Author Topic: Pioneer Mitchell - anyone seen one?  (Read 9623 times)

Offline Alan Loy

• Hard Floor Camper User
Pioneer Mitchell - anyone seen one?
« on: November 20, 2015, 12:27:33 PM »
I haven't heard about the Mitchell.  Looks similar to a Tvan but is obviously a different product  http://www.pioneercampers.com/Products/7/69/Mitchell

I love the pop top, I always wondered why the Tvan didn't have one.

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
Re: Pioneer Mitchell - anyone seen one?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 01:47:34 PM »
For the money, I can't see the advantage over something like the Tvan.. Looks to be a bit heavier as well ?
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Alan Loy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 02:31:05 PM »
I agree it's hard to beat a Tvan that's why I'm interested in what they are like.

About 300kg heavier but I think it comes with more fruit.

Offline leachy_9

• Swag User
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 02:48:52 PM »
There is some observations and comparisons with a Tvan in this Tracktrailer thread http://www.tracktrailerforums.com/index.php?topic=1890.0
Bare in mind it is a Tvan forum so the comments may not be completely unbiased.

Offline Dirt Devil

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 04:30:47 PM »
Hi all, I have been researching the Tvan for some time now and have come across the new Pioneer Mitchell and comparing the two.
I have just sold the Windsor rapid off road as the wife is no longer interested in doing big trips anymore due to health reasons.
The thing that puts me off these types of trailers is the cooking on the side. I did have this setup on the Rapid under the awning but it seems you need to go to some trouble to have shelter out of the weather if  the conditions are not to your liking.
I have often thought there should be a rear cook top for this reason.
To make room I asked the sales guy if the bed could be turned sideways but can not do.
Has anyone else thought about this?

cheers DD.

jeffr

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016, 05:23:24 PM »
I have a TVan: rotating the bed is not an option, they are simply not wide enough.

Agree using the stove in bad weather without one of the awnings set-up is a weakness for these campers (all campers, probably). I think the Ultimates have an internal kitchen as well as an external slide out; but of course they also take longer to set-up and so would (probably) take the same time as to set-up one of the TVans awning options.

I have seen a Mitchell "in the wild", and at a few shows. They look good, but I still prefer my TVan - by a long way.

Offline Dirt Devil

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2016, 08:46:44 PM »
Thanks for your reply Jeffr, I was looking at the specs fpr the new Tvan and noticed it was 1950 wide. A double bed mattress is only 1800 long so would have thought it was doable, that still leaves 150mm for wall thickness. I do not think the walls are 75mm thick, correct me if im wrong.
Also thought you could have an insert to mattress/bed so to widen for a queen size that may be drops down.
How wide is yours Jeffr?

jeffr

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2016, 11:29:40 PM »
I'll measure the inside width in the morning.

But irrespective of how many millimeters it across the inside of my MK3 TVan, putting a bed sideways in a TVan just ain't right...if it's raining and we need to cook and no awning is set-up over the slide-out kitchen, we just use a light weight propane burner on a table inside the drop down tent, or cook under the vehicle's awning (my vehicle is set-up to support light, tent-based camping independent of the TVan if we want to travel without towing) .

Some TVan owners rig-up a ARB Quick Awning or similar over the left hand side of the TVan: seems like a much simpler solution than reconfiguring the interior of a TVan. Goto the TVan Forum and search for "Quick Awning Brackets" if your interested.

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2016, 11:38:43 PM »
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

jeffr

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2016, 11:44:13 PM »
Thx Robert, to hard to put in links on my iPhone 🙄

jeffr

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2016, 11:29:08 AM »
My TVan MK3 interior measures 1820mm across at the nose, tapering slightly to 1780mm measured at the leading edge of the window frame, and back out to 1800mm across measured the rear point of the Windows.

My measurements are a bit rough, give or take 20mm...

As a reference point though, my pillow-top queen sized mattress in my TVan is 2000mm long.

Offline Dirt Devil

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2016, 08:54:04 PM »
Thanks for that Jeffr, I did not realize they tapered at the front, I was just going off the measurements  on the site for TVans.
I am beginning to understand why the salesman may think Im a nutter.
Could I bother you again for the inside length please.
I  would just like a little more room in length, ( as most of us men) and turning the bed would have been ideal for me.

cheers Shane.

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2016, 09:06:34 PM »
Shane, these Tvans do have bed extensions as an option.
Comes with a removable tray at the bed end and a bolster that fits at the same height as the mattress.
There are support rails fitted on each side, inside, that the extension sits on.
There is definitely room for another 600mm of bed if you need it.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,

jeffr

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2016, 06:20:44 PM »
The total length of the interior is 2.6m   

Offline Dirt Devil

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2016, 08:40:14 PM »
Thanks you have been a great help.

cheers Shane.

Offline DrewXT

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2016, 10:50:03 PM »
Can someone with a TVan do me a massive favour, and measure the floor under the tent?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

2013 Amarok Highline
2015 Customline Adventure Walkup

jeffr

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2016, 08:33:50 AM »
2.2m

Offline Julian Kaye

• Tent User
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2016, 08:57:26 AM »

It may be a baby boomer thing but out at the Big Red Bash last month there were over 100 Track Trailer owners, the vast majority T-Van owners. We had six different owners ask to have a look through our Lifestyle AT-12 EVO because they were looking for the comfort that a hard shell and interior toilet/shower provided in a hybrid camper. Also spoke to a Pioneer Mitchell owner (thought it was a T-Van when I first saw it) who was on his first trip and he was very positive about it, although he did say it was heavier than he would like, but it was a quality looking bit of gear. I'd just say that they both are great looking quality campers but maybe lacking in home comforts if that's what you're used to.

Offline DrewXT

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2016, 09:39:35 AM »
2.2m
Thank You... Is that length or width?
2013 Amarok Highline
2015 Customline Adventure Walkup

jeffr

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2016, 02:49:28 PM »
Thank You... Is that length or width?

Length.

Its 2.2m long by 1.7 wide.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 03:09:53 PM by jeffr »

Offline BaseCamp

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Shake & Bake BB!
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2016, 04:59:07 PM »
It may be a baby boomer thing but .......    We had six different owners ask to have a look through our Lifestyle AT-12 EVO because they were looking for the comfort that a hard shell and interior toilet/shower provided in a hybrid camper.

Well seeing you mentioned this JK; I can confirm that every single time I have been free camping somewhere; I have always had campers from other rigs come up to me and "interview me" about my AT-11....    Sometimes it can be a swarm of interested folk...     Its always a little bit stressful though, because I am still learning the ropes of caravan/hybrid camping; and always seem to be arriving someplace at  4pm to 6pm; and am always under the pump to get the thing set up...     (I used to just put it down to them being friendly, or bored - but now I am not so sure...??)

(Anyway - sorry to be off-topic...)   
You get out and in to the world -- you take more @#&$. …You climb a little higher, ..you take less @#&$.  …Till one day -- you're up in the rarefied atmosphere -- and you've forgotten what @#&$ even looks like….  Welcome to the layer cake son.

jeffr

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2016, 07:58:19 PM »
Well seeing you mentioned this JK; I can confirm that every single time I have been free camping somewhere; I have always had campers from other rigs come up to me and "interview me" about my AT-11....    Sometimes it can be a swarm of interested folk...     Its always a little bit stressful though, because I am still learning the ropes of caravan/hybrid camping; and always seem to be arriving someplace at  4pm to 6pm; and am always under the pump to get the thing set up...     (I used to just put it down to them being friendly, or bored - but now I am not so sure...??)

(Anyway - sorry to be off-topic...)   

People are naturally sticky-beaks, and lots of people want a tour of my camper just as I sometimes sticky beak on other peoples set-ups, mainly looking to steal good ideas :angel:

As for set-up times: yeah, those Grey Nomads in their Winnebagos frequently poke fun at the wife I and setting up our van as they get stuck into their Happy Hour. Sometimes they even call out the minutes, or number of beers sunk >:(

But who here hasn't "got competitive" getting their camper up or down quickly under the watchful, ever judgmental eyes of other campers with a knowing look that their choice of camper, is better than yours! ;D

That Mitchell I saw out bush, took him 25 minutes to get it to its basic set-up :D

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2016, 08:39:00 PM »
Quote from: leachy_9
Bare in mind it is a Tvan forum so the comments may not be completely unbiased.
Unbiased.... theres some of the most piss poor put downs and complaints about the opposition in history in that thread.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2016, 10:44:16 PM »
Yes Bird It's a Track trailer forum.
So it's obviously owners patting other owners on the back for their choice of the same Brand camper.
Unlike MySwag.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,

Offline MyJGC

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2016, 10:07:24 AM »
Yes Bird It's a Track trailer forum.
So it's obviously owners patting other owners on the back for their choice of the same Brand camper.
Unlike MySwag.

Who could possibly fault anything about a TVan  ;D
A 4WD, camper and other stuff