Author Topic: How to cope with the corona virus ..facts- not fiction.  (Read 302958 times)

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: How to cope with the corona virus ..facts- not fiction.
« Reply #500 on: April 02, 2020, 07:39:25 AM »
Yes Bigfish and it was called the Spanish Flu because unlike the WWI countries hiding their true death stats at home and in the trenches for war propaganda the Spanish reported their true deaths and consequently copped the naming. Well it's not a good look with the recruiting posters- 'Your country needs you to feed the flu pandemic'.

Meanwhile it seems we need the checkout chicks down at the Brissie wharves because the poor little petals in the wharfies union are afraid of the big bad virus-
https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/melbourne-wharfies-stood-down-after-refusing-to-unload-chinese-ship/ar-BB11ZhdR

Further to the wharfies, the union in charge of the baggage handlers in SA wants an inquiry in to how baggage handlers contracted Corona. WTF?
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #501 on: April 02, 2020, 08:51:03 AM »
Quote from: Pottsy
Further to the wharfies, the union in charge of the baggage handlers in SA wants an inquiry in to how baggage handlers contracted Corona. WTF?
sounds fair to me. Im tipping they are wondering if its not just person to person but item to person.. THAT would be a game changer.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline plusnq

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #502 on: April 02, 2020, 09:16:03 AM »
sounds fair to me. Im tipping they are wondering if its not just person to person but item to person.. THAT would be a game changer.

How could you tell? The problem with community transmission is we have no idea where it came from.

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #503 on: April 02, 2020, 09:16:50 AM »

I would have thought that all baggage would have sprayed as it was put into the hold.  The virus can live on stainless steel for 72 hours..( so I have read).
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #504 on: April 02, 2020, 09:25:57 AM »

It's certainly possible, this is a good vid on the transmission of viruses. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5-dI74zxPg

Pretty sure it's Australia's contribution to the video a 7:27  :(
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 09:31:57 AM by tryagain »

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #505 on: April 02, 2020, 09:33:38 AM »
Quote from: plusnq
How could you tell? The problem with community transmission is we have no idea where it came from.
That maybe why they want a enquiry into it.. Dig deeper - see if any of the recent passengers have had it etc...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline plusnq

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #506 on: April 02, 2020, 09:53:08 AM »
That maybe why they want a enquiry into it.. Dig deeper - see if any of the recent passengers have had it etc...

They will be doing that with the contact tracing anyway.

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #507 on: April 02, 2020, 11:53:11 AM »
https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2020-03-20/how-long-does-coronavirus-last-on-surfaces/12074330  maybe just maybe it was transmitted from contaminated baggage ??
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #509 on: April 03, 2020, 05:20:37 AM »
A very damning report of the World Health Organisation..

https://www.news.com.au/finance/economy/world-economy/coronavirus-world-health-organisation-accused-of-parroting-chinese-propaganda/news-story/1b8b339912d5e5a05006925f834822b9

I think many people will view china in a different light once this virus is put to sleep...
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #510 on: April 03, 2020, 08:11:05 AM »
A very damning report of the World Health Organisation..

https://www.news.com.au/finance/economy/world-economy/coronavirus-world-health-organisation-accused-of-parroting-chinese-propaganda/news-story/1b8b339912d5e5a05006925f834822b9

I think many people will view china in a different light once this virus is put to sleep...

Yup The Who like fina were pandering to the almighty Chinese dollar. The global bureaucracy's like this and the UN are just global sink holes for cash and largely ineffectual today . The sooner there gone the better.
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #511 on: April 03, 2020, 08:12:49 AM »
All of this investment advise and superannuation talk is absolutely riveting stuff......
I’m sure if I was 30 years older I’d be all over this retirement thread. ;)

As far as the coronavirus goes, there’s some shocking statistics on this site.
It’s pretty much live and you can filter by the different columns.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

The graphs are pretty much as the models had been forecasting this thing to play out.

Although that page has au at 28 deaths ! Thought we were at 24?
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #512 on: April 03, 2020, 08:27:20 AM »
When you look at this graph it shows that we seem to be doing pretty well, compared to many others..  Hopefully a little pain for long term gain

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life's to short to drive a boring vehicle.
« Reply #513 on: April 03, 2020, 08:42:48 AM »
When you look at this graph it shows that we seem to be doing pretty well, compared to many others..  Hopefully a little pain for long term gain

This one is better IMO.   :cheers:

https://www.covid19data.com.au/
2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2009 Coromal 452
2002 Commodore SS (The Toy)

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #514 on: April 03, 2020, 09:02:39 AM »
Todays Coronacast was pretty good.

https://podcasts.google.com/?feed=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuYWJjLm5ldC5hdS9yYWRpby9wcm9ncmFtcy9jb3JvbmFjYXN0L2ZlZWQvMTIwMTcyNDgvcG9kY2FzdC54bWw&episode=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuYWJjLm5ldC5hdS9yYWRpby9wcm9ncmFtcy9jb3JvbmFjYXN0L3doYXQtc3lwaGlsaXMtYW5kLW1lYXNsZXMtY2FuLXRlbGwtdXMtYWJvdXQtY29yb25hdmlydXMtZW5kZ2FtZS8xMjExNjE5Mg&hl=en-AU&ved=2ahUKEwjKiqGo7MroAhX0wTgGHQhsBncQieUEegQIARAE&ep=6

or just search for:

coronacast 3 April 2020

:cheers:
2009 Coromal 452

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #515 on: April 03, 2020, 09:17:45 AM »
Todays Coronacast was pretty good.

https://podcasts.google.com/?feed=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuYWJjLm5ldC5hdS9yYWRpby9wcm9ncmFtcy9jb3JvbmFjYXN0L2ZlZWQvMTIwMTcyNDgvcG9kY2FzdC54bWw&episode=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuYWJjLm5ldC5hdS9yYWRpby9wcm9ncmFtcy9jb3JvbmFjYXN0L3doYXQtc3lwaGlsaXMtYW5kLW1lYXNsZXMtY2FuLXRlbGwtdXMtYWJvdXQtY29yb25hdmlydXMtZW5kZ2FtZS8xMjExNjE5Mg&hl=en-AU&ved=2ahUKEwjKiqGo7MroAhX0wTgGHQhsBncQieUEegQIARAE&ep=6

or just search for:

coronacast 3 April 2020

Interesting - is that on the ABC site?

First thing I saw was
What syphilis and measles can tell us about the coronavirus endgame
on Coronacast

LOL
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #516 on: April 03, 2020, 09:27:58 AM »
Interesting - is that on the ABC site?

https://www.abc.net.au/radio/podcasts/

I spend a lot of time there...

2009 Coromal 452

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #517 on: April 03, 2020, 09:34:32 AM »

Aye!
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #518 on: April 03, 2020, 09:35:59 AM »
https://www.abc.net.au/radio/podcasts/

Whats wrong with listening to Kochie..?????? ;D ;D ;D

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #519 on: April 03, 2020, 09:41:31 AM »
Thats fair enough too I'd say.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison says the 16,000 Australians who left the country after "do not travel" advice was issued are unlikely to "find themselves high on the list" to be returned.

The Prime Minister told radio broadcaster Alan Jones this morning he was "bewildered and frustrated" when he read the figure, which was released by the Department of Home Affairs yesterday.

-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline wakychapmans

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #520 on: April 03, 2020, 10:53:29 AM »

The Prime Minister told radio broadcaster Alan Jones

at this point I ceased reading...
Wayne & Kyria Chapman
(+ Tucker & Monty the Samoyeds)
www.youtube.com/@morepawstravels/about
105 series Landcruiser 1HZ (soooooo much power)
1994, Supreme Getaway 14' (a "renovators dream")
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=56736.0
2 x titanium fatbikes with 4.8" tyres

Offline Kangaron

• "Don't make excuses, Make it Happen."
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #521 on: April 03, 2020, 12:43:28 PM »
Thats fair enough too I'd say.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison says the 16,000 Australians who left the country after "do not travel" advice was issued are unlikely to "find themselves high on the list" to be returned.

The Prime Minister told radio broadcaster Alan Jones this morning he was "bewildered and frustrated" when he read the figure, which was released by the Department of Home Affairs yesterday.

Can't be bothered re typing the info so a blatant copy and paste;

There has been a lot of criticism about 16,000 Australians who left Australia after the government WARNED against it, and amazement that 3,800 Australians left after it was actually BANNED. These have been represented as irresponsible tourists travelling on reduced airfares (the word tourist often being applied to all of them), and it has been implied that we will have to pay to bring them all home.

A lot of this is media hype (I know because I have been in this sort of situation). Nearly a million Australians travel overseas every month normally, so the 16,000 is a small percentage (1.6% of normal approx.). Some were idiots without question, but I would be surprised if that was more than a few thousand at most. Firstly - like me in the past - nearly 400,000 Australians LIVE overseas. I did so for 12 years, and I periodically came home to visit friends and family. In a situation like this, one heads "home", which for so many Australians is outside Australia. Secondly, approaching one million Australians normally fly out of Australia each month for various purposes (nearly 100,000 for business purposes), so 16,000 is really miniscule and a much larger proportion of these than normal could have been for business (including some from government). These were exempted from the warning (those who had urgent business reasons). Then as for the "amazing" 3,800 Australians who left after travel was finally banned (not just a warning), they all had to get a permit from government to do so (so were probably overseas residents still here, and travellers on urgent business, or had compassionate grounds for travel - whatever, the government considered their reasons valid, and none would have been tourists). Lastly, DFAT warnings to not travel to certain countries exist ALL the time for a number of countries, and usually have to be ignored for business purposes - some of us have jobs that require us (and Australian politicians) to travel to those countries. Much of the time these have included parts of countries like Russia, much of central Asia etc. - and if you have family still living in Lebanon or the Ukraine, you are hardly likely to never visit them again.

Not only will we be unlikely to have to pay to have them all return, it has also become obvious that many needing help overseas who are tourists, flew out BEFORE even a warning was given, and have been trying since to return.

The blame game again - we are in trouble so lets look for a scapegoat (with the media and Credlin-types driving the feeding frenzy). I have no trouble with charging anyone who can be shown to have truly been an idiot, but not others, and in practice it is cheaper not to have an investigation into each individual case but instead just give them a seat on one plane flying Australians out of any overseas country where many of them need help. Even if they have to pay for their stupidity, I would still give them a seat - stupidity should not carry a death sentence (as it may well, in parts of the Third World).

Offline plusnq

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #522 on: April 03, 2020, 02:14:18 PM »
Can't be bothered re typing the info so a blatant copy and paste;

There has been a lot of criticism about 16,000 Australians who left Australia after the government WARNED against it, and amazement that 3,800 Australians left after it was actually BANNED. These have been represented as irresponsible tourists travelling on reduced airfares (the word tourist often being applied to all of them), and it has been implied that we will have to pay to bring them all home.

A lot of this is media hype (I know because I have been in this sort of situation). Nearly a million Australians travel overseas every month normally, so the 16,000 is a small percentage (1.6% of normal approx.). Some were idiots without question, but I would be surprised if that was more than a few thousand at most. Firstly - like me in the past - nearly 400,000 Australians LIVE overseas. I did so for 12 years, and I periodically came home to visit friends and family. In a situation like this, one heads "home", which for so many Australians is outside Australia. Secondly, approaching one million Australians normally fly out of Australia each month for various purposes (nearly 100,000 for business purposes), so 16,000 is really miniscule and a much larger proportion of these than normal could have been for business (including some from government). These were exempted from the warning (those who had urgent business reasons). Then as for the "amazing" 3,800 Australians who left after travel was finally banned (not just a warning), they all had to get a permit from government to do so (so were probably overseas residents still here, and travellers on urgent business, or had compassionate grounds for travel - whatever, the government considered their reasons valid, and none would have been tourists). Lastly, DFAT warnings to not travel to certain countries exist ALL the time for a number of countries, and usually have to be ignored for business purposes - some of us have jobs that require us (and Australian politicians) to travel to those countries. Much of the time these have included parts of countries like Russia, much of central Asia etc. - and if you have family still living in Lebanon or the Ukraine, you are hardly likely to never visit them again.

Not only will we be unlikely to have to pay to have them all return, it has also become obvious that many needing help overseas who are tourists, flew out BEFORE even a warning was given, and have been trying since to return.

The blame game again - we are in trouble so lets look for a scapegoat (with the media and Credlin-types driving the feeding frenzy). I have no trouble with charging anyone who can be shown to have truly been an idiot, but not others, and in practice it is cheaper not to have an investigation into each individual case but instead just give them a seat on one plane flying Australians out of any overseas country where many of them need help. Even if they have to pay for their stupidity, I would still give them a seat - stupidity should not carry a death sentence (as it may well, in parts of the Third World).

Source?

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #523 on: April 03, 2020, 03:40:35 PM »
This one is better IMO.   :cheers:

https://www.covid19data.com.au/
That one is a bit skewed with the logarithmic scale on the left. Looks like things are levelling when it is still climbing father each day.
Also try to compare absolute number with Australia and China. Should instead per per capita  per 1,000,000 people.
2013 Aussie Jays - Crusher      2013 Toyota Hilux. 

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #524 on: April 03, 2020, 04:26:33 PM »
http://www.mygc.com.au/aust-top-doctor-fears-global-virus-cases-actually-10-times-higher/

"We’ve now passed a million reported cases of COVID 19,” Dr Murphy said. [worldwide!]

"We believe the true number is probably five to 10 times that"  :o :'(
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday