Author Topic: Why is this racist?  (Read 43640 times)

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
Re: Why is this racist?
« Reply #125 on: October 19, 2014, 04:37:45 PM »
Failed history, didn't you John? ;D..... :P
Hey, We can always change History for a good laugh  ;D

Look forward to catching up at Rainbow beach next year.
Travel safe guys.
 :cheers:

You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Y62 S5 Nissan Patrol and Tanami 13 Hybrid
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #126 on: October 19, 2014, 05:29:24 PM »
Screw it I was being to soft.

This is xenophobic crap at its finest (the unreasoned fear of that which is perceived to be foreign or strange) and the lot of you should hang your heads in shame.  It goes against everything that our forefathers fought and died for.

Every Anzac day we wrap our selves in the Aussie flag and bask in the glow of all that Aussies did throughout the great wars and are still doing in war zones around the world.  Yet we pi55 that all down the sink with this nationalistic crap.

Australians were held in the highest regard until recently.  If you think we are still held like that you are poorly mistaken.  We turned our back on the 'fair go for all' with the Tampa, then the bloody bogan Cronulla Racist crap, disregarding the UNHCR and locking children up in hell holes like Nauru and now this crap.  Amazing how quick we can make ourselves look like racist brainless knobs.  Take East Timor.  We arrange for their independence then screw them over for their oil rights.  The poorest country in our region and we pat ourselves on the back for a job well done while knifing them in the back.

Our soldiers would turn in there bloody graves if they heard this crap and they fought for the bloody place.

Open your minds and actually think where this gets us.  Think of a conflict in the world that is not a result of nationalism.  Bet you struggle.  And while we are at it, ever noticed how most often this crap is shouted by bogan white australians.  Guess who are amongst the laziest unemployed and dumbest Australians - white bogans.

You are all smarter than stupid bogan white aussies and you know it.
I disagree with you in every way. If that makes me a stupid bogan white Aussie then that is your opinion.

The singlet had a picture of the Aussie flag with the comments "if you don't love it, leave" in my opinion, this goes for everything our forefathers and ANZACS fought for and died for.  Seeing certain races of people that we have invited in to our country burning the Australian flag makes my blood boil, that would make every ANZAC turn in his grave.

My father fought for this country and he would turn in his grave to know how this country has changed. As the singlet says "if you don't like our way of life, F&@$ off. Don't try and ban Christmas carols burn the Aussie flag and try and bring in sharia law.

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #127 on: October 19, 2014, 06:14:15 PM »
Dazzler and Muzza01, I don't disagree with either of you.  I love Australia and it's multicultural culture.  The freedoms I have and freedoms my family have is part of that culture. 

Dazzler, I agree that there are things which our Governments do that I may not agree with but that does not mean I do not like Australia. Also there are facets of the Community that I may not agree with but in the words of albeit an American soldier and it should stand for Our Diggers as well, they fought and died so that we have the freedoms to be what we are.  If that means being a bogan so be it.  We all have the freedom of choice to be who and what we are.  If you aspire to be the bottom of the gene pool or a pillar of society so be it.

I have no issue with who comes to Australia, all I would like to see is they accept our multicultural society. Yes to be honest I would like them to learn English but I also have no issue with them maintaining their own family culture. 

What I don't like is when they come to Australia and expect us to change our multicultural culture and accept their ways and laws.   Our ANZACS fought so we could keep our freedom.  If we did not do the same it would show their efforts was a waste of time. 

If that makes me Xenophobic or a bogan, so be it. 
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #128 on: October 19, 2014, 06:15:20 PM »
If it is the slogan you disagree with because Bogans chant it, what would be an alternative????
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #129 on: October 19, 2014, 06:54:06 PM »
Dazzler my old man fought for this country and ultimately ended up dying as a result of injuries received in that fight and I can guarantee he would disagree with just about everything you just said but he would be proud that he was part of the fight that gave you the right to have your say
i agree with you that he would be turning in his grave but not for the reasons you stated

macca

Offline briann532

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #130 on: October 20, 2014, 04:31:04 PM »
This thread is going deeper and deeper into the poo and I can understand why.
People are very passionate about their belief's and their culture and heritage.

Regardless of peoples thought and opinions which I respect as well as agree and or disagree, our country has laws.
These laws are what govern us, not religion or culture.

Regardless of ANY opinions or thoughts, the law is the law.
Everyone of every culture must follow them or be held accountable.

A lot of this can be solved by simply acknowledging other peoples belief's or customs, but following up a with a resounding "NO"
Yes you are entitled to the freedom of your beliefs, but if they conflict with the law, the law will be enforced.
Simple as that.
Back to a swag!
BitsiShity Tryton
Spending most of my time at the farm in Dalton!

Offline Trailer Bloke

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • You never know what's around the corner
« Reply #131 on: October 20, 2014, 04:50:46 PM »
If a person or family migrate to this country for a better life I think they should respect the ways we live and our history both black and white don't bite the hand that feeds you.
Cheers Jon
Toyota Kluger towing a Ezytrail Tarwin http://gallery.myswag.org/gallery/v/Trailer+Bloke/

Offline Oldandslow

• Tent User
« Reply #132 on: October 20, 2014, 05:28:49 PM »

This is xenophobic crap at its finest (the unreasoned fear of that which is perceived to be foreign or strange) and the lot of you should hang your heads in shame.  It goes against everything that our forefathers fought and died for.

Every Anzac day we wrap our selves in the Aussie flag and bask in the glow of all that Aussies did throughout the great wars and are still doing in war zones around the world.  Yet we pi55 that all down the sink with this nationalistic crap.

Australians were held in the highest regard until recently.  If you think we are still held like that you are poorly mistaken.  We turned our back on the 'fair go for all' with the Tampa, then the bloody bogan Cronulla Racist crap, disregarding the UNHCR and locking children up in hell holes like Nauru and now this crap.  Amazing how quick we can make ourselves look like racist brainless knobs.  Take East Timor.  We arrange for their independence then screw them over for their oil rights.  The poorest country in our region and we pat ourselves on the back for a job well done while knifing them in the back.

Our soldiers would turn in there bloody graves if they heard this crap and they fought for the bloody place.

Open your minds and actually think where this gets us.  Think of a conflict in the world that is not a result of nationalism.  Bet you struggle.  And while we are at it, ever noticed how most often this crap is shouted by bogan white australians.  Guess who are amongst the laziest unemployed and dumbest Australians - white bogans.

That has got to be some of the most twisted comments I have ever read on the subject of patriotism. I know nothing about you Dazzler but from your comments I can only assume that you don't get around much.

It is also obvious that you have never served in the ADF for if you had you would realize that it is exactly what our forefathers fought and died for.

I have been to 28 countries in the last three years an can assure you that real Australians are held in very high regard by the rest of the world.

To call Australians "bogans" just because they are patriotic and want Australia to retain its identity is very sad and ignorant, it would make all the diggers that made the ultimate sacrifice turn in their graves.

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life's to short to drive a boring vehicle.
« Reply #133 on: October 20, 2014, 05:59:28 PM »
On the contrary, dazzler has had a lot to do with persons from overseas who have come from distant lands and have been forcably repatriated back to unknown ends.

I actually share his view in that  I find it sad that our national emblem can be used in this way. The slogan isn't racist as such, but when attached to an icon like our flag its acts as a marshalling point for those with xenophobic views, which is something I doubt our diggers would actually appreciate, as they served to preserve a world where a fair go for all and persecution of minorities, like the Jews, was a norm for some.

A fine point of differentiation I know. Topics like this usually get very personal to those involved, and a few words in a screen often get taken out of the complete context.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 06:01:04 PM by Mace »
2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2009 Coromal 452
2002 Commodore SS (The Toy)

Offline Terry W4

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Retired - loving every minute of it
« Reply #134 on: October 20, 2014, 06:45:36 PM »
I have been watching this thread since it was started and must say was reluctant to post a view because I feared I would be abused. 

My view is very simple - There is nothing racist about the actual statement. But LOVING an IT - is a bot strange. Some bits I love and some bits I loath - like Sydney traffic.

But I am sure that what people are saying is that some of the people who tend to buy these Aussie icons more than often are not open minded and have particular racist attitudes that they want to promote and they specifically target various ethnic communities. 

I find it sad that a website that is devoted to camping and 4 wheel driving can get so many posts on this subject. I happy to share my experience of refugees and asylum seekers and views of national security anytime with people who seriously what to discuss but not on MYSWAG.

OK - there it is.
Terry - Canberra ACT
2008 Prado 120 D4D and 2009 Swan Outback
Blog Travels with Terry: https://terrywalls.wordpress.com

Marschy

« Reply #135 on: October 20, 2014, 07:15:37 PM »

To call Australians "bogans" just because they are patriotic and want Australia to retain its identity is very sad and ignorant, it would make all the diggers that made the ultimate sacrifice turn in their graves.

Just because someone fought in whatever war, and made the ultimate sacrifice does not grant them immediate reprieve from being a bogan or a xenophobe or even make them a patriot. I'm pretty sure there was a good mixture of all of the above characteristics in Australians who fought in all of the wars.

People who had relatives who fought in wars for Australia have no more right to claim they are more patriotic than someone who stepped off a boat 5 years ago and has just become a citizen.

My Great Uncle enlisted in the Australian Army in the latter part of the first world war. He came from Schleswig-Holstein which was a duchy of Denmark at the time he left and is now part of Northern Germany again. But one might ask themselves why he changed his name from his Germanic sounding Danish name just prior to enlisting.

Phsst, bogans, patriots, xenophobes, give me a break. The day people start sharing the thought that we all live on this little planet called Earth and start treating each other with respect is when these words will disappear from our vocabularies.

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #136 on: October 20, 2014, 10:42:56 PM »
On the contrary, dazzler has had a lot to do with persons from overseas who have come from distant lands and have been forcably repatriated back to unknown ends.

I actually share his view in that  I find it sad that our national emblem can be used in this way. The slogan isn't racist as such, but when attached to an icon like our flag its acts as a marshalling point for those with xenophobic views, which is something I doubt our diggers would actually appreciate, as they served to preserve a world where a fair go for all and persecution of minorities, like the Jews, was a norm for some.

A fine point of differentiation I know. Topics like this usually get very personal to those involved, and a few words in a screen often get taken out of the complete context.

I can see what your say (and Dazzler) and I agree our Governments at times do things which we would rather were done differently.  At least we live in a Country where we can safely say they have f#@*ed up and there are things we can do about it unlike some other Countries, we still have a freedoms.  That is worth fighting for.
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #137 on: October 21, 2014, 08:06:56 AM »
Boring Cornflakes - The Young Ones - BBC Small | Large
it fits ..LOL ;D
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #138 on: October 21, 2014, 08:08:59 AM »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #139 on: October 21, 2014, 11:11:29 AM »
Apathy - another great Australian tradition
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline Robbo

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Put another banger on the barbie
« Reply #140 on: October 21, 2014, 12:23:46 PM »
This thread was originally started to hear our views on the "Love it or leave it" slogan on tee shirts and was it racist. Most so far appear to agree that it is not. Unfortunately we have members of our society who have expressed a hatred for our country and its citizens and have threatened to do damage and harm to us. This is exactly who that slogan refers to and the sooner they leave the better.
Unfortunately Dazzlers angry rant is a humanitarian issue and not a racist issue and the people to whom he refers are not the target of this thread and i find his reference to our soldiers offensive, as it appears do others. Your reference to those of us who support the slogan as "Bogans" does not do your credibility any favours either.
I am all for helping others on humanitarian grounds but we can't help the whole world and we should start by treating our Aboriginees and Pensioners better than some of the refugees that are being settled here.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #141 on: October 21, 2014, 12:50:52 PM »
Quote from: Robbo
I am all for helping others on humanitarian grounds but we can't help the whole world and we should start by treating our Aboriginees and Pensioners better than some of the refugees that are being settled here.
people have been shot for suggesting such logical things in the past... ask any pensioner how much of a pittance they live on...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #142 on: October 21, 2014, 12:51:40 PM »
This thread was originally started to hear our views on the "Love it or leave it" slogan on tee shirts and was it racist. Most so far appear to agree that it is not. Unfortunately we have members of our society who have expressed a hatred for our country and its citizens and have threatened to do damage and harm to us. This is exactly who that slogan refers to and the sooner they leave the better.
Unfortunately Dazzlers angry rant is a humanitarian issue and not a racist issue and the people to whom he refers are not the target of this thread and i find his reference to our soldiers offensive, as it appears do others. Your reference to those of us who support the slogan as "Bogans" does not do your credibility any favours either.

Well said Robbo, could not agree more

macca

Offline swanny

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Lets go Camping......!!!!!!!
« Reply #143 on: October 21, 2014, 01:52:44 PM »

And not one word about the slogan on a t-shirt or singlet.....hahahaha......whos smart.....lol

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #144 on: October 21, 2014, 01:55:10 PM »

« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 01:57:34 PM by Bird »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Nomad

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #145 on: October 21, 2014, 08:22:36 PM »
This thread is all too hard to quantify......I am going to go and have some halal approved vegemite on toast to eat and think about it.

Offline Swannie

• Are we there yet
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #146 on: October 21, 2014, 08:45:54 PM »
what does xenaphobe mean?

Swannie
1994 80 series RV Land Cruiser  (Frank the Tank)
2015 200 series gxl TTD (Bruiser The Cruiser)
2015 Jayco Starcraft 17:58-3 OB (Starsky)

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #147 on: October 21, 2014, 09:33:01 PM »
what does xenaphobe mean?

Swannie

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenophobia

Xenophobia is the unreasoned fear of that which is perceived to be foreign or strange.[1][2] It comes from the Greek words ????? (xenos), meaning "strange", "foreigner", and ????? (phobos), meaning "fear".[3] Xenophobia can manifest itself in many ways involving the relations and perceptions of an ingroup towards an outgroup, including a fear of losing identity, suspicion of its activities, aggression, and desire to eliminate its presence to secure a presumed purity.[4] Xenophobia can also be exhibited in the form of an "uncritical exaltation of another culture" in which a culture is ascribed "an unreal, stereotyped and exotic quality".[5] Vienna Declaration and Programme of Action urges all governments to take immediate measures and to develop strong policies to prevent and combat all forms and manifestations of racism, xenophobia or related intolerance, where necessary by enactment of appropriate legislation including penal measure.[6]
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #148 on: October 21, 2014, 09:57:15 PM »

xenophobia or related intolerance, where necessary by enactment of appropriate legislation including penal measure.[6]
Now they are starting to get a bit rich ...so what happens to those that  the trouser snake dont measure up or is bigger than [6]. :angel:
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 09:59:57 PM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline BBwilly

• Tent User
« Reply #149 on: November 01, 2014, 04:54:26 PM »
then the bloody bogan Cronulla Racist crap,

Funny enough I was in nulla when that happened it was a simmering pot for many years Dazzler since I was a young teen police and government were aware of it but did nothing.
I was beaten to a pulp by three Lebanese guys walking to my late mums unit in front of the memorial lucky enough a group of young guys came to my rescue I did and said nothing to cause this I wasn't the first not the last.

I am amazed it didn't happen sooner to be honest there is a long history of certain groups coming into Cronulla and causing issues and don't get me started on the boys in blue in the area.

I think the government and this Team Australia BS are a bad joke..... but what can we do,all we can hope for is the people to wake up.