Author Topic: Camper trailer insurance  (Read 4016 times)

Offline Alan Loy

• Hard Floor Camper User
Camper trailer insurance
« on: February 15, 2017, 01:27:36 PM »
I couldn't find anything recent so

I'm soon to take delivery of a new Tvan  ;D and of course I want to insure it wherever I drag it.  Any suggestions for a company with reasonable premiums whilst paying when they should?

Offline Malcur

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Camper trailer insurance
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 03:26:05 PM »
I have a new Lifestyle AT-12 on order so will be looking for insurance also. Will keep an eye on this thread.

I had my previous soft-floor camper insured with CIL for 9 years. No complaints. They paid out promptly on a claim I had 7 years ago when the axle broke.

Mal

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 04:47:49 PM »
Quote from: Malcur
I had my previous soft-floor camper insured with CIL for 9 years. No complaints. They paid out promptly on a claim I had 7 years ago when the axle broke.

So directly from that you wouldn't go back with them???
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 07:33:16 PM »
Club4x4 came out just ahead of CIL when I insured mine, a bit more coverage for about 20% less.

Offline Rainsey

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 07:53:52 PM »
I had my 2013 Tvan insured through TCIS. On renewal I compared it with Club 4x4 and they were a tad ( like only 10's of dollars more) but a less liability cover and a higher excess.

Regardless, I opted to go with Club 4x4 anyway as I have my tug insured through them and I figured if I was going to make a claim, it might also be a claim on the tug, and its easer to go with the same company.

Cheers
Rainsey

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Offline Julian Kaye

• Tent User
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 07:12:51 AM »

Best advice I can give is to make sure you have your car and trailer insured through the same people. I have mine through GIO and they have good comprehensive options and reasonable price.

Offline Aaron Schubert

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • 4WDing Australia
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 07:48:54 AM »
Club 4x4 for me. Fantastic options for 4WD's, and plenty for camper trailers/caravans too.

They offer variable contents cover, so you can set it to what you carry within the camper, theft at camp and have a 'laid up' option so if you leave your caravan at home for 6 months the premium drops.

My camper insurance was cheaper with Club 4x4 than RAC, with a much better cover

Aaron
My Isuzu Dmax

Check out my blog at 4WDing Australia

TimE

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 07:59:19 AM »
In my experience it seems to matter where you live and if you are renewing an existing policy.  I used CIL on my old KK for 1 year, their renewal had a hefty "lazy tax".  Moved onto AAMI.

Each year I do the ring around of the majors, for my Vista XL AAMI have been the cheapest premium for the past 2 years (I have a house and contents policy with them so that helped the price).  However, on insurance for my GU Patrol, 4.2l diesel, Coles was by far and away the best, cover all my accessories and the agreed value is $20,000 higher than Club 4x4 would "agree" to,  TCIS wanted my first born + to insure the Patrol for about 1/2 its worth.

So, my recommendation is sit down with the phone and ring around, don't be afraid to ring back and ask if a "favourite" can do better when you have better quotes from others.

Offline LB

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2017, 08:38:04 AM »
We are with NRMA because we have everything with NRMA. Will find out shortly as we are going to put in a claim for a opsie moment with the camper and the garage pylon.

Have heard on other forums people have had issues when the car and trailer are not insured with the same people.
2017 BT-50 GT
Kimberley Kamper Platinum 2013

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2017, 08:42:07 AM »
Quote from: TimE
their renewal had a hefty "lazy tax".
They all do this.. they expect most people to just pay it and move on these days.

So, my recommendation is sit down with the phone and ring around, don't be afraid to ring back and ask if a "favourite" can do better when you have better quotes from others

Even ringing your current insurer as a "new" client will get you a cheaper price as they think they want your business that they already have ;).
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Malcur

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2017, 09:32:38 AM »
So directly from that you wouldn't go back with them???

Yes I would. Very happy with their service.

Mal

Offline lowflyer

• Swag User
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2017, 10:54:50 AM »
I have found that actually calling some of them they will put the premium up over using the net. Few years ago while renewing the policy for my old jeep i did a heap of online quotes from various companies including the company I originally had it insured with. I used a fake name/number online as did not want them calling and pestering me afterwards. Called up my original company to get it renewed expecting the price I was quoted online and the came back with one much more expensive. I asked the girl,why as I was quoted on the net the same details a different price and was told it is always cheaper to do it on the net. So I got her to cancel what we had just spent the last 15 min going over and re did it on the net for the cheaper price.

Offline Alan Loy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2017, 10:13:46 AM »
Thanks for all that folks!  :cup:

Interestingly Track suggests CIL & Club 4X4

Offline tracker

• Hard Top Camper User
  • If you can throw a ball...Be able to catch one !!!
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2017, 02:37:22 PM »
Club 4x4 for me. Fantastic options for 4WD's, and plenty for camper trailers/caravans too.

They offer variable contents cover, so you can set it to what you carry within the camper, theft at camp and have a 'laid up' option so if you leave your caravan at home for 6 months the premium drops.

My camper insurance was cheaper with Club 4x4 than RAC, with a much better cover

Aaron

X2
Toyota Prado....- ( Fantasy F3SL Hybrid  Van)