Author Topic: What’s making news - 2021  (Read 69694 times)

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Re: What’s making news - 2021
« Reply #775 on: November 13, 2021, 05:00:23 PM »
I’m sure the 4wd circuit will get canceled in the name of ecology and protection of some already mentioned endangered creatures. So to pacify everyone they will put in a one way bitumen road loop.
Then once the local tribe get involved, you will only be able to access it all on the tribes buses between the hours of 9-5 for a fee.
But I’m sure it will get named after some NSW Polly and be labeled as a huge success

We have a winner
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #778 on: November 16, 2021, 04:00:00 PM »
New Russian satellite-killer produces decades of fallout

The International Space Station is going into lockdown every 93 minutes. Satellite operators are scrambling to see if their assets are at risk. All thanks to a “most irresponsible” Russian orbital weapons test.

The world’s space agencies and industries went into high alert overnight and ground-based radars had begun issuing warnings about the appearance of a deadly new hail of debris in low Earth orbit.

It was quickly determined that this was not the result of a random, accidental collision.

Instead, it was a deliberate act.

“This is the most irresponsible action we have seen in space for some years,” says LeoLabs Australia director Terry van Haren. “It is probably at the worst altitude you could imagine, above the ISS at 420 km and just under where the mega-constellations are setting up [520km for Starlink]. What were they thinking?”

https://cosmosmagazine.com/space/russia-anti-satellite-weapon-test/?amp=1

Offline plusnq

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #779 on: November 16, 2021, 04:31:32 PM »
New Russian satellite-killer produces decades of fallout

The International Space Station is going into lockdown every 93 minutes. Satellite operators are scrambling to see if their assets are at risk. All thanks to a “most irresponsible” Russian orbital weapons test.

The world’s space agencies and industries went into high alert overnight and ground-based radars had begun issuing warnings about the appearance of a deadly new hail of debris in low Earth orbit.

It was quickly determined that this was not the result of a random, accidental collision.

Instead, it was a deliberate act.

“This is the most irresponsible action we have seen in space for some years,” says LeoLabs Australia director Terry van Haren. “It is probably at the worst altitude you could imagine, above the ISS at 420 km and just under where the mega-constellations are setting up [520km for Starlink]. What were they thinking?”

https://cosmosmagazine.com/space/russia-anti-satellite-weapon-test/?amp=1

They know what they are doing, sadly.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #780 on: November 17, 2021, 07:06:47 PM »
I think they need to invest more cash in roads.....  Buff out?

Potholed highway causing near-death caravanning crash reignites debate over country Victoria's roads

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-11-17/caravanning-crash-reignites-debate-over-country-victorian-roads/100626358

« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 07:16:27 PM by Bird »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline OldPaj

• Tent User
« Reply #781 on: November 17, 2021, 07:17:07 PM »
What can you say.
So much for REGIONAL Roads Vic!
While here in central Vic, they seem to start activities that all then come to a complete halt and are left as 40/60kph zones for months and months.
Recently went down to Little River from here and the Bacchus Marsh - Geelong Rd road works are no different than the last time I went there in July.
The following users thanked this post: Mitch 83

Offline austastar

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #782 on: November 17, 2021, 07:31:51 PM »

........ come to a complete halt and are left as 40/60kph zones for months and months.

Thus: 'Roadworks' becomes 'Roadwords'.
Cheers

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #783 on: November 17, 2021, 09:57:06 PM »
Quote from: OldPaj
While here in central Vic, they seem to start activities that all then come to a complete halt and are left as 40/60kph zones for months and months.
Ive noticed round here they must have bought 10,000 Rough Surface signs... theres more of them than speed limit signs.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #784 on: November 18, 2021, 07:40:47 AM »
country Victoria's roads

"provided RRV around $300 million this year to cover the upkeep of about 19,000 kilometres of road."
which works out tp ~$160 / km! :o ::)

Jeez, $160 wouldn't even cover a planning meeting, let alone any work :'(

Offline Rob Mac

• Tent User
  • My Father learning to drive 1950
« Reply #785 on: November 18, 2021, 07:57:34 AM »
Ive noticed round here they must have bought 10,000 Rough Surface signs... there's more of them than speed limit signs.
Yea, same here in Qld, I have been travelling out west, and what peeves me off, come across a "rough surface" sign and see a new strip of bitumen, so it has been repaired, but the damn sign is still there.
Potatoes go with anything

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #786 on: November 18, 2021, 04:17:27 PM »
Not surprising...

Faulty caravans are causing a spike in complaints to Australia's consumer watchdog and it wants to find out why, as scores of caravaning Aussies get ready to hit the road over summer.

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) has urged Australians who have recently bought a caravan to get in touch, following a wave of 1300 complaints from disgruntled customers about their caravans in the last five years.

Common complaints, according to the ACCC, included retailers selling new caravans that do not meet consumer guarantees, and faults leading to disputes between manufacturers and retailers about who is responsible for the cost of repairs

The popularity of caravan ownership in Australia is at record levels, the Caravan Industry Association of Australia (CIAA) said, with 2019 data revealing one in 13 Aussie families now own a caravan or camper.

More than 800,000 registered RVs will take to the road this summer, making over 4 million trips, the CIAA has predicted.

"The caravan industry has experienced strong sales growth in recent years," Delia Rickard of the ACCC said, "and this is expected to increase as more Australians choose to travel domestically rather than overseas due to the ongoing pandemic."

The ACCC has clashed with caravan manufacturers in the past.

In 2017, the ACCC launched court action against Jayco, alleging it had acted unconscionably and made false or misleading representations to four consumers about their right to obtain a refund or replacement for their defective caravan.

The Federal Court dismissed the majority of the ACCC's claims, but has since imposed penalties of $75,000 against Jayco for misleading one consumer about their consumer guarantee rights.

On Friday, the ACCC launched separate surveys for purchasers and retailers of new caravans, in an attempt to understand "possible consumer law issues" in the industry.

The purchaser survey focused on the sales process and whether consumers had any faults with their new caravans.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/australian-caravan-owners-urged-to-contact-accc-about-defects-and-faults/956bb9c1-6d61-4127-9996-6d556858f7b9
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #787 on: November 19, 2021, 05:05:25 AM »
I wonder how many piss heads can afford a brand new car.
Be interesting to see how the system goes after 10 years and different owners.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-11-18/us-cars-mandated-to-spot-drunk-drivers-and-stop-them-joe-biden/100632876
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #788 on: November 19, 2021, 07:56:14 AM »
Quote from: Jeepers Creepers
I wonder how many piss heads can afford a brand new car.
Be interesting to see how the system goes after 10 years and different owners.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-11-18/us-cars-mandated-to-spot-drunk-drivers-and-stop-them-joe-biden/100632876

I think the idea behind it is fantastic - go harder on em... Anything to keep drunk ****wits off the road wins in my book... but like happens now, they get someone else to blow in the
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #789 on: November 19, 2021, 10:48:55 AM »
Shame.

Chrysler will stop selling cars in Australia this year, bringing an end to the era of affordable V8-powered sedans.

The 6.4-litre Chrysler 300 SRT is the only sub-$100,000 V8 on sale today. Around 30 of the machines remain in dealers.

BMW’s $168,000 M550i will soon be the cheapest V8 sedan on sale, putting the once-popular motor and body style out of reach for many drivers.

https://www.news.com.au/technology/motoring/motoring-news/chrysler-pulls-out-of-australia/news-story/dda431a60b4ecad6e0352872d18184fe
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #790 on: November 20, 2021, 07:08:59 AM »
What are the :police: going to do now ???

Sounds like Beemers all round ??? ::)

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #791 on: November 20, 2021, 09:12:01 AM »
Bastards are ringing me, asking how many Marvin's i can build...  bah ha ha ha ha
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #795 on: November 26, 2021, 10:16:01 AM »
Another big company gone

IVECO Australia is to bring the curtain down on a long and proud history of manufacturing trucks at its Dandenong plant in Melbourne from mid-2022.

In a media statement this week, IVECO announced that from next year it would fully import its heavy duty range from its manufacturing HQ in Madrid, Spain.

IVECO currently imports its light duty, medium duty, selected heavy duty, minibus and off-road models.

Over the coming months IVECO said it will continue to engage with its employees who may be impacted by the announcement, and will provide appropriate support.

Big Rigs has asked IVECO for more details on how many jobs are affected.

The decision to fully import its heavy duty range will allow IVECO Trucks Australia to more closely align model year introduction timings with that of its parent company in Europe, the statement added.

As an example, IVECO will be launching the new S-WAY model in Australia according to the global launch plan.

“The new S-WAY model for the Australian and New Zealand market will have undergone thousands of hours and kilometres of validation testing on local roads and highways and had input and development from IVECO’s local engineers and specifically selected customer partners, ensuring it is designed and then tested to meet the needs of our local ANZ market.”

https://bigrigs.com.au/index.php/2021/11/25/iveco-announces-end-to-full-local-manufacturing-at-dandenong
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Foo

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #796 on: November 26, 2021, 11:20:19 AM »
Western Star have been doing the customising of trucks for years here, so I guess nothing much will change, except for the profit margins to the parent company in Europe.  ???

Foo
So long as you have tried your best, you should have no regrets.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #797 on: November 26, 2021, 11:27:05 AM »
Quote from: Foo
Western Star have been doing the customising of trucks for years here, so I guess nothing much will change, except for the profit margins to the parent company in Europe.  ???
jobs... :(

have you come across any of these yet
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/apr/29/swap-and-go-electric-trucks-to-run-between-sydney-and-brisbane-using-exchangeable-batteries
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #798 on: November 26, 2021, 12:05:06 PM »
Lets see where this leads

Charged (but yet to have his day in court) - https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-11-26/greg-lynn-missing-campers-murder-charge-russell-hill-carol-clay/100652428
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Complete Campsite Exodus 16.

Offline Foo

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #799 on: November 26, 2021, 01:00:11 PM »
jobs... :(

have you come across any of these yet
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/apr/29/swap-and-go-electric-trucks-to-run-between-sydney-and-brisbane-using-exchangeable-batteries

No and with the cost of batteries at $110000,  :o I can't see them being widely used.  ??? The rental system is probably doable but what will be required for the change over, as I can't see drivers being able to do the change by themselves?  ???

Foo
So long as you have tried your best, you should have no regrets.