Author Topic: Interesting read on electric cars  (Read 142741 times)

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
Re: Interesting read on electric cars
« Reply #575 on: July 28, 2022, 01:52:52 PM »
Having had the displeasure of travelling the QLD M1 highway mess, NSW border to points north numorous times recently ..We're finding we come up on slower traffic [ us travelling at or near  posted speed  ] when we can ..
No big deal, Generaly these cars are doing say on average 20 kph below the posted / average flow of traffic speeds .. 
Sitting behind another couple  the other day in the traffic cue " It clicked and the light bulb blinked on  "  these cars are EV's ..
Not saying all are slow, not the case ... But its the drivers who have picked up their nice new little Golf Buggy and are watching the battery level gauge drop, like hawks ..
The reason behind the 15 > 20 kph drop off in speed Im thinking is "  Range Anxiety  " Not too many chargers around this end of the coast .. Less speed slower the battery  drops ... Bingo each trip so far ..
Coincidence not sure but its just not on the M1 either, noticed it around our towns roads too ..
« Last Edit: July 28, 2022, 10:23:25 PM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #576 on: July 28, 2022, 05:03:06 PM »
Funny i've noticed the opposite with a few Tesla drivers, who accelerate as fast as they can.  Sort of defeats the purpose
2013 Aussie Jays - Crusher      2013 Toyota Hilux. 

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #577 on: July 29, 2022, 07:29:32 AM »
A mate had this up on FacePlant yesterday, so make of it what you wish ... ???

I recently did some work for the body corporate at the Dock 5 Apartment Building in Docklands in Melbourne to see if we could install a small number of electric charging points for owners to charge their electric vehicles.

We had our first three applications and we discovered:
1.      The  building has no non-allocated parking spaces ie public ones. This is typical of most apartment buildings so we cannot provide shared outlets.
2.      The power supply in the building was designed for the loads in the building with virtually no spare capacity. Only 5 or 6 chargers could be installed in total in a building with 188 apartments!!
3.      How do you allocate them as they would add value to any apartment owning one. The Shit-fight started on day one with about 20 applications received 1st day and with many more following.
4.      The car park sub-boards cannot carry the extra loads of even one charger and would have to be upgraded on any floors with a charger as would the supply mains to each sub- board.
5.      The main switch board would then have to be upgraded to add the heavier circuit breakers for the sub mains upgrade and furthermore:
6.      When Docklands was designed a limit was put on the number of apartments in each precinct and the mains and transformers in the streets designed accordingly.
This means there is no capacity in the Docklands street grid for any significant quantity of car chargers in any building in the area.
7.      It gets better. The whole CBD (Hoddle Grid, Docklands) and Southbank is fed by two sub stations. One in Port Melbourne and one in West Melbourne.
This was done to have two alternate feeds in case one failed or was down for maintenance. Because of the growth in the city /Docklands and Southbank now neither one is capable of supplying the full requirement of Melbourne zone at peak usage in mid- summer if the other is out of action. The Port Melbourne 66,000 volt feeder runs on 50 or 60 year old wooden power poles above ground along Dorcas Street South Melbourne. One is pole is located 40 cm from the corner Kerb at the incredibly busy Ferrars /St Dorcas St Intersection and is very vulnerable to being wiped out by a wayward vehicle.
The infrastructure expenditure required would dwarf the NBN cost & that’s not including the new power stations required!
These advocates of electric vehicles by 2040 are completely bonkers! It takes 5-8 years to design and build a large coal fired power station like Loy Yang and even longer for a Nuclear one (That’s after you get the political will, permits and legislative changes needed). Wind and solar just can’t produce enough. Tidal power might but that’s further away than nuclear.
MOST AUSTRALIANS DON’T UNDERSTAND THIS YET……………..!
It's just a Greenie’s dream for the foreseeable future, other than in small wealthy countries.
The grid simply cannot support it in most places in Australia!
An agenda driven by stupid Greenies and supported by stupider Politicians.
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #578 on: July 29, 2022, 07:35:38 AM »
I'm sure Greenies believe that the world can be powered by two AA batteries...
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline Foo

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #579 on: July 29, 2022, 09:09:14 AM »

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :cup:

Foo
So long as you have tried your best, you should have no regrets.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #580 on: July 29, 2022, 10:41:10 AM »
Quote from: GeoffA

dont you mean CR2032 buttons?
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline austastar

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #581 on: July 29, 2022, 11:19:54 AM »
Hi,
   Has anybody done a study to convert the volume of our daily retail fuel sales to the electrical equivalent.
Can that demand be met?
If we don't  have an overlapping excess for the transition period, the likely result will be an electricity shortfall resulting in a lot of unhappy voters.
I know 2 families powering their EVs from off grid solar, but they dont live in the big cities.
Cheers

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #582 on: July 29, 2022, 11:42:13 AM »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home
The following users thanked this post: NZMarkb

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #583 on: July 31, 2022, 01:02:28 PM »
The Greenies have a PLAN to answer all your concerns-
https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/advocates-say-two-wheeled-evs-a-cheaper-greener-option-to-de-carbonise-transport/ar-AA108LFQ
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #584 on: August 01, 2022, 07:37:16 AM »
I can't actually disagree with them there! :o

Since I've got my trike, I'm using it for lots of short trips for appointments, to pick up just a few grocery items or a script from the chemist & similar.

Up to ~5k trip, it's proven to be as fast as the car in travel time, & sometimes, like when you can ride across this foot-bridge, rather than drive all the way around the lake, it's half the time!

No, you obviously can't do the fortnights groceries, & similar big, heavy, bulky jobs, but every little bit helps! (especially with diesel still sitting in the 220s! :'( >:()

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #585 on: August 02, 2022, 03:05:30 PM »
Seems I have a co worker tesla fan boy owner ..According to fanboy his $70 K    Tesla has a one charge range of 1250 km [ he paid extra for a larger battery for xtra km  ] .
Charges from an ordinary 240v wall plug at a servo to full in  15 minutes ..
Cant ubderstand why anyone wouldnt want to go to an EV ....
He must have got the one off      " Rainbow Fairy Dust  Unicorn special edition Tesla "  ...... Ferkin Muppet .
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #586 on: August 02, 2022, 03:50:26 PM »
I can't actually disagree with them there! :o

Since I've got my trike, I'm using it for lots of short trips for appointments, to pick up just a few grocery items or a script from the chemist & similar.

Up to ~5k trip, it's proven to be as fast as the car in travel time, & sometimes, like when you can ride across this foot-bridge, rather than drive all the way around the lake, it's half the time!

No, you obviously can't do the fortnights groceries, & similar big, heavy, bulky jobs, but every little bit helps! (especially with diesel still sitting in the 220s! :'( >:()

Hey Fizzie, what brand of trike do you have?
Cheers
Pottsy
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #587 on: August 02, 2022, 06:19:07 PM »
Missus has an ebike and it's true they can certainly get you around without raising a sweat.
As for those of us owning diesel fourbies and cars with 91 petrol at $1.52 in Adelaide vs $2.06 for diesel you have to think petrol hybrids are the future since EVs have their problems even if you can afford them-
https://www.forbes.com/sites/neilwinton/2022/01/09/electric-car-crusaders-must-acknowledge-problems-or-the-revolution-will-fail/?sh=3fbcd2a73c44
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #588 on: August 03, 2022, 07:28:05 AM »
Hey Fizzie, what brand of trike do you have?
Cheers
Pottsy

This beastie, Pottsy

https://dctrike.com/

Didn't come with the accessories shown though! (Which is possibly just as well ??? ;D)

Very stable & easy to use, but I can tell you that 25kph standing like that feels fast! 8)

Designed & assembled here on the GC!

I got the 500W model, but 250W at ~$600 less would have probably been fine.

Any ???, please ask.

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #589 on: August 03, 2022, 07:51:33 AM »
Thanks Fizzie, interesting, another option but I think the bride might need to park the rear end to be a bit more stable.
Though they do look like fun

Cheers
Pottsy
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)

Offline NZMarkb

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #590 on: August 03, 2022, 08:09:58 AM »
This beastie, Pottsy

Didn't come with the accessories shown though! (Which is possibly just as well ??? ;D)

Very stable & easy to use, but I can tell you that 25kph standing like that feels fast! 8)

They look pretty cool :cup: :cup:
That or an electric skateboard  :cheers:

Any ???, please ask.
If your not prepaired to stand behind our troops
Then feel free to stand in front of them

Offline Kangaron

• "Don't make excuses, Make it Happen."
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #591 on: August 03, 2022, 10:30:04 AM »
Here in Victoria any scooter/trike etc with a motor of 200 watts or more, or capable 0f 10kph or more is classified as a motor vehicle., helmets must be worn, so rego applies, road rules apply [yes drink driving].
Lots of blokes buying these after losing their licenses think they can go to the pub.
At the moment every state has different rules, limits etc.

Bu, they do look like fun.

Offline austastar

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #592 on: August 03, 2022, 12:41:23 PM »

Bu, they do look like fun.
Hi,
   Mrs has had a bee in her bonnet over e-scooters for ages. Just not practical for where we live or go.
With the help of no2 son she got the Beam App on her phone  and we went to try one.
Yep, dead easy to ride and about the same speed as I used to cycle BUT...
Twitchy, can't take a hand off the bars to snatch a glance back over the right shoulder.
No suspension on solid tyres.
$13 for about 8km.
Definitely not as pleasant (on the flat at least) as the push bike.
Cheers

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #593 on: August 04, 2022, 02:51:37 PM »
but I think the bride might need to park the rear end to be a bit more stable.

Did you watch the included video: ? Zip through till about the 30 second mark & check out grandma!

can't take a hand off the bars to snatch a glance back over the right shoulder.

I found the same thing, so got a pair of https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/111723168578, & have one set up hanging down under the right hand bar, where I can see any traffic coming up behind 8)

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #594 on: August 04, 2022, 03:25:29 PM »
Yeah, nah , bad balance issues and f…ed shoulders from falls already, sitting will be a safer option I’d reckon when the time comes. I like them though. Could be a bit of fun.

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #595 on: August 04, 2022, 04:32:11 PM »
Yeah, nah , bad balance issues and f…ed shoulders from falls already, sitting will be a safer option I’d reckon when the time comes. I like them though. Could be a bit of fun.

Agree, with mobility issues, standing is not the best.  Sitting is better. 
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #596 on: August 04, 2022, 10:21:39 PM »
This beastie, Pottsy

Any ???, please ask.

But these can only be ridden on private property !
Suppose it’s ok if you live at a retirement village etc !
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #597 on: August 05, 2022, 07:16:00 AM »

Agree, with mobility issues, standing is not the best.  Sitting is better.

Know what you both mean! :'(

They have also built them with a slightly modified deck so you can roll a wheelchair up onto it, lock it in place & then ride away! The bloke was saying that the reaction from people that have suddenly had mobility for the first time is amazing ;D :cup:

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #598 on: August 05, 2022, 07:19:59 AM »
But these can only be ridden on private property !
Suppose it’s ok if you live at a retirement village etc !

Road (& footpath!) legal in Qld at least, & when I asked, they said they've sold quite a few into NSW & haven't yet heard of anybody having problems with :police:.

They suggested that you go into TNSW (that's their name this week, isn't it ???) & ask for a ruling, & if thy say no, ask why, as e-scooters are legal in NSW & this can classify as a scooter as can be manually pushed!

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #599 on: August 05, 2022, 10:00:45 AM »
Know what you both mean! :'(

They have also built them with a slightly modified deck so you can roll a wheelchair up onto it, lock it in place & then ride away! The bloke was saying that the reaction from people that have suddenly had mobility for the first time is amazing ;D :cup:

There has been this type of attachment for wheel chairs for a while now.   https://rgkwheelchairs.com/wheelchairs/power-solutions/triride.html

With their trike, they easily could include a seat on it. 
Cheers

Al and/or Jan