Author Topic: CT set up while hitched to vehicle  (Read 6450 times)

Offline @fnq4now

• Tent User
CT set up while hitched to vehicle
« on: June 20, 2012, 01:14:07 PM »
Hi guys.  Ive seen a few photo's of peoples CT's set up and it looks like they are still hitched to the vehicle.  Is this common practice with most people?  How long would you generally leave the CT hitched to the vehicle when set up?  ie overnighters?, longer? etc
"The problem with common sense is that it's just not very common."

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
Re: CT set up while hitched to vehicle
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 01:15:20 PM »
From what I have seen, seems to be a quick overnight stop thing...
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• It's all about the Journey ...
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 01:18:06 PM »

I guess if the ground is perfectly flat and you don't need to access the drivers side of anything or love walking around, then yes ... it would be fine.

Just remember to unplug the anderson and any other things otherwise you may not be going anywhere the next morning!  And then remember to re-connect everything the next morning or people following you may not know where you are going and your brakes might not work.

We disconnect everything everytime for this reason.

Kit_e
2010 Hilux SR5 & 2010 Aussie Swag Rover LX
My Blog

Offline Pipeliner

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • I'm too old to rough it!
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 01:29:52 PM »
Just remember to unplug the anderson and any other things otherwise you may not be going anywhere the next morning! 

Never bothered to do that, never had a problem.  The Anderson is wired through a dual battery controller so even if the 240Ah batteries in the camper ran down overnight (highly unlikely) it wouldn't affect the ability to start the towhorse.  Hopefully most people have their connections wired up in a similar manner.

Do you speak from experience, Kit_e_kat9?
Camping is great as long as the mattress is inner spring!

homerj

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 01:30:47 PM »
I always unhitch mine , just in case I have a brain fart and drive off with out thinking (I am a male ,so this could happen).

time

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 01:56:57 PM »
For overnight I don't bother to unhitch.  Park on a flat surface, or if necessary run the rear wheels of the tug up ramps or the trailer wheels depending on the lay of the land.  Don't disconnect any plugs, as mentioned above the camper is wired via the vehicle aux battery, not the starter.  I also use the jockey wheel on occasion to "steady" the camper.

Only issue for me is that the tug and trailer must be straight so that the rear barn doors of the tug can be opened for access to the fridges etc.  Never had a drama.  When camping for more than an overnight it is more convenient to disconnect from the tug and reverse it closer to the campers kitchen to enable ready access to the fridges.

Before setting off we have a routine to check all the things that need checking, so driving off with the jockey wheel down or the hand brake on etc shouldn't be a worry.

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 01:59:12 PM »
I used to set mine up for overnighters still hitched up. This would mean it was nose up, but then we slept head high, so it was fine. If we were stasying longer then we'd need the car and so unhitch.
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline Silvo

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The grass is greener where you water it..
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 02:05:15 PM »
another vote here for leaving it hitched up.

i only really unhitch it if i need to get into the back door as the prado has one big arse door and i can't open it fully with the trailer on.
Dan - 2015 Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE and Lifestyle Camper AT10 EVO

Offline Riguez

• Tent User
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 03:00:34 PM »
Before setting off we have a routine to check all the things that need checking, so driving off with the jockey wheel down or the hand brake on etc shouldn't be a worry.

We have that routine too ... supposedly ...  :-[   I have however been known to, ahem, drive off with the jockey wheel down (ouch) or the handbrake on (ouch) and once with both - 'why has the truck got no power?' I wondered..... I laughed when I found out ... but only after I'd berated myself severely with several choice words.

can still get into back of the ute when hooked up to CT and CT sits almost dead level on the hitch - so a fan of staying coupled for overnighters. Have a battery isolator with over ride switch too (put in by moi courtesy of the advice of good folks on this website  :cup:)
2010 Mitsubi Triton GLX-R

2009 Cub Brumby

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• It's all about the Journey ...
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 04:55:30 PM »
Do you speak from experience, Kit_e_kat9?

No, but there is always a first time for everything ... and since I have no idea what set up each person has car and camper wise ... I always give the most effective advice for the non-thinkers of our population ... that way they can never say "that darn kat ... she's a dill and so was I for listening to her" when they get a flat battery beyond the Stump.   ;D

Besides, that's his job.  Mine's just to make sure he's done it.   :cup:  Besides, it's a PITA to walk over the hitch around all the time if you need something from the drivers side ... eg: turning the gas on and off / accessing the other side compartments ... so we disconnect and use the vehicle as a "privacy" wall.

We don't have a dual battery as yet, so hence the precautions.  Sadly, we only do long / weekends as well.

Kit_e
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 09:46:28 PM by Kit_e_kat9 »
2010 Hilux SR5 & 2010 Aussie Swag Rover LX
My Blog

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 05:00:12 PM »
This years Cape Trip we will leave the car and camper hitched at some over night stays. Wind down the jockey wheel to level things out and away you go.

No problem.

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline Jason B

• "Mark Goldie recovery team coordinator"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • 80 Series Turbo DX Cruiser, Kimberley Kamper 2013 SE
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 05:09:03 PM »
For overnight I don't bother to unhitch.  Park on a flat surface, or if necessary run the rear wheels of the tug up ramps or the trailer wheels depending on the lay of the land.  Don't disconnect any plugs, as mentioned above the camper is wired via the vehicle aux battery, not the starter.  I also use the jockey wheel on occasion to "steady" the camper.

Only issue for me is that the tug and trailer must be straight so that the rear barn doors of the tug can be opened for access to the fridges etc.  Never had a drama.  When camping for more than an overnight it is more convenient to disconnect from the tug and reverse it closer to the campers kitchen to enable ready access to the fridges.

x2 we do exactly the same as this.

Offline Brettmc

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2012, 07:52:34 PM »
overnight stays when travelling i look for flat ground and open the Jayco swan up ,just misses the spare tyre by 20 mm.Unable to access anything in the rear of the cruiser but its only for a quick stop anyway.
Jayco Swan Outback sold waiting on a Expanda
PX Ranger.

Offline Brett

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • MySwag.org - The Off-road Camper Trailer forum
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2012, 09:43:57 PM »
We also stay hitched for quick overnighters. 
Cheers
Brett

Offline sablesoft

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Green Cub Supamatic Escape Off Road
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2012, 10:49:03 AM »
This years Cape Trip we will leave the car and camper hitched at some over night stays. Wind down the jockey wheel to level things out and away you go.

No problem.

Mark

Hi,

I do the same thing with my Challenger and my Cub Escape, Just need to run the jockey wheel down a bit to level the trailer. 

With the original hitch on the Challenger it did not work as the nose of the trailer was to low. I fitted a new hitch mounted with the plate high (lifted the trigg hitch 110mm ) now it tows the trailer with the nose down a little bit and looks much better behind the Challenger and allows setting up when still connected for quick overnights.

Ray
Green Cub Escape Off Road

Offline Beachman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2012, 11:56:37 AM »
Another one for leaving it hitched for quick overnight stays. Basically I’m just lazy as if it’s hitched it means I also don’t need to wind down the rear stabilisers.  But I do wind down the jockey wheel to take the weight off the car’s suspension.

Offline just startin

• Swag User
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2012, 06:03:52 PM »
Also leave it hitched up for overnight and a couple of days if tow tug not required if it is ( we put the steering lock on, it's a reminder that the C/T is still attached)

Offline Desert lover

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Challenge Meridian Offroad camper, GU Patrol.
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2012, 06:57:48 PM »
We also leave ours hitched to the Patrol for overnight only stops.  Also we never unplug the camper from the vehicle for these overnighters.  We do attempt to get a pretty level area and depending on the terrain may or maynot use the jockey wheel or the rear stabilising legs. 
Try all methods and you will soon come up with what suits you.
Cheers,
Desert Lover 
Desert Lover

Offline Smithy2

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2012, 08:19:49 PM »
We only unhitch if we need the car or if w are limited for space.....easier than moving round a very heavy ct.
You're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't !

Offline RosLed

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2012, 08:51:11 PM »

x2 we do exactly the same as this.

x 3.
Cheers,
Ross

Triton and Robust Camper