Author Topic: Interesting read on electric cars  (Read 143818 times)

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Interesting read on electric cars
« Reply #475 on: October 29, 2021, 06:54:45 AM »
& there's been a lot of discussion that hooking EVs up to power your house will also be needed very helpful as coal power stations retire & we all start moving over to renewable energy.

Noticed from that article though, that other things that void your warranty include:

"Driving over uneven, rough, damaged or hazardous surfaces including curbs, potholes, unfinished roads ..."

Well, that stuffs them for use in Oz then! >:D
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #476 on: November 08, 2021, 02:58:57 PM »
Can't wait :D

A hi-tech electric car has broken down at the worst possible time trapping motorists for hours inside a shopping centre carpark.

A Tesla has trapped motorists in a shopping centre car park after the vehicle ran out of battery at the worst possible time.

Motorists were stuck at the exit of the five-storey Westfield car park in London after the vehicle ran out of charge while trying to exit the building.

The story went viral on Reddit after a user, called Henry, posted about the lengthy wait time.
https://www.news.com.au/technology/tesla-breaks-down-at-the-worst-possible-time-trapping-10-cars/news-story/0126433c6be1fc51f1433c6c73124f5f
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #477 on: November 09, 2021, 06:11:42 AM »
Motorists were stuck at the exit of the five-storey Westfield car park in London after the vehicle ran out of charge while trying to exit the building.

Am I missing something??? couldn't you just put it in neutral and push it out of the way?
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Zone Peregrine caravan.

Offline sparksy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #478 on: November 09, 2021, 10:49:12 AM »

A hi-tech electric car has broken down at the worst possible time trapping motorists for hours inside a shopping centre carpark.

A Tesla has trapped motorists in a shopping centre car park after the vehicle ran out of battery at the worst possible time.

You would think with all the smarts put into a Tesla that they would have a reserve capacity for such a situation.

Offline DrewXT

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #479 on: November 09, 2021, 10:57:13 AM »
You would think with all the smarts put into a Tesla that they would have a reserve capacity for such a situation.

I thought they did, but you have to ring Tesla to get it "unlocked" so you can move it...
2013 Amarok Highline
2015 Customline Adventure Walkup

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #480 on: November 09, 2021, 10:59:15 AM »
But when you've presumably watched a "fuel" gauge tick down from full to empty, while ignoring the (I assume) warnings coming up on to say you only have xxx% / yyy k left, then an emergency reserve would be pretty pointless ???

Offline shanegtr

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Offroad80s
« Reply #481 on: November 09, 2021, 11:09:24 AM »
I fail to see how an electric vehicle running out of charge is any different to a normal car running out of fuel in regards to blocking a road/access etc... Surely you would just push the thing out of the way and let everyone else through. Obviously a fuel car is a little easier to get going again with a jerry can however, but you could always get the electric car towed on the road and use the regen to charge it up ;D

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #482 on: November 09, 2021, 11:57:54 AM »
Can't wait :D

The story went viral on Reddit after a user, called Henry, posted about the lengthy wait time.
https://www.news.com.au/technology/tesla-breaks-down-at-the-worst-possible-time-trapping-10-cars/news-story/0126433c6be1fc51f1433c6c73124f5f
Normal cars do a better job then that.

An Audi managed to shut down most of Sydney for pretty much a whole day when it broke down in the harbor tunnel and the vehicle safety features locked all 4 wheels. A normal tow truck couldn’t budge it and it took hours to get a bigger truck in there to drag it out.

That was 9 years ago, so hardly a electric cars thing…..

https://www.drive.com.au/news/audis-electrical-fault-brings-sydney-traffic-to-a-halt-20120214-1t4y7/

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #483 on: November 09, 2021, 01:59:29 PM »
But when you've presumably watched a "fuel" gauge tick down from full to empty, while ignoring the (I assume) warnings coming up on to say you only have xxx% / yyy k left, then an emergency reserve would be pretty pointless ???

Asked the question on another forum, where I know a couple of people drive Teslas:

"Yep, I've not tested it myself, but I've seen YouTube video's of it. At a certain percentage (around 5% I think) the car goes into a low power mode, reducing the maximum speed to 50kmph and it turns off most of the environmental controls.

Note that most modern Tesla's have spare battery capacity below the 0% mark which is around 30-50kms."

I'm thinking that this is sounding more like a "Lets make Tesla look bad" exercise, rather than a real happening ???

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life's to short to drive a boring vehicle.
« Reply #484 on: November 09, 2021, 02:07:52 PM »
Apparently if their battery is really dead you cant access the screen menu and put it into Park and move it....  And if you flat tow the things without following their exact procedures you void your warranty...

Although plenty of videos of them being re-charged at speed by towing...
2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2009 Coromal 452
2002 Commodore SS (The Toy)

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #485 on: November 09, 2021, 06:02:43 PM »
I know nothing about this technology,
Listening to a bloke on radio today explaining how it all works.
I'm more confused then before.
Charging watts, usage(km), time charging.
I just Hope it doesn't become a political Shite storm.
https://youtu.be/LQiOA7euaYA
« Last Edit: November 09, 2021, 06:04:19 PM by Hairs »
You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #486 on: November 10, 2021, 09:32:58 AM »
You may not have much choice about electric or not if you're going to be buying a new car!

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-11-10/which-cars-going-all-electric-and-when/100529330

Offline bmwfreak

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • DunWerkin
« Reply #487 on: November 15, 2021, 06:21:36 PM »
JC at his PI (if you are a politician) best >:D >:D
https://youtu.be/PBcyAUtDTD8
We've waited 45 years to do this. Now our life will be complete!!
2019 LC78 (troopy)
2018 21’6” On The Move TRAXX Series 2

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #488 on: November 16, 2021, 09:34:00 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KmsVytiMDg    8) ;D
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User

Offline austastar

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #490 on: November 22, 2021, 02:26:02 PM »
https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2021-11-22/petrol-stations-can-they-survive-electric-car-uptake/100627312

Hmmm ???
Hi,
    I think suburban and city servos will be most affected in the short term as many of their customers will have other options to charge EVs.
Remote roadhouses will need to invest in greater generation and storage as ICE vehicles decline. No doubt they will sell more food and drinks as customers wait while charging.
Cheers

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Offline spadge

• Swag User
« Reply #491 on: November 22, 2021, 03:15:26 PM »
All the photos of the chargers in that article were Australian made and designed.

Offline plusnq

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #492 on: November 22, 2021, 04:49:42 PM »
Hi,
    I think suburban and city servos will be most affected in the short term as many of their customers will have other options to charge EVs.
Remote roadhouses will need to invest in greater generation and storage as ICE vehicles decline. No doubt they will sell more food and drinks as customers wait while charging.
Cheers

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

I think you are probably right. They will need more facilities for people to wait but there’s not much profit in petrol anyway so the model will just be for extended stays while charging. Business centre, Food, showers , massage etc

Offline JD-120

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #493 on: November 23, 2021, 09:22:05 AM »
outside the city i reckon the servos will need to adapt and offer both. Didnt Ampol just win some tender to deploy 500 or so at their stations?? think I remember seeing an article about that.

Suburbs will change IMO to having more charging points at places like Maccas, Coffee Clubs, sporting facilities etc.. just another industry about to be disrupted
Cheers

Justin

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #494 on: November 23, 2021, 09:37:12 AM »
Good thing those Ducks are safe... Don't worry about swerving into that oncoming B Double that might be coming other way... or standing on the brakes, with the Double behind you :D :D :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw598__3y7E :cup: :cup: :cup:
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 10:32:11 AM by Bird »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline JD-120

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #495 on: November 23, 2021, 03:05:02 PM »
lol, good point Bird ahhahaha

this is a super long thread, not sure if this has been posted yet. Bit of a laugh for Tuesday arvo ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmCjWZ6URH0
Cheers

Justin

Offline sparksy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #496 on: November 28, 2021, 10:52:22 AM »
Interesting article in todays Sunday Times.  explains how a EV actually produces more emissions than a normal combustion engine.

https://edition.thewest.com.au/html5/shared/ShowArticle.aspx?doc=WAN%2F2021%2F11%2F28&entity=Ar05503&sk=F98CC3D4&mode=text

Offline l0ckym

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #497 on: November 28, 2021, 11:17:23 AM »
Interesting article in todays Sunday Times.  explains how a EV actually produces more emissions than a normal combustion engine.

https://edition.thewest.com.au/html5/shared/ShowArticle.aspx?doc=WAN%2F2021%2F11%2F28&entity=Ar05503&sk=F98CC3D4&mode=text

Yeah, but he's thinking about it in entirely the wrong way.
True - mining yet more rare earth materials to make batteries - is polluting in its own right.
True - with Australia's mix of energy, charging EV's will likely come from Coal/Gas first - although this is rapidly evolving.

The reason he's wrong - is he's treating an EV, like any ordinary ICE vehicle.  Fuel up, drive to destination, fuel up, drive to destination.
EV's of the future probably aren't like this, they are charging whenever they are stopped - their batteries become part of the grid itself, and 98% of trips are well within an EV range.  You can hire an ICE vehicle if you need to.  Which brings me to my next point - why own any of these things - they'll be automated, and on uber like service. The thing will just turn up to your driveway charged, and take you where you need to go, then it'll go off and do the next job, or be charged or be serviced.

Remember the iPhone was only released in 2007 - and for better or worse has disrupted many industries that we could never have guessed at the time (like taxis & uber).  EV's will be the same, policy settings will help - but ultimately the market will drive it for cost/efficiency/convenience (if the market is left to be truly free - which is one political persuasion, but they only like free market economics when it does what they want).

Owning a car won't be the same, journeys won't be the same, the methodology won't be the same - so attributing todays behaviours to it, will never look particularly good.

2005 Nissan X-Trail ST
2008 Mountain Trail Camper

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #498 on: November 28, 2021, 05:12:26 PM »
...... Which brings me to my next point - why own any of these things - they'll be automated, and on uber like service. The thing will just turn up to your driveway charged, and take you where you need to go, then it'll go off and do the next job, or be charged or be serviced...

Yep. Just like taxis. Nothing new.

But with networks being hacked etc, would you want to get into one??
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #499 on: November 29, 2021, 09:51:58 PM »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "