Author Topic: Rear Fold Camper - level ground setup ?  (Read 4672 times)

Offline BigAl63

• Learning the Ropes
Rear Fold Camper - level ground setup ?
« on: November 04, 2020, 06:57:29 AM »
G'day All,

Can I ask for feedback from Rear Fold camper owners as to whether Rear Folds are a pain in always needing to find level ground for setup  ???

Some people are telling me a Forward Fold is the beter way to go as they open on their own footprint.

Cheers, Al

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Rear Fold Camper - level ground setup ?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2020, 07:26:44 AM »
Not at all. If it is rough enough that you can't set up a rear fold, you don't want to camp there. You don't want the ground radically higher at the floor end though which has never been a big deal for me (I've had 2 rear folds). A whole lot of forward fold buyers are first time owners who say whatever the salesman told them and have no clue how a rear fold actually works.
The following users thanked this post: GeoffA

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2020, 08:00:32 AM »
I can only speak from my own experience, which is owning just one rear fold camper. It was a pain in the arse. If the ground behind the levelled trailer was a little too high, I could not get the floor of the rearfold low enough to tighten the canvas roof. The only option was to tilt the trailer forward. It the rear ground is low, you can pack it up or adjust the legs no problem. Maybe I was doing it all wrong.
Packing up wet (even with just a bit of dew) means you have to dry it out within a day or two, which I guess is a problem with all campers.
I hated it and switched to a small caravan.
Keith
200 Series 2008, bull bar, Airmax snorkel,rack with 200 watt solar, third battery, winch, 33's with 2 spares, long range tank, drawers & barrier, bash plates, lifted & locked, Richards transmission lockup plus plenty of dings. Now towing the new Off Road Glamper.

Offline NZMarkb

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2020, 08:10:17 AM »
My 10c worth
I've never had an issue as has already been said
If it's that bad why are you trying to camp there anyway
The worst issue I've ever had is there was limited space so once I positioned the camper I unhitched it and parked else where
If your not prepaired to stand behind our troops
Then feel free to stand in front of them

Offline AllanK

• Swag User
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2020, 08:21:10 AM »
X2
The following users thanked this post: NZMarkb

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2020, 09:18:20 AM »
Quote from: BigAl63
Can I ask for feedback from Rear Fold camper owners as to whether Rear Folds are a pain in always needing to find level ground for setup  ???

Some people are telling me a Forward Fold is the beter way to go as they open on their own footprint.

Pretty much all trailers need fairly level ground... and as said, if its that Shitty an area, move on.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline jwb

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2020, 10:36:47 AM »
Unlevel ground will give issues no matter if it's a forward fold OR rear fold
Either don't have "magic" abilities:)

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Cheers

Jwb

Offline Traveller

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2020, 10:51:46 AM »
We have travelled with a rear fold for the last 14 years, and in all that time we have only had issues maybe 2 or 3 times, and that was probably more from our stupidity than anything to do with the trailer. Just by moving around on the site quite often helps as well. Side to side levelling, which effects all campers, is more the issue for us.

As the others have said, if it looks too steep, keep on looking. You must also bear in mind that the forward folds still need to be reasonably level, they just need a smaller area to do it in.

Offline Agent009

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2020, 11:29:13 AM »
I hired a rear fold and thought it was pretty good, but I much prefer the forward fold setup given that it only requires its own foot print.

I nearly purchased a Cub Longreach LE but ended up deciding between Cub Frontier or Wild Boar Tuff Grunt Forward Fold instead.

If you prefer rear fold I don't think the level ground issue will come into play too much.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2020, 11:39:21 AM »
Go and hire a rear fold, a soft and if you can find - a forward fold.

Answer it for yourself :) See if what YOU are happy with.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline plusnq

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2020, 11:51:30 AM »

:cup: :cup: :cup:

Offline BigAl63

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2020, 12:44:02 PM »
Unlevel ground will give issues no matter if it's a forward fold OR rear fold
Either don't have "magic" abilities:)

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Yes but a FF having a smaller footprint needs a smaller plot so easier to deal with.
Cheers

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2020, 02:15:33 PM »
Yes but a FF having a smaller footprint needs a smaller plot so easier to deal with.
Cheers
Yep FFs are definitely a smaller footprint. You decide if that’s a good thing or not. I like my kitchen under the canvas, on its own, not on the edge of it with a set of stairs in the middle and the fridge/pantry on the other side. Think about logistics around other people and a table in there also.

Offline lloydus67

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2020, 04:00:10 PM »
Horse for courses really. I like my Modcon FF, but if positioned poorly can leave the kitchen a little exposed to the elements, however a shade cloth or awning wall fixes it depending on if it’s sun or rain that is the issue.
I do have to admit that with the kitchen out and the fridge slide/ pantry open, there is limited room in the annex room for a dining table and a family of 4. That is only an issue in bad weather, we still have the internal lounge / seating area if it’s not made up as a bed.
Tbh if we are set up like that, it’s generally for a longer stay and we often have a tent or swag for the kids and extra gazebo space.
We actually have started using a 6x3 gazebo a lot of the time, particularly shorter stays as it gives us a better shade area and faster setup / pull down time than the big annex roof
Lloyd

Sent from me
The following users thanked this post: BigAl63

Offline BigAl63

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2020, 06:21:50 PM »

Thanks Bird but I feel you're missing the point.
I simply want to know from the collective whether a RF is a pain re always looking for flat ground.
Yes I could go and hire one but that would be a single event which is why I'm asking the forum.
I like the RF,  not interested in soft and only marginally in FF.
Cheers Al

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2020, 06:53:41 PM »
Never really had an issue with our CUB semi offroad....off road suspension would probably be even better.

you soon learn where best to set up, no different to a owning a caravan, motorhome, 4B with RTT they all have their own requirements.

One thing to remember is length when booking some campsite, got caught out twice as back 20 years ago they assumed it was a side fold soft floor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2020, 08:27:25 PM »
I can only speak from my own experience, which is owning just one rear fold camper. It was a pain in the arse. If the ground behind the levelled trailer was a little too high, I could not get the floor of the rearfold low enough to tighten the canvas roof. The only option was to tilt the trailer forward. It the rear ground is low, you can pack it up or adjust the legs no problem. Maybe I was doing it all wrong.
Packing up wet (even with just a bit of dew) means you have to dry it out within a day or two, which I guess is a problem with all campers.
I hated it and switched to a small caravan.
Keith

I think I might be judging all rear folds by the crappy one I had.  It did not have enough clearance between the floor frame and the ground when folded out, which caused all sorts of problems.
If you can get one with reasonably long adjustable legs under the foldout, I think you will do a lot better than I did. Mine was an early model Ezytrail Eden LX. Piece if junk which I sold for less than half what I paid for it after three years and was glad to see  it gone.
Keith
200 Series 2008, bull bar, Airmax snorkel,rack with 200 watt solar, third battery, winch, 33's with 2 spares, long range tank, drawers & barrier, bash plates, lifted & locked, Richards transmission lockup plus plenty of dings. Now towing the new Off Road Glamper.

Offline aussie9

• Tent User
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2020, 08:37:57 PM »
I've got a Modcon Grandeur rear fold.
The floor sits about 250mm off the ground with independently adjustable legs right at the back of the floor. Pretty easy to set up really on any slopes etc
Cheers

Sent from my DUB-LX2 using Tapatalk

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2020, 09:59:13 PM »
Quote from: BigAl63
I simply want to know from the collective whether a RF is a pain re always looking for flat ground.
Nothing wrong with asking questions..
but they have said no its not a PITA.. and others have said it is... thus why I suggest that its better to judge for yourself.

It depends on how much Shit your willing to put up with before YOU consider it a PITA.
What i consider normal issues and Im willing to put up with on rough ground may piss you off, and vice versa :)

YMMV
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home
The following users thanked this post: Traveller

Offline Kegs1972

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2020, 08:26:01 AM »
we have a Cub Weekender rear fold, never had a problem, carry a small spirit level which goes in the middle, put a ramp at either wheel depending on which one needs it and wind up/down to suit.
Life is too short so make the most of every day!