Author Topic: One for the IT Boffins  (Read 23669 times)

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
Re: One for the IT Boffins
« Reply #75 on: September 21, 2021, 11:51:10 AM »
does pretty much everything better than windows 7, but like every OS, it's not perfect.

your printer issues sound like driver issues... willing to bet it isn't a direct windows 10 issue...  printing over wifi can be problematic, regardless of printer manufacturer... plenty of variables (NIC drivers, printer drivers, router configurations, etc)...

but hey, whatever works.

and comparing a laptop to an ipad is really comparing apples and oranges...

Printer issues were the same with hard wired as well.
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #76 on: September 21, 2021, 12:32:34 PM »
I just gave up on wifi, luckily new house has network ports in each room
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #77 on: September 21, 2021, 01:03:24 PM »
Printer issues were the same with hard wired as well.

which only takes out wifi...

doesn't rule out anything else i mentioned... NIC drivers, printer drivers, router configurations, etc

not sure if you had the problem professionally diagnosed, but different computers and different printers is very weird...

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #78 on: September 21, 2021, 01:04:19 PM »
I just gave up on wifi, luckily new house has network ports in each room

wifi, in general?  or just printing?

i just re-did our new house with ubiquiti gear and it's awesome... no wifi dead spots...

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #79 on: September 21, 2021, 02:14:19 PM »
Quote from: paceman

i just re-did our new house with ubiquiti gear and it's awesome... no wifi dead spots...
Pretty much in general. I have no requirement to rely on it :)

TV's, PC's,  Nvidia Shield, xbox all cabled. I had the old house cabled up too - and TV antenna outside.

Sometimes might laptop on the lounge with wifi but you can't beat cable connection for reliability.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #80 on: September 21, 2021, 02:15:46 PM »
I know, and not really fair on the laptop…or win10 to be more precise.

Like comparing a Ferrari to a push bike. !!

Fire them both up from scratch……iPad is ready to use in 10 secs.  Laptop in 1 minute, if you’re lucky.
Open a website…..iPad 1 second…..laptop, 5 secs all going well.

Running Linux Mint 19.3, with a SSD in the laptop, about 14 seconds to go from power on to usable on a Toshiba L50, but it depended how quick you could type your password. To load a webpage it obviously depends on the site and internet speed.
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan. I miss being able to acces the little tracks off into the scrub.

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #81 on: September 21, 2021, 02:17:45 PM »

I just moved my router closer to the centre of the house, and put a WAP in the shed... no deadspots in the house or the shed   ;D
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan. I miss being able to acces the little tracks off into the scrub.

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #82 on: September 21, 2021, 02:18:25 PM »
Pretty much in general. I have no requirement to rely on it :)

TV's, PC's,  Nvidia Shield, xbox all cabled. I had the old house cabled up too - and TV antenna outside.

Sometimes might laptop on the lounge with wifi but you can't beat cable connection for reliability.

no doubt cabling is the best option, but not always available/possible...

wifi is getting better all the time, with the right gear...

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #83 on: September 21, 2021, 02:21:33 PM »
I know, and not really fair on the laptop…or win10 to be more precise.

Like comparing a Ferrari to a push bike. !!

Fire them both up from scratch……iPad is ready to use in 10 secs.  Laptop in 1 minute, if you’re lucky.
Open a website…..iPad 1 second…..laptop, 5 secs all going well.

how old are the laptops?  as previously mentioned, an SSD can make a huge difference.

turn the ipad completely off and then turn it on... an ipad hardly ever gets turned off... makes a huge difference...

i've got a new windows 10 laptop for work.  HP Zbook... from off to ready in about 10 seconds...

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #84 on: September 21, 2021, 02:24:38 PM »
which only takes out wifi...

doesn't rule out anything else i mentioned... NIC drivers, printer drivers, router configurations, etc

not sure if you had the problem professionally diagnosed, but different computers and different printers is very weird...

2 different printers ( both HP ), 2 different laptops ( HP and Toshiba ), router must be OK because the iPad prints fine. Would there be 2 different drivers ? Yes . Don’t know what a NIC driver is, so gets back to Win10.
Why does win10 need a driver to talk to a printer when an iPad doesn’t ?
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #85 on: September 21, 2021, 02:29:05 PM »
how old are the laptops?  as previously mentioned, an SSD can make a huge difference.

turn the ipad completely off and then turn it on... an ipad hardly ever gets turned off... makes a huge difference...

i've got a new windows 10 laptop for work.  HP Zbook... from off to ready in about 10 seconds...

Ah, is that desktop open, but are all the app/progs ready to go?.. fastboot can give a bit of a false indication of bootup and "ready"

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #86 on: September 21, 2021, 02:40:40 PM »
Quote from: gronk
2 different printers ( both HP ), 2 different laptops ( HP and Toshiba ), router must be OK because the iPad prints fine. Would there be 2 different drivers ? Yes . Don’t know what a NIC driver is, so gets back to Win10.

There are more and more generic drivers these days that work on something and not on others... We sometimes have massive issues when we roll out new printers at work with specialized printing in the lab.

the windows machines, were they fresh installs, or upgrades from 7?
How old are all the devices? PC/Printer etc
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #87 on: September 21, 2021, 03:06:51 PM »

Yep, I meant from completely off.
So, you can open a web page in 10 seconds ?
My 2 laptops would take at least a minute or more….and I’ve wiped and reinstalled win 10 on both.
Ones a HP elite book 8440 and the other a Dell something ?? This one I’ve just started another clean wipe and reinstall….it’s a slow piece of garbage ..
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #88 on: September 21, 2021, 03:20:18 PM »
Ones a HP elite book 8440 and the other a Dell something ?? This one I’ve just started another clean wipe and reinstall….it’s a slow piece of garbage ..

We had 8440's several years ago, they are OLD... They came out in 2010. Of course it will be slow as piss.. we threw out all our 8440s at work long ago.
Your not comparing an old old old old old laptop with an Ipad?
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #89 on: September 21, 2021, 04:12:21 PM »
We had 8440's several years ago, they are OLD... They came out in 2010. Of course it will be slow as piss.. we threw out all our 8440s at work long ago.

OK, learn me……an old old laptop with i5 core, and a “new” win10 install…….what makes them slow ?

My old older Toshiba with win7 used to run faster than the 2 “newer” laptops ??

But after using the 3 mth old iPad, there is no way I’m going back to a laptop for general web browsing.
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #90 on: September 21, 2021, 04:43:26 PM »

just because the ipad prints, doesn't necessarily mean that the router is absolved...

NIC is network card driver. 

the ipad has a driver as well, just a different one.

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #91 on: September 21, 2021, 04:44:20 PM »
Ah, is that desktop open, but are all the app/progs ready to go?.. fastboot can give a bit of a false indication of bootup and "ready"

pretty much...

once i can see the desktop (network login not withstanding), i can open apps...

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #92 on: September 21, 2021, 04:46:06 PM »

that's what i was getting at earlier....

comparing old laptops (even 5 years old) to ipads is not a fair fight...

willing to bet something is wrong with those laptops, or they just are grossly underpowered in the RAM & HDD areas...

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #93 on: September 21, 2021, 04:49:11 PM »
OK, learn me……an old old laptop with i5 core, and a “new” win10 install…….what makes them slow ?
Introduced in 2009, the Core i5 line of microprocessors are intended to be used by mainstream users.
There are different speeds of I5..  They have got faster over time.. original ones are slow as piss compared to modern.

But after using the 3 mth old iPad, there is no way I’m going back to a laptop for general web browsing.
Your comparing  10yr old laptop to a 3mth old iPad?
I dont think I've seen a comparing an apple to a jar of Vegemite more than this. Think of it as a HB Torana trying to tow your van compared to your cruiser.

I'd recommend smashing the thing to bits if a 3 month old Ipad/laptop/anything wasn't faster than a 10yr old laptop... Modern I3 would be faster than the 10yr old I5.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #94 on: September 21, 2021, 04:51:25 PM »

My old older Toshiba with win7 used to run faster than the 2 “newer” laptops ??

CPU (i5 core) is only one component of the laptop... and not necessarily the most important, when it comes to speed...

RAM and HDD type (SSD, mechanical, M.2) are as equally (if not more) important.

of course a 3 month old ipad (with it's flash memory storage) is going to be faster than most new laptops today.  that also has to do with the OS that each is running.  the tablet OS (iOS) has little to no overheads, compared to windows, macOS or linux, running on a laptop.

easier to just bash the OS (or ignore other PEBKAC issues, with all due respect), when it might have very little to do with the laptop speed issues...

Offline bmwfreak

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • DunWerkin
« Reply #95 on: September 21, 2021, 04:52:16 PM »
The majority of windows devices will be running antivirus of some sort. This is the main slowdown point for them in my experience. I do 95% of my ‘computer’ time on an iPad. I just can’t be bothered waiting for a 3 year old PC any more, unless I have to for app reasons.
We've waited 45 years to do this. Now our life will be complete!!
2019 LC78 (troopy)
2018 21’6” On The Move TRAXX Series 2

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #96 on: September 21, 2021, 04:55:22 PM »
The majority of windows devices will be running antivirus of some sort. This is the main slowdown point for them in my experience. I do 95% of my ‘computer’ time on an iPad. I just can’t be bothered waiting for a 3 year old PC any more, unless I have to for app reasons.

for sure... that's why i haven't run any for 10 years now...

not one virus/malware issue...  a bit of user education goes a long way to stopping malware...

plus, windows offers a MUCH larger attack vector than other OS's, just because of its install base... so hackers concentrate on it, to get a larger payoff...

if other OS's were as popular over the years, they would have similar issues with malware/viruses...

no OS is perfect when it comes to security...

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #97 on: September 21, 2021, 06:00:01 PM »

Only antivirus I have is whatever comes with win10.
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #98 on: September 21, 2021, 06:14:22 PM »

Your comparing  10yr old laptop to a 3mth old iPad?

But my point was/is, the equally as old Toshiba running win7 was pretty fast and certainly quite liveable with compared to the “newer” laptops I have.

2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #99 on: September 21, 2021, 06:20:28 PM »
that's what i was getting at earlier....

comparing old laptops (even 5 years old) to ipads is not a fair fight...

willing to bet something is wrong with those laptops, or they just are grossly underpowered in the RAM & HDD areas...

Surely they didn’t take minutes to fire up when new ? When you say grossly underpowered……is that in todays terms or did they sell laptops yrs ago that were grossly underpowered ??

When you say PEBKAC issues…..I don’t even know if you’re swearing at me or not ??   ;D
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra