Author Topic: Gas Hose Extension  (Read 1742 times)

Offline @fnq4now

• Tent User
Gas Hose Extension
« on: April 15, 2014, 07:53:25 PM »
I have a query for any plumbers/gas fitters, or anyone else in the know.

I have a small gasmate BBQ that came with a short hose that has a combined regulator/controller at the BBQ end, not the gas bottle end. Because the hose is so short I'd like to extend it, ideally by say, 1.5 meters. I've searched and read various opinions, some being the distance I'm looking at is fine, others saying the world will end if I do this. Can anyone tell me if it would be safe to do so? If not safe, is it possible to run a regulator at the bottle end, and also the regulator/controller at the BBQ end?
"The problem with common sense is that it's just not very common."

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Gas Hose Extension
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 09:21:25 PM »
Going by the fact that as described the current hose has a control valve/regulator  at the appliance end of the hose tells me that it is a high pressure appliance. If the regulator was at the bottle end then i would assume that it was a low pressure appliance.I assume you want to extend the hose to overall length of approx 1.5 m . This can be done with the appropriate hose and fittings. You don't need to relocate the control valve to the bottle end. As this would not be considered a gas installation as you are only connecting direct to a lpg bottle you are  able to do this  changing the hose. As with any work involving gas the need to check the changed hose for leaks is paramount, and the easiest way is soap n water or even a spray spray n wipe type cleaner. 

Offline HEM19X

• Hard Top Camper User
  • If I agree with you, then we would both be wrong!
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 03:29:50 AM »
The problem with longer hoses is that the gas re-liquidfies in the hose & can cause flare ups.

That said, 1.5m should be Ok, Contact your local gas plumber, they should have a longer hose, or can make one up for you.
2019 BT50 with custom canopy and lots of fruit. Towing a 2014 Lotus Freelander [welcome to the dark side]

Offline @fnq4now

• Tent User
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 11:18:11 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys.
"The problem with common sense is that it's just not very common."