Author Topic: Snakes  (Read 24934 times)

Offline listo

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Snakes
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2017, 09:36:35 AM »
Been at our new joint for 2 weeks & shot one in the shed already. Won't be shifting sprinklers with out a torch out here!

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2017, 06:53:18 AM »
Apparently it is a baby brown snake, only the most angry/deadly snake in AU and a bite from a baby can kill an adult...

Our baby browns are definetly brown not black or charcoal. Often have a black mark or diamond on their head too.
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2017, 01:58:42 PM »
Apparently it is a baby brown snake, only the most angry/deadly snake in AU and a bite from a baby can kill an adult...

Looks more like a black tiger snake, from the darker head and slate grey body.

http://www.ozanimals.com/Reptile/Black-Tiger-Snake/Notechis/ater.html

« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 02:47:48 PM by Troopy_03 »
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan. I miss being able to acces the little tracks off into the scrub.

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
Snakes
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2017, 02:22:28 PM »
Just another reason to hate those angry little buggers.
Eastern browns come in a whole range of colours other then brown....

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2017, 04:54:14 PM »
You'll be having nightmares tonight by the sounds of that.  ;D
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline Onion

• Tent User
    • Open-AudIT
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2017, 05:19:27 PM »
We saw this guy at the bottom of the street in Oct last year. I reckon he was 8 feet. Fortunately he looks like a python.
Trackabout owner.

Offline lukeycat

• Soft Floor Camper User
Snakes
« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2017, 06:20:22 PM »
We saw this guy at the bottom of the street in Oct last year. I reckon he was 8 feet. Fortunately he looks like a python.
Gotta say I'm a big fan of pythons they are great at controlling vermin
It's amazing where you find snakes we have dealt with a bunch of tiger snakes on the project I've been working on in Port Melbourne angry little buggers we had one about 3 foot long striking the bucket of a 30 tonne excavator lol was a battle he wasn't going to win so he was relocated to somewhere a little less hazardous we even had a contractor cope a dry bite from a tiger snake. I'll post some pics of a dead tiger snake I scared a few people in our site office with

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2017, 06:39:23 PM »
I saw this bugger last week on the south east coast of WA. He was dark grey and about 200mm long. Any idea what type it was?

2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC

Offline cheif carlos

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2017, 05:03:46 AM »

Sorry for the photo but didn't get one of it but found one of these moving mulch at my parents place, my father thought it was a juvenile black as one about 300mm long but didn't think it was I thought it was a blind snake, so picked it up with a shovel and put it in the state forest over the back fence.
Cute little snake look like a big worm. After looking into them it looks like we have a rare snaking the area
Need to get the backside into gear and get out camping

Offline sharkcaver

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • My ramblings:
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2017, 11:08:37 AM »
Very hard to tell from the pic Nab, but I would suggest dugite.

Much like the meter and a half job stopping us from descending Callcup a couple of weeks back:

A few years back, camped up at Alexander Bay, I spotted the body of a Tiger about 10 meters away at the start of the natural bushland. I grabbed the camera, but he slithered into the undergrowth, and whilst I looked carefully for it, it was not seen again. I only saw part of his mid section. It was at least 1/2 a beer can in girth. Must have been one hell of a Tiger.
An NX Paj, a D-Max and an Ultimate X-trk

http://sharkcaver.blogspot.com.au/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoz71vk1CWl6lp6Tv3dXhkQ/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #60 on: February 03, 2017, 11:09:46 AM »

Sorry for the photo but didn't get one of it but found one of these moving mulch at my parents place, my father thought it was a juvenile black as one about 300mm long but didn't think it was I thought it was a blind snake, so picked it up with a shovel and put it in the state forest over the back fence.
Cute little snake look like a big worm. After looking into them it looks like we have a rare snaking the area

It's commonly known as a Legless Lizard, and is harmless.
The only problem with these though, is that it gives young kids the wrong impression if they see you pick one up. Had to have a long talk with the grandson about that, after he watched me re-locating a couple from a veggie patch I was digging.
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan. I miss being able to acces the little tracks off into the scrub.

Offline sharkcaver

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • My ramblings:
« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2017, 12:49:09 PM »
A very good way to ID lizard V snake. Lizards have stripes or bands that run parallel to the body. Snakes have stripes or bands perpendicular or irregular. However, if in doubt, and you are not sure, leave it alone and practice proper precaution.
An NX Paj, a D-Max and an Ultimate X-trk

http://sharkcaver.blogspot.com.au/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoz71vk1CWl6lp6Tv3dXhkQ/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2017, 07:35:54 PM »
I may have posted this story somewhere on the site before, but I can't find it, so here goes.

Quite a few years back I found a blue tongue lizard in the back yard that was covered in ticks. They had burrowed under his scales, and he even had some down his ear holes. I rang the local wild life rescue mob to see if they knew how to get rid of the ticks, especially the ones down his ear holes. I chatted to the nice lady at the wildlife rescue, told her where I was and what the problem was, and she said:

"Just pick the ones off the body, grasping the head with a pair of fine nose tweezers. The ones down the ear canals, drip some warm olive oil down the ears and they should die."

"OK" says I, "I'll give it a go"

Her next question was: "Can you tell the difference between lizards and snakes?"

I thought to myself, she must think I'm an idiot, if I can't tell the difference between a blue tongue and a snake. "Yes I think I'm pretty confident I can"

"Good she says, would you mind going up the road from you, to mister @%$#%. He thinks he has a snake behind the door frame in his laundry, but isn't sure. Would you have a look and let me know, because we don't have anyone here at the moment who can go"

"Yeah, I suppose I could go and have a look" I said, a tad nervously.

So I went up to old mate up the road, and he has half the door frame ripped out around his back/laundry door, with a a 15mm gap between brickwork and timber. I told him that the lady had asked me to have a look etc, and he said go for your life. I got bitten by a tiger snake in the middle of my back lawn 2 years ago, so I'm not going anywhere near it. His lawn was like a golf course green too.

I wandered up and gingerly took a peek through the gap, and saw a curved shape, black satiny sheen, with feint diamond shaped markings on it. It also had what looked like cement dust clinging too it. It definitely looked snakey, but there was something a bit strange about it. Seeing as the bit I could see, was nowhere near where the head would be, I got a bit of wire about 500mm long and gave it a gentle poke (as you do). Nothing happened, except the skin felt a bit strange. there was too much give in it. I gave it a few more jabs, just to make sure it wasn't sleeping, and still nothing happened. I got a little closer, and noticed that the skin sort of wrinkled or folded when I poked it too...

This is what the snake skin looked like, or very similar.

Offline GUEY

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #63 on: February 04, 2017, 06:52:57 PM »

This is what the snake skin looked like, or very similar.

If that is what I'm pretty sure it is, I had a bloke on a job site refusing to get out of his car till a piece on a roll was taken away years ago
2016 Colorado Trailblazer
2010 Swan Outback
The following users thanked this post: Troopy_03

Offline Brisbane Puff

• Tent User
« Reply #64 on: February 04, 2017, 11:15:59 PM »
While not a current story, I thought some may get a laugh out of it..

To set the scene, I was currently serving in the army. Just got back from a near two year posting in Malaya. During that time I developed a hate for snakes as they seem to have been everywhere in the Malayan jungles. Worst case was when my company harbored up after dark and later that night we found that we had settled amongst a nest of cobras. Still makes my blood run cold, but that is another story..

Anyways, I had 3 weeks leave before being posted to Vietnam and my life long mate was a manager of a station out far west Queensland so decided to visit him for a week or so.

The homestead was an original building on about 6 foot stumps with a verandah all around. 6 bedrooms plus a screened sleep out so all the hands sleep there when they were mustering and branding, as was the case when I arrived. The only electricity for lighting was from an old 32 volt generator in a shed about 60 feet from the homestead. So the agreement was that the last person up at night had to walk out and shut the lister diesel off.

So this night after dinner, we were all out sitting on the verandah yarning and drinking home made green ginger wine. Eventually the talk got around to the fact that there were a lot of snakes around that season and that they had quite a few in the house yard of late. As the wine was consumed the stories got larger and the size of the snakes got bigger.. And so it went until I noticed that everyone had slipped off and I was the last one awake. So after finishing my last drink I thought it may be time to hop over and shut the generator off. And that's went things went to all hell.

Now there were no lights on the verandah but there was just enough moonlight to see where I was going so off I went, but as I walked around the corner of the verandah I saw a long black form on the floorboards. I stopped dead and squinted at it and it seemed to give a bit of a qiuver. Bloody snake I thought, on the verandah, libel to get in the house I though, deep down wishing I hadn't had the last couple cups of wine. So I slowly backed back around the corner and made for the kitchen door looking for a torch of some kind, hoping some one was still up but the place was silent. Couldn't find a torch, but I noticed the 12 gauge sitting beside the doorway. Grabbed that and off I went.

Got around the corner and the bloody thing was still there, and in the moonlight I could now see that the thing was draped up over the verandah rail. I kept very still til my eyes sort of focused and then I could see that the bloody thing was climbing up the verandah post.
S...T, it was huge.. So there was only one thing to do, so I let it have one barrel and it dropped to the floor and as I looked, it gave a quiver, so I let it have the other barrel.

Anyways, there were shouts and a hell of a hollabaloo and someone came out with a hurricane lamp... And that's when I found out that I had shot my mates best stock whip to pieces..

I think that maybe the worse part was that the two cattle dogs sleeping under the house were unfit for work for the next two days. Every time they heard a stock whip they would run for distant places.. Maybe it worked out well in one way.. I was not allowed to turn the genny off at night..

Puff

Offline kylarama

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #65 on: February 05, 2017, 08:07:14 AM »
One of my mates was completing a throne session, went to flush and noticed something under the rim of the bowl. Gave it another flush and a snake stuck its head out! Closed the lid and called a snake catcher mate.

A 5 foot brown snake was removed from the toilet.

He had a serious toilet phobia for the next 18 months.

Old article here.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/toilet-trip-ends-in-snake-shock/news-story/54ad8ccfb92fab86e3927783486d56e0

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

The following users thanked this post: Troopy_03

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #66 on: February 05, 2017, 08:59:19 AM »
One of my mates was completing a throne session, went to flush and noticed something under the rim of the bowl. Gave it another flush and a snake stuck its head out! Closed the lid and called a snake catcher mate.

A 5 foot brown snake was removed from the toilet.

He had a serious toilet phobia for the next 18 months.

Old article here.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/toilet-trip-ends-in-snake-shock/news-story/54ad8ccfb92fab86e3927783486d56e0

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

We were only discussing this last night at a diner! Geez that would scare you to death I reckon
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #67 on: February 06, 2017, 11:52:30 AM »

If that is what I'm pretty sure it is, I had a bloke on a job site refusing to get out of his car till a piece on a roll was taken away years ago
Yep, black polythene? dampcourse. Had me a bit concerned at first too.

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #68 on: February 06, 2017, 12:21:58 PM »
Another funny? situation a couple of years ago. I was wiring up a dual battery system on a truck, and needed a 500mm length of 0B&S battery cable to finish the job. Some of the blokes working at this place were a bit untidy, and used to chuck usable off-cuts of cable in a pile under one of the benches. I wandered over and was sorting through the pile, when one of the bits of cable wriggled.. It was a 500mm to 600mm baby red bellied black snake.

I nearly chit mesself. The snake was deeper down in the pile, so I thought... maybe I could encourage it to scarper out the door, which was close by, if I gave it a gentle poke with something (as you do lol). I gave it a poke with a piece of yellow-tongue edging, that we used for a draw wire, and it disappeared into the end of a piece of 20mm dual wall heat-shrink, that was also laying in the pile. Seeing that the heat shrink was folded over on the end, and the tail just hanging out the opening of the tube, I decided to pick up the tubing, hold the folded end down, and relocate it out the door myself.

One of the other blokes, who was working under one of the trucks, saw me mucking around near the bench and asked what I was doing. I got a snake, I told him. Yeah sure, it's just a piece of heat shrink.. he says, so I took it over to show him the tail hanging out the end of the tube. As I crouched down near the truck, the snakes head popped out, where the tail had been. Buggered if I know how he chucked a you turn in the skinny tubing, but I dropped it in fright, and the snake took off to join me mate under the truck. He let out a bit of a squeal, and came bolting out swearing his head off. If it wasn't such a potentially dangerous situation, it would have been p!ss funny. (well it was pretty funny talking about it later) I copped a bit from the OH&S guy (and rightly so  :-[)

But, it adds to the theory (truth actually) that most people get bitten by snakes when trying to kill or capture them.

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
« Reply #69 on: February 07, 2017, 10:39:36 AM »
Found this little fella in the top shed this a.m. A Red Naped Snake. No threat to humans. The leaf in the pic is about 75mm long  :D
Sweet hey?
Steve
'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"

Offline Streetkid

• Tent User
« Reply #70 on: February 07, 2017, 10:41:00 PM »
Found this little fella in the top shed this a.m. A Red Naped Snake. No threat to humans. The leaf in the pic is about 75mm long  :D
Sweet hey?
Steve

I stepped over one of these the other day when I was out running, had to stop for a closer look as I thought it literally looked pretty deadly, bit of googling and it is pretty harmless. Had never seen or heard of them before that.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 10:42:54 PM by Streetkid »
Happy Customline owner

Offline Brisbane Puff

• Tent User
« Reply #71 on: February 10, 2017, 10:03:06 PM »
See what I mean... >:( >:( >:(
While not a current story, I thought some may get a laugh out of it..

To set the scene, I was currently serving in the army. Just got back from a near two year posting in Malaya. During that time I developed a hate for snakes as they seem to have been everywhere in the Malayan jungles. Worst case was when my company harbored up after dark and later that night we found that we had settled amongst a nest of cobras. Still makes my blood run cold, but that is another story..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRlvOLffupo
Puff

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #72 on: October 30, 2021, 10:24:29 AM »
Probably not a bad idea for a refresher on what to do (& what NOT to do!)

https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2021-10-30/snakes-venomous-how-to-survive-a-bite/100406488
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline corndog

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #73 on: October 30, 2021, 05:34:37 PM »
I worked with some of the biggest snakes in my industry.