Author Topic: With today's technology, I cannot believe they haven't.....  (Read 26772 times)

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: With today's technology, I cannot believe they haven't.....
« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2014, 05:19:46 PM »
A diesel bowser hand piece that doesn't leak. >:(

Be easier to understand what a woman is thinking, so good luck with that.
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
    • Web Server in a Box Project
« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2014, 07:05:42 PM »
40 years ago we put man on the moon.  It was accomplished with such primitive computing power that todays electronic calculators have more capability.  In the years that followed, we were promised the technology would progress so far that we would be taking holidays in space by the year 2000 yet, here we are in 2014 and we haven't even returned to the moon, let alone Mars.  The Space Shuttle program seemed to usher in a new age but it has quietly been relegated to the history pages, never to be seen again in our lifetime.

I'm pretty sure the Challenger disaster had a fair bit to do with that, it took quite a while before anyone was game to shoot people back into space.  Putting that aside, why would anyone go back?  It's a damn expensive tourist trip. 

Mars is a bloody long way, anyone who goes there is facing a one way trip.

I cannot believe we haven't been able to effectively synchronise traffic lights.  You should be able to drive along a major road and not get a red light at every intersection.

There are heaps of people looking at this and there are all sorts of mathematical models to try and optimise traffic flow, I'm sure somewhere someone has got it right.

I cannot believe that ABC News Radio is transmitting on the AM band in Victoria where the tram network in Melbourne causes so much interference, you can't hear it...!

AM transmission will always be prone to interference from spark gaps, that's just the way it is.

Build a mine there, and guess what world class communications is assured.
If it can be done for multi-national mining companies, why not for our own people?

That's because the mine pays for it, including all the infrastructure to supply that service.  Did you think that the government gives all these things to mining companies for free?

I can't believe we can't goback in time and give Billy Ray Cyress a condom.

Someone give this man a beer.

We didn't - biggest con job of the century.  They filmed two men in a studio just to say they beat the Russians. Why didn't the Russians ever do it - because they couldn't.

I can't believe that people actually fall for this stupid conspiracy theory.  We have been to the moon six times - Apollo 11 to 17.  We have left stuff up there that people can track even now.  It's lunacy to suggest otherwise.

why all the expense dropping that fibre cable in the ground when we should be going wireless...

Because wireless is not better than fibre, not by a long shot.  Wireless is good for short distances at low bandwidth.  If you want to go any serious distance at high speed you need fibre.
Do not PM me for technical advice - start a thread.
HDJ79 Ute - 100 Series Sahara - 2002 Kimberley Kamper - No ATS yet - Survivor of 5 McGirr trips-Cape 09,11,12,14 & Gulf 13

Offline fisher

• Tent User
« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2014, 07:19:08 PM »
...made parts for a 2006 Spain built Nissan Navara D40 interchangeable with a 2006 Thai built Nissan Navara D40

Offline Mik01

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Scenic Rim 4x4
« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2014, 07:44:02 PM »
Because wireless is not better than fibre, not by a long shot.  Wireless is good for short distances at low bandwidth.  If you want to go any serious distance at high speed you need fibre.

So can someone please explain to me why I can watch (presumably) huge volumes of data, in the way of hd TV via foxtel satellite for $75/mth?

Why can't we all get a decent bandwidth and download via satellite for a reasonable price? I just don't understand. I hardly get a decent mobile signal, but I can watch TV in hd....
Contact me for special MySwag prices on 4x4 accessories!
http://scenicrim4x4.com.au

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #54 on: September 02, 2014, 08:14:48 PM »
So can someone please explain to me why I can watch (presumably) huge volumes of data, in the way of hd TV via foxtel satellite for $75/mth?

Why can't we all get a decent bandwidth and download via satellite for a reasonable price? I just don't understand. I hardly get a decent mobile signal, but I can watch TV in hd....

because satellite comms and wireless comms are two totally different beasts.  to provide enough satellite bandwidth for everyone, at the speed of fixed line broadband, would cost multiple billions of dollars and would be a waste of money.

Offline Chippy76

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • :D
« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2014, 08:21:17 PM »
 With today's technology, I cannot believe they haven't.....

figured out how to synchronise the handrail with the escalator/travelator ..... why do they never move at the same rate ???

cheers Chippy :D
"All ice is thin ...cross only when necessary" - Buck Tilton

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2014, 09:04:29 PM »

HD TV is not huge volumes of data for starters, but putting that aside you get fast wireless speeds because you only have a short distance to go to the nearest tower, once you get there you are connected to the fibre network.  It is the fibre backbone that is giving you the high speed, not the wireless.  Comparing wireless bandwidth capability to fibre is like trying to compare a snail to a gazelle.

The other thing is that the radio spectrum is a finite resource, as technology improves we have been able to cram more data through the medium, but the fact remains that you are prone to interference with the more devices you use.  Try sending a MMS when you are in the middle of a packed football stadium and you'll see what I mean.

Theoretically at least, there is no limit to fibre throughput.
HDJ79 Ute - 100 Series Sahara - 2002 Kimberley Kamper - No ATS yet - Survivor of 5 McGirr trips-Cape 09,11,12,14 & Gulf 13

Offline Mik01

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Scenic Rim 4x4
« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2014, 09:38:35 PM »
HD TV is not huge volumes of data for starters

It is if I watch it via the internet. What's the difference?
Contact me for special MySwag prices on 4x4 accessories!
http://scenicrim4x4.com.au

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
« Reply #58 on: September 03, 2014, 05:19:39 AM »
It is if I watch it via the internet. What's the difference?

It seems that way, but it isn't. A 1080p 3D movie only needs around 10Mb/s, that is nothing really.  Like I said before, wireless is not the answer, especially satellite.  If you want reliable fast speed, you go fibre.

Offline Garfish

• Mini Marlin
  • Soft Floor Camper User
  • Have fun and enjoy
« Reply #59 on: September 03, 2014, 05:39:18 AM »
Made a toaster that makes toast instead of either warmed bread or charcoal. 
Ross
No camper or 4x4 😪

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #60 on: September 03, 2014, 06:22:23 AM »

I can't believe that people actually fall for this stupid conspiracy theory.  We have been to the moon six times - Apollo 11 to 17.  We have left stuff up there that people can track even now.  It's lunacy to suggest otherwise.

They even covered this on Big Bang Theory when they fired a laser at the moon
2013 Aussie Jays - Crusher      2013 Toyota Hilux. 

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #61 on: September 03, 2014, 06:44:33 AM »

the trouble is, the conspiracy buffs will tell you that unmanned craft put them there...

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
« Reply #62 on: September 03, 2014, 07:22:30 AM »

They did the same on mythbusters.   The LRO also took shots of the landing sites where you can still see the tracks made by the astronauts.

Offline HKB Electronics

• Hard Top Camper User
  • www.hkbelect.com
    • HKB Electronics
« Reply #63 on: September 03, 2014, 10:21:25 AM »
"The other thing is that the radio spectrum is a finite resource, as technology improves we have been able to cram more data through the medium, but the fact remains that you are prone to interference with the more devices you use.  Try sending a MMS when you are in the middle of a packed football stadium and you'll see what I mean.

Theoretically at least, there is no limit to fibre throughput."

There are a couple of points here that should be clarified, 3G/4G uses dynamic bandwidth, what this basically means is that the bandwidth is spread into two parts, data and voice. Voice is given priority, unused additional bandwidth is allocated for data calls, as the voice traffic increases data calls are shed, ie voice priority overrides data as it might be a 000 call for example.

In mass traffic situations it is not interference that causes the problem as all calls are handled sequentially and given a "time slot" keep in mind all the handsets operate on the same frequency within their allocated bandwidth , and are given a unique id (similar to ethernet LAN etc), they also have to wait for an available free packet to send if a collision occurs they will resend the packet. What this means is it is not interference it is lack of bandwidth that causes the problem. Bandwidth in this case is not actual frequency bandwidth but available power output from the cell, the more power the greater the modulation envelope (quadrature modulation) and the more channels (calls) the cell can handle.

For big events the Telcos can, and do put more call handling ability into the local cells by increasing the cells output transceiver modules and their power output if required, along with channel cards etc but there is a cost benefit ratio they will abide to. They will also install portable micro cells for big events etc like the Grandprix / Footy grand final etc to provide additional call handling ability.

Now for fibre, fibre does in reality have a throughput limit, ie how many "time slots" you can put down it, as the equipment connected to the fibre has a handling limit, this is why they are now using different colored laser so that they can add more
channels to the fibre. Generally though as Technology doubles I think from memory every 10 years you could say that
in ten years time the equipment will be able to handle twice the calls it does now, so on so on.

Why can't everyone have cheap wireless? Well one reason is bandwidth, with todays technology you just can't squeeze that many calls in, that's why your TV went digital to make more bandwidth available so that they could sell it to the Telcos.

Also keep in mind wireless is the Telcos premium product, Telstra initially designated their 3G roll out as the Jersey project and rightly so, it certainly turned out to be their cash cow. It is unlikely the prices will go down, Telstra must be very happy these days. most have moved onto mobile services, they get a premium return for their invest, they have let the fixed network run down to reduce costs and now the Government has to buy that off them as part of the deal to push their white Elephant, the NBN.

Ever wonder why Telstra was locked out of the initial NBN contracts? One reason was Telstra wouldn't give the Government an assurance that if the Government had to buy the Telstra local access network (they weren't sure they could "aquire" it legally without out paying Telstra compensation and it turned out they couldn't), that Telstra would guarantee not to use the money to expanded their 3G/4G network to undercut and compete directly against the NBN which they of course would have done.

Why did the Government have to build the NBN and not the Telcos? the Telco's aren't that stupid that's why!

Telstra a few years back was looking for a system to replace their aging Telephony network, the main suppliers weren't really interested in supply equipment as no one knew the direction Telecommunications was heading with IP Telelphony on rise, the only manufacture that had a product that looked like it might work off the shelf was a Chinese company, but at that time the upper management of Telstra was not pro Chinese. Telstra determined the only other viable contender was Alcatel so went with their system, many hundreds of millions (probably more like a billion) of dollars later the project was canned.

It is very dangerous to be a leader in the Technology markets, if your the first to jump one way and then everyone else follows as was the case with Telstra and 3G then your ahead, but if everyone else goes down a different path then you've just wasted hundreds of millions or billions of dollars.

The Government may learn the same lesson in the near future if a leap in Technology comes along and makes the NBN obsolete overnight.

Now where does this all lead? I remember seeing an article a few years back where a couple of scientist had stumbled onto something that was called co linked protons or something the like. The way they had described it was they could create two of these identical whatever's in a lab at the same time and then separate them, they then found if the attached a proton I think it was to one a proton instantly appeared on the other. It did not matter how far apart they separated the two "units" the same thing happened, one could be on the other side of the planet in a phone for example or on the other side of the galaxy.

They could not explain the process that caused phenomenon, but did point out there appeared to be no delay between the proton? being attached to one unit and a proton being attached to the other, and that this could lead to instantaneous communications to anywhere, or even matter transfer though the original item would most probably destroyed in the scanning and a perfect copy made at the other end rahter than the actual item physically transfered. One of the scientists indicated theoretically it was possible but that he would not be volunteering to hope into such a unit to test it out!

I did search awhile back to see where their upto but can no longer find any mention of it on the net, seems to have disappeared, if anyone else remembers the article and knows of a website involved in the project please let me know.

I suspect that such technology would not be released in the near term as there are is a lot of investment in the current communications industry and it would not be to their or their investors good interests for such technology to suddenly appear on the market.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 10:40:55 AM by HKB Electronics »
HKB Electronics, manufacturer of the Alternator Voltage Boosters

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #64 on: September 03, 2014, 12:09:42 PM »
Of course we wne to the moon and it is easily proved. There were about 6000 people directly involved with the project.

If it was a hoax someone would have got terminal cnacer or the like and with nothing to loose spilt the beans by now in some tell all interview

There is one constant in the unvirse that proves the above theory true

"everybody wants their 5 minutes of fame"
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline Ben.Archer

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #65 on: September 03, 2014, 01:14:17 PM »
Improved battery technology.  If it had improved at even the rate of microprocessor technology we would all have cars capable of 10,000k on a charge, phones and laptops that never ran out and petrol would be an old memory.....

Over to the conspiracy theorists......
2015 Land Rover Discovery 4
2000 90 Series Toyota Prado RV6
2013 MDC Off Road Step-Through V3 - Heavily modded and I am only just starting :-)

Offline terravista

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #66 on: September 03, 2014, 01:30:54 PM »
.....designed phones and calculators with the numbers in the same bloody layout.

Offline HKB Electronics

• Hard Top Camper User
  • www.hkbelect.com
    • HKB Electronics
« Reply #67 on: September 03, 2014, 01:31:45 PM »
Battery technology won't improve till the oil runs out. Maybe not even then, probably some form
of fuel cell will become the norm.

Offline HKB Electronics

• Hard Top Camper User
  • www.hkbelect.com
    • HKB Electronics
« Reply #68 on: September 03, 2014, 01:36:34 PM »
Me I would like paint the lasts forever like the old plastic bags, or grass that only
grows to 20mm then stops, or best of all some sort of coating that is graffiti proof
or nano mites that can clean away the mess that some think is artistic.

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
« Reply #69 on: September 03, 2014, 01:45:14 PM »
In mass traffic situations it is not interference that causes the problem as all calls are handled sequentially and given a "time slot" keep in mind all the handsets operate on the same frequency within their allocated bandwidth , and are given a unique id (similar to ethernet LAN etc), they also have to wait for an available free packet to send if a collision occurs they will resend the packet. What this means is it is not interference it is lack of bandwidth that causes the problem. Bandwidth in this case is not actual frequency bandwidth but available power output from the cell, the more power the greater the modulation envelope (quadrature modulation) and the more channels (calls) the cell can handle.

My point is that there is a limit to how much the radio spectrum can sustain.  Multiplexing technology has improved leaps and bounds over the years but there will be a point where you just can't cram more into a certain band.

Now for fibre, fibre does in reality have a throughput limit, ie how many "time slots" you can put down it, as the equipment connected to the fibre has a handling limit, this is why they are now using different colored laser so that they can add more channels to the fibre.

With current technology the limiting factor is not the medium, but the transmission/receiving hardware connected either side of it.  From a practical perspective there will be a point where the attenuation of certain frequencies will become too great to be of much value, but we are nowhere near approaching that.

Generally though as Technology doubles I think from memory every 10 years you could say that in ten years time the equipment will be able to handle twice the calls it does now, so on so on.

I think you are referring to Moore's law, where the number of transistors on a chip doubles every two years.  Only loosely related to this discussion but you are correct, technology will evolve and bandwidth throughput will improve.

I did search awhile back to see where their upto but can no longer find any mention of it on the net, seems to have disappeared, if anyone else remembers the article and knows of a website involved in the project please let me know.

You are talking about quantum entanglement there has been number of experiments done is this area, the most recent I think was in Africa with a paired particle in the USA.  Anyways, here is a link to the Japanese doing it - http://www.technologyreview.com/view/520886/japanese-telco-smashes-entanglement-distance-record/

Battery technology won't improve till the oil runs out. Maybe not even then, probably some form of fuel cell will become the norm.

Mobile phones have done more for battery research than what peak oil ever will.

Offline HKB Electronics

• Hard Top Camper User
  • www.hkbelect.com
    • HKB Electronics
« Reply #70 on: September 03, 2014, 03:31:32 PM »
Symon, thanks for the link.

"I think you are referring to Moore's law, where the number of transistors on a chip doubles every two years.  Only loosely related to this discussion but you are correct, technology will evolve and bandwidth throughput will improve"

I was referring to technology in general, in the past a certain technology may have lasted 40,
replacement technology for 20, current technology 10 years future technology 5 years.

Yes mobile phones have driven battery technology to date, however I'm sure when the oil runs out or the
climate demands you will see much more active development in this area from the oil companies and the
automotive industry. That's assuming we aren't all running around with fusion reactors in our cars by then :D

The below is a link to an interesting article regarding fibre optic capacity, we may be closer than you think to
hitting the maximum transmission rate for the existing fibres:

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-11544459
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 03:50:35 PM by HKB Electronics »

Offline grafy82

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #71 on: September 03, 2014, 04:40:23 PM »
Improved battery technology.  If it had improved at even the rate of microprocessor technology we would all have cars capable of 10,000k on a charge, phones and laptops that never ran out and petrol would be an old memory.....

Over to the conspiracy theorists......

I have a mate who's an engineer that is working on a new battery technology and is being handed large wads of cash to make it happen. He has discovered/developed a crystal that has very minimal degredation through discharge and recharge cycles. He's talking 20-30000 cycles for the life of the battery. I told him to watch out for oil company reps coming to his house for a visit.
My Trailer Build
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=16864.0

You can't believe everything you read on the Internet. - Julius Caesar

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #72 on: September 03, 2014, 04:55:32 PM »
Fuel cell / battery renewable energy tech is out there already, but while oil still  fuels the world we wont see it used like it should . >:(
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline ras

• Tent User
« Reply #73 on: September 03, 2014, 05:13:31 PM »
With the advances occuring in battery fuel cell technology as well as solar, i am hoping that in the not too distant future, most houses will be able to be set up totally off grid. Even in cities... With the fixed cost of electricity the way it is, the tipping point will come suddenly, and all of a sudden, for an initial cost effective outlay (payback within 2-4 years), no more power bills.. Good for the consumer, not so good for companies holding all these stranded assets..

The other idea i like is genetic engineering to be able to "shrink" endangeared species, so they can be pets... A lion/tiger the size of a domestic cat? Maybe a 2 foot fully grown elephant? At least we could preserve them in some form instead of extinction..Would make for interesting pets too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Offline Ben.Archer

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #74 on: September 03, 2014, 05:43:52 PM »

The below is a link to an interesting article regarding fibre optic capacity, we may be closer than you think to
hitting the maximum transmission rate for the existing fibres:

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-11544459

This article is interesting but has been proven to be a little bit of a scare story. 

Technologies such as Orthogonal frequency division multiplexing and fast Fourier transformation have proven that massive jumps in capability are possible.

Recently the Ultra High-Speed Optical Communications (UHSOC) group at the Denmark Technical University demonstrated 43Tbps down a single fibre using a single laser.  This is a massive jump over the previous record set by the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology in Germany of 32Tbps (the equivalent of 700 DVD's in less than a second) in 2011.

Seeing as the vast majority of fibres laid are multi strand 200+ not being uncommon you are not going to be hitting limits on fibre capacity soon....

What is often of far more concern is the latency of the network, after all who cares if you can dump 700 DVD's in a second if the network responds like a slug on traqualisers.
2015 Land Rover Discovery 4
2000 90 Series Toyota Prado RV6
2013 MDC Off Road Step-Through V3 - Heavily modded and I am only just starting :-)