Poll

If you were asked to work remotely due to covid and now been asked to choose - which would you prefer?

I prefer working from home (full time)
11 (25.6%)
I prefer working from home 1-2 days a week
7 (16.3%)
I prefer working from 3-4 days a week
8 (18.6%)
I don't prefer working from home
6 (14%)
I don't have a choice to work from home
11 (25.6%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Author Topic: Work from home/ Office - Covid  (Read 5726 times)

Offline Beachman

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Work from home/ Office - Covid
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2020, 02:50:47 PM »
I’ve been working in an office for 30+ years  and about 5 years ago I started doing one day per week for home and then about 2 years ago I started doing a 2nd day per week which was fantastic.

Since early March I’ve been full time at home and for the first few weeks I hated it. But I got into the grove of being full time at home and really enjoying it as it gives such a great work/life balance. Today is my first day back in the office (just for a meeting) and I’m hating it and told my boss he won’t be seeing me back this year.

Offline MattNQ

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • The smartist formerly known as Skypig
    • My website
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2020, 03:21:34 PM »
How many people have had an onsite OH&S inspection of their "Home workspace" ??? ex had a chance to work from home few years ago, they inspected the "office" 3 times before signing off…

Very few I bet
Mine would fail.
Only redeeming feature of my home workspace is the liquor cabinet next to it :)

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Offline MattNQ

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • My website
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2020, 04:03:49 PM »
I quite enjoy it to be honest.
I was already doing approx 1-3 days a fortnight from home anyway when it suited me.
We got sent home fulltime on 16/3. Been home ever since.
I got my boss's permission to bring home my 2 big monitors, & nice comfy office chair. So glad I did.  ;D

For my actual role, it doesn't make much difference where I work - my boss is in Adelaide and rest of my team are in Perth, Sydney, Brisbane & Melbourne.
I deal with various people spread across the country & also our "extended workforce" over in India.

So the I guess only thing I miss is the day to day contact with the people from other parts of the company that I normally share the office here with - I have worked alongside and with many of them for 25 years. 
Actually I also miss the free air-conditioning - My 'study' only has a dodgy old box aircon. Summer is threatening to be a bitch this year.

The family can be distracting at times - eg. wife often watching some shoot-em-up police show when she's not at work, but I do have a noise cancelling headset that helps  ;D
It's really not much worse than the open plan office for distractions.

Healthwise, it has been much better. No smoko van to tempt me with those evil pies & greasy deep fried treats. I start earlier than I used to, so can finish earlier & can get out & exercise & lose the spare tyre.

Offline DrewXT

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2020, 10:44:27 PM »
Been working from home for long before Covid hit, and to be honest, working on 4-5 client accounts, it's easier - there's nothing worse than talking to a client when you're onsite with another one.

I work for a large multinational, and in Australia alone, we've stopped lease on 10+ levels around the country, so that's effectively 600-700 now working from home/remotely or hot desking when they do go to an office space

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

2013 Amarok Highline
2015 Customline Adventure Walkup

Offline MadMarv

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2020, 10:11:33 AM »
Ive been very fortunate as ive continued to work right thru as normal .... am unable to work from home anyway as i work in recycling..... my wife is a care worker so she has also worked right thru .... dont know people have managed being basicly cooped up at home .... for me im so over it and like many we have missed many major anniversary/birthdays this year which is the hard part to accecpt...
Regards

Marv

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2020, 12:10:00 PM »
Quote from: MadMarv
. dont know people have managed being basicly cooped up at home
I spoke to 1 member who has worked from home in his caravan parked outside his house since Feb. only done 300klms in his car all year - once or twice to the office.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline wakychapmans

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2020, 07:33:31 AM »
I spoke to 1 member who has worked from home in his caravan parked outside his house since Feb. only done 300klms in his car all year - once or twice to the office.
yep (even before the gearbox issues)

my Cruiser had done a total of 47klm between March 19th (when I started working from home) and now.
Wayne & Kyria Chapman
(+ Tucker & Monty the Samoyeds)
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=58855.msg1064705#msg1064705
www.youtube.com/@morepawstravels/about
105 series Landcruiser 1HZ (soooooo much power)
1994, Supreme Getaway 14' (a "renovators dream")
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=56736.

Offline MattNQ

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • My website
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2020, 08:37:29 PM »
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 03:13:29 PM by MattNQ »

Offline Wazza999

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2020, 01:57:36 PM »
How many people have had an onsite OH&S inspection of their "Home workspace" ??? ex had a chance to work from home few years ago, they inspected the "office" 3 times before signing off…

Very few I bet
When I worked at CSIRO, a condition of getting formal permission to work from home was an OHS inspection of your home office set up at your expense, work supplied the laptop. Under covid rules the organisation is supplying a fully kitted out office incl sit stand desks. Pity they threw out thousands of dollars worth of them when the organisation decided it would 'voluntarily' confirm to the APS area per employee (it has its own act just like the ABC) and moved everyone into a little library carrel size dog box. I don't think there are the resources to do the number of OHS assessments needed. No doubt in a year or so across many organisations, the brown stuff will make contact with the spinning blades when the workers comp claims start rolling in.
NT Pajero/2007 Goldstream Crown