Author Topic: Sovereign bbqs any good ?  (Read 3992 times)

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
Sovereign bbqs any good ?
« on: May 06, 2018, 09:53:16 AM »
Love the Weber but a change of van is dictating the need for a smaller bbq and it’s only for two now so looking the sovereign bushman and wondering people’s thoughts.

It’ll be for both steaks and roasting.

Edit there’s also another called the sizzler that looks good
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 09:56:43 AM by achjimmy »
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Sovereign bbqs any good ?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 12:05:45 PM »
Love the Weber but a change of van is dictating the need for a smaller bbq and it’s only for two now so looking the sovereign bushman and wondering people’s thoughts.

It’ll be for both steaks and roasting.

Plenty of yachties  use sovereigns, obviously they cope with windy weather, pretty good reputation by all accounts.
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 04:44:15 PM »
Very expensive ( for me anyway ) and I have been looking at one on ebay that has a slightly larger plate than that Sovereign....which will fit in my side locker of the van with about 5mm to spare.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-Euro-Grand-MARINE-BBQ-Portable-Boat-Gas-Barbeque-Stainless-Steel-Caravan/322437384105?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2018, 05:59:35 PM »

The sizzler range are a good bit of gear from an Australian manufacturer, Port Stephens NSW and should be for consideration.
https://www.marinebarbecues.com.au/product/sizzler-deluxe-low-lid/

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2018, 06:07:02 PM »
The sizzler range are a good bit of gear from an Australian manufacturer, Port Stephens NSW and should be for consideration.
https://www.marinebarbecues.com.au/product/sizzler-deluxe-low-lid/

Yeah looking at them to rags. The sovereign has the better wind protection imo with the pop up sides.

Hey rags if one was installed in a slideout situation like on some campers. Is a gas bayonet installed in the tunnel and the bbq left  permentaly connected to it  legal ?

Jim

Offline lukeycat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2018, 08:14:48 PM »
We have a sovereign on our kk it's been pretty reliable only thing I'd prefer is a cast iron hot plate I find the heat transfer on the stainless is a bit hit and miss and things like to stick to it, haven't tried to do a roast yet as we use our camp oven for that, I reckon if ya added a thermometer then it would be pretty easy to cook a roast in, as far as quality of the product goes it's a solid bit of kit with really good stainless manufacturing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline cetacean

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2018, 07:48:44 AM »
We have a Sovereign Outback slide-out barbie on the Trakmaster, it's a fantastic bit of kit and all you really for an outside kitchen. We have the stainless oven wire as well, not much you can't cook in it really. One of my favourite features of the van :cup:
Mazda BT50, Trakmaster Sturt X-- Country, Stacer 369 Seasprite

Offline HKB Electronics

• Hard Top Camper User
  • www.hkbelect.com
    • HKB Electronics
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2018, 09:10:35 AM »
We have just purchased a Magma kettle, went for that as it is very light weight, smaller than a ziggy, and can be used as a
BBQ or an oven which is big enough to cook a chicken in.
HKB Electronics, manufacturer of the Alternator Voltage Boosters

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2018, 08:42:58 PM »
Yeah looking at them to rags. The sovereign has the better wind protection imo with the pop up sides.

Hey rags if one was installed in a slideout situation like on some campers. Is a gas bayonet installed in the tunnel and the bbq left  permentaly connected to it  legal ?

No, but it could depend on the installers interpretation of "inside the caravan/camper".
AS/NZS 5601 states a quick connect device (QCD) (bayonet) shall not be installed inside the caravan/camper.  I would think that installed in the tunnel or boot would imply installed inside the caravan. A QCD for a camper is normally external of the caravan/camper.
For a hose assembly to be permanently connected, you would need to ensure that the hose would not be subject to stress,abrasion, kinking or permanent deformation. Also for a permanent connection of an appliance using a hose, requires a threaded connection at each end of the hose assembly.
The following users thanked this post: achjimmy

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2018, 08:46:42 PM »
No, but it could depend on the installers interpretation of "inside the caravan/camper".
AS/NZS 5601 states a quick connect device (QCD) (bayonet) shall not be installed inside the caravan/camper.  I would think that installed in the tunnel or boot would imply installed inside the caravan. A QCD for a camper is normally external of the caravan/camper.
For a hose assembly to be permanently connected, you would need to ensure that the hose would not be subject to stress,abrasion, kinking or permanent deformation. Also for a permanent connection of an appliance using a hose, requires a threaded connection at each end of the hose assembly.

Thanks mate

So yeah a threaded connection is not an issue.

Jim

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2018, 09:17:51 PM »
Thanks mate

So yeah a threaded connection is not an issue.

Jim, I think the words are something along the lines of  "a threaded connection or other metal connection". It could be argued that a "other metal connector" could be a QCD and male connection end to insert into the QCD.
Aust Standards are always open to interpretations.
In NSW ithe gas fitter certifies his work and it is highly unlikely to be audited, so you don't end up in a debate of gasfitters v regulator, so if you have a good gasfitters then you are infront.
The following users thanked this post: achjimmy