Author Topic: Sealed beam or H4  (Read 1974 times)

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
Sealed beam or H4
« on: April 02, 2013, 04:17:46 PM »
Need to throw some new headlights at the Rodeo. Are H4 inserts noticeably brighter than sealed beam? Got the choice of either.
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
Re: Sealed beam or H4
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 04:43:48 PM »
Are H4 inserts noticeably brighter than sealed beam?

Yup, I fitted IPF H4 inserts to the GQ and it was noticeably brighter. Make sure you fit a new wiring loom too.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
Sealed beam or H4
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 07:21:06 PM »
H4 without question. Maybe even consider HID if possible.
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline Brad_m

• Tent User
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 07:38:25 PM »
It's going to depend on the quality of the gear you fit and if your wiring is up to the job or not.
I used sealed beams because I don't like my head lights filling up with water when crossing creeks etc. (I had to learn that one the hard -expensive- way)

Attention COMMODORE DRIVERS, there is a stick near your steering wheel that makes orange lights flash on the outside of your car!!! These are used to tell people in advance that you intend to turn a corner or change lanes.

Offline kylarama

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 07:56:07 PM »
If your pockets aren't that deep then stick with decent quality sealed beams. 

Years ago I brought a set of unknown brand H4 inserts on ebay and fitted them to the Hilux with decent Phillips globes and they made a big difference, but as Brad_m said first river crossing and they looked like fish bowls!  Within 2 years the silver reflectors had dulled and the glass discoloured, a big stone finally put one out of it's misery and I refitted the original sealed beams complete with their yellow glow.

Managed to pick up a set of 2nd hand IPF inserts complete with globes on ebay for $35 delivered, still with their original boxes!  Still have never got around to doing a loom upgrade, but the difference between the IPF's and cheap ones is massive.  No fish bowls either! 

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 11:10:21 PM »
Thanks all

Jules no Hid, it's going for its blue slip to become an New South Welshman. The original sealed units  have got like an overspray effect but on the inside! Figured they would fail? Repco offered up sealed beams or H4 glass with Parking globes, looked pretty cheap and nasty tbh. Might see what ARB want for IPFs, I need to get a new blinker from them for the bullbar.
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim