Author Topic: For those suffering from depression  (Read 119283 times)

Online Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
Re: For those suffering from depression
« Reply #375 on: August 16, 2022, 08:04:04 PM »

McGirr……..it will only get you down the track if you don’t talk to somebody about it.
Professional help is only a phone call away. You don’t have to see anyone….just talk over the phone.
I had a serious illness last year, and at times I felt pretty low…real low…but I have a wife who I could talk to.
Have you told or talked to your partner ? Have you told her how you REALLY felt ?
I know a couple of people with depression and medication was VERY helpful.
You’ve “come out”, so to speak……keep going and make yourself better…….good luck with it all !!

Every thing you have said Greg, is spot.
You've shared something most blokes would never want others to know.
We all at times fall down the rabbit hole, how far we fall and how we deal with it, and having someone to talk to who doesn't judge.

Please, ask, you are not weak, you are no less a person for asking for help.

Take care.

Sent from my SM-A235F using Tapatalk

You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline maverick01

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #376 on: September 03, 2022, 06:29:34 AM »
Thanks Hairs
If you never go, you'll never know

Online Hairs

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #377 on: September 03, 2022, 07:37:13 AM »
Mate, You are here talking to us, that is a big step.
Keep moving forward.
At a get together last night, sharing memories of a mate, who stayed positive to his last breathe, his attitude that everything would be aright, has had a profound impact on us all.
Most of us have for our ring tones,
Always look on the Bright Side.
I had it for a few years now, I installed it on his wife's phone yesterday.

Take care mate,

You don't use magic to disappear, ya use a 4x4 & Swag.

Offline Foo

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #378 on: September 03, 2022, 03:01:22 PM »
Sadly most blokes don't open up about what is dragging them down and those that show a happy out there personality often are the ones that are hurting big time on the inside and in a world of hurt on the inside.  :'(

Another Forum that I'm on has had a RUOK Thread for a long time and another one associated with my sport of cycling I started a RUOK Thread and has been well received and supported. The first one there was a member that was talking and it set off alarm bells to me and I asked if there was someone close by or had his phone number that could do a check up on him and that saved his life. As blokes we need too open up and not fear snide remarks or any crap but accept that things can drag you down.

I also post the health issues that have affected my over time and currently like what I went through with the beer virus, just so that others may think, well I can relate to this and ask for help if it is getting them down.

The mind is a powerful and unpredictable thing and as much as Drs may think they know best, they can't fully understand what will trigger that thought process of, I'm a waste of space and useless trigger in people. That's why we must try and see changes in our mates.

Foo
So long as you have tried your best, you should have no regrets.

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #379 on: September 09, 2022, 08:15:26 AM »
Can you imagine going through this every day ?   :'(
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"
The following users thanked this post: paceman

Offline maverick01

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #380 on: September 10, 2022, 02:54:54 PM »
I'm still amazed that this post is still going after 8 years.

I hope it's managed to touch a few people in a way to make then open up to others.

If its saved even just 1 life then I couldn't be happier that I created the post all those years back.

Unfortunately even after all these years where I had hoped I would never have to support someone with the dreaded "C" word, Unfortunately here I am about to start it all over again.

The difference being is i kind of know what to expect but it definitely doesn't make the situation any easier.

Anyway enough of my problems, if anyone needs to talk about your mindset or you're simply NOT OK please reach out to me as I will never turn down a phone call to someone reaching out.

Take Care Everyone

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #381 on: September 17, 2022, 11:49:47 AM »
Definitely take care and be wary of quick fixes whatever the cause-
https://www.msn.com/en-au/health/other/doctors-have-stopped-believing-that-chemical-imbalance-causes-depression-they-didn-t-tell-us/ar-AA11TMJp

If you get hit by the blues for whatever reason (and quite often there isn't a defining cause) then you'll need to go on a journey to fully understand the problem and how to deal with it long term as it's closely related to anxiety and a whole range of 'nervous illness' and their symptoms-
https://www.calmclinic.com/treatmentclaire-weekes

There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #382 on: July 16, 2023, 05:05:07 PM »
BBT... important thread.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline maverick01

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #383 on: July 21, 2023, 09:48:12 PM »
I'm still blown away this post is still going.

I truly hope it's made people take the next step of speaking out and not thinking they can't speak out because they may think it's shameful.......

I might not be as active here as I once was unfortunately but each and every one of the members in this group are willing to help everyone.

This group truly helped me through a difficult time in life and even though I may not have a 4wd or camper anymore I still have a sticker on my daily and hopefully once I get the next setup I might actually get to meet some of you again.
The following users thanked this post: GeoffA, paceman, plusnq

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #384 on: July 22, 2023, 08:13:05 PM »
For those that haven't read this thread, grab a cold one and go back to the start, and read through and take it in. I just did again (well 3 beers)

Shows what amazing people are on this board, and those that are not active anymore.

Would be good to see some of them back.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline maverick01

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #385 on: July 23, 2023, 09:43:14 AM »
For those that haven't read this thread, grab a cold one and go back to the start, and read through and take it in. I just did again (well 3 beers)

Shows what amazing people are on this board, and those that are not active anymore.

Would be good to see some of them back.

I'll try to get a bit more involved in the forum, although I've had a lot going on in the last few years it's still no excuse.
The following users thanked this post: noel_w

Online Hairs

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #386 on: September 07, 2023, 06:46:15 PM »
Hey, How are you all.
You don't have to reply here, you can message me.
Just swinging by to say G'day.
Shout out.

Offline maverick01

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #387 on: September 09, 2023, 02:44:20 PM »
Hi mate,
                Under the circumstances I'm going pretty well.

I hope you're doing well too.

Hey, How are you all.
You don't have to reply here, you can message me.
Just swinging by to say G'day.
Shout out.

Online Hairs

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #388 on: September 09, 2023, 03:59:39 PM »

Hi mate,
                Under the circumstances I'm going pretty well.

I hope you're doing well too.

That is good to hear, mate. :)
It's not a race, keep moving forward, you're doing good.

Things are busy, work and helping my sister who has become our mothers carer, trying to organise a lift, to get mum up to the second floor.
She's 83, just had a few stents removed, suffered a mild stroke, fingers crossed she will be home Tuesday.
Still no word of where our brother might be, last known place was Mt Isa 18 months ago, his car isn't registered in NSW anymore.
My sister has started a garden area for Mum to spend time in, she has fixed breeding boxes to trees, which have attracted a Rozelle pair.

Anyway, good to hear from you Maverick.

Offline xcvator

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #389 on: September 09, 2023, 09:45:47 PM »
Depression is not like any other sickness, there is no cure, it's with you for the rest of your life, but, with help from friends, an appropriate  psychiatrist, medications and counselling it can be controlled most of the time.

I have to be aware of my moods and feelings 24/7, sometimes I can feel ok, then within a hour I can feel myself falling into the black pit for no apparent reason,then I have to think about what caused the problem, think it out, then put the bad thoughts behind me, it's a day to day fight.

(Nil Illegitimi Carborundum)  Don't let the bastards grind you down is a very good phrase for me to try and follow.

3 years ago I was in a bad place and didn't know it, I was drinking up to 3 bottles of spirits a week, my marriage and home was breaking down, I took an overdose of medications and ended up in 1 West, Frankston.
 This where I got a lot of help, both with my mind and medications, where I learnt that booze is a depressant. I had ongoing help/supervision for more than a year, didn't have any booze of any sort for more than 6 months.

I am now in a much better place in my mind and family, alcohol intake is almost nil,nightmares and flashbacks are gone ,yes there are god and bad days

Best thing I have is to talk about it, discuss how you're feeling, around a campfire works well , if ever anybody feels they would like a chat either over the phone 0419357763, over a camp fire or just a pm , Im here 24/7
Cheers Keith

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
New Age "Little Joey"
The following users thanked this post: Foo

Online Hairs

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #390 on: September 10, 2023, 08:11:46 AM »
Hey Keith,
Thank you for sharing your experience, and how you are dealing with this.
Here's hoping someone finds strength from reading your words, and it makes a difference to their life or the life of another.
Cheers.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2023, 10:03:42 AM by Hairs »

Offline maverick01

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #391 on: September 10, 2023, 12:47:48 PM »
Hey all,
             Absolutely Xcavator that alcohol is a terrible thing to have either when you're feeling low or have the potential to let it affect you.

I personally heard some bad news roughly 12 months ago in regards to a very close family member that has been diagnosed with cancer, unfortunately it brought back a lot of memories. Since then I haven't had any alcohol apart from 2 drinks last weekend which I then decided all wasn't for me any more.

On top of all of this I split up with my partner which was an indirect result of my brother throwing accusations around the family causing drama (it's not the first time but rest assured it's definitely the last time) so unfortunately the last 2 years haven't been the best but I'm definitely not complaining.

If anyone ever needs to talk, by all means send me a message and happy to either call you or give you my number if you want.

Offline xcvator

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #392 on: October 05, 2023, 04:18:28 PM »
There can be dozens of different reasons/causes of depression, but this sort of thing is 100% unforgivable .
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-10-05/british-soldier-took-her-own-life-after-sexual-harrassment/102936456 

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline Titfish

• Tent User
« Reply #393 on: October 17, 2023, 01:41:26 PM »
I have always kept an eye on this thread and read with interest the battles others have gone through and how they have dealt with them. I didn’t contribute to the thread with my own battles as that was something I chose to share with others. Professional help has been a great thing although the journey is not over yet.

But to today’s story. My wife lost her brother yesterday. He had had enough and took his own life due to circumstances beyond his control. Sadly or fortunately they had only found each other five years ago through ancestory and had enjoyed a beautiful relationship from then onwards despite him living in the US. They spoke weekly and loved each other dearly. He was a good man who I was pleased to call a “mate”.

We reflect on any signs that may have been apparent and can’t find any answers. Such a sad time. Take care all who have bad things happening in their lives and get help.
Cheers
Ken
The following users thanked this post: Bird

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #394 on: October 17, 2023, 04:11:06 PM »
I have always kept an eye on this thread and read with interest the battles others have gone through and how they have dealt with them. I didn’t contribute to the thread with my own battles as that was something I chose to share with others. Professional help has been a great thing although the journey is not over yet.

But to today’s story. My wife lost her brother yesterday. He had had enough and took his own life due to circumstances beyond his control. Sadly or fortunately they had only found each other five years ago through ancestory and had enjoyed a beautiful relationship from then onwards despite him living in the US. They spoke weekly and loved each other dearly. He was a good man who I was pleased to call a “mate”.

We reflect on any signs that may have been apparent and can’t find any answers. Such a sad time. Take care all who have bad things happening in their lives and get help.
Cheers
Ken

Sorry for your loss. Just remember not everyone shows signs, not everyone can see signs.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home
The following users thanked this post: Titfish