Author Topic: Netflix V's Stan  (Read 8584 times)

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
Netflix V's Stan
« on: April 21, 2017, 11:42:13 AM »
Yeah I know this has been discussed before, but in the ever changing world of the internet and streaming tv I've got to ask , which streaming service do you use and why ?

I've tried "Kodi" and sometimes it's good, and sometimes it's woeful, so I'm looking at the paid options  :'(

cheers Keith  :cheers:
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Re: Netflix V's Stan
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 11:46:08 AM »
Quote from: xcvator
... sometimes it's good, and sometimes it's woeful, so I'm looking at the paid options  :'(

We have been having that discussion at work this week actually...
What I can figure out is you will find all of them have their moments, and the nights where they purely suck - free or paid service :(

also depends on what you wanna watch.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline wakychapmans

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 12:02:24 PM »
currently we have both Stan and Netflix.

it was only the other day that I realised that I've not actually logged into Stan for almost 4 months.

So we canned it.

Netflix seems to have everything we need.

Also worth noting (depending on your viewing habits and entertainment tastes), that Disney recently signed an exclusivity deal with Netflix. So as all their "current" distribution agreements expire, all Disney, Lucasfilm, (Indiana Jones, Star Wars) and all Marvel content will switch to Netflix.

Rumour of the year last year, was that Disney were going to buy Netflix.

But that one is well trumped by last weekends rumour that Apple is considering buying Disney... (and Netflix)

Wayne & Kyria Chapman
(+ Tucker & Monty the Samoyeds)
www.youtube.com/@morepawstravels/about
105 series Landcruiser 1HZ (soooooo much power)
1994, Supreme Getaway 14' (a "renovators dream")
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=56736.0
2 x titanium fatbikes with 4.8" tyres

Offline MDS69

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 12:06:55 PM »
We have Netflix. I will always find something to watch on it. Over Easter I binge watched about 4.5 hours of the Hatfield and McCoys mini series. I am up to season 2 of 4 of an American show called Longmire. A bit like Blue Heelers but grittier. There has been some other movies I have enjoyed. The kids 14G and 11B are always watching something and the wife likes it.
Netflix and Stan both have exclusive access to the good stuff like Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones etc and also produce their own content.

We don't have Foxtel.

Offline areyonga

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 12:14:24 PM »
I have Netflix, plenty there for me
Toyota Landcruiser 200, Olympic Marathon 22.6 van

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 12:22:22 PM »
We're with Netflix. Is it awesome? No. It doesn't have all the shows on it we want to watch, but we're not that into TV anymore anyway and usually just stick it on for some mindless entertainment. We don't have trouble finding something to watch on Netflix so it serves our needs.

Pretty sad that they canned "Nashville" after 2 seasons though... Can't even watch them on it anymore, so must have removed the show completely. Probably a good thing, as the show was just an addictive soap opera with a country music theme, really. ;)

We also watch a fair bit of catch up TV. Channel 10 seem to keep roughly a month's worth of TV on their catch up app which is on our Apple TV, so that's useful. Its nice to know that if shows we like are on at times that don't suit we can just watch them later.
Trinity (+ James + Mister Dog)
'04 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Wagon + '06 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Coil Cab Ute + '18 Ultimate Xplor GT Camper

www.bulldustandbackroads.com

Offline richo9923

• Swag User
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 12:28:12 PM »
if you have a smart tv that you can connect to a web browser then 123movies.is is all you need, and the bonus of watching on your tv is that no tracking cookies...

Offline Ben.Archer

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 12:33:30 PM »
We are on Netflix but seem to mostly watch their home grown series, designated survivor etc...

But....

With Amazon rumoured to be coming over here this year there is a good chance we will soon have Amazon prime as that gives free Amazon shipping plus access to their TV and Music services.
2015 Land Rover Discovery 4
2000 90 Series Toyota Prado RV6
2013 MDC Off Road Step-Through V3 - Heavily modded and I am only just starting :-)

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 12:50:31 PM »
Living remote we have stan , netflix, goggle movies, redtube oops forget that last one  ;D

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 01:17:50 PM »
and the bonus of watching on your tv is that no tracking cookies...

I wouldn't be so sure about that...

Basically anything that is connected to the internet has a way to track you, and ISP's will retain metadata about what you access.
'04 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Wagon + '06 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Coil Cab Ute + '18 Ultimate Xplor GT Camper

Offline richo9923

• Swag User
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2017, 02:22:18 PM »
I wouldn't be so sure about that...

Basically anything that is connected to the internet has a way to track you, and ISP's will retain metadata about what you access.

true i suppose what i mean is that its not as likely to get a virus or have your email filled full of junk

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2017, 02:55:25 PM »

true i suppose what i mean is that its not as likely to get a virus or have your email filled full of junk

That is true... for now. ;)

I wouldn't give it long before those lovely creatures who write viruses and other malicious kinds of codes will find a way to target the "internet of things". If there's a motivation to do so, they will find a way... Sad but true... Just read the likes of this article (http://www.networkworld.com/article/2976270/internet-of-things/smart-refrigerator-hack-exposes-gmail-login-credentials.html) about hacking a fridge to gain access to your Gmail account.

I'm a very big fan of "smart" devices and the concept of the "internet of things" but I think security is still pretty lax with a lot of them. A lot of manufacturers are considering the benefits and marketing points and not so much security. It is definitely an area gaining a lot more recognition, but a LOT of work needs to be done in that area.

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2017, 03:00:38 PM »
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/technology/consumer-security/bose-headphones-have-been-spying-on-customers-lawsuit-claims-20170419-gvo8pq.html

This kind of stuff happens ALL the time.

Just like Facebook tracking what websites you access when you leave their site - ever wondered how Facebook knows how to give you "relevant content" ads? For a while I tried browsing the internet with cookies disabled but for the likes of my university website it was simply painful (a lot of sites with login credentials were, actually). You can have your browser set to "do not track" but it is up to the individual websites to decide if they want to respect that or not (and really, do you think they will?).

A lot of this material is used for targeted marketing purposes more than more sinister reasons, but even so...

And this discussion has quickly gone off topic to the Internet of Things and privacy concerns with the internet at large... LOL.

Offline Ben.Archer

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2017, 03:05:44 PM »
That is true... for now. ;)

I wouldn't give it long before those lovely creatures who write viruses and other malicious kinds of codes will find a way to target the "internet of things". If there's a motivation to do so, they will find a way... Sad but true... Just read the likes of this article (http://www.networkworld.com/article/2976270/internet-of-things/smart-refrigerator-hack-exposes-gmail-login-credentials.html) about hacking a fridge to gain access to your Gmail account.

I'm a very big fan of "smart" devices and the concept of the "internet of things" but I think security is still pretty lax with a lot of them. A lot of manufacturers are considering the benefits and marketing points and not so much security. It is definitely an area gaining a lot more recognition, but a LOT of work needs to be done in that area.

You just have to look at the CVE lists to see how many viruses, bugs, trojans, worms and other nasties are already in IOT devices.  They are the worst protected group of internet connected devices on the market.  If you want to really frighten yourself all you have to do is peek under the covers and find that many of them are stupid enough to use hard coded root access for user level tasks and there are pages and pages of those passwords floating around the net. 
2015 Land Rover Discovery 4
2000 90 Series Toyota Prado RV6
2013 MDC Off Road Step-Through V3 - Heavily modded and I am only just starting :-)

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2017, 03:18:32 PM »
There's also some great articles out there about how ANYTHING with a camera (smart TV, computer, phone, etc. etc.) can be manipulated to spy on you.

I remember reading an article about James Comey putting tape over his webcam...

Offline Chris.

• Tent User
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2017, 03:23:43 PM »
we have both, they're that cheap it just makes it worthwhile.

Offline jmorgan1981

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • It was that last beer!!!!
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2017, 03:36:42 PM »
We are on Netflix but seem to mostly watch their home grown series, designated survivor etc...

But....

With Amazon rumoured to be coming over here this year there is a good chance we will soon have Amazon prime as that gives free Amazon shipping plus access to their TV and Music services.

I have signed up to Amazon Prime. I like it but there isn't much content on it yet. I have noticed a couple of extra shows in the last few weeks.

We also have netflix. The best thing about it is the ease of use.
2017 Mazda BT-50 XT
2014 Kimberley Kamper LE

Offline Throbbinhood

• Tent User
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2017, 04:09:37 PM »
We just swap every month or two, change it up.

Offline DrewXT

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2017, 08:29:14 PM »
We use Exodus on Kodi... Haven't found a single movie or TV show episode we couldn't find and watch yet

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2013 Amarok Highline
2015 Customline Adventure Walkup

Offline dales133

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2017, 06:42:23 AM »
Ive got both.
They both have alot of crap on them and also both have shows unique to them.
Stans worth it just for better call saul

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Offline Chris.

• Tent User
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2017, 08:29:50 AM »
Stans worth it just for better call saul

I watched this up until about the end of the first season, it never appeared to get close to Breaking Bad, Saul never seemed to reprise his role as he was in BB... did it get any better?

Offline dales133

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2017, 08:33:04 AM »
Yea i realy enjoyed it.
First 2 episodes of season 2 are out now.
Its sort of the story of saul before breaking bad and its building up to be pretty good i recon.
Quiet funny in parts too

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Offline Chris.

• Tent User
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2017, 08:55:28 AM »
cheers I might give it another go as I loved BB.

Offline hawks667

• Swag User
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2017, 01:03:14 PM »
Before Netflix cracked down and implemented some decent geo-blocking, with the use of a VPN, you had a world of stuff to watch...Now, its somewhat less....But it will only get better as the Aus subscriber base grows..

And lets not forget the dark side of Torrents....
Prado 120 with all the fruit pulling an Aussie Jays Crusher.