Author Topic: Why is this racist?  (Read 43637 times)

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Why is this racist?
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2014, 08:01:24 AM »
Guys I think the consensus on the shirt is it's okay. And woolies need to harden up and not pander to a few over sensitive types. Let's leave the discussion there.
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline Aaron Schubert

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • 4WDing Australia
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2014, 08:03:05 AM »
People are far too sensitive. I think this applies to every country; if you don't like it, why stay there?

Aaron
My Isuzu Dmax

Check out my blog at 4WDing Australia

Offline Nay-DMAX

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2014, 08:11:20 AM »
The shirt is not aimed at race this could apply to people who were born in Aus but dont like it for whatever reason they can go elsewhere too if they want to. Its a shame that we cant always show pride in our country for risk of what might happen

Offline Ratbag

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2014, 08:25:02 AM »
Robust discussion, and being robust in our dealings with each other, are far better than robust warfare ...

Far too much political correctness goes on IMO. This stifles robust discussion about things that should be discussed. If they aren't discussed, it usually leads to robust warfare. As von Clausewitz said in the late 1800s in "On War": "War is the continuation of politics by other means" ...

I would rather have the robust discussion/s, thanks ;).

Offline Robbo

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Put another banger on the barbie
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2014, 08:25:45 AM »
Sadly gone are the days when we use to take the mickey out of each other in jest. Remember all those jokes we used to throw at the Pommes, the Irish, the Kiwis and the Blondes etc. None of them used to take offence they would just laugh and give it back to us. Humour was the best form of medicine and broke down many barriers.
PC didn't exist in those days and everyone got on together. Why have we now got all precious about humorous sayings and slogans. To me, this has now brought the old Race Card into many things in our everyday life which is just BS.  >:(

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2014, 08:49:24 AM »
Patriotism is loving one's own country, racism is disliking those from other ethnic backgrounds.

Whilst the statement on those shirts might not be racist, it is ignorant. It suggests that if you criticise Australia then you're not a patriot. Blind acceptance of social positions is a sure way to ruin, it is important that we are all critical of what happens around us, by which I mean we should question what we do, what others do, and consider whether it is reasonable or acceptable.

I believe that Australians are on the whole, greatly accepting and tolerant of other cultures and practices, which is a good thing and has enriched our country. Of course this does not mean we should accept everything and anything, and we should not simply allow our own national culture to be devoured by some external influences. But what is our current national identity? The one I grew up with; the stockman, the bronzed Aussie lifesaver, the digger in the trenches really doesn't seem to reflect where we are as a nation anymore.

Do we want to become a country of gutter mouth slobs? Ignorant, isolationist and xenophobic? Then we'd be the USA, or possibly Britain, or any of the despotic third world countries in which we see so much suffering.

Let us be a proud nation; one of equals, where we do accept those from elsewhere but expect that they show their gratitude for being here, as we acknowledge our good fortune for the same thing.
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline Ratbag

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2014, 08:53:42 AM »
Very well said, Julian.

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2014, 08:54:43 AM »

Let us be a proud nation; one of equals, where we do accept those from elsewhere but expect that they show their gratitude for being here, as we acknowledge our good fortune for the same thing.

Funny, that's what I thought the shirt was saying
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline Mik01

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Scenic Rim 4x4
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2014, 09:05:28 AM »

Whilst the statement on those shirts might not be racist, it is ignorant. It suggests that if you criticise Australia then you're not a patriot.

respectfully disagree mate. the shirt simply says - 'we have a way of living here (positively), and if you don't fit that lifestyle or our way of life doesn't suit you so much that you wish to change it to suit yourself, then there's the door'

no different to the rules on this forum, any club or pub in any place, or my house rules. 

every place has rules in which to live in the society, peacefully and in harmony with others - are they all ignorant? 
if I went to the footy and they said I cant bring my own grog and swear and carry on, but I become indignant and insist I should be allowed to - just because I want to - and i'm the minority - are they ignorant to my feelings and beliefs? no - they are the rules by which you are allowed entry, and if I don't like it, then I am free to leave and not return.

some people want to introduce their own foreign laws into this country, and change many fundamentals that make us who we are - just because. and when the hand wringers and PC brigade wont let us enforce the rules without shrill cries of intolerance, then that weakens our right to maintain the lifestyle we currently enjoy.

I think the real issue is that the shirt statement means different things to different people - but what single statement ever said did?  as I have read here - many don't see this as ignorant or derogatory. does the fact that a (possible) small minority find it an issue mean that it should be shouted down and eradicated? isn't that the real problematic situation? should we burn books again?
Contact me for special MySwag prices on 4x4 accessories!
http://scenicrim4x4.com.au

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2014, 09:07:23 AM »
I don't think that's what it says. Leave to where? Isn't that what ISIL are saying in Iraq and Syria?

Who is really trying to introduce foreign laws into country and do you really think there is any realistic chance of that happening? People say ridiculous things all the time, doesn't mean they're true or even remotely plausible.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 09:14:06 AM by BigJules »
Julian

Offline Mrs smith

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2014, 09:35:42 AM »

Do we want to become a country of gutter mouth slobs? Ignorant, isolationist and xenophobic? Then we'd be the USA, or possibly Britain.

I think that statements a little racist.. lol

Maybe those running the country should stop steering us the way of the US or UK then, seems there hell bent on following there justice and legal systems.

First they cause the problems then police it and regulate it, way to go Oz now a nation of sheep.

Could the OP make this a poll, just a simple do you find it offensive yes or no ?

Offline RobM

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2014, 09:39:38 AM »
Who is really trying to introduce foreign laws into country and do you really think there is any realistic chance of that happening?

I think it is possible simply by weight in numbers

http://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/4112/islamization-britain

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
Why is this racist?
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2014, 09:41:06 AM »
Good points Mrs Smith.

RobM, I don't believe there is any critical mass for change in Australia.
Julian

Offline Lori

• Tent User
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2014, 10:17:18 AM »
I think the slogan on that shirt became offensive when people started using it in to cause offence.

Its one thing to say 'This is my country, it is a great place and I love it. I feel lucky to be here and I think you should too' and quite another to say to someone 'This is Straya mate, love it or F***** leave.'

I know I have heard sentiments of the above sentence too many times, so many times in fact that when I see a shirt like the one being discussed I cant help but think of those people. It doesnt make me proud, it makes me cringe and not because I am not proud of my country but because too many times I have seen someone take the symbol of our national pride and twist it to fit their own agenda.

I dont blame people for being to sensitive, I place the blame squarely at the feet of those who took our flag and used it to belittle, harass and attempt to intimidate others deemed not Australian enough. It is not a coincidence that these slogans started showing up right around the time of the Cronulla riots.

Are the shirts themselves racist? No. The actions of others in relation to such shirts has made them offensive.

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Y62 S5 Nissan Patrol and Tanami 13 Hybrid
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2014, 10:24:21 AM »
If I had the money I would get a million of them made and give them away for free.

This is Australia and it needs to remain Australia.  Integration works, multiculturalism doesn't. Anyone that thinks otherwise needs to spend a day at Lakemba, Bankstown or Cabramatta where as an Australian you will be treated like an alien in your own country.
:cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup:

Offline Malcolm Tugless

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Are we there yet ?
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2014, 10:31:50 AM »
Its a bogan shirt, and bogans have rights too.

Removing it from sale discriminates directly against against said bogans.

Class action anyone ?

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2014, 10:35:58 AM »
Quote from: Malcolm Tugless
Class action anyone ?
hang on while I put the wife beater on, and go get a pack of winny blues, now wheres the keys to the taxidore.. - then count me in
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2014, 10:36:40 AM »

Class action anyone ?
I'll have you know I do not wear moccasins  ;D
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2014, 10:41:25 AM »
I think the slogan on that shirt became offensive when people started using it in to cause offence.

Its one thing to say 'This is my country, it is a great place and I love it. I feel lucky to be here and I think you should too' and quite another to say to someone 'This is Straya mate, love it or F***** leave.'

I know I have heard sentiments of the above sentence too many times, so many times in fact that when I see a shirt like the one being discussed I cant help but think of those people. It doesnt make me proud, it makes me cringe and not because I am not proud of my country but because too many times I have seen someone take the symbol of our national pride and twist it to fit their own agenda.

I dont blame people for being to sensitive, I place the blame squarely at the feet of those who took our flag and used it to belittle, harass and attempt to intimidate others deemed not Australian enough. It is not a coincidence that these slogans started showing up right around the time of the Cronulla riots.

Are the shirts themselves racist? No. The actions of others in relation to such shirts has made them offensive.

totally agree with this sentiment.

a w**ker is a w**ker, regardless of the shirt he wears.

Offline Mik01

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Scenic Rim 4x4
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2014, 10:41:43 AM »
RobM, I don't believe there is any critical mass for change in Australia.

yet.

and that's what we are arguing and fighting to protect.
Contact me for special MySwag prices on 4x4 accessories!
http://scenicrim4x4.com.au

Offline Mrs smith

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2014, 10:42:56 AM »
Maybe it's as easy as giving every new migrant one of these shirts for free when they arrive here.

Offline ATC

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2014, 10:46:38 AM »

Class action anyone ?

Might be a joke about Bogans & Class in there somewhere, but I'm not going there!

My only answer to the who storm in a 2XL blue singlet is a slighly different form of political incorrectness:-
Australia Day - Lamb Advertisments

When we used to get new team members come to work in Australia watching the Meat & Livestock Corporation Lamb Ad's from Australia Day was part of the informal induction.

It helped get them atuned to our sense of humor and general irreverance to anything serious / official.

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2014, 11:02:30 AM »
How about a new T- shirt with our flag and the slogan " Dont Destroy what you Came to ENJOY " ..
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 11:19:32 AM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline fishfinder

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2014, 11:35:48 AM »
I find it offensive that the colours of the shirt are not brown and yellow so i totally agree that they have been removed off the shelves
2004 Jayco Eagle Outback - 1999 Toyota Prado Snowy

Offline outbackogre

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2014, 11:53:54 AM »

Thanks Lori, a thoughtful and nuanced response to an emotive issue.
My friends call me Rob.  You can call me ... Rob!
NW auto diesel Pajero towing a Jayco Starcraft Outback.