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2021, 06:14:19 AM »
What battery are you going to be charging with it? I would personally think if you put any more than a 40amp charger in there it would be too much for the battery. Unless you have a large set up you are charging. I only have a Redarc 40 amp, but am very happy with its output and charging capacity.

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2021, 07:47:05 PM »
Thanks everyone for all of this most useful advice.

The cable to the charging circuit to the van has a VSR and a circuit breaker on it and is connected to an under bonnet auxiliary battery for in car use.

We are on the road and currently holed up at Barnhill Station, an hour or so south of Broome. This means that my procurement options are limited.
We use about 250AH per day and, with the sun shining, power is no problem.

But, even if we pull our heads in on the power use, three or four days of patchy sun sees us out of power, particularly at this time of year when the sun is quite low.

So I have ordered two 30 amp Victron units to run in parallel which are coming up from Fremantle. These will work hand in glove with the Victron MPPT controller and I hope will top the charge off when underway in patchy cloud. Total cost is about $700, which makes it an affordable option, but leaves me with a bit of a wiring job. The cable and Anderson plug from the tow are easily good for 100 amps.

When charging at idle, I think it might be best to run the engine a little faster than normal to avoid overheating the alternator. A stick on the loud pedal seems to do the trick.

I should have it installed by late next week and will report back after we get a bit of running time with it.

Thanks again,
Keith
200 Series 2008, bull bar, Airmax snorkel,rack with 200 watt solar, third battery, winch, 33's with 2 spares, long range tank, drawers & barrier, bash plates, lifted & locked, Richards transmission lockup plus plenty of dings. Now towing the new Off Road Glamper.

Offline loddo

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2021, 07:08:47 PM »
Keith   did you say you are trying to charge the camper battery from the auxiliary battery under the bonnet ???
Retired sparky. Ham radio operator.

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2021, 12:32:44 PM »
Keith   did you say you are trying to charge the camper battery from the auxiliary battery under the bonnet ???

Not quite. They are connected in parallel. A VSR closes when the starting battery is charged and the Anderson and the auxiliary under the bonnet run in parallel. The Anderson plug has its own breaker. The Anderson is rated at 175 amps and the cables to it are huge. My original plan was to put in a really big aftermarket alternator and run two 120 amp DC-DC chargers. But, after thinking about it,  that all seemed a bit silly as well as expensive.
Keith