Author Topic: Dirt roads close to Sydney  (Read 3294 times)

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
Dirt roads close to Sydney
« on: November 09, 2020, 09:23:07 PM »
We want to give our Off Road Glamper a few test runs on dirt roads before we head out after Christmas. We know she tows well on the blacktop. We know she's good camping in the rain and snow. We know that everything works, or at least it does at the moment. But she's never been down a dirt road. So we want to test her out on fast(ish) dirt roads to make sure everything is tight and dustproof.

I understand that a lot of the Blue Mountains roads are closed after the bushfires. But if anyone has any ideas for, say a 3 or 4 day round trip out of Sydney with plenty of dirt, please let me know. I am happy with fire trails, but no tough off road stuff until I get my confidence up.

We have a 4,000kg GVM happening in ten days time and will head out for a few trips after that.
Cheers.
Keith
200 Series 2008, bull bar, Airmax snorkel,rack with 200 watt solar, third battery, winch, 33's with 2 spares, long range tank, drawers & barrier, bash plates, lifted & locked, Richards transmission lockup plus plenty of dings. Now towing the new Off Road Glamper.

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Dirt roads close to Sydney
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2020, 09:52:51 PM »
Can’t think of any especially dusty dirt roads too close to the city, but plenty of poorly maintained dirt roads to choose from.

Yengo or Watagans to the North.
Zig Zag to the West.
Mittagong/Wombeyan Caves to the South.
The following users thanked this post: KeithB

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2020, 08:03:25 AM »
Don't know any myself, but a bloke an another forum lives at Oberon, so I can ask him if you like, Keith ???
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline silverfox1111

• Tent User
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2020, 08:30:00 AM »
Caves to caves run should give it a good test. Jenolan caves to Wombeyan caves then through to Taralga then return
Toyota hilux
Modcon ff1(no more)
Jayco swan outback

Offline Rhojef

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2020, 09:14:28 AM »
Turon river from Capertee to Sofala is a good run.
There is a couple of k's that need 4wd engaged but it's not to difficult.  Free camping at Sofala is pretty cool next to the river and Hill end and Bridle track isn't to far away from there.

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2020, 04:27:21 PM »
Heard back from him:

" I think the road to Kanagra-Boyd NP is now open. That's about 30km of dirt, 60km return.

The back way to Bathurst via Sewells Creek Road is rough and dirty, though might be a challenge with a caravan, depending on size. A short, but really easy, run is between O'Connell Rd and Lowes Mount Rd on Cox River Rd. I think parts of Shooters Hill Rd, between Abercrombie Rd and Edith Rd, are gravel. I haven't done there since mid last year, so can't recall. Isabell Rd, just south of Black Springs, is another possibility."

Hope that helps ???
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2020, 08:33:18 PM »
Keith, I will give you my suggested trip that I would often take people along for a mountain and valleys trip experience.
I can’t comment on whether roads etc are open as I haven’t lived in the area for 5 years, but when I did I was blessed that I could turn out my drive and within a km of home I was on the start of the trek.
The tracks range from trails that an Hybrid type van (like I recall yours to be like) would have no issues with completing to dirt roads with minimal traffic. ( refer second sentence above). You aren’t going to get bull dust but you will be able to write “wash me” in the dust after travelling the dirt roads and tracks.

1 Head from home out through Richmond and take the Bells Line of Rd to the top of the hill at Kurrajong Hts, turn left at the local IGA, ( unless you head up to the Archibald hotel for a quick liquid refill), turn left into Burralow Rd which quickly turns to dirt and follow this for 9.6km down the Burralow Campgroud. Depending on when you left home you could make this the 1st camp for the trip.

2 Leave Burralow camp ground and take the alternate Patterson Range track out of the valley and continue on for around 13 km of dirt until you hit the Bells Line of Rd, turn left and head west on BLofRd for around 5 km before you turn right into Mountain Lagoon Rd at Bilpin, this Rd turns to dirt around 8 km along the road. As you pass through Mountain Lagoon you can do a side loop around Sams way and see the lagoon. Continue along the Mt Lagoon Rd until you hit Comleroy Rd and turn left here. You will now continue north and eventually you wind the way down to the Colo River, which you follow down river until you find Upper Colo Rd on the left, swing left here and cross the Colo river on the timber bridge. Immediately after crossing the bridge you have the option of turning hard left and heading into the Upper Colo camping reserve grounds and another camp option.
In any case you continue heading up hill on Upper Colo Rd until you hit the Putty road.

3. Turn right here at the Putty Rd at Colo Heights and head towards Windsor, sorry you are back on the bitumen now but only for 3 or 4 kms as you now turn left into the Wheelbarrow Ridge road and soon your back on dirt.
You now follow this road down to Lower Portland near the confluence of the Hawkesbury and Colo River. You continue following the river downstream and the road changes to Greens Road which will wind your way along the river passing ski parks , the South Sydney rabbits retreat and horse studs. You may think you are trespassing but you are on a public road. After climbing away from the river you head along until you hit the Bicentennial Rd that eventually takes you down to the Webb’s creek ferry near Wiseman Ferry.. Don’t cross the ferry unless you want to visit Wiseman Ferry. Around this area there are some paid camping options at various ski parks.

4. From here you are going to turn left and follow the St Albans Rd upto St Albans where you can stop at the pub and also (check) camp at the St Albans Common. you are still on dirt mostly all the way until here.

5 at St Albans you now can head up the Wollemi and Great North road (Dirt) until you eventually come to the bitumen up near Wollemi Greta road.

6 from here you options are to head home or continue travelling but a suggestion maybe head to Scone and take the dirt road over the Barrington Tops to Gloucester or alternatively from near Singleton head back along the Golden Valley way towards Mudgee and the sites around that region.

Enjoy and send me a PM if you want more details.

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2020, 10:10:06 PM »
Thanks Rags. We have been along one or two of these roads at different times, but only one or two.
I'll check the maps and PM you if we need more help.
Many thanks
Keith
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 02:49:35 PM by KeithB »
200 Series 2008, bull bar, Airmax snorkel,rack with 200 watt solar, third battery, winch, 33's with 2 spares, long range tank, drawers & barrier, bash plates, lifted & locked, Richards transmission lockup plus plenty of dings. Now towing the new Off Road Glamper.

Offline ronmac

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Just love my wild turkey
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2020, 09:38:01 AM »
Hey rags, brilliant reply. The club you mention South Sydney Juniors ski club was also known as Uno - Voce , Also across the river is the ST George motor boat club I don't know if it's still there, had some good drinking times in my day at both clubs. cheers Ron.
The greatest gift you can give someone is your time, because when you give your time you are giving a portion of your life that you will never get back.

Well, strip my gears and call me Shiftless.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2020, 10:36:26 AM »
Quote from: ronmac
Also across the river is the ST George motor boat club I don't know if it's still there, had some good drinking times in my day at both clubs. cheers Ron.

St George motor boat club is still there. :)
also mick maulins pub near Capt Cook Bridge... many weekends headed over there by tinny with 5-6 of us in there for a session... gettin home was a lottery across the bay, hoping for no southerly
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2020, 06:19:08 PM »
Rags,
Denise and i got out the maps today, checked out your recommended route and will take in Barrington as well, which Denise hasn't seen. But I understand that Junction Pools is closed, which is a shame. Looks great though. We'll leave on a Thursday afternoon and come back Monday.
Will do it in a week or two's time.
Thanks again.
Keith

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2020, 06:20:36 PM »
St George motor boat club is still there. :)
also mick maulins pub near Capt Cook Bridge... many weekends headed over there by tinny with 5-6 of us in there for a session... gettin home was a lottery across the bay, hoping for no southerly

I think RonMac is referring to the club ( Riviera Ski Club ) on the eastern bank of the Hawkesbury River at Lower Portland rather than a club on the George’s River at San Sousi

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2020, 06:29:10 PM »
Rags,
Denise and i got out the maps today, checked out your recommended route and will take in Barrington as well, which Denise hasn't seen. But I understand that Junction Pools is closed, which is a shame. Looks great though. We'll leave on a Thursday afternoon and come back Monday.
Will do it in a week or two's time.
Thanks again.
Keith

It won’t be  a fast trip as the roads wind the way around the country but it is enjoyable trip anyway. You also have the option of where you start including from Kurrajong, Wilberforce or travel direct to Wiseman Ferry and start there.
Look forward to a few photos.

Back in the early 1990s I did the plumbing on the Country Club Resort at Wiseman Ferry and would take the dirt road home everyday from Wisemans to Kurrajong. I need to get down to Wiseman as we have a property there that we need to do some work on, just need a border to open.

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2020, 07:28:43 PM »
Barrington Tops is a nice drive, but not all that dusty.

A more dusty road would be from Gundy to Timor, then on to Crawney pass then on to Nundle.  Or turn right before Crawney Pass and head off along Sargeants Gap road and wind your way back past James Packers golf course and finish back at Moonan Flat.......then up to Barrington Tops from there !!
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline ronmac

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Just love my wild turkey
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2020, 09:33:09 AM »
I think RonMac is referring to the club ( Riviera Ski Club ) on the eastern bank of the Hawkesbury River at Lower Portland rather than a club on the George’s River at San Sousi

Thanks rags, I was. In the early 80's I was a ferry driver at Lower Portland there was some serious drinking going on just about all the skiers would thrust a beer in your fist it was an insane time. cheers Ron.

The greatest gift you can give someone is your time, because when you give your time you are giving a portion of your life that you will never get back.

Well, strip my gears and call me Shiftless.

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2020, 12:50:26 PM »
Keith, I will give you my suggested trip that I would often take people along for a mountain and valleys trip experience.
I can’t comment on whether roads etc are open as I haven’t lived in the area for 5 years, but when I did I was blessed that I could turn out my drive and within a km of home I was on the start of the trek.
The tracks range from trails that an Hybrid type van (like I recall yours to be like) would have no issues with completing to dirt roads with minimal traffic. ( refer second sentence above). You aren’t going to get bull dust but you will be able to write “wash me” in the dust after travelling the dirt roads and tracks.

1 Head from home out through Richmond and take the Bells Line of Rd to the top of the hill at Kurrajong Hts, turn left at the local IGA, ( unless you head up to the Archibald hotel for a quick liquid refill), turn left into Burralow Rd which quickly turns to dirt and follow this for 9.6km down the Burralow Campgroud. Depending on when you left home you could make this the 1st camp for the trip.

2 Leave Burralow camp ground and take the alternate Patterson Range track out of the valley and continue on for around 13 km of dirt until you hit the Bells Line of Rd, turn left and head west on BLofRd for around 5 km before you turn right into Mountain Lagoon Rd at Bilpin, this Rd turns to dirt around 8 km along the road. As you pass through Mountain Lagoon you can do a side loop around Sams way and see the lagoon. Continue along the Mt Lagoon Rd until you hit Comleroy Rd and turn left here. You will now continue north and eventually you wind the way down to the Colo River, which you follow down river until you find Upper Colo Rd on the left, swing left here and cross the Colo river on the timber bridge. Immediately after crossing the bridge you have the option of turning hard left and heading into the Upper Colo camping reserve grounds and another camp option.
In any case you continue heading up hill on Upper Colo Rd until you hit the Putty road.

3. Turn right here at the Putty Rd at Colo Heights and head towards Windsor, sorry you are back on the bitumen now but only for 3 or 4 kms as you now turn left into the Wheelbarrow Ridge road and soon your back on dirt.
You now follow this road down to Lower Portland near the confluence of the Hawkesbury and Colo River. You continue following the river downstream and the road changes to Greens Road which will wind your way along the river passing ski parks , the South Sydney rabbits retreat and horse studs. You may think you are trespassing but you are on a public road. After climbing away from the river you head along until you hit the Bicentennial Rd that eventually takes you down to the Webb’s creek ferry near Wiseman Ferry.. Don’t cross the ferry unless you want to visit Wiseman Ferry. Around this area there are some paid camping options at various ski parks.

4. From here you are going to turn left and follow the St Albans Rd upto St Albans where you can stop at the pub and also (check) camp at the St Albans Common. you are still on dirt mostly all the way until here.

5 at St Albans you now can head up the Wollemi and Great North road (Dirt) until you eventually come to the bitumen up near Wollemi Greta road.

6 from here you options are to head home or continue travelling but a suggestion maybe head to Scone and take the dirt road over the Barrington Tops to Gloucester or alternatively from near Singleton head back along the Golden Valley way towards Mudgee and the sites around that region.

Enjoy and send me a PM if you want more details.

Thanks heaps Rags. We did that same trip last week and your directions were spot on. We spent two nights at Burralow and then went on to Wollembi where we camped behind the pub. The pub at St Albans was closed.
Then we pushed on and spent two nights at the Polblue swap campsite at Barrington Tops. Then home down the bitumen with a stop off to see the inlaws at the Central Coast.
The van went well on its first maiden trip on the dirt with no problems at all. There are more comments on my build thread.
But thanks Rags for taking the time to provide such comprehensive directions for a great trip.
Keith

The following users thanked this post: rags

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2020, 08:22:21 PM »
Thanks heaps Rags. We did that same trip last week and your directions were spot on. We spent two nights at Burralow and then went on to Wollembi where we camped behind the pub. The pub at St Albans was closed.
Then we pushed on and spent two nights at the Polblue swap campsite at Barrington Tops. Then home down the bitumen with a stop off to see the inlaws at the Central Coast.
The van went well on its first maiden trip on the dirt with no problems at all. There are more comments on my build thread.
But thanks Rags for taking the time to provide such comprehensive directions for a great trip.
Keith

Keith, I’m glad you got to do the trip. I hope you enjoyed Burralow, it was always a favourite of ours to visit even though it was so close to home. Mid week was always special time to visit and camp there as no crowds. I do miss the area after living there for 28 years.