Author Topic: Kayaks advice on buying?  (Read 8549 times)

Offline MattRC

• Learning the Ropes
Re: Kayaks advice on buying?
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2016, 04:44:07 PM »
Very hard to find a more stable kayak the the Hobie PA series. Serious fishing platforms. Stand up in them all day casting etc

Offline wedwards

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2016, 09:33:27 AM »
Hobie's are great but the good fishing ones are heavy! A lighter non-fishing kayak can have rod holders and stuff added most times, but a heavy fishing kayak can't have its weight removed. I say this owning 2 Jackson fishing kayaks that are lighter than the hobies (big tuna for me and coosa for my son), and even they are pretty darn heavy to get on and off the top of my tradie trailers ladder racks. I built a roller out of pvc pipe to assist with getting them on and off and that helps heaps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MattRC

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2016, 09:43:27 AM »
Hobie's are great but the good fishing ones are heavy! A lighter non-fishing kayak can have rod holders and stuff added most times, but a heavy fishing kayak can't have its weight removed. I say this owning 2 Jackson fishing kayaks that are lighter than the hobies (big tuna for me and coosa for my son), and even they are pretty darn heavy to get on and off the top of my tradie trailers ladder racks. I built a roller out of pvc pipe to assist with getting them on and off and that helps heaps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep the Hobie PA are heavy but with the right set up they are easy to get up on the roof. Im only short at 5'5" but have no problem getting the PA 12 up on the roof of my lifted Pajero. I just use a Rhino side loader, which is just basically a bar that extends your front rack off the side of the car. Then all you have to do is lift one end at a time. Very easy once you have done it once or twice.

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2016, 10:11:01 AM »
Very hard to find a more stable kayak the the Hobie PA series. Serious fishing platforms. Stand up in them all day casting etc
Massive primary stability is great for fishing sheltered water and standing up, but as soon as the wind gets up and it becomes choppy it counts against you very quickly. This is where a PA and a proper kayak with secondary stability part ways. The sea kayaker will start having fun and the pa peddler will start to die. Yank fishing tubs like PA's should come with big warning stickers about not venturing out of protected waters. They are great at what they are designed for, but they shouldn't even be called kayaks in my opinion. This is posted more as a warning to the OP than anything else.

Offline MattRC

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2016, 10:26:22 AM »
Massive primary stability is great for fishing sheltered water and standing up, but as soon as the wind gets up and it becomes choppy it counts against you very quickly. This is where a PA and a proper kayak with secondary stability part ways. The sea kayaker will start having fun and the pa peddler will start to die. Yank fishing tubs like PA's should come with big warning stickers about not venturing out of protected waters. They are great at what they are designed for, but they shouldn't even be called kayaks in my opinion. This is posted more as a warning to the OP than anything else.
Yeah that is true but that being said, the PA will handle a bit of chop fine. We often use ours in Port Phillip Bay without issue. You just need to know yours and the Yaks ability and head in before either are exceeded. They certainly are not the ideal ocean going Kayak but they are not limited to just a mill pond either. Still would pick something else for a more dedicated offshore rig.

Offline Mrs smith

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2016, 01:08:57 PM »
Have a look at the Cobra range.

http://www.kayaksonline.net/brands/Cobra

Offline celibaterifle

• Swag User
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2016, 06:01:27 PM »

Sit on yaks have their short comings too, you WILL get wet, there are a lot of cheap and nasty ebay specials out there that are downright dangerous but people buy them because they don't know better ( I was 1 of them )

I rest my case

cheers Keith

Hi Keith, just wondering if you explain the above a bit more? Am in the market for a cheap kayak to see if it's something I'll get into and just curious as to why the cheap Chinese yaks are dangerous.

Thanks
Jim
Jim

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2016, 07:55:26 PM »
Hi Keith, just wondering if you explain the above a bit more? Am in the market for a cheap kayak to see if it's something I'll get into and just curious as to why the cheap Chinese yaks are dangerous.

Thanks
Jim

Suggest you have a read of this http://vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=20882&hilit=ebay+kayaks

cheers Keith  :cheers:
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline celibaterifle

• Swag User
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2016, 07:00:44 PM »
Cheers Keith

Jim