Author Topic: Where to buy tyres in Cairns  (Read 4040 times)

Offline @fnq4now

• Tent User
Where to buy tyres in Cairns
« on: May 30, 2012, 02:55:46 PM »
A question for Cairns members. Where do you buy your tyres? Undecided between BFG's and Coopers at this stage. Any help is appreciated.
"The problem with common sense is that it's just not very common."

Offline Smithy2

• Sleeping Bag User
Re: Where to buy tyres in Cairns
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 08:29:44 PM »
I suggest you shop in south west Vic  :cheers:
You're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't !

Offline rockman

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Live ... then don't
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 08:32:04 PM »
I get all my play tyres and work ( truck / trailer ) tyres from Tuff Tyres on Lyons St.

Offline Matto

• Don't Follow Me - I Won't Make It
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 09:01:26 PM »
Tuff Tyres at Gordonvale.

They'd only just opened the TT Cairns store when I was getting mine, and the CNS store was $10/tyre dearer than Gordonvale. I'm sure it was an honest mixup though - the people that run the Gordonvale store are wonderfully helpful. They spent the better part of an hour with me, under the truck, trying to get the spare to fit before we gave up.

Oh, and everyone knows that all the cool kids run BFGs :)

Good luck!
Matto :)
"I have a bunch of junk that is not any better than yours." - MoGas - ExPo member #226.

Offline Teabag

• The bush is my playground......
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "Better to be looking at it than looking for it"
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 10:02:12 PM »
I can tell you where not to go.......Tyrepower, they are shyt.....
2006 GU4 4.2TDi Patrol with many goodies. Currently no camper but have had a Customline Camper, Kimberly Kamper and Jayco Hawk....Tenting and Swagging it now..

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 03:16:36 AM »
I can tell you where not to go.......Tyrepower, they are shyt.....

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline rockman

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Live ... then don't
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 05:44:37 AM »
I had tried Bridgestone over the break to get some wheels balanced , I was being a bit impantiant and Tuff Tyres was closed for the break ..... they couldn't even balanced the wheels properly .
Tyrepower is probably the biggest joke
Jaks will promise you the world .................and not deliver ..... thats their promise ... LOL

Offline Bill

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 07:46:43 AM »
Sorry to hear that Teabag and Mark.I have always had excellent service from tyre power. They were also the cheapest when I got my Coopers. Mind you that was a couple years ago.
Bill and Morag
"The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
-unknown

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 08:21:56 AM »
Hi Bill,
I agree with the guys about TyrePower.
Two outlets that I've dealt with here are rude, over priced and tell you that you need work done that doesn't or don't check what you've asked them to.
Outlet 1, Told the wife she needed new tyres and wheel alignment, got a second opinion, nothing wrong with them.
When questioned, I was told she didn't have her car in here.
Outlet 2, Had a vibration at 80k's, ask them to rebalanced the tyres & CHECK the uni joins.
Picked the Cruiser up, stung me 80 bucks and told me that every thing is fine, nothing wrong with the uni's.
Drove home and it was worse, shook like an epileptic on Ice.
Asked a mate who is a spanner swinger, yes all four uni's were rooted.
This was some 5 years ago, never been back, same guys still run them, yet they have a reputation of being rude, dear and rip offs, yet they are always busy.
Go figure.
 :cheers:

Edit:
If I'm going to bag one brand, I really should give a big wrap to Chris @ the Repco Store in Hawker SA.
Last October I ripped the side wall of the right rear.
He organized for 4x  Bridgestone 604V's 31x10.5x15 overnight freighted and then fitted for a great price.   :cup:
 :cheers:
Chris
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 01:04:50 PM by Hairs »
You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline Matto

• Don't Follow Me - I Won't Make It
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 08:56:08 AM »
For quick stuff I've also used Beaurepairs, on the corner for Florence/Mulgrave and Sheridan. They're only a couple of hundred metres from work, so it's handy to be able to drop the car in and walk back. They've plugged a tyre for me, pulled a tyre off the rim to clean out the bead, that sort of thing. I find them great for that - helpful, can always fit you in, and their prices are reasonable.

That said, when I was looking for tyres for the Subaru, their quote was massively high. They had a set of OEM WRX alloys that they were willing to sell me, the problem was they were very second-hand, and yet they wanted as-new prices. Fair enough, WRX alloys are a bit of a special consideration (they're forged, made by Enkei, very very good quality, very very light weight), but I still wasn't going to pay $1200 for 4 scrubbed, scuffed old mags. I ended up getting 4 x new 17" wheels and tyres shipped up from Sydney, for only marginally more than I'd been quoted locally for just replacement tyres.

Another bump for Tough Tyres - the Father-in-Law had them supply and fit a set of 5 x BFG AT's on 16x7" white sunnies. They were ~$100/corner cheaper than the next-cheapest quote. He couldn't be happier.

My $0.02!

Cheers!
Matto :)
"I have a bunch of junk that is not any better than yours." - MoGas - ExPo member #226.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Barrabart

• "Queenslander forever, forever Queenslander"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2012, 10:33:31 AM »
haha, yep last time i was in at Tyre Power i was checking out the new 4 rib Micky T, and wanted to compare them with Coopers latest, i was chasing a bit of product knowledge on the 2 brands, and a bit of a tyre comparo.......... when i entered the shop a women in there offered to serve me, no problems, anyway possibly she was very new to the tyre business so i won't say too much against her, but when i asked for a bit of a run down on the different tread patterns, brands etc...... the best i could get from her was....... "errrr these are all for 4wd's"........... My goodness, no sh*t Sherlock!!!!.......
Now everyone has to start somewhere so i didn't bother with any more in depth questioning on the tyres, i let her give me some prices on a card and left.
My problem with the whole experience is the guys behind the counter didn't look overly busy and were within ear shot of our discussion on tyres, if she was new to the tyre business wouldn't you think one of the other staff would of come over to see if all was satisfactory??
Trackabout Safari towed by an old HJ75 Cruiser Tray Back.. Lovin'it!!!

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2012, 12:27:15 PM »
Sorry to hear that Teabag and Mark.I have always had excellent service from tyre power. They were also the cheapest when I got my Coopers. Mind you that was a couple years ago.
Bill and Morag

Went into the Cairns Tyre power store and was chasing a mag that I needed. The smart a&** behind the counter says they dont make them. I said I have 5 already. He then said he will make a phone call. He dialled the number and started talking straight away to no one and then said no they dont make them. Crap I said you didn't talk to anyone and walked out and bought the mag at another store. Will never walk in there again. A bunch of wankers !!

Mark     

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

Offline barraboy

• Tent User
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2012, 12:42:03 PM »
2 weeks ago I purchased 5 Falken Wild peak AT Tyres for $305 each 265/65 R17 from Bob Jane TMart along Mulgrave Road. Happy with the prompt service and also pricing was very keen.

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2012, 01:51:37 PM »
2 weeks ago I purchased 5 Falken Wild peak AT Tyres for $305 each 265/65 R17 from Bob Jane TMart along Mulgrave Road. Happy with the prompt service and also pricing was very keen.

Gee Martin did you buy that brand...i heard they had a recall on them  ;D

Only joking  :-*

Mark

Offline @fnq4now

• Tent User
Where to buy tyres in Cairns
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2012, 07:37:59 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll make some calls & see how I go.
"The problem with common sense is that it's just not very common."