Author Topic: Fridge or Fridge/Freezer?  (Read 10733 times)

Offline Elky

• Tent User
Re: Fridge or Fridge/Freezer?
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2015, 07:49:24 PM »
We have just bought a 2nd 40l engel to supplement our original 40, one in the camper is the fridge and in the tug as a freezer, looked at gettin a 60 but the twin 40 is more flexible, trade off being more power usage

Cheers
2010 TTD Landcruiser, i have added stuff but can't remember what! Slowly gettin quicker at setting up the brumby but breaking camp is another matter....

Offline Isuzumu

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Isuzu MU
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2015, 08:39:24 PM »
I prefer a fridge and freezer, we are now spending around six months a year on the road and to have the freezer and fridge in the back of the D.Max is good for me, I now have a new EvaKool Glacier 75 Lt dual zone. That is my fridge cause it also has the beer in it and Annie has the 110 lt in the van for the rest of the food hahahahaha.
Cheers Bruce
2012 Isuzu D.Max
1994 Isuzu Mu
2011 Jayco 17.55 Outback with Cruisemaster Independent Air Suspension
Off road trailer full of camping gear.

HF Radio Club  Sel Call 1955

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
    • Web Server in a Box Project
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2015, 05:38:23 AM »
Perhaps you need to beef up a bit Symon.......oh, hang on...... ;D

;D ;D
Do not PM me for technical advice - start a thread.
HDJ79 Ute - 100 Series Sahara - 2002 Kimberley Kamper - No ATS yet - Survivor of 5 McGirr trips-Cape 09,11,12,14 & Gulf 13

Offline Traveller

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2015, 04:04:03 PM »
We have used a 40l Engel for the last 20 years and it has been a great fridge. Last year we headed up north for 3 months and decided to change over to a National Luna (40l fridge/10l freezer) and couldn't have been happier. As stupid as it sounds, the 10l freezer held an amazing amount of stuff, and I even managed to fit in a box of magnum ice-creams at one stage. What a bit off luxury, sitting in the desert eating ice-cream. The National Luna has the same dimensions as the 40l Engel (within a few millimetres anyway), so we used the same setup but scored the small freezer as an extra, and the whole lot performed faultlessly.

As the others have said, if your trips involve going through towns at regular intervals then the freezer isn't that important. But if you head off into the wilds for extended periods then I would give it some thought.

theins

« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2015, 05:08:22 PM »
We have a 80 Waeco dual zone in the camper, but mostly run it as a fridge.
On longer trips we have an additional 40l Engel in the Disco, being run as a Freezer...

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2015, 05:15:31 PM »
I had the Waeco 80L duel zone but dumped it as the spill over design was a pain you were moving things around and it was not efficient

I went the Primus Mammoth double door and love it you can have it as a fridge/ freezer or all fridge or all freezer 2 doors and it is basically set and forget.
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline broncos11

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2015, 05:29:10 PM »
I had the Waeco 80L duel zone but dumped it as the spill over design was a pain you were moving things around and it was not efficient

I went the Primus Mammoth double door and love it you can have it as a fridge/ freezer or all fridge or all freezer 2 doors and it is basically set and forget.

I have the 100L Companion, which Is Same fridge. Been awesome for 5 years.
Anaconda have a special on these at the moment. $1400.00 fir the 100 L I think
2003 IFS V8 100 series

Offline dg3754

• Swag User
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2015, 06:18:18 PM »
We have just bought a 2nd 40l engel to supplement our original 40, one in the camper is the fridge and in the tug as a freezer, looked at gettin a 60 but the twin 40 is more flexible, trade off being more power usage

Cheers

Hi,

We are looking at doing the same when we do the "Big Lap". 
We currently have a Weaco CFX40, good size, enough for the fridge basics; milk, juice, butter, cheese, salad etc.  I use my TechniIce 40t esky for the drinks.  But if are away from civilisation/ice for a while I don't think it'll last long.  We plan on buying another CFX40 & run it as a freezer in the back of the vehicle.  With two separate units you also have redundancy.  If one dies, you still have another to save the remainder of your perishables.

My parents have a Engal 37t, & swear by it.  I don't doubt they are tip top & probably the best quality.  But they are heavy, expensive, bulky & as mentioned by others, noisy.  My Dad's keeps his running full-time at home in the room next to where we sleep when we stay with them.  I can hear & feel it cycling on & off during the night, & I'm not a light sleeper.  Our Weaco is only used when we go away & if we look after it, I think it will serve us well.

Cheers, Dave.