Author Topic: building a PC  (Read 9936 times)

Offline Alan Loy

• Hard Floor Camper User
building a PC
« on: October 30, 2014, 05:32:37 AM »
My daughter has decided she wants to build a PC.  I know nothing about this and she comes from a lifetime of Apple use.  Is this a smart thing to do?

Any traps for the unwary we should look out for?

Suggestions on good places to get parts both online and in Melbourne?

Thanks

Marschy

Re: building a PC
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 06:31:19 AM »
My daughter has decided she wants to build a PC.  I know nothing about this and she comes from a lifetime of Apple use.  Is this a smart thing to do?

Any traps for the unwary we should look out for?

Suggestions on good places to get parts both online and in Melbourne?

Thanks
Good place for parts in Melbourne is MSY, both online and shop front.

Offline whitedg

• Administrator
  • Swag User
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 06:37:38 AM »
X2 for MSY, best prices you will find. I'm in the IT industry and that is where I go for all my personal PC needs.

Pretty easy to build up a PC, everything is slotted so can't be installed backwards.

Then pick you OS (Windows, Linux) and start installing.

Cheers
Whitedg

Offline Moggy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 06:39:53 AM »
This is probably not the best forum for that. Head to 'whirlpool', there are heaps of build threads there

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

All men dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible.
T.E. Lawrence

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 06:44:30 AM »
this guide may help:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/08/ars-technica-system-guide-august-2014/

parts should still be available.  if not, good excuse for a bit of comparison research... :)

NOTE: american prices in the link.  oz prices will be higher...

edit:  as previously advised, here's a good starting forum on whirlpool:

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum/7?g=77
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 07:03:38 AM by paceman »

Offline Ben.Archer

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 07:36:50 AM »
Building a pc is really pretty easy  these days (which to my mind has removed much of the fun).  Working in the IT industry and having worked in the component level of the industry for many years as others have stated it is pretty hard to go wrong.

I would be starting by building an idea of what the PC is for - web surfing / games / work?

Then you can guauge the level of componantry you need or can justify.  Personally I would be looking for a good quality case, that will support a number of hard drives (you can never have enough storage) with a motherboard that has good I/O (so loads of USB (preferably USB 3 poirts)) and a good memory footprint (8-12Gb).  these days the processor is not the be all and end all - in fact i tend to ignore the processor most of the time and focus on memory - but I tend to run memory capped workloads.)  The place where you can easily blow the entire budget is on the graphics card, but unless you are building a gaming PC of something for serious graphics work then you may easily get by with the onboard graphics on most midline motherboards, but remember that these often share the memory so allow for that in your design.

MSY is a good place to start but have a look at static ice - www.staticice.com  this is a search engine for parts and type in what you want and you will see a long list of suppliers for that part with their prices.

2015 Land Rover Discovery 4
2000 90 Series Toyota Prado RV6
2013 MDC Off Road Step-Through V3 - Heavily modded and I am only just starting :-)

Offline Alan Loy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 08:42:16 AM »
Thanks guys

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 09:03:19 AM »
MSY Mitcham is up the road from work. Go there all the time...

There is little to no service - you really need to know what your going in to buy... Prices are cheap....

But honestly, have a look at some of the prefab PC's on Ebay.. I went to build a high end gaming machine for a mate to play some online car racing game that has Bathurst etc on it, and it was cheaper via nasty auction site than through MSY - which is nearly impossible.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Marschy

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 09:03:42 AM »
The place where you can easily blow the entire budget is on the graphics card
Ain't that the truth. Last time I was in MSY there was a guy in the queue in front of purchasing a $3.5K graphics card. WTF?

Offline noel_w

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Welcoming Mexicans to SEQ since 2015
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2014, 09:05:38 AM »
Building a pc is really pretty easy  these days (which to my mind has removed much of the fun).  Working in the IT industry and having worked in the component level of the industry for many years as others have stated it is pretty hard to go wrong.

I would be starting by building an idea of what the PC is for - web surfing / games / work?

Then you can guauge the level of componantry you need or can justify.  Personally I would be looking for a good quality case, that will support a number of hard drives (you can never have enough storage) with a motherboard that has good I/O (so loads of USB (preferably USB 3 poirts)) and a good memory footprint (8-12Gb).  these days the processor is not the be all and end all - in fact i tend to ignore the processor most of the time and focus on memory - but I tend to run memory capped workloads.)  The place where you can easily blow the entire budget is on the graphics card, but unless you are building a gaming PC of something for serious graphics work then you may easily get by with the onboard graphics on most midline motherboards, but remember that these often share the memory so allow for that in your design.

MSY is a good place to start but have a look at static ice - www.staticice.com  this is a search engine for parts and type in what you want and you will see a long list of suppliers for that part with their prices.

/\ /\  agree x2. I have been building systems for 20 years. So easy now you don't have to worry about clock multipliers etc. Just one thing that you may need to keep an eye on is the matching your ram to the motherboard, make sure it is the right type (DDR2 - DDR3) though DDR2 is dead in the water now, and match the cpu to the motherboard. Socket 1150 Haswell is the most common at the moment.
I have accounts with some distributors/wholesalers here in Brissie but have found I can buy some stuff cheaper retail, especially from Umart. I see they now have a store in Melbourne, not sure if it is close to you though.   http://www.umart.com.au/newindex2.phtml?bid=7
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 09:08:17 AM by noel_w »
TUG=GU ST 2012 Ute, CT = Modcon Imperial HF
We have to start thinking about what sort of a world we are going to leave for Keith Richards after we are all gone.

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2014, 09:07:46 AM »
MSY Mitcham is up the road from work. Go there all the time...

There is little to no service - you really need to know what your going in to buy... Prices are cheap....

But honestly, have a look at some of the prefab PC's on Ebay.. I went to build a high end gaming machine for a mate to play some online car racing game that has Bathurst etc on it, and it was cheaper via nasty auction site than through MSY - which is nearly impossible.
x2 I've built my own for the last 20 years, but it's hardly worth DIY now  ???
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2014, 09:08:06 AM »
Quote from: Marschy
Ain't that the truth. Last time I was in MSY there was a guy in the queue in front of purchasing a $3.5K graphics card. WTF?
which is now worth $250  LOL I found it cheaper to run 2x cards.

Edit: for non gaming machines for staff for home we now send staff to Dell.com.au for normal workstations .. the 24/7 home support is worth it..
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2014, 09:54:50 AM »
PCcasegear is aother great site.
Fast delivery.
- Kimberley Kamper Sports RV Limited Edition
- Lexus LX470 V8, E-locker, ARB Sahara bullbar

Offline noel_w

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2014, 09:59:49 AM »
Edit: for non gaming machines for staff for home we now send staff to Dell.com.au for normal workstations .. the 24/7 home support is worth it..

As long as they are prepared to throw it away once the warranty expires and they have a fault. Quoted $655 for a replacement mobo for a 980 the other day one month out of warranty.
We have to start thinking about what sort of a world we are going to leave for Keith Richards after we are all gone.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2014, 10:06:34 AM »
Quote from: noel_w
As long as they are prepared to throw it away once the warranty expires and they have a fault. Quoted $655 for a replacement mobo for a 980 the other day one month out of warranty.

The only Dells we've had issues with were the USFF Optiplexs... All our others have been bullet proof even in the Media Lab where the air vents get blocked each week and they overheat.

We've still got some old 210's running around here with XP in the labs - still going strong... None of our users who have bought them for home use have complained either. maybe your users are just ****ed... who knows.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The best way to predict the future is to create it
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2014, 10:07:46 AM »
My son wanted a gaming PC so we shopped around looking at all the high end systems and got an idea what they were worth and what specs he wanted.

Then we went and bought the parts and built our own. We saved a heap of money by not necessarily getting the absolute latest and greatest parts at the time but still got it to the specs he needed and the thing flys.

In fact that was a year or two ago and it still flys.

Id say we almost built it for half the cost of getting an equivalent at the big name stores.
Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2014, 10:13:55 AM »
Quote from: DannyG
Id say we almost built it for half the cost of getting an equivalent at the big name stores.
easily.. Go to the local dodgey Asian computer stores all the time.

Im still running an old Antec 900 at home - internals have been redone 3 times though
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Alan Loy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2014, 10:42:15 AM »
Sounds like I really need to get a definite idea about the requirements.  I personally don't care much as my needs are modest.

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The best way to predict the future is to create it
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2014, 10:45:35 AM »
Sounds like I really need to get a definite idea about the requirements.  I personally don't care much as my needs are modest.

I haven't read the whole thread so this may have already been said but IMHO if all she needs to do with it is basic use (No high end gaming) then building your own may not be the way to go for cost effectiveness. There are some ripper deals out there for basic PC's.
Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline Ben.Archer

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2014, 11:02:01 AM »

$3.5k - He wasn't even trying.  ;D

We sell systems for high performance floating point work and they use the Nvidia Tesla K40c cards.  These are currently $10,519 each and it isn't uncommon for us to use four of them in each system.........

http://www.nvidia.com/object/tesla-servers.html
2015 Land Rover Discovery 4
2000 90 Series Toyota Prado RV6
2013 MDC Off Road Step-Through V3 - Heavily modded and I am only just starting :-)

Offline noel_w

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2014, 11:44:30 AM »
The only Dells we've had issues with were the USFF Optiplexs... All our others have been bullet proof even in the Media Lab where the air vents get blocked each week and they overheat.

We've still got some old 210's running around here with XP in the labs - still going strong... None of our users who have bought them for home use have complained either. maybe your users are just ****ed... who knows.
Yeah we have roughly about 2000 dell optiplex from 745 through to 9010 mostly SFF. There are some staff but mostly the rest are in classrooms (Tafe college). Some get thrashed, others may be on once a week.
All in all the Dells are very good (we keep buying them lol) but their service is going down hill. Next Business Day contract and they turn up 2-3 days after etc. We are going to all in one 9010's now

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2014, 12:07:56 PM »
Quote from: noel_w
Yeah we have roughly about 2000 dell optiplex from 745 through to 9010 mostly SFF. There are some staff but mostly the rest are in classrooms (Tafe college). Some get thrashed, others may be on once a week.
All in all the Dells are very good (we keep buying them lol) but their service is going down hill. Next Business Day contract and they turn up 2-3 days after etc. We are going to all in one 9010's now
745's are throughout our finance 7 with 4gig and just purr along.

Just got a few USFF 9020M's.. bout the size of a VHS Video. very nice machines. I've got 8.1 on one and 7 pro on the other.. Although not keen on rolling out across company as you can hid them in your pants to steal them.. :(
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2014, 11:15:22 PM »
Tell her to start doing her homework here-
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum/7
but be aware it's a lot like sewing your own dresses nowadays and put me down for Dell. They have big buying power and the scale and resources to test reliability and compatibility of hardware on your behalf so that you get bang for buck.
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline Alan Loy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2014, 05:34:50 AM »
Thanks Guys you have been a big help  :cheers:

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2014, 06:24:06 AM »
What sort of gaming requirements does she need? What does she want to play? I am no expert in PC online gaming but we just have a HP all in one that was bought for my business. My wife uses that for world of Warcraft online, and I have a steering wheel and pedal set hooked up to in for iracing online. so far we haven't had any problems with it. 
Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/