Author Topic: Roof Rack Pros & Cons  (Read 14819 times)

Offline Squalo

• "Two Wheels Good"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Roof Rack Pros & Cons
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2012, 02:06:45 AM »
I'm running ARB's steel rack on my 90 series, and no mesh. Noise was a real issue, but local plastic fabricator made a wind deflector to fit for $70 (just friction fit folded perspex) and made a huge difference.

I'm glad you said that :) I bought an ARB wind deflector hoping it would work on my 'ARB-style' rack but it doesn't come close to fitting... it's available at a good price if anyone is interested. Still in the box it came in.
2007 Jimboomba Maddison Staircase
1995 GQ DX Patrol TD42

Offline Teabag

• The bush is my playground......
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "Better to be looking at it than looking for it"
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2012, 05:52:11 AM »
I posted earlier about my Tradesman Oval RR. I have never had issues with noise in any way shape or form. Interesting the issue with ARB racks....
2006 GU4 4.2TDi Patrol with many goodies. Currently no camper but have had a Customline Camper, Kimberly Kamper and Jayco Hawk....Tenting and Swagging it now..

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2012, 06:08:01 AM »
I'm glad you said that :) I bought an ARB wind deflector hoping it would work on my 'ARB-style' rack but it doesn't come close to fitting... it's available at a good price if anyone is interested. Still in the box it came in.

Funnily enough, I have a genuine rack and wiond deflector, though I got the deflector off my mate, and there is a 15mm gap between the lower edge of the defelctor and the underside of the rack, like it was made for a taller rack?
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline fuji

• "Tail End Charlie"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "nolle timere" Don't be afraid
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2012, 07:48:17 AM »
Hi ya
I have had several types. One ARB for my Prado and it was great, hardly any wind noise. Made of steel. Did the Simpson easy. The second, was rhino roof racks with cage. Okay but never used for serious stuff. The third is a Windcheetah from Opposite Lock. I highly recommend this one although it is flat and has no sides. . Did the Kimberleys and 20k of sealed and unsealed. Camewith a ladder.
Wayne
2017 (79 series) Landcruiser, and Evernew E100😎

Offline Mrs smith

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2012, 08:48:21 AM »
I posted earlier about my Tradesman Oval RR. I have never had issues with noise in any way shape or form. Interesting the issue with ARB racks....
Being another owner of an Oval by Tradesman Engineering I would have to second this, great rack and money well spent. Would also like to add the profile of the Oval tube used to make this rack makes it possible to use ratchet straps with hooks straight on the tube.

Offline whitey1

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Mr and Mrs Whiteys Great Oz Trek
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2012, 09:25:34 AM »
I've got a custom made alloy rack with a plywo :worthles:od floor. Its open at the back to make loading easy and has a wind deflector. As with most racks its a little noisy but you get used to it. Having the ply floor means that sticks wont scratch your roof if you use it for firewood and if you want a tiedown point somewhere you just drill a hole and bolt a loop in.

Toyota Prado D4D towing an custom built off road caravan
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mr-Mrs-Whiteys-Great-Oz-Trek/23574764645