Author Topic: Advice on caravan ensuite vs external only shower  (Read 10726 times)

Offline CorzaDry

• Swag User
Advice on caravan ensuite vs external only shower
« on: February 04, 2019, 08:32:09 AM »
Hi Everyone,

There is a heap of knowledge on here so hoping I can pick people's brains. The wife and I are seriously looking at buying a van with an external shower and no toilet. We have portaloo already and are quite familiar with it. My dad thinks we are crazy for getting a van with no internal sh/toilet since we have kids (one 2YO and one due in May). Is it really that bad not having an internal ensuite? This van has a queen bed and two bunks. We have done a fair bit of travelling with the camper and have never found the shower/toilet thing an issue.  My dad thinks its an issue in some free camps and also just having kids going too and fro from the shower block etc. For the next few years, I see small trips away to bush camps/national parks/van parks and maybe one week away trips with some overnight stops to get a bit further away but most of us know what its like with small kids!

The van we are looking at is a Tango Family Diamond (pictured). I like it because it has a 6" chassis, single axle, good storage, its full height and also only weighs 1750kg unloaded. My 2012 lux can only tow 2500kg, so buying anything too big will mean more money spent in the not too distant future on a new car. I am hoping we can get another 5-10 years out of the lux before needing to move it on. This van is $39990 on road. Any advice appreciated!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 08:33:41 AM by CorzaDry »

Offline BBull

• Tent User
Re: Advice on caravan ensuite vs external only shower
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 08:41:33 AM »
Hi Everyone,

There is a heap of knowledge on here so hoping I can pick people's brains. The wife and I are seriously looking at buying a van with an external shower and no toilet. We have portaloo already and are quite familiar with it. My dad thinks we are crazy for getting a van with no internal sh/toilet since we have kids (one 2YO and one due in May). Is it really that bad not having an internal ensuite? This van has a queen bed and two bunks. We have done a fair bit of travelling with the camper and have never found the shower/toilet thing an issue.  My dad thinks its an issue in some free camps and also just having kids going too and fro from the shower block etc. For the next few years, I see small trips away to bush camps/national parks/van parks and maybe one week away trips with some overnight stops to get a bit further away but most of us know what its like with small kids!

The van we are looking at is a Tango Family Diamond (pictured). I like it because it has a 6" chassis, single axle, good storage, its full height and also only weighs 1750kg unloaded. My 2012 lux can only tow 2500kg, so buying anything too big will mean more money spent in the not too distant future on a new car. I am hoping we can get another 5-10 years out of the lux before needing to move it on. This van is $39990 on road. Any advice appreciated!
Biggest issue these days is grey water in a outside shower for public and private camping areas. The water just goes onto the ground. With more and more places requiring a grey water tank to capture this waste you may run into a problem at certain places eg Big Red Bash.
We still have a camper with a outside shower but we do a lot of of the beat camping so it is not to much of a issue for us at present.

Offline CorzaDry

• Swag User
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 08:47:51 AM »
Are there any devices that can capture and hold for an external shower? Or maybe I could make something up.

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 08:53:42 AM »
You could stand in a tub or similar, like a kids wading pool, then pump the water into a tank. Bit of mucking around but should work ???

The other thing with internal via external is having to do a toilet run at 3am while it's absolutely pelting down outside! ::)
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline BBull

• Tent User
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 08:55:32 AM »
Are there any devices that can capture and hold for an external shower? Or maybe I could make something up.
Honestly I haven't even looked at it. If we go to a van park you just use amenities, otherwise we are out bush away form everyone.
For the amount of times it would be a issue you would be able to work around it.

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2019, 09:38:34 AM »

Offline glenm64

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2019, 09:46:50 AM »

Hi Everyone,

We (wife and I) have a van with toilet and shower, it was a must on the tick off list when looking for one. We tend to avoid caravan parks, crowds and the likes. After 5 years heres my thoughts.
Firstly, everything is a compromise when it comes to van selection.
Want everything in a van? Its gonna be bigger and heavier. Then the extra size and weight causes problems when you want to get into some bush camps.
If you have been camping using portaloo and bush shower, having the van will be miles in front of the camper in terms of ease of set up/packing away, storage etc.
We have travelled heaps, and the grey water issue is bit overblown.
Even though we have ensuite in van, we take bush dunny to most places where we can, or use long drop dunnies if provided.
We try to avoid camping in rainy weather, we head where its good, so getting up and going to dunny in rain is not really an issue. It may have happened once. The Mrs will use the dunny for #1 at night sometimes, so yes she loves that feature if its needed.
The inside shower is great. Im lazy, so the no set up and ease of use if fantastic.

In the end you have to be happy with your selection, not anyone else.
Yes after a few years maybe you will wish you had internal ensuite.
Now to confuse you, why buy a new van? Look for a good used one. You will save heaps, then if you do want to upgrade as the kids get bigger and you get older, then your not out of pocket too much. Let someone else take the hit on depreciation. I saved about 40k on mine compared to what I was about to buy, and couldnt be happier with it.

Cheers Glen

There's a big difference between kneeling down
......... and bending over.
The following users thanked this post: CorzaDry

Offline CorzaDry

• Swag User
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2019, 10:45:12 AM »
Thanks for that Glen,

Size is important to me, this van is 7.5m long total length so based on where we have been previously I believe we would get it in there. I've been looking for second-hand vans, wife doesn't want a pop top or expander, which a lot of them are in our price range but isn't too phased on the outside shower or toilet. Buying band new means we will get a long period out of it also with vans around this price around already close to 6 years old. Perhaps in 15 years we can pull out the bunks at the back and put an ensuite in is what we are thinking (we would be 45 by then).

Good to hear grey water isn't a huge issue, we certainly have never had a problem showering anywhere.

Offline CorzaDry

• Swag User
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2019, 10:46:09 AM »
Drifta makes this shower tray
https://www.drifta.com.au/product/shower-tray-and-accessories/

I did see this and I do like the ensuite pull out cover they make, I reckon that would be a must for an external shower.

KingBilly

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2019, 11:23:30 AM »
For your outdoor shower

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Foldable-PVC-Pet-Pool-Swimming-Cooling-Cat-Dog-Puppy-Bathtub-Indoor-Outdoor-M-L-/223139215852

KB

KB the only problem with that option is that in QLD you would need to have a complying pool safety fence, and get a pool safety certificate every time it is set up. I think the rules kick in at 300mm deep.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 11:29:41 AM by rags »

Offline Rodt

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2019, 11:31:52 AM »
wife doesn't want a pop top or expander, which a lot of them are in our price range but isn't too phased on the outside shower or toilet.

Good to hear grey water isn't a huge issue, we certainly have never had a problem showering anywhere.
You have said the key point I think in this whole discussion. We have only just recently bought a 2nd hand van and the wife was extremely adamant that it had to have an ensuite so that is what we got. ;D She was over going outside in the middle of the night. As we know it is a little bit harder for the fairer sex in this regard so I deferred to her wishes.

IMO the issue of containing grey water is a bit hard to know 100%. More and more people on various forums and groups are saying that they are seeing signs etc that are pretty specific on containing grey water. My van doesn't have a grey water tank but when we decide to start doing free camping we will be buying one of those little (40ltrs) portable tank on wheels to have just in case. Potentially could be a bigger issue in the eastern states than the west based on what I have been reading but who really knows

While I 100% agree with the 2nd hand point of view it comes down to a personal choice so good luck with it

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2019, 11:33:32 AM »
Got 3 mates that bought vans the past 2 years with shower and toilet inside, several didn’t really care to much about it but wanted to keep thier partners happy, all 3 now say once you have one there’s no wanting to go back to the other way. Resale of your van will be a big issue also, I know you likely plan to keep it for a long time and say that’s not gunna be a big deal, but non ensuited vans aren’t as desirable to buy for many these days, so could be hard to sell down the track.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2019, 01:07:28 PM »
After lots of travel around this great country, don't let the old grey water issue cloud your judgment. Any camp ground that has a grey water limitation just move on and find another camping spot.  But really, they are few and far between.  We have a caravan and a camper trailer and after 3 years and 43,000 kilometres towing our van we would not go without a ensuite.  They make your travels so much easier and camping options so much better. We mainly free or low cost camp (i.e. show grounds).  Having said that, the more comforts you have in your van the more you tend to spend time in the van. In bad weather this is a good thing but once you get spoiled you are in there in good weather. But having a ensuite does add to the weight and size of your van, and cost. We have an outdoor shower also on our van but have never used it. But as I said, we would never go without a ensuite in a van, or a diesel heater ;D.  Kevin
Kris and Kev
2008 TTD Landcruiser 200 GXL, Aust Off Road Camper, 20ft Bushtracker.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2019, 01:44:57 PM »
Quote from: CorzaDry
Is it really that bad not having an internal ensuite?
No.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Kangaron

• "Don't make excuses, Make it Happen."
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2019, 02:51:36 PM »
  Having said that, the more comforts you have in your van the more you tend to spend time in the van. In bad weather this is a good thing but once you get spoiled you are in there in good weather

In my very limited stays in van parks it always amazed me, even in great weather, come 6pm, daylight savings, and most places are deserted.

Offline laurie_lewis

• Tent User
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2019, 05:08:20 PM »
Complete Campsite have a system for their drop down shower module that is basically a fabric shower tray with corner drainage point and a pump to a grey water tank.  Sorry can’t remember where I saw it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2019, 05:26:17 PM »

The other thing with internal via external is having to do a toilet run at 3am while it's absolutely pelting down outside! ::)

A lot of campers have a porta potti somewhere inside. Same as you can have in a van.  That saves going outside in the night. ( I use a hospital bottle ).  Seeing as most vanners don't use the dunny for no2's, there are times someone is going for a walk of a night !!
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2019, 06:03:22 PM »
If you stick with an external shower than one of these are the best, we have one hanging off the side of our car....(camper van)

https://www.drifta.com.au/product/drifta-shower-ensuite/

I haven’t worried about collecting grey water....and no option for us

We have a portable toilet in our car, use it for No 1’s and No2’s.......I struggle understand why those with caravans with en-suite including toilets ban No 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2019, 06:36:55 PM »
Seeing as most vanners don't use the dunny for no2's, there are times someone is going for a walk of a night !!
not sure I agree with the "most vanners" theory....out of the 6 people i know with an ensuited van, all of them use the toilets for thier intended purpose.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2019, 06:40:33 PM »
A lot of campers have a porta potti somewhere inside. Same as you can have in a van.  That saves going outside in the night. ( I use a hospital bottle ).  Seeing as most vanners don't use the dunny for no2's, there are times someone is going for a walk of a night !!

My solution for our expanda. (Just hard pissing upside down( buggered if I know why a photo rotates and how you correct it)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 06:43:20 PM by rags »

Offline Kangaron

• "Don't make excuses, Make it Happen."
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2019, 06:49:55 PM »
The following users thanked this post: rags

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2019, 07:04:34 PM »
not sure I agree with the "most vanners" theory....out of the 6 people i know with an ensuited van, all of them use the toilets for thier intended purpose.

Well there you go ??
I only know a couple of non crapping van owners !!
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Alan Loy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2019, 07:02:53 AM »
I seem to be seeing a trend towards some areas that will only accept "fully self contained" camping.  How far this trend goes remains to be seen but when you look at American RVs it may become more common.  I saw a caravan park that doesn't have a toilet block and only catered for 'self contained"

If I was buying a caravan without an ensuite I would go 2nd hand as the prices are quite good (they're less fashionable)  if buying new I would think about resale and consider an ensuite (which I don't want)

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2019, 07:23:26 AM »
The Grey water collectors are easy to track as they usually open the tank to drain as they drive away in the morning . Don't try to pass a van for the 1st 5Ks of the day , but they do store their Grey water .

Good little Dippers arnt they       ???                      :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust