Author Topic: Flinders Range national park  (Read 4187 times)

Offline albany_nomads

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Dylan..Mans best friend
    • John Grant Photography
Flinders Range national park
« on: April 22, 2012, 01:49:25 AM »
The Albany Nomads are off as May (got 3.5 weeks) plan was originally to go to South Oz and then head through the Grampians across to Geelong back along the Great Ocean Rd through Mt Gambia with a visit to Eyre Pennisula if time permitted and then home to WA.
BUT I think I'm going to be cutting things tight for the time frame plus the weather in Victoria will most likely be on the turn and getting fowl come May. SO

PLAN B is to visit the Eyre Pennisula for say a 4 day break on the way over and then head up to the Flinders Range National Park
Never been to South Oz so I'm chasing some recommendations for camp sites or grounds to take the Hawk. in particular for the Flinders
(I'm not your Roothy and Milo type driver (I have to work to hard) so gravels fine but  I start to give it a miss if i need winches and snatch straps (though I do carry snatch straps and recovery gear in the car but they to get me out of trouble not in it  :D)
Also weather..all I hear is stories about creeks having flash floods in the Flinders, campers getting washed away and roads blocked off..what can i expect for weather in May in  the Flinders around Wilpena ..any of you been there this time of year (May).
I seen photos of Wilpena and it looks very impressive and heard some one mention Willow Springs..is it worth a visit, can I get the Hawk into willow springs and I gather there is some camp grounds
many thanks in advance..whilst Ive been over east many times this is my first time driving and towing the camper over there so Im looking forward to the trip.
Kind Regards John
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 01:53:01 AM by albany_nomads »
Kind Regards: John, Nola & Dylan (The Albany Nomads )

MY BLOG:   http://johngrantphotography.wordpress.com/

Offline Fred Bear

• Learning the Ropes
Re: Flinders Range national park
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 08:47:46 AM »
John

You'll have no problems getting the van into the Camp grounds at Willow Springs or the other option is to stay at Rawnsley Park, if you are going to check the Eyre peninsula out I would recommend staying at Coffin bay either in the park or one of the many camp spots in the area. If you are travelling this far it may be worth visiting the Yorke Peninsula as well there are limited free camp areas although Innes national park has some there are many good cheap caravan parks and the area is well worth a look.

Fred
Fred Bear

Offline Stozz

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • The Driver, The Nav and The Dog
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 07:52:30 PM »
Hi John

We did a similar trip last year.  Because we took The Dog we couldn't camp in the national parks. Instead we stayed at Mt Ive Station (Gawler Ranges) and Merna Mora Station (Flinders). Both were bush camping with no facilities unless you went to the homestead for a shower.  Closer to each homestead there were some camping areas that had access to power if you needed it (we didn't).  We explored the Flinders Ranges on foot, in car and a scenic flight (do it!) and noticed lots of very popular camping areas in the ranges at Parachilna and Brachina Gorges. We drove through the Rawnsley Park Station caravan park and it was HUGE, but if you don't need power then there is a more informal, semi-bush section that is well spaced out.

Eyre Peninsula is fantastic - we are huge fans having travelled and camp in the area three times now.  Coffin Bay (caravan park or national park) are both fabulous.  Heaps to see and do regardless of the weather and wind direction. Lots of bays, tracks and scenery to explore.  Just out of Coffin Bay you can camp at Farm Beach, Greenly Beach or further up the west coast at Elliston, Sheringa, Venus Bay and further north - all great spots.  On the east coast there are some free camping areas noted in the Camps 5 book, but we ended up in Port Lincoln. (The Tumby Bay caravan park seemed old and dilapidated, which is a shame as Tumby Bay itself is beautiful - reminded me of Busselton but with islands offshore).  Out of Port Lincoln is the Lincoln National Park - we have camped there before. Our favourite spot was September Beach - just beautiful. Most of the campsites in the park had drop-dunnies that were cleaned daily but there is no water.  Lots of well marked camping areas (pine bollards and big bushes separate the well spaced campsites). Each location within the park seemed to have only 6 or less camp sites.

Make sure you go to Cactus Beach if you have time.  Great camping spot with world renowned surfing history and reputation.  It's cheap, basic, firewood and fireplaces provided, drop dunnies, good fishing. http://myswag.org/forum/index.php?topic=747.msg257192#msg257192

A good overnight caravan park on the eastern end of the Nullarbor is at Penong (about 70km west of Ceduna, from memory).  They have lots of really big sheds, lean to's and hedges where you can set up your camper and protected from any bad weather.

We accessed all of the above and below places with our Pajero and trailer (first trip) and our Landcruiser & O/B Swan on the other trips.

Coffin Bay National Park (fishing) : http://teamstozz.aussieblogs.com.au/2011/09/29/coffin-bay-national-park/
Mt Ive : http://myswag.org/forum/index.php?topic=747.msg257184#msg257184
Merna Mora : http://myswag.org/forum/index.php?topic=747.msg257187#msg257187

Some more details on the blog too.

Pics from Lincoln National Park
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 07:57:03 PM by Stozz »

Offline albany_nomads

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • John Grant Photography
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 09:47:45 PM »
Thanks STOZZ so much for all that info, photos, url's and your blog report....Just cant wait to go now..this has really wet my appetite..only two weeks and were off
Also thanks Fred for your pointers, much appreciated

Offline cruisindub

• Volksing Matilda. We Love Our Matilda.
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 12:18:36 AM »
Hi John
You escaping the relentless rain?

Weather looks fine this coming week. Hopefully be able to mow the jungle I've got out back.

Must catch up sometime soon.

Cheers Cruisindub
Why do people ask "What the hell were you thinking?"
Obviously I was thinking I was going to get away with it and not have to explain it....

Offline ondaboat

• Tent User
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 12:20:47 AM »
Howdy John
One place you also need to got to if in Lincoln National Park is Memory Cove. Beautiful place with only 5 campsites. Access is via a locked gate, need to book through Lincoln Visitor Information Centre 08 8683 3544.

Regards Adam

Camprite TL8s towed by 2007 D4D Prado with lots of goodies.

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 10:04:25 AM »
We went to Flinders last year, only for 5 days which was way too short.
The first 2 nights we stayed at Chambers Gorge, free camping. The other 3 nights was at the Wilpuna Campsite.
There is so much to see. Glass Gorge is beautifull.
On our way back we did the Eyre Peninsula and camped north east of Whyalla, Sceale Bay. On the Eyre Highway, we drove south for 13 kms just before the Nullarbor Roadhouse. We camped on the edge of the cliffs with the whales below us. Apart from the strong wind that wind, it was a great spot.
- Kimberley Kamper Sports RV Limited Edition
- Lexus LX470 V8, E-locker, ARB Sahara bullbar

Offline NewMax

• Tent User
Flinders Range national park
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 11:09:21 AM »
Hi, we also loved Memory Cove.  With locked gate means small numbers. Road in is a bit slow but not tricky. Emu dolphins and albatross.

NewMax

Offline albany_nomads

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • John Grant Photography
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 07:30:57 PM »
Thanks Max
As that was going to be a question..can you get a Jayco down to memory Cove..but a picture means a thousand words..
And thanks  Will  ..I make sure I leave plenty of time to explore the Flinders   Kind Regards John

Offline NewMax

• Tent User
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 11:44:14 AM »
Road in to Memory Cove is fine was though a bit of a squeeze backing in to campspot - our camper is a Flamingo and a bit heavy to maneuvere by hand when on sandy campsites.

Offline Nutto

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Burning desire to camp.....
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 12:25:08 PM »
John
Have a look at our blog (link in sig line) from our extended trip late last year.  There is info & pics there on where we stayed in the Flinders (not in a crowded, cramped wilpena pound, that's for sure....) and Eyre peninisula, Lincoln NP etc.   We got our hawk into all sorts of places, and it's these places that were simply far better (IMO) to the mainstream CP's
We had a S.A nat parks holiday pass, which paid for itself after 3 days so we spent about 2 weeks all up in various N.P's.

:cheers:
Nutto

Offline mudbro2

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 09:54:08 PM »
Hi John.   You won`t be disapointed with the Flinders Ranges, Wilpena is a great spot to camp and in May will not be crowded at all. There are a number of stations that have private camping (google flinders ranges stations) if you don`t need power (although some offer it) and most have longdrop toilets at each campsite and a shower block near the homestead, and firewood is easier to find. We have stayed at Willow springs (22k,s north of wilpena) & Alpana station (near Blinman) and easily accessable with your camper. Parachilna gorge has some great free campsites scatered along the gorge with Angorichina village situated halfway between Parachilna and Blinman with general store including bottle shop. No matter where you decide to stay it is magnificent scenery.  Phil.