Author Topic: Once the situation returns to a somewhat acceptable way of life.  (Read 12953 times)

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Re: Once the situation returns to a somewhat acceptable way of life.
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2020, 11:16:12 AM »
Quote from: Rodt
Hope your right. We had a 3 day comedy cruise booked in June. They sent us an email to say they could either give us a full refund or give us credit. To sweeten the credit offer they said if we took it they would add an extra $200 to the total. With the potential price reductions coming we may get a pretty good deal in the future
I dont think at any price I'd go on a cruise in the foreseeable future!!! A whole $200? ;)
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2020, 11:24:35 AM »
I dont think at any price I'd go on a cruise in the foreseeable future!!! A whole $200? ;)

I doubt if any of the cruise liner industries will survive.  Tourism will not take off until a vaccine has been found and given out. This could take 2 years.  International travel will be very hard hit. Tourism, like here in Cairns , will and is taking a hiding. Will do for many, many months to come.  I can see domestic tourism taking off, even if we are limited to our own state for the foreseeable future. I would much rather see our tourism dollar staying here than being given to Bali, cruise ships, USA or any other place...Who knows?  We are all just guessing.
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2020, 11:39:46 AM »
Quote from: Bigfish
I doubt if any of the cruise liner industries will survive.  Tourism will not take off until a vaccine has been found and given out. This could take 2 years.  International travel will be very hard hit. Tourism, like here in Cairns , will and is taking a hiding. Will do for many, many months to come.  I can see domestic tourism taking off, even if we are limited to our own state for the foreseeable future. I would much rather see our tourism dollar staying here than being given to Bali, cruise ships, USA or any other place...Who knows?  We are all just guessing.

Agree with the cruise line stuff..
yep will be an amazing opportunity for local state tourism to really shine.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline doc evil

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2020, 11:54:21 AM »
Be interesting to see how long the break is until the crap shows like I shagged so n so at first sight, the numpty wants a dog that is married to a pidgeon, fix my place and paint yours a horrid pink etc. are back terrorising our screens. The virus has been good to stop this rot, at least only temporarily............
2005 4.2TD ST Patrol 4 door ute, lifted, locked, ARB barred and Warn winched, 33" Cooper ST Maxx.....and a denco turbo upgrade! mmmm power.....

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2020, 12:05:26 PM »
Quote from: doc evil
Be interesting to see how long the break is until the crap shows like I shagged so n so at first sight, the numpty wants a dog that is married to a pidgeon, fix my place and paint yours a horrid pink etc. are back terrorising our screens.
Thats the worst thought of this whole thing!!!! Sadly there will be more of these zero budget shows :'(

The virus has been good to stop this rot, at least only temporarily............
yep!
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2020, 12:15:43 PM »
When will 'the situation' return? Well here tis from the most experienced at that-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=0&v=gAk7aX5hksU&feature=emb_logo

So you can see where the Minister is coming from beginning to let the jetsetters down gently-
https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/australias-tourism-minister-issues-warning-international-travel-unlikely-to-resume-until-at-least-2021/ar-BB12zRR6

Taxpayers are prepared to wear the cost of getting those of us caught on the hop with this virus back home and into quarantine but once that's done it will be full user pays from then on.(Notice the NT stance already?) Like China now you could be up for 28 days worth with very sophisticated testing costs so get that through your thick scone right now jetsetters and I don't think we have to worry about the cruisers with all that scrap metal although the owners might salvage some for freighters.
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline Rodt

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2020, 12:34:56 PM »

Better in my pocket than theirs is the way I look at it  :cheers:

A lot of negatives get posted around the place in regards to cruises. I have been on two and never saw any of the issues such as gastro etc. Friends of mine have gone on about 10 all around the place and they haven't either. Don't doubt that they do occur but the actual number vs the amount of cruisers would be pretty low I reckon.

I don't prescribe to the thoughts that all cruise lines are dead because of this and would much prefer to look on the optimistic side. Only time will tell   

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2020, 01:04:55 PM »
When will 'the situation' return? Well here tis from the most experienced at that-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=0&v=gAk7aX5hksU&feature=emb_logo

So you can see where the Minister is coming from beginning to let the jetsetters down gently-
https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/australias-tourism-minister-issues-warning-international-travel-unlikely-to-resume-until-at-least-2021/ar-BB12zRR6

Taxpayers are prepared to wear the cost of getting those of us caught on the hop with this virus back home and into quarantine but once that's done it will be full user pays from then on.(Notice the NT stance already?) Like China now you could be up for 28 days worth with very sophisticated testing costs so get that through your thick scone right now jetsetters and I don't think we have to worry about the cruisers with all that scrap metal although the owners might salvage some for freighters.

"Carnival Corporation is headquartered in Miami, as are the second and third biggest cruise corporations, Royal Caribbean and Norwegian. But Carnival is incorporated in Panama, Norwegian in Bermuda, and Royal Caribbean in Liberia.

Now these "incorporations of convenience" threaten their survival. Their revenue has been cut to zero. The US Government is offering no assistance because they're foreign companies and their employees are spread across the world. Other governments are unlikely to do more.

Industry analysts say the big cruise operators have enough reserves to last six months. After that, if they don't secure funding, they face going out of business.
Sailing into the sunset

If that happens, many will not mourn the loss.

Long before this crisis, the cruise ship industry was on the nose for its social and environment problems.
"
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline Brij

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2020, 01:21:17 PM »
Be interesting to see how long the break is until the crap shows like I shagged so n so at first sight, the numpty wants a dog that is married to a pidgeon, fix my place and paint yours a horrid pink etc. are back terrorising our screens. The virus has been good to stop this rot, at least only temporarily............

Just wait until they start the reruns  >:D
NX Pajero
NJ Pajero (semi retired  to firewood harvesting duties)
Home made camper

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2020, 01:51:50 PM »
It won't be just the jet and cruise liner owners watching their values evaporating-
https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/world/fear-of-impending-car-price-collapse-grips-auto-industry/ar-BB12zMjI
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2020, 09:48:56 PM »
The mortgage lenders are now putting it in black and white to brokers and those in the RE industry not to waste paper with the following, as if the industry hadn't already guessed with the number of loan pre-approvals being subsequently refused after signing contracts to buy subject to that finance-

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2020, 11:29:26 AM »
Bolty asks the hard question- https://www.skynews.com.au/details/_6149510233001

Which is now very relevant for SA as like the NT before us we're experiencing no new Covid infections. Consequently SA Health is asking anyone with even the mildest flu like symptoms to get tested. Presumably to ferret out any asymptomatic cases and they have the testing capacity up to pace. Just that with such sniffle testing you'll have to go into lockdown for up to 48 hours until the test results come back all clear.

So Bolty makes a very good point and why can't SA and NT now join forces for free movement within and between those jurisdictions and back to work and the rest of you laggards can join us when you experience likewise? After all there's no threat from outside with international or interstate travel requiring quarantine now so let's get back to business and add other States in due course.

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
Once the situation returns to a somewhat acceptable way of life.
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2020, 12:23:03 PM »
Bigot gets on his high horse and tries to use his privileged position to influence politics and get his own way, again - https://www.skynews.com.au/details/_6149510233001

It could be argued that those enforcing these poorly planned laws are the ones on the power trip, more so then a couple of specific politicians and some opinionated columnists.

https://abc.net.au/news/2020-04-16/coronavirus-fines-police-powers/12146978?pfmredir=sm

Next on the list is removing all of our rights for privacy.
While the politicians will certainly be to blame for writing the laws removing these rights under the guise of the corona issue.
It will be the ones charged with enforcing those poorly planed laws that will be abusing their powers and looking into every aspect of your private life without justification.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 12:24:39 PM by Pete79 »

Offline Wazza999

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2020, 01:22:52 PM »
Federal minister Stuart Robert seems to be the one who will oversee the roll out of the Covid 19 contact tracing app. The possiblities with that are mind boggling.

2011 NT Pajero; 2007 Goldstream Crown 4B

NT Pajero/2007 Goldstream Crown

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2020, 01:47:21 PM »
Quote from: Wazza999
... roll out of the Covid 19 contact tracing app. The possiblities with that are mind boggling.

Pass me a foil hat - but that was my first thought.. not sure how it works.
How can an app can tell you you have or dont have, or the bloke next to you has it or doesnt or the bloke on other end of the phone has or doesnt have it. Wonder if its backed by huawei
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2020, 02:38:36 PM »
What I understand from reading the blurb is that it will track everybody, everywhere, all the time, then when you get identified as a carrier, they can track back everybody that's been in bluetooth range of your phone for the last 2 weeks, & send them a message "You have potentially been exposed, please come in & get tested" ???

& the logistics of that would be unbelievable :o

Offline Wazza999

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2020, 03:19:17 PM »
From what I have gleaned it's a contact trace, not location. So if two phones running the app are close enough for 15 minutes a (Bluetooth) contact will be registered, location not relevant. If in the future one of the two, records a positive test, the other person will be notified. Perhaps geolocated but not necessary for the system to work.

2011 NT Pajero; 2007 Goldstream Crown 4B

NT Pajero/2007 Goldstream Crown

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2020, 07:10:17 AM »
Tracking app info - https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/health-wellbeing/coronavirus-australia-how-covid-19-tracking-app-will-work-c-982093

“(It’s) simply an app or digital way of replicating a manual process,” Government Services Minister, Stuart Robert told Sunrise.

“Right now, if you’re (sic) tested positive for COVID-19, health officials will sit down and talk you through who you’ve been in contact with,” he said.

“The COVID trace app simply digitises that process, so if your app has been within 15 minutes duration of someone, within 1.5 metres proximity, there’ll be a swapping of phone numbers.

If you’ve been close to someone who’s later diagnosed with COVID-19, health authorities can let you know.
If you’ve been close to someone who’s later diagnosed with COVID-19, health authorities can let you know. Credit: Supplied
“That will stay on your phone and then of course if you test positive, you’ll give consent, and those numbers will be provided securely to health professionals and they’ll be able to call people you’ve been in contact with

On the tele last night there was talk that a relaxation of the social distancing rules might be dependent on at least 40% of the population having the app (the threshold for it to be considered effective)? and the talking heads also suggested that potentially it may become compulsory?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 07:12:31 AM by Spada »
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Zone Peregrine caravan.

Offline Kangaron

• "Don't make excuses, Make it Happen."
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2020, 10:53:23 AM »
Pass me a foil hat - but that was my first thought.. not sure how it works.
How can an app can tell you you have or dont have, or the bloke next to you has it or doesnt or the bloke on other end of the phone has or doesnt have it. Wonder if its backed by huawei

Via bluetooth it records everyone you come into close contact with.
So, if at a later stage you test positive,
the app can tell health Officials extactly who you have been close to, and they can trace the contacts, and test them and trace the source.

It is a tracing App, not a Tracking app.

It does not reveal locations, you can even turn the GPS Function on your phone off.
The app does not use it nor need it.

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2020, 11:00:47 AM »
you can even turn the GPS Function on your phone off.

Or turn bluetooth off!

Offline austastar

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2020, 11:45:51 AM »
Or turn bluetooth off!
Hi,
   That would stop it.
From what I understand.....
1/ It is a rolling data base of 20 day's contacts and holds the phone number of your 'close (bluetooth) contacts'
2/ The data stays on your phone until....
   a/ You present with symptoms and/or test positive.
   b/ Your phone shows as a contact with a person who has shown positive.
3/ You only upload the data when requested to do so. If you are not a contact, or not diagnosed, the data is not wanted.
4/  The data should expire as it rolls over 20 days with no Bluetooth contacts.

The above could be wrong.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Offline AllanK

• Swag User
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2020, 11:48:17 AM »
So how does it work when you have contact with some people who don’t have a mobile or aren’t carrying it on them at the time.🤔 Bugger, back to the drawing board. 😩

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2020, 11:57:13 AM »
Quote from: Spada
...  and the talking heads also suggested that potentially it may become compulsory?
heard the same thing
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2020, 12:09:37 PM »
Scotty has said No, it won't ::)