Author Topic: How much additional canvas do you carry ?  (Read 10429 times)

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
Re: How much additional canvas do you carry ?
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2011, 03:28:16 PM »
Annex and two end walls, just about every time we go out in Victoria it gets wet to some degree, sometimes all trip long

GG

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2011, 11:30:22 PM »
My camper came with annex walls and floor that I have never opened it's bag in the 2 years I've had it.

My annex is permanently attached to the camper and gets folded with it. As the others do, I usually leave it folded over the camper roof for overnights in good weather. No end walls, they are part of the annex room. Usually stay no more than 3 nights.

After all that, I carry no extra canvas at all.
2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• It's all about the Journey ...
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2011, 06:54:19 PM »

We have the awning roof (always attached) & offside awning roof (stored under the bed) which comes as standard kit with walls as extra's depending on your requirements.  We always put up the main awning, but we are just doing 48 hour trips at present and not moving on the next day to another destination.  We will review this once we are truely "on the road" (fingers crossed that is soon).

After a few wet and windy weekends, we opted to buy Pack 1: two end walls, kitchen infill and draught flap.  The draught flap is great to stop the wind whipping through and we've used it a few times.  We've had one wall up (either end) a few times to stop rain or prying eyes and had the whole kit up once due to seriously inclement weather.  Haven't found a need to date for the rest of Pack 2, which is a wall that runs from end wall to end wall.  

There isn't all that much to carry really and we don't think what we have is really heavy ... second short awning, 2 end walls, a plastic draught flap and a small infill.  That final wall which we don't have may be the heavy one?

Kit_e

The Lot ...

Not the Lot ...
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 06:56:59 PM by Kit_e_kat9 »
2010 Hilux SR5 & 2010 Aussie Swag Rover LX
My Blog

Offline Crookedpete

• Swag User
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2011, 07:44:07 PM »
Interesting thread.

We've always used the shade cloth annexe floor and annexe/awning. Optional walls  - depending on weather. So far the weather has only been bad enough to put up the annexe side walls and not the front.  However, if we were camping regularly in a cold climate, I reckon the annexe walls including the draught skirt would get more use.

About 85% of our set up angst comes from zipping the awning on. I'm interested in how many people leave the awning zipped on all the time.

Does anyone who has a tropical roof leave it on? How does it the awning go packing up over a tropical roof ?

Pete

Offline tjwrexy

• Tent User
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2011, 08:19:55 PM »
Annex roof always attached and always put up (kitchen end wall is a part of the roof and cannot be removed), floor always put down.  Camped for 5 days earlier this year and all walls went up due to constant changes in weather and the direction the rain was coming.  Had another instance where we were camped facing the ocean and the very very cold wind came straight at out annex, put up the front wall and the difference it made was amazing.  Will be using all walls in colder weather from now on.

Recommend anyone who has received a wall kit with their purchase to take it out and check even if you never use it again.  6 months after our purchase I managed to talk the other half into putting up the walls to see how hard it is and we found the draft skirt was missing.  Went back to where we brought it and they found it in a back room (lucky).

Walls are always in the tool box, no issue with room as we have plenty.

Amazed with the amount of people who have never used their walls, I must be a sissy girl.  Yup just checked and I am  ;D.

Tammy
Tammy and Jeff
2010 Triton GLX-R and 2011 Aussie Swag Ultra G

Offline Jason B

• "Mark Goldie recovery team coordinator"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • 80 Series Turbo DX Cruiser, Kimberley Kamper 2013 SE
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2011, 09:23:17 PM »

We are pretty new to this also. We stayed in one spot over Easter (only the second time we have used the Kamper) and decided to put up the whole annex and walls for some privacy and protection from the wind. My intention is not to bother for weekends or 3 night short stays, and to just use the smaller awning or the large annex roof only.

It would also depend on the time of year. All of the canvas on our unit weighs heaps and takes up a fair bit of space. We carry it on top of the camper under the boat. For fair weather camping i will be leaving it at home.

Regards

Jas

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Never get sick of being here
    • Our Travel Blog - Have a look....
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2011, 11:28:43 PM »
Wow. There are some really big set ups - they look great. We don;t have the both ends, just one as it's attached to the awning as others have said.

In tow years of camping and that equates to 8 Months we only ever had one day of rain. Your scaring me with all this talk of rain guys. Spose I should check for leaks again before the Cape this year  :)
http://steveandviv.blogspot.com.au/

Offline albany_nomads

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Dylan..Mans best friend
    • John Grant Photography
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2011, 11:36:33 PM »
Interesting thread.

About 85% of our set up angst comes from zipping the awning on. I'm interested in how many people leave the awning zipped on all the time.

Does anyone who has a tropical roof leave it on? How does it the awning go packing up over a tropical roof ?

Pete

I always leave the awning Zipped and velcroed On
Kind Regards: John, Nola & Dylan (The Albany Nomads )

MY BLOG:   http://johngrantphotography.wordpress.com/

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2011, 10:02:27 AM »
We have only the ensuite and kwik awning as extra.
We have used the awning for all trips when we are staying more then 1 night.
The ensuite has been used twice.
We are looking at getting one end wall, the kitchen side.
- Kimberley Kamper Sports RV Limited Edition
- Lexus LX470 V8, E-locker, ARB Sahara bullbar

Offline cancan

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • "So long and thanks for all the fish"
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2011, 10:12:10 AM »
I have the full annex which I leave connected when I pack up plus full sides which we use for long stays and only if the weather gets bad  (everytime we have used the CT) on short trips.
Also have a 2nd annex which we havent used but only because we have not had the room.
Also carry 2 shade cloth floors for the annexes plus a big tarp to go over everything which we have used for both our long trips but again we have had crap weather everytime we have gone camping.
Jeep Grand Cherokee - Modcon Ecomate Traveller

Offline Crisp Image

• Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again!
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2011, 01:16:22 PM »
We have a side bedroom which gets put up on stays of 2 or more nights. The end walls of the annex get used every trip and the front wall gets put on to keep us a bit warmer while playing cards with the kids in the cooler months.
We carry it all. All of the time.
Regards
Crisp Image

2008 Outback Sturt, 2010 Prado 150 D4D Tug

Offline Crookedpete

• Swag User
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2011, 10:26:23 PM »
I always leave the awning Zipped and velcroed On

Anyone else with a tropical roof leave their awning zipped on and just fold it over when packing up??

Offline Redback

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2011, 11:03:08 AM »
We don't have a tropical roof, but we do fold the awning and side walls over, ours is permanent so we have no choice, but the walls zip off, we choose not to take them off, makes things much easier.

Baz.
Cheers Baz.

2011 Discovery 4 TDV6
1990 Perentie FFR  
Lightweight Camper.
1973 Kawasaki H2a 750 
1979 BMW R80/7
1983 BMW R100RT ex Police
2006 BMW R1200GS
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fool

Offline Beachman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2011, 12:31:04 PM »
We also have a kids room, so when staying more than 2 nights LOTS of canvas comes with us. The weather conditions are the main factor if the usethe side walls to the annex, but after a couple of wet days they were a godsend allowing the kids more dry space to move around.

All my canvas is carried under the tonneau cover, so it’s not like it’s taking up valuable space. The shower tent also lives under the tonneau as I can never work out how to fold the stupid thing up.